Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: World of Warcraft

Heroic Warrior Savage Beast Man's Avatar

World of Warcraft

Okay so I heard about World Of Warcraft online gaming. But i've never been a computer gamer, much less an online gamer. But.. I let my brother talk me in to joining World Of Warcraft. So...one W.o.W game, 2 month pass card, and logitech headset later..here I am. Getting ready to embark on this thing that has up to 9 million players. Am I in over my head?

One thing I can't help thinking about. Could you imagine such an online game set on Eternia?
    In the jungles of Eternia you must beware, or you'll fall into the claws of the Savage Beast Man.

Greatful his pants are on bskcase's Avatar
    Imagine yes. I am a Warcraft player and the great thing about the game is that its not that complicated. The controls are fairly easy to learn and your objectives and skills are pretty much laid out. But it has often been quoted as saying that the game is easy to learn, but it takes a lifetime to master.

Warcraft is such a big world you can't imagine what is waiting for you in there.
    We survived the long night.... MOTU Forever!

Ive played MMORPG's since 2001. They all have the same goal...get subscribers and keep them. This means designing expected Timesinks and goals to make the game not difficult but lengthy. They all have some sort lvl 1-50 or higher with would take the average joe about 4-6 months to hit. Then some other sort of gear grinding to keep endgamers occupied for months.

WoW is a fantastic game, Its one of the easier games to learn and has lots of UI customization via 3rd party programs. Just expect it to take some learning curve to figure out what your doing and what your job is in a group. Then a long time to get some gear to compete in Endgame PVP or PVE Raiding.

The most important thing is this is a game you pay for to have a good time. So do whatever feels fun to you and Have a good time.

I tried the trial. But im to cheap to buy a came and then have to PAY to play it. I liked it just not enough to pay to play it =)
    It's not what you ride. It's that you ride.

Hey bush let the door hit you on the way out !!!!

OBAMA 2012 !!!!!

it is a fun game till you get to a certain point right now. I stopped playing back at the end of July.

And small correction 9 million accounts, not 9 million players. China's account system is 1 character per server and you can only stay logged into that account for X amount of hours a day so it isn't unusual for Chinese players to have 2-10 accounts a piece (they only cost ~2$ a piece).

Actual player estimates are 4-6 million. Which is still more then any other MMORPG out there.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Very interesting folks. I imagine it will be some time before I need to buy any expansions.
    In the jungles of Eternia you must beware, or you'll fall into the claws of the Savage Beast Man.

Why not buy the World of Warcraft BATTLE CHEST?

It bundles the game with two expansions and strategy guides

I'm not into MMO's but If I were I'd buy that. Better Value.
    The Deviot
    -------------------------
    "No matter how hot you think they are, Someone. Somewhere. Is tired of their crap."

-?

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeviot View Post

The Burning Crusade allows you to go to Outland after level 60 or to create a new character with the new races (Blood Elf or Draenai). I'd wait to get the expansion, personally, because those races aren't any better than the original races. No need to waste the money on the expansion if you're not really going to be enjoying it for a long ways to come.

To the TC: WoW takes a lot of dedication to play. Because the game is so massively popular, it creates a vicious competition between those who play. I've known many people who've dropped out of college because they "need to focus on what's important" (that's an actual quote of a guy I no longer talk to). You'll be spending a goodly amount of time trying to level up to catch your friends. Because I was not as dedicated as people I know, I was always outleveled and alone when I played. That's not terribly fun- the ironic part was that my friends talked me into playing in the first place but I never played with them. That's pretty much the nature of the beast of MMOs; though some have exemplar systems allowing you to party with higher ups, WoW does not.

Good luck with the game. I hope you get bored with it in a few months rather than becoming a ravenous addict.
    Like customizing classic figs? Want to play the part of Mattel and design figures from existing fodder but you lack supplies? Bored?! Then try out the Classic Character Creation Compiler today!

