View Poll Results: Should a new movie be an 'origin' story or not?

Voters
127. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

95 74.80%
  • No

32 25.20%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should a new movie be an 'origin' story or not?

It could be like in the cartoons, if all would go little bit faster, prince Adam comes into He-man, He won the battle against Skeletor & Evil-Lyn and then
    King Hsss & Hordak would come.

He-Man and She-Ra origins

Personally, I'd like to see the origin story start off with a mix of the MYP origin and She-Ra's origin. Depending on how well the movie would produce revenue (which we all know it can) Mattel could go the passe trilogy route and do a spin-off series for She-Ra just like Marvel's doing with X-Men and Wolverine. The only thing I would change with the story that I don't think any production has done is Adam knowing that his sister was kidnapped by Hordak. Having Hordak kidnap Adora and leaving Skeletor/Keldor to fend for himself against Randor and the Defenders in the first twenty minutes or so of the film could definitely generate intrest for casual moviegoers as well as the hardcore fans. It's just my opinion an opening like that going into the Adam becoming He-Man origin could solidify MOTU's future as far as Hollywood is concerned.

Besides, you know Hollywood will put its stamp on the movie and take liberties that aren't going to set right with everyone. This route ensures everyone gets what they want: the film's producers, Mattel and everyone involved gets paid royally for recycling a franchise and the fans can have their cake and eat it too by getting a richer story as well as the potential to see more of their favorite characters protrayed by live actors.

4got my password and had 2 start from scratch
    (BTW, if it was an origin story, I hope it would be better than the terrible MYP opening three-parter!)

No offense, but can you be specific about what made it terrible. Granted, the fish monster was a little cheesy, but overall it had more story and plot than the entire run of the original series.

I have nostalgic feelings for the original cartoon but for the most part, it was tantamount to a popeye short (except Olive Oil was Castle Grayskull).

When I watched the MYP series. I thought to myself, they've finally made a He-man for the adults who'd grown up with the original cartoon. Unfortunately, that's why it failed and also why I feel the movie will fail.

They'll make it for the kids... and kids are fickle.
    Last edited by a fan apart; April 13, 2008 at 11:40pm.
    "make a and I will and you will and I will " - dark sunday

Some great points here about Filmation not doing an origin, but I think the origin stories are what kept my interest in Masters. I thought MYP was a great taste of some great storytelling that not enough people saw.

Since the film would be so much more available to the public, (more than MYP was promoted, etc) - then I think definitely - YES - on origin stuff. Especially if we want sequels to rule theatres forever.
    I'm a musician, and if you'd please check out my music, I'd be so grateful. Like it on facebook here:
    www.facebook.com/peterdamoremusic

Absolutely an origin story...
    The gleam of the Power Sword lights your way as you enter the fantastic world of Eternia...

the question for me is if they do an origin story would they drag it out through the whole film and only get good at the end? i wouldnt mind if they told it in flash backs and still kept the story in the earlier stages.
    i also feel that they will market it twords kids and loose and grown up kids i hope not tho. the 2002 cartoon was definitly more anime style as it was more suited for an older following witch im very happy about.
    i would love to see a new movie one that stayed more true to things than the old one anyway.

I'd prefer that they go with an origin story, just so everyone will be on the same page.
    It's great being Lord of the Thundercats - especially hanging out with Cheetara - but the one draw back is that He-Man can still beat me up.

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...06#post1993306
    Somewhere In Exo-Squad, a fan art by Matt Tyree (just in case you're curious)

Historian of Eternia LORD FALLEN ELDOR's Avatar
    An origin of what exactly? Of how Adam first gets the sword, sure why not? Of how Keldor became Skeletor? perhaps, but not necessary, implying that they are one and the same would be better then saying so IMO. An origin of Eternia, Grayskull and how the sword was made? HELLZ NO! I'd like that to always stay a mystery! That's what makes speculation about ancient Eternia such a fun topic of debate. Otherwise what the hell would I talk about!?!?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by VZX View Post
    I think it would be cool to break the mold of current comic book type movies to NOT have an origin, but more of an ending. I'd say start the movie with the fact that He-Man and Skeletor have been battling for decades, maybe with some flashbacks thrown in to show their evolution to their current selves. The obligatory final battle between Skeletor and He-Man would carry much more weight and meaning if they had been at it for a lifetime.

But, like Tallstar said, I doubt it will happen. But it would have been cool.
    they did that in the 87 film. I think that is one of the aspects of the film that was well done, that we really felt that these two guys hated each other for years now.
    http://kotaku.com/why-fanboys-act-like-jerks-1563379006

'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments" (Matthew 22:36-40).

No origin stories please. I would want to be dumped right in the middle of the action. They could use a web comic to fill in the gaps and bring non fans up to speed.

Greatful his pants are on bskcase's Avatar
    I think with He-man, an origin has to be done to introduce MOTU to the movie going audience.

I'm sure the movie will be more detailed than the 80's. With the 80's we never really got if there was a Prince Adam or what was outside of Castle Grayskull or the kingdom. With new film tech, we can easily do it all now. So there has to be more of an explanation.
    We survived the long night.... MOTU Forever!

Court Magician
    I don't particularly think it needs an orgin storyline. If so, maybe more like 300 (nor more than 15-20 min of the story). Although, as long as it stays on Eternia and not come to Earth, I don't care.

I remember being a kid watching the movie and up to the part where they came to Earth, I thought it was awesome, but the whole earth, key, & Gwildor crap brought the movie way down. There were a lot of characters missing (and I didn't like the Teela). Dolph Lungren made a great He-Man though.

