View Poll Results: How do you rate the vintage Leech figure? (with 10 being the best)

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 point

1 4.55%
  • 2 points

0 0%
  • 3 points

1 4.55%
  • 4 points

0 0%
  • 5 points

1 4.55%
  • 6 points

1 4.55%
  • 7 points

5 22.73%
  • 8 points

4 18.18%
  • 9 points

8 36.36%
  • 10 points

1 4.55%

Thread: Leech vintage figure review thread

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar

Leech vintage figure review thread

A disappointingly quiet thread last week looking at Dragon Blaster Skeletor. I've come to the conclusion that the threads are no longer getting the hits now they're tucked away in the sub-forum.

Anyway, let's see if this week fares any better as we take a peek at that giant green energy (or blood?) sucker, LEECH.

Leach was released as one of the original memebers of the Evil Horde in Wave 4. A giant leech-man (did the name give it away?! ), this evil sucker had a bigger body than usual, and a large mouth. When you pushed the mouth against a flat surface, you could press the button on the figure's back to make it stick to the surface.

His hands are also suction cups, although the angle of them made them difficult to use.

As a kid, I was kind of split over Leech. In one respect, he felt over-bulky and a bit clunky. On the other hand, he had a great action feature!

Leech comes with a bold red version of the Horde crossbow, although can also be found (as with my original childhood figure) with a much darker maroon version.

Prototype shots showed him with a smaller lip around his mouth - it was made bigger for the final release, presumably to make him easier to stick. The prototype also had more detailed paintwork (all the ones that I own don't even have the Horde emblem on his arm painted).

But what did Leech suck? The more child-friendly versions suggested that he sucked "life-force-power-type-thing", but my friends and that had none of that - in our battles, he sucked every last drop of blood from his victims.

As with the other original Horde members, Leech appeared in the 'She-Ra: Princess of Power' cartoon series. His voicework was pretty good, and he appeared fairly regularly.

The character did not have a 200x revamped figure, but more recently has had a pretty good staction figure.

All-in-all, although he is a bit clunky, I'll give the vintage figure 8 out of 10.

So there are my thoughts on the ol' sucker. Now I'd really like to hear your own thoughts, memories and comments. And whether you post or not, don't forget to rate the figure in the poll!
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

Chris here...

Leech is a great figure, when I was a kid I used to love sticking him to the fridge! I agree with you about the over-bulkiness, but it's worth it for the fantastic action feature - I give him a 9 out of 10!

Take care...
    Are you fed up with the problems you've been experiencing buying from MattyCollector.com?

If so, please consider joining the Facebook group Mattel Toys - Petition for Change, to present a united voice to Mattel calling for change.

MOTU Classics is an amazing toyline, and collecting it should be fun. Let's try and make a difference.
    --------

www.thundercatslair.org

Another thing you could do with Leech was give yourself (very mild) lovebites to show off to your friends. (Note: very mild!)
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

The Demon of Screamin' JonnyTyler's Avatar
    I gave Leech a 9! The Evil Horde were my Favorite charactors in the Masters of the Universe world when I was a kid. I got them all one year for my birthday, including the Fright Zone, but not Leech!!! Hordak, Grizzlor, Mantenna, Modulock, and the Fright Zone, but No LEECH!!!! And for the longest time too, I couldn't find him in stores. So for about a year or so, Leech, for me, kinda became this forbidden fruit. I would look at his pictures on the back of the mini comics and wish I had him. He looked so cool.

Alot of my adventures had Hordak and the Horde planning to invade Grayskull's dungeon to rescue Leech, but I always had to have them lose, cause I didn't have him.

Then one day, I was "Garage Saleing" with my Grandma, and at one place they had a Leech sitting there on one of their tables. I think I shreiked like a little girl!!! He was 2 dollars, and my grandma bought him for me!!! He even had his crossbow(maroon), and I couldn't wait to get home and finally finish my epic battle to free Leech from the pits of Grayskull!!

Awesome figure, neat as hell action feature. I read above how you guys used to stick him to the fridge, yeah, me too. that seemed to be the best surface he'd stick to. And i loved that he was clunky, or bulky, made him seem that much more imposing to the other figures, especially Teela...hehhehehehehehe... Aside from Hordak, Leeech is my favorite Horde member. And I still feel a little cheated that The She Ra cartoon stole the Horde away from the Masters of the Universe. But still, easily a 9 out of 10 for me.

Heroic Warrior
    Clunky, yes. I gave him an 8, even though he couldn't use very many weapons or ride in any of the vehicles. He just looked so cool that I couldn't help but like him.
    "Tri-Klops, Master of Vision. I will need your gamma vision to see around EPA guidelines!"

-Skeletor, evil master of Housing and Urban Development

On the other hand, bulky at least gives some size difference, seeing as in the vintage line just about every figure was the same size.

At least you can re-enact the mini-comic 'Leech - The Master of Power Suction Unleashed!' better.
    ~jay firestorm~

This was the worst piece of crap ever released in the MOTU line. Add to the fact it had a terrilbly drawn comic and you get a 1. I always wanted the figure redone on a smaller scale. Oh and I could never get the suction to work, even thought the figure sucked overall.
    Mike Jr. 1983-2008 the void left will never be filled. Rest in Peace Brother.
    Sgt Weigand

eBay Feedback

" Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elswhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
    --Calvin and Hobbes

Harsh!

I am on the opposite end. As soon as I saw the Horde commercial I knew I had to have this guy. His suction power worked great for me and I loved his bulk. He was the real powerhouse of the Horde and I would often partner him with Grizzlor and have them throw the good guys around.

His mini-comic sucked though, truly. It's a surreal and poorly written/drawn affair.

I loved his ears/eyebrow combo sculpt and his huge fang filled mouth. He was a real menace during playtime.
    Always looking for new clients!

My eBay feedback

My Org Feedback

Like He-Fan and Jonnytyler, I gave Leech a 9. His bulk appearance suits him perfectly. And what a good idea to make him able to stick on walls! Only one catch: he is too big to fit in any vehicle!

One of the first Horde members I got as a child. I like him being bigger, make's him stand out more. Good action feature too.

Good figure but wish he was lighter green similar to cartoon colours.

I think he sometimes looked odd standing up I mean he was quite a heavy figure compared to the rest but really cool addition.

Now only if the staction figure was made for playing with 20 years ago I would have happily said Leech was the best of the lot well 2nd after old Whiplash.

Leech gets 7 from me.

I like this AF, but in the Horde there are other better AF! Voted 7!

Nice figure.
    The gleam of the Power Sword lights your way as you enter the fantastic world of Eternia...

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    loved he was bigger than the other figures & could stick to walls.
    what a fun feature.