Poopie Flingin' Monkey! Slothboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDeviot View Post

What your talking about is the Warcraft III battle chest not the World of Warcraft Battle chest. They are seperate. World of Warcraft only has one expansion and is not sold in a bundle with the game, the expansion, and guides. The old game, warcraft III is sold in a bundle with the game, the expansions, and the guides.

Blood Elf Paladins and Draenei Shamans, the big reason to get the xpac earlier. But that is the only real reason. It isn't like some other games where xpacs also provide some other low level content that wasn't there before. The starting zones are the only new parts of WoW.

The game can be fun for the social aspects it has, also the leveling up can be not too bad. Generally speaking you don't fight players for quest objectives too much as most are nearer the level cap or elsewhere.

The big problems come after level cap, generally speaking it requires 30 hours minimum to be able to accomplish goals in the game (raiding etc).

Accounts are somewhat down really about two months ago blizzard put out a revive and old friends account thing. Basically if you could convince someone who left the game to come back you get a free month. Also you find on several forums large numbers of people leaving the game.

I am currently having fun playing Everquest 2. Haven't gotten to the end game yet, still leveling up and enjoying that. I did learn one thing from WoW is to control my time spent by doing other things outside of the game more.

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Quote Originally Posted by Slothboy View Post
    What your talking about is the Warcraft III battle chest not the World of Warcraft Battle chest. They are seperate. World of Warcraft only has one expansion and is not sold in a bundle with the game, the expansion, and guides. The old game, warcraft III is sold in a bundle with the game, the expansions, and the guides.
    Actually, no, there is a WoW Battle Chest.

To Wyldman: yea, the extra races allow you to play all the classes on each side but I seriously doubt someone new to MMOs would want to play on a PvP server. With that in mind, they could simply play both Alliance and Horde and get the same general feeling.
    Like customizing classic figs? Want to play the part of Mattel and design figures from existing fodder but you lack supplies? Bored?! Then try out the Classic Character Creation Compiler today!

I'm not looking to jump in on PvP simply because I don't care to run into some kid named Stanley Pudwick who spends all of his free time running around slaughtering weaker players before they can even say boo.

So player versus environment seems more my style.

As for addiction, I can't believe some people call off work or drop out of school for this. I will be very careful to keep this in check.

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotFool View Post
    Actually, no, there is a WoW Battle Chest.

To Wyldman: yea, the extra races allow you to play all the classes on each side but I seriously doubt someone new to MMOs would want to play on a PvP server. With that in mind, they could simply play both Alliance and Horde and get the same general feeling.
    being on a PvP or PvE server makes no difference in this case. That being playing all the classes for each faction. That is one of the things I like about EQ2 is on a PvE server I can party or group with people of the opposite alignment. In WoW you can't play across the factions on PvE servers. The only difference in WoW for PvE and PvP is on a PvP server after level 20 I believe you are perma flagged for PvP, PvE it is a toggle to be that way. All other rules apply to all types of servers. Well Roleplaying servers supposedly have stricter naming conventions.

Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    being on a PvP or PvE server makes no difference in this case. That being playing all the classes for each faction. That is one of the things I like about EQ2 is on a PvE server I can party or group with people of the opposite alignment. In WoW you can't play across the factions on PvE servers. The only difference in WoW for PvE and PvP is on a PvP server after level 20 I believe you are perma flagged for PvP, PvE it is a toggle to be that way. All other rules apply to all types of servers. Well Roleplaying servers supposedly have stricter naming conventions.
    Actually, it's a zone thing in WoW. If you're in a PvP zone, you're flagged for PvP and an additional 5 minutes in any zone once you've left. The majority of zones past 20 are PvP so, you're somewhat right, but not all of them.