I think it would be great to throw a new wrench into the works.

He-man is a warrior/protector...and Adam is how we know him.

What if He-Man (as He-Man) has no recollection of his "Adam" alter-ego and vice versa? He is plagued with bouts of deja-vu as he meets the Masters that know the real truth. Not only are they protecting the secret from others, they are protecting the secret from HIM. Throughout the storyline, you can see how He-Man/Adam put pieces together to eventually find out the truth.

Through these "Deja-Vu" experiences...we learn, as they do, about the secret that lies within them.

I'm a sucker for origin stories, so I want to see one for He-Man.

How about starting with Queen Marlena's crash landing on Eternia? That's where it should begin, I think. This would allow an introduction to the planet of Eternia as Marlena discovers it. The audience would follow her (a fellow human) as she discovers the strangeness of high tech and barbaric fantasy.

Adam is the product of two different worlds. In a way, this is stranger than his dual identity as Adam and He-Man. If the movie (or its sequels) is going to engage earth at all, we want to see how the Earth-Eternia connection began. This could happen either at the beginning of the film, as a "teaser", or through flashbacks. It shouldn't take too much time - about 10 to 15 minutes.
    Last edited by Scholastor; May 31, 2009 at 01:58am. Reason: Added Signature
    "As they laugh, so shall ye know them."

Enjoy more wisdom from the original He-Man cartoon, brought to light at http://moralmastery.blogspot.com

I think they'd need to decide on an origin first before deciding whether they'll make an origin movie or not!

Will it be Mattel's original He-man?

Or will they use Filmation's He-man and add Prince Adam/Dual identity, etc.?

Use a bit of a hybrid, or something completely new?

Personally I'm fairly indifferent one way or the other.

I think one of the reasons the '87 movie was so good was that they dumped you, literally, right into the thick of it. No back story, not even what got us to that point, but right into the worst possible case scenario of Skeletor and his army taking over Grayskull and being on the brink of taking over Eternia.

Chucking us right into a battle scene might be a good way to go about things. Again, no mess, no fuss, straight into army's of weird and wonderful creatures trying to tear each other apart. Get your attention first, worry about back stories later! But then I'm not a movie writer so...

Iīve voted yes but only if itīs to be made a trilogy.

If itīs to be a 1 shot, then it most be about Hordak attacking Eternia and Heroic Warriors joining Evil Warriors to defeat the Horde.
    Now available for commissions.

Subscribe to TMNT Redesign Challenge News,
    if you want to be update to every The Technodrome Redesign Challenge.

Check my customs at Figure Realm
    Deviantart - http://gomes31.deviantart.com/
    www.facebook.com/Ulisses31Omega
    www.facebook.com/PauloGomesArt
    If you cannot convince them, confuse them. - Harry S Truman

If there's to be an origin, I'd like to see it in flashbacks (a la Batman.)

I honestly don't think we've quite reached the point of "He-Man Begins".

Quote Originally Posted by Scholastor View Post
    How about starting with Queen Marlena's crash landing on Eternia? That's where it should begin, I think. This would allow an introduction to the planet of Eternia as Marlena discovers it. The audience would follow her (a fellow human) as she discovers the strangeness of high tech and barbaric fantasy.

Adam is the product of two different worlds. In a way, this is stranger than his dual identity as Adam and He-Man. If the movie (or its sequels) is going to engage earth at all, we want to see how the Earth-Eternia connection began. This could happen either at the beginning of the film, as a "teaser", or through flashbacks. It shouldn't take too much time - about 10 to 15 minutes.

I definitely think that Queen Marlena crash-landing on Eternia would be a GREAT way to begin the film (What?! )

I want no attachments to earth, thank you
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

Co-Creator of the NV
    I'm not really keen on an origin story. I wouldn't mind a few flashbacks to give people an idea of how Adam became He-Man, but I don't really want a movie that spends a lot of time focusing on that. We already got that in MYP's first 3-episode arc, which was fantastic and fairly closely related to what was described in the Filmation series bible, but as great as it was I don't want to see it again. I want a new story. So if they want to keep the origin pretty close to MYP/Filmation, I'd rather they just mention quick little snippets of it in the movie or do some sort of tie-in comic or toon. If they want to make it all an origin movie, then I want the story to be changed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Divia View Post
    I want no attachments to earth, thank you
    Seconded.

Member of the Royal Family JimmyPSHayes's Avatar
    PLEASE NO origin! SO sick of those. If it can be told during the credits, sure, that would be great. But I don't want to "waste" a whole movie learning how Prince Adam becomes He-Man, only for him to be He-Man in the final 10 minutes of the movie. While not as universally known as Superman, Batman or Spider-Man's origins, I think you can tell He-Man's during the first 5 to 10 minutes of the movie and then just give us a TON of ass-kicking action!
    I love it when a plan comes together.

Only if it can be told in less than 20 minutes. (And for origin I'd only like to see how Adam got the sword and learned its fabulous secret powers. The Keldor stuff etc. through flashbacks. Or if they're lazy use the SW scrolling letters.)
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

Widget
    My biggest fear is not an origin story, but killing off Skeletor. Too many Superhero movies now kill the bad guy, and not simply capture him or allow him to escape.

that is a good point , most movies end with the villain getting killed and then the studio screws themselfs out of a good sequel
    Eternian Beastmaster

They can't kill Skeletor anymore then they could kill Lex Luthor in the first Superman movie, or the Joker in the first Batman movie....... oh wait.....