View Poll Results: Should a new movie be an 'origin' story or not?

Voters
127. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

95 74.80%
  • No

32 25.20%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should a new movie be an 'origin' story or not?

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar

Should a new movie be an 'origin' story or not?

Do you think that any new movie should be an 'origin' (ie. of Prince Adam being given his magical Sword of Power, turning into He-Man for the first time, first encounter with Skeletor, etc.)?

Or would that bog things down too much? Maybe a more standard story, just with basic introductions, which would give the plot more time to be fleshsed out?

(BTW, if it was an origin story, I hope it would be better than the terrible MYP opening three-parter!)
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

I say yes origin story but with alot of new elements thrown in as well.
    MOTU FANATIC 4EVER

Justin said they're building He-Man from the ground up, and that the movie is an Adam origin story and a Skeletor origin story. Pretty much it sounds like that's set in stone.

As to whether I think he should have one? Sure. However, I have a feeling they're gonna overdo it.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

I don't think it should neccessarily be an origin story.

I know what Justin said, and even if he didn't they would probably make it that way. But, it doesn't have to be. Filmation cartoon did not begin as an origin story, and it was cool.

I'd like to see an interesting story, origin or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    I have a feeling they're gonna overdo it.
    I agree, but its probaly best for non-fans.
    MOTU FANATIC 4EVER

I think it would be cool to break the mold of current comic book type movies to NOT have an origin, but more of an ending. I'd say start the movie with the fact that He-Man and Skeletor have been battling for decades, maybe with some flashbacks thrown in to show their evolution to their current selves. The obligatory final battle between Skeletor and He-Man would carry much more weight and meaning if they had been at it for a lifetime.

But, like Tallstar said, I doubt it will happen. But it would have been cool.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

The origins should be told in flashbacks LOTR style.

Defender of the Elders Red Trinity's Avatar
    No. Definitely not. There are too many differing origins in MOTU already. Everyone has a favorite, and if you pick one, or create a brand new one, the movie is bound to tick someone off.

The Filmation cartoon never did an origin story, it just picked right up and introduced all the characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Trinity View Post
    No. Definitely not. There are too many differing origins in MOTU already. Everyone has a favorite, and if you pick one, or create a brand new one, the movie is bound to tick someone off.

The Filmation cartoon never did an origin story, it just picked right up and introduced all the characters.
    You have to start the films off somehow, and the Filmation stuff weren't big budget multi-million dollar movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Evil View Post
    You have to start the films off somehow, and the Filmation stuff weren't big budget multi-million dollar movies.

Batman did just fine using flashbacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    Batman did just fine using flashbacks.
    If you look that's exactly what I was suggesting before Red Trinity said we should just jump right into a story without an origin.

If you look that's exactly what I was suggesting before Red Trinity said we should just jump right into a story without an origin.

I'm sorry ... I was confused.

I'm still not awake yet.

The origins should be told in flashbacks LOTR style.
    i agree 100000% making it an orgin story is so cliche now. lets get right into the meat of things and leave some questions unanswered, that mystery will make people want to see the sequels, come here and research more info. why does everything always ahve to start at the beginning these days. I understand for rebooting and such but really I'm TIRED of origin stories.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Heroic Warrior
    Of course you gotta have an origin if your gonna make a movie like this. I call it the next "Batman Begins".

Quote Originally Posted by Cropsy View Post
    Of course you gotta have an origin if your gonna make a movie like this. I call it the next "Batman Begins".
    well I loved Batman Begins, but another fav movie of mine - The Incredibles - didn't do any origin story - well they did set up the back story for syndrome and such, but only in a flash back and I think it was a lot more fun because of it. Reason I'm using The Incredibles as a point is because I think they portratyed Mr. Incredible EXACTLY as he-man should be portrayed. (in terms of powers) you don't really see the limit of his strength, just that it's VERY high as is his invulnerability. he still has to work but we don't see his physical strength actually fail (he only gets subdued) but he wasn't the omnipotent hero that tends to stunt characters like this. I like that a lot.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Skeletors evil colorist Predabot's Avatar
    Well, I for one think that an origin of several of the main characters in MotU is pretty much a given, considering they have to establish the entire world and its inhabitants and themes in the first movie.

So yeah, origin-movie. And the mob appears to have spoken... because there's twice as many origin-votes.

Otherwise, I think something inbetween a "Batman Begins", and how it was handled in Transformers could work, some characters get their whole or partial origin in the movie, but there's also a use of flashbacks, and certain things about the races and such is set up and explained.

I just don't think EVERYTHING needs to start off as an origin story. esp now in the superhero genre it's the standard so it's kind of tiresome (for me) I mean if it IS an origin then I'll accept that but I think it would fit better for He-Man to be established already and we see the origin via a flashback. maybe midway through the movie.

I think it would work better. esp sin e we're deaing with an alien planet, it's better for us to just get thrown in there to start - have us be immersed in it make us suspend our belief and THEN give us the groundwork. for me it's just a better way to tell this story.