As to grouping, he can still group with Blood Elfs or Draenai, so groups can form of all classes. I'd prefer to be able to play as everything as you would but for cost/benefit, I don't see it being worth it until he gets further into the game.

ok here is a question i play Final Fantasy XI online.

but it is sooooooooo slow paced. i was thinking about quiting and joining WoW.

just wondering for those who have played both which one do you prefer?

is WoW worth the playing?
    Watch my youtube videos and read my original fiction story's and poetry in my blog

http://www.youtube.com/theimmortal1818
    http://thefantasyshop.blogspot.com/

Jessica Drew (Spider-Woman) is back!! Crow's Avatar
    Skip WoW. Play Guild Wars. No cartoony Disney graphics. No grinding either.
    Crow T. Robot
    "Mike, what the hell is this?!"

"Into the sea of waking dreams, I follow without pride"---Sarah McLachlan Possession

Quote Originally Posted by Fallen_Master View Post
    ok here is a question i play Final Fantasy XI online.

but it is sooooooooo slow paced. i was thinking about quiting and joining WoW.

just wondering for those who have played both which one do you prefer?

is WoW worth the playing?
    I had the most fun playing City of Heroes/City of Villains. All missions are instanced, so you don't have to worry about lines, you always feel powerful and "super", and it has an examplar system so you can group with higher level people or downlevel to group with lower level people. The player customization is second to none.

I've been a huge douche.

Quote Originally Posted by funkypunkyboy View Post
    I've been a huge douche.
    Congratulations? That's the oddest comment I've seen on these boards...

Evil Master of Warcraft
    Why do you all not think I haven't posted as much recently? I'm back on world of warcrack????

I LOVE THE GAME!!!!!!!!!

If anyone wants to start a new toon, get on Moonrunner server, play for the Horde, and message me. toon = Hordak.

I've ran end-game, taken down gruul, mag, kara, I've logged about 100 days of playtime. I'll help power level you up.

HORDE FTW!!!!!!!!!
    Giving away three free months of World of Warcraft + copy of game. PM me for details.

Diablo III Battletag = Hordack#1465 WoW - Ghostlands Sever XBL Gamertag = Hordack1980

Congratulations? That's the oddest comment I've seen on these boards...
    That's because I left myself logged in to the boards and a friend of mine decided to be funny.

Now onto my actual post. I've been a WOWer for almost a year now. Overall its not a bad game. I play on Duskwood with half a dozen friends that I know locally and several more online friends who are very nice people.

If I could make a suggestion, if you plan to take your character to the max level, choose Horde, not Alliance. I've invested alot of time into my Alliance characters but I'm working on a new Horde character because the players are far more mature and organized. Seriously, though some may argue, a large % of Alliance players are immature, disorganized, rude and inconsiderate. They play selfishly, fight and blame their failures on specific classes/builds. I've moved several friends to Horde.

Anyhoo, her name is Tempestra, add her if you like, I play fairly often.

Quote Originally Posted by GeologyMule View Post
    Why do you all not think I haven't posted as much recently? I'm back on world of warcrack????

I LOVE THE GAME!!!!!!!!!

If anyone wants to start a new toon, get on Moonrunner server, play for the Horde, and message me. toon = Hordak.

I've ran end-game, taken down gruul, mag, kara, I've logged about 100 days of playtime. I'll help power level you up.

HORDE FTW!!!!!!!!!
    If you came to Duskwood with your Horde, you could play with me and my Priest and my growing collection of Horde friends. Hee hee.

Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    Skip WoW. Play Guild Wars. No cartoony Disney graphics. No grinding either.
    Guilds Wars has lovely graphics but I did not feel comfortable with the controls. Sometimes I tire of the WOW graphics, but I'm so darn awesome with my characters, I can't give it up!

