View Poll Results: How do you rate the vintage Scare Glow figure? (with 10 being the best)

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 point

1 1.22%
  • 2 points

0 0%
  • 3 points

0 0%
  • 4 points

0 0%
  • 5 points

2 2.44%
  • 6 points

0 0%
  • 7 points

3 3.66%
  • 8 points

13 15.85%
  • 9 points

16 19.51%
  • 10 points

47 57.32%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scare Glow vintage figure review thread

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar

Scare Glow vintage figure review thread

Well, last week's thread, on the Sorceress, had an astounding response, our best yet. Let's hope this weeks fares as well.
    It's another late release, one of the most mysterious, and one of the most sought after complete... it is, of course, SCARE GLOW.

Scare Glow was one of the last figures released. As fewer figures were selling by this late stage, less were produced, making it somewhat rarer as a result.
    It was a standard 'twist-waist' figure, but it's 'gimmick' was that it (echo-y voice) glowed in the dark! It actually looked not too bad in a dark room.

Mr. Glow came with a cape, and a scythe / halberd, of which came in two colours - a green version, and a glow in the dark version. Finding a good condition example of the figure second hand, with both halberd and cape, is one of the most hunted on the MOTU second hand market.

I have two Scare Glows in my collection; my first had a home-made cape that, although not the original, was very well done and a reasonable substitute; more recently, I bought one complete with original cape, and it came with halberd but is a standard grey Castle Grayskull one (making this weapon one of the few that I need to complete my collection).
    Incidentally, this second Scare Glow was the one that kind Mr. Postman decided to throw over our back gate, breaking its arm joint. A dob of superglue fixed it and no-one would ever know, but even so... and the most annoying bit was that I wasn't even out at the time!!

Anyway... Scare Glow, being a skeleton, obviously has a resemblance to Skeletor; and the figure's tag-line really confused things - "Evil ghost of Skeletor". Now, did this mean that he was merely a ghost working Skeletor (just as Faker was "Evil robot of Skeletor"), or does it mean that Mr. Glow was actually Skeletor's ghost from the future? Being released so late in the line's life, there was little material released about Scare Glow, and so the matter has been debated by fans ever since.

Being one of the last figures released in the toy-line, Scare Glow was way too late to appear in Filmation form. It would have been interesting to see what they did with him.

Scare Glow didn't appear in either figure form or animated form with the 200x revamp; he would have made quite a cool revamped figure. There are several customs of what fans speculate he might have been like.

All-in-all... Scare Glow is a little tough to rate, because his rareness, and the mystery surrounding him, maybe make him seem a little more special that he actually is; but even so, he's still a great figure, one I really like. I give him 9 out of 10.

Well, those are my ramblings on the character.
    I'd really like to hear your thoughts, comments, criticisms, memories and anything else Scare Glow related. And whether you post your comments or not, don't forget to rate the figure in the poll!
    Last edited by Spacedust; April 6, 2007 at 04:58pm.
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

Without a question

This FIGURE (yes, just that, we canīt compare to a cartoon character) deserves a 10. This is without any doubt the most intriguing beautiful figure of all. Not for nothing is the most expensive...
    Emile

KNOCK-OFF MESSIAH galaxy warrior's Avatar
    the scareglow figure is a great figures and well thought out. what a great expression of a glowing skeleton within mattels motu confines. the charater itself is kinda lost. i believe him to be a ghost in control by skeletor but i have read cannon where it does refer to him as skeletors ghost which would be anyones first guess. since he's a hoodless skeletor. but he'll remain cannonly lost for ever. if only the line had lived on longer we would have so many anwsers and even more questions

THE CONTINUING WORLD OF MOTU

http://cotuworld.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by galaxy warrior View Post
    if only the line had lived on longer we would have so many anwsers and even more questions
    Either that, or he'd be another character who was little used and then forgotten about, leaving us wondering for ever more.
    Last edited by Spacedust; April 6, 2007 at 10:23pm.
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

Evil Henchman of Hordak Louis649's Avatar
    Scareglow is probably the best figure from the MOTU last wave of the classic line because of its unique feature: glow-in-the-dark. No other figure has been made to glow in the dark before(except for Evil Lyn's sceptre but that's an accesory/weapon) and that gimmick alone makes it stand over all the figures from MOTU last wave and over some of the figures from earlier waves.
    I'm Skeletor, master of evil! All of you should show respect for the awful one.

I am Grizzlor #1 fan!