Fear is faith in failure

I like flashbacks myself... the movie should start with a flashback of Keldor in the past (maybe trapping Hordak in Despondos... which would come into play in the second or third movie) prior to becoming Skeletor, but what ever he does in the past sets the journey for what is happening in the future... Jump to the present part way through the movie jump back again to show Keldor become Skeletor... and also Jump to show the first transformation of He-man shortly after that. But the majority of the movie should take place with what ever Keldor did opening up a chance for Skeletor to over throw Eternia. Flashbacks should be used sparingly and only to show why they are fighting now. The movie itself would be set well past the origin though.

All in all it needs to be written out as at least a trilogy with at least 3 different stories that lead into the next films, but have an ending of their own. First movie should be the intro to He-man and a group of his supporters as well as Skeletor and his minion... second movie should intro the snakemen and a three way battle between Skeletor, Heman and the snakemen. It should end with the defeat of most of the snakemen... third movie should be a teaming up Skeletor and He-man to face off against the most bass ass of them all Hordak and the Evil Horde. Each mnovie should have new MAsters and villains being introduced, but not have them be major driving forces in the movies... IT should basically follow He-man, Teela, MAA, Stratos and Orko with appearances by everyone from Randor to Rio Blast... in fact it would be fun to have a character like Mekaneck or Rio blast be injured as a regular human in the first film and come back in the second or third to fight along side He-man in an epic battle of good and evil... like the giant fight scenes in LOTR
    He weeps, for he has but one small tongue, with which to taste an entire world!

Lots of original custom t-shirts and stickers available @ http://www.redbubble.com/people/mightyrain
    Many designs based on Masters of the Universe, Classic video games and random movies/cartoons/movies we all know and love.

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    I like flashbacks,but for the new movie, I like the idea of it having origins for Skeletor and He-Man. The wider audience don't really know how these characters orginated - Filmation didn't have anything in the episodes, the mini comics, NA or even the 87 movie didn't. Only MYP did, but only the fans are aware of these.

So, it'll be good to start off with a clean slate and make the audience aware of these characters and where they come from, so we end up caring about what they are, so hopefully (fingers crossed) if a triology happens, the characters are built upon and we know there past history.

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Orko's Magic Hat View Post
    I like flashbacks,but for the new movie, I like the idea of it having origins for Skeletor and He-Man. The wider audience don't really know how these characters orginated - Filmation didn't have anything in the episodes, the mini comics, NA or even the 87 movie didn't. Only MYP did, but only the fans are aware of these.

So, it'll be good to start off with a clean slate and make the audience aware of these characters and where they come from, so we end up caring about what they are, so hopefully (fingers crossed) if a triology happens, the characters are built upon and we know there past history.
    Personally, I always loved that He-Man and Skeletor didn't have origins - it made the battle feel more like it had been going on for many, many years. I found it more fun to just kind of imagine how it had started it. Any origin for me (notably the MYP three-part opener) have been real letdowns.
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

I voted "origin". It may get a little tiresome but I think it's a necessary evil for bringing in new fans. Besides, I think the MYP series premiere would make a great movie adaptation. It had the right mix of introductions, history, and action.
    Do you need to buy, sell or rent a home in Northern VA, then contact me at varealtor1@verizon.net

I think making it an origin story would uselessly eat up time.

Let's face it. He-man's origins (as seen in the MYP series) aren't that interesting or innovative. Bad guy gets scarred (like Joker, or Two-Face or Darth Vader or whoever else) and young man gets powers (like Spidey, or Superman or an X-Men, yadda yadda). Audiences have seen it before.

However, leaving space within the film for a flashback or a sequence where we are introduced to the Castle and Sorceress in the way Adam might have been back in the day would be nice.

Centering the entire film around introducing boring Adam wouldn't be the most interesting way to go.

No, I think it needs to hit the ground running. To entertain a wider audience with a better storyline, I think He-Man needs to be established. I think it's only us hardcore fans that would like to see an origin type of movie.

If this movie relaunches MOTU and makes it super succesful again, then I think they can go back and do an origin story or prequal.

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    The thing is,a lot of people who know He-Man might want to actually see how he became He-Man and how the story started, I think it sets the story up nicely.

Court Magician
    An origin movie with that as the main plot? Absolutely not. I agree with some others who have said you need to get into the thick of things, but leave room for flashbacks. Definitely show the origin--that always drove me nuts on MOTU that it was never explained--but that's a small sub-plot. Maybe it's shown when someone learns Adam's secret, or to show the reason behind an action or personality trait of Adam's, etc.

I have to admit that part of the reason I would prefer not to see an origin episode is that I would like to see the strong, self-sacrificing Adam of MOTU, not the whiny teenager of MYP. (No offense, I just want to watch a movie with a hero I actually like.) And I also like the idea of the battle between He-Man and Skeletor being established already.