I had the most fun playing City of Heroes/City of Villains. All missions are instanced, so you don't have to worry about lines, you always feel powerful and "super", and it has an exemplar system so you can group with higher level people or down level to group with lower level people. The player customization is second to none.
    Sometimes I miss COV/COH. The players were friendly, the customization was great, but I found the power sets repetitive. The graphics were nice though, and so were the different forms of travel that don't cost insane amounts of gold to get. Its a very well put together game. My only real beef with it was the stalker class which was super over powered and left many characters angry. The classes in WOW seem more balanced, but I have found myself wishing to return to COV/COV sometimes.
    Last edited by Sky Breaker; November 26, 2007 at 07:46pm.

...Sometimes I miss COV/COH. The players were friendly, the customization was great, but I found the power sets repetitive. The graphics were nice though, and so were the different forms of travel that don't cost insane amounts of gold to get. Its a very well put together game. My only real beef with it was the stalker class which was super over powered and left many characters angry. The classes in WOW seem more balanced, but I have found myself wishing to return to COV/COV sometimes.
    They've added in recipe enhancements that greatly vary the gameplay from character to character and stalkers have been toned down a lot. If your character can take the initial strike and do decent damage, stalkers can be taken down pretty easily. They're just getting ready to add dual blades and willpower (Don't care) and weapon customization (I care). I'm too busy to play at the moment, but winter break is going to be spent with me unleashing the power of Cartoon Man on the villains of Paragon City.

I would like to retract every positive comment that I have ever made about Warcraft! The game is garbage!

You have to pay $$$ to play, but it does not stop there! You have to pay $$$ to transfer characters between realms! You have to pay $$$ to change your character's name! It's freakin' $4 USD but they still try to get that out of you!!! You cannot change your character's appearance once its set (but I'm sure when they offer up that, they will make you pay $$$)

But to top it all off, the game the tech support (which you pay that $$$ for) can do nothing to help you with any of the problems you may face! They either tell you they cannot help you or they cannot discuss the issue with you. I wish I could sew Blizzard for every bloody cent I've invested into this stupid waste of life game, and then sew them for a couple million more to teach them a lesson about ripping people off!

PS: Stripped characters. Deleted characters. Cancelled account. WOW is dead to me.
    Last edited by Sky Breaker; November 27, 2007 at 02:23am.

I just got back into play WoW after a 6 month time off for the birth of our 2nd son. I switched to the Stonemaul server, with Binxster as my toon's name. Now I play much less, and mostly after both kids have gone to bed. I enjoy the game and know now that I was an addict before. The 6 months off put that into perspective, and I think I have it under control.

As for the game now, if you are just starting and are new to the game, I would suggest rolling a Horde Toon (character). Everyone I have talked to that has an Alliance toon says they are mostly younger immature players. Not all, but mostly.

Secondly, The 1-60 grind is not as it used to be. Sure, you will be able to level up faster than before now that they raised the amount of experience per quest, and lowered the required experience needed to level, but almost everyone has a toon that is higher than level 60 already. If there are players around in the lower levels, they are probably alts of someone with a high level toon, so they are most likely powering through these lower levels. That means that you will have trouble finding groups to do pretty much anything. It may not be the case on every server, but good luck finding the ones that aren't going to be like that. You probably won't even be able to see most of the instances because of the lack of people to play with... unless you play with 4 other friends that play classes that work in a 5 man group.

Thirdly, There is a lot of research needed if you want to do some of the harder content. There is a lot of aspects to the game beyond playing your toon. All the gear has many different types of stats to think about. Some are for player vs. player (pvp) combat, and some are for player vs. environment (pve). It gets overwhelming if you don't keep on it.

It can be a fun game, but if you get too into it, it stats playing you. So, always remember, it is just a game.

Jessica Drew (Spider-Woman) is back!! Crow's Avatar
    Stripped characters. Deleted characters. Cancelled account. WOW is dead to me.
    That was really quick. Either that, or it's your friend again. Once again...Guild Wars, no monthly fees.
    Crow T. Robot
    "Mike, what the hell is this?!"

"Into the sea of waking dreams, I follow without pride"---Sarah McLachlan Possession