I give it a 9. Only because after a few years my figure has lost its glow. I mean it still glows just not as bright as it use to. Still very good concept and accessories.
    "A Person Who Is Willing To Die For Someone Else, Has Nothing To Live For Themselves!"

~ Me ~

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=141117

Quote Originally Posted by Spacedust View Post
    Scare Glow didn't appear in either figure form or animated form with the 200x revamp; he would have made quite a cool revamped figure. There are several customs of what fans speculate he might have been like.
    i thought he showed up in the MVC comic briefly...

the classic Scare Glow is an awesome figure...visually so good and striking...one of the cheesiest names though...

Quote Originally Posted by Jobber View Post
    I give it a 9. Only because after a few years my figure has lost its glow. I mean it still glows just not as bright as it use to. Still very good concept and accessories.
    One of mine has gone the same; it's gone a bit yellow-y and doesn't glow as well; but it still does a little and is still good to look at.

Quote Originally Posted by skeletoncrew View Post
    Actually, he might have done; I confess I haven't really progress onto the 200x comics as of yet, I prefer the vintage material.
    ~jay firestorm~

He gets a ten from me. I loved the whole glow in the dark gimmick and the mystery about the figure adds to the rating.
    Mike Jr. 1983-2008 the void left will never be filled. Rest in Peace Brother.
    Sgt Weigand

eBay Feedback

" Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elswhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
    --Calvin and Hobbes

A 10 here. I never got him as a kid. He's very cool looking, great action feature, and one of the fure characters with a cape, which were usually cool.

Also, I always enjoyed the idea that he WAS the Ghost of Skeletor as in from the future and perhaps Skeletor's next step in how he changes (like Keldor turning blue from the magics, then KEldor getting a Skull head somehow, and then later, a Ghost... maybe like how Jedi become ghosts, but the evil version of that,... But Let's not start an hateful debate, this is just how I thought of it). These days, I agree I sway a little to the other way, but still think there's some strong connection between Skeley and Scareglow (mostly since I'm pretty interested in a fan work that negates the idea that they might be the same)

Anyway, one of my favorite figures!
    "I won Dungeons and Dragons! And it was advanced!!" -Pierce Hawthorne-

i gave

i gave it a 7 i almost gave it an 8(i used to have one before trading it and am, still looking for replacement its not really that hard of a figure to find since they are always on "evil bay")
    Starchild's #1 fan!!

Quote Originally Posted by sonofblaine View Post
    These days, I agree I sway a little to the other way, but still think there's some strong connection between Skeley and Scareglow (mostly since I'm pretty interested in a fan work that negates the idea that they might be the same)
    Always jumping to conclusions...

Anyway, never had this guy as a kid, but I immediately became obsessed with him once I saw him on a card-back. Yeah, mostly because I wanted to know how Skeletor and his own ghost could be in the same wave.

But heck, Hot Rod and Rodimus were in the same wave, so it didn't bother me too much

Anyway, sweet design, cool action feature, I dream of the day when the Staction gets released.

Oh, yeah, and SUCH character potential. Hehe.

D/L
    "I am convinced that the only people worthy of consideration in this world are the unusual ones. For the common folks are like the leaves of a tree, and live and die unnoticed."

-The Scarecrow, The Marvelous Land of Oz.

Not only does it apply nicely to Masters, but is probably a deep truth.

Powers of Preternia Podcast Video Series
    http://www.youtube.com/user/destrong...s?feature=mhum

KNOCK-OFF MESSIAH galaxy warrior's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skeletoncrew View Post

the classic Scare Glow is an awesome figure...visually so good and striking...one of the cheesiest names though...
    actually didnt he show up in a charity comic and start a whole fiasco with mattel??

THE CONTINUING WORLD OF MOTU

http://cotuworld.blogspot.com/

If Scare Glow appeared in the Filmation cartoon, I wonder how he would have been portrayed? No doubt dumbed down very much into another generic Skeletor goon, his back-story may never have even been hinted at.
    Or maybe we'd get another far-out sudden origin, just as Skeletor suddenly conjured up Faker out of nowhere in "The Shaping Staff".

The 200x version would probably have given him a more definate back-story. In general I prefer the Filmation series, but credit where credits due, the Mike Young Productions version did fresh out alot more of the secondary characters.
    ~jay firestorm~

Heroic Warrior
    9/10.
    Ass-kicking, rocking and rolling figure. I think itīs the best of the last wave. I has great desing, concept, weapon, looking, etc. Awesome.
    Sadly, I donīt have it.
    He does not gets a 10 beacause for me only He Man get it.

I said 8. There are many other figures that I like better.

Scare Glow is one of my absolute favorite classic figures of all time! He's simply one of the coolest & most interesting looking figures Mattel ever released. Pretty remarkable considering he is a relatively simplistic figure in terms of design. Personally I have always found him to be a very intriguing character. I hope this is an appropriate time to ask-but, I have several questions regarding the halberd color variations...which is rarer, green or glow in the dark? Is the glow in the dark halberd on US card rarer than the green US carded version? Was there ever a green halberd released on any non US issues? Is there a big price difference between the two variants? Which color halberd is more desirable loose?
    I certainly don't mean to derail the main topic of this thread, but I hoped with the focus being Scare Glow it would be a good opportunity to get some of my questions answered by some of you kind and knowledgeable collectors. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Creasy Bear View Post
    Scare Glow is one of my absolute favorite classic figures of all time! He's simply one of the coolest & most interesting looking figures Mattel ever released. Pretty remarkable considering he is a relatively simplistic figure in terms of design. Personally I have always found him to be a very intriguing character.
    I think this is much of the figures charm; it was simple and basic, at a time when many were becoming "gimmick" heavy. Even without the glow-in-the-dark feature, I think it would have been a very cool figure anyway.
    ~jay firestorm~

I always heard the glowing halberd was the rarer one. I own the glowing one, but I have to admit I like the green one better for the nice colour match with the purple. I gave him a 7.

Widget
    I had Scare Glow when I was a kid, and I always though he was kind of ugly. The design on his body is pretty awesome, as is the cape, but I never liked his head. After so many years of the stylish Skeletor, I couldn't tolerate a skull-faced guy with a bare head! I thought it was kind of creepy, which I guess fits the character pretty well...

Yeah, he's seven shades of awesome. Not only did he have a great "action" feature of glowing in the dark (and doing it well!), but he had a great motif to boot. A halberd and a wicked cape? That's some seriously mo-fo stylin' right there!

I think what helps sell this character even more than this is the fact that he was genuinely cool. He was one of the very few evil people who ever stood up to Skeletor - and that's saying something (although his choice of calling Skeletor "skull face" were somewhat hypocritic...). Add this to the fact that the very comic he appeared in ("The Search for Keldor") is possibly the most controversial and favoured mini-comic of all the toy line and you're on a winner.

I've got nuthin' but love for Scare Glow.

Now shut up and don't you dare say "Skeletor's ghost"...

ABSA-FRIGGIN-BRILLIANT figure

just a cool idea for a character, with a great super-power (I mean, WHY hadn't they thought of this sooner)...

The accessories were amazing (I had the green halberd, as I grew up in the U.S.). I have both now though just because I hunted and wanted the glow in the dark one LOL... but I actually prefer the green one.

I actually also prefer that he is Skeletor's ghost from the furture... and that would make him even more interesting in the continuity of the new MYP line, because of all the time travel possibilities (in the new comic) that started to come to light...

He haunted my Eternia playset well and was a good foe for King Randor... always making him think his son or daughter were in danger or dead.
    A Want List of Sorts: Eldor, Sweet Bee, Arrow, Spinnerella, NA She-Ra, Mermista, Gwildor, Hover-Bots, Tung Lasher, Angella, Ninjor, Huntara, Oo-Larr, Lizard Man, Sssqueeze, Peekablue... and all the other POP & NA characters.

I've given it 8 points.

It's a great concept and really nice figure. But it lost one point due to his body, arms and legs being painted rather unrealistic, and another point because his "Evil Ghost of Skeletor" subtitle still confuses countless fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Reilly View Post
    I've given it 8 points.

It's a great concept and really nice figure. But it lost one point due to his body, arms and legs being painted rather unrealistic, and another point because his "Evil Ghost of Skeletor" subtitle still confuses countless fans.
    Personally I think the uncertaintly over the "Evil Ghost of Skeletor" tag is part of the figure's intreague.
    ~jay firestorm~

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    Scare Glow is one of my fave characters, I never owned the figure but remember seeing him in stores. I have the figure now, and he just looks so evil and so mysterious and I was so happy to see him turn up in the new comic, even if it was brief.

The glow in the dark feature was a really good action feature and the simple cloak and staff really work.

Can't wait to see what the 4HM staction will be like.

Figure Rating - 10/10