Thread: Spidey fans, how do you feel about this "spider-verse" business?

Spidey fans, how do you feel about this "spider-verse" business?

I'm not the biggest fan anymore, when I was a kid i LOVED spidey, but I've grown out of him a bit. I still like him but more casually.

That said I feel this spider-verse thing diminishes the character ina BIG way, so EVERYONE got bit by a radioactive spider? seriously? so as someone who doesn't read the books I hate the idea, what do the fans think??
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

I might not be a big Spider-Man fan but, if I remember correctly, I used to collect several Spider-Man comics as a kid back in the '80s. Sadly, those are all gone today and I no longer buy and collect them. Spider-Man comics are quite hard to find in my country.
    Try to reach inside of me, try to drain my energy
    Let me show you just what I'm made of
    Simple curiosity trying to take a bite of me
    Let me show you just what I'm made of now...

I like the idea enough to stop buying comics
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Heroic Master of Puzzles Thatman's Avatar
    I love classic Spidey. Honestly, I haven't really enjoyed anything since the Clone nightmare in the '90s. Stopped reading a long time ago.
    "That's very interesting...but silly."

I don't read much Marvel stuff but isn't the Spider-Verse stuff just trips around the multi-verse visiting all or most of the other Spideys we've seen over the years?

Quote Originally Posted by felgekarp View Post
    I don't read much Marvel stuff but isn't the Spider-Verse stuff just trips around the multi-verse visiting all or most of the other Spideys we've seen over the years?
    That's what I've believed it to be. I know it contains a lot of the characters that have been spidey-related from all the different incarnations over the years, not a everyone has spider powers type situation.

Quote Originally Posted by JakeofEternia View Post
    That's what I've believed it to be. I know it contains a lot of the characters that have been spidey-related from all the different incarnations over the years, not a everyone has spider powers type situation.
    There was some story spider-island or something where everyone had spider powers, I thought spider-verse was continuing that. like I said I'm not versed in this stuff any more.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

I used to be a big Spiderman fan, especially back in the 80s. What has been done to the character (Brand New Day and Ultimate Spiderman toon) has mostly soured me on the current stuff.
    Power flows to the one who knows. G1 Megatron

Here is what I think of Spider-Verse

NO.

Hell No.

Just No.

Here is my quick list of everything wrong with it

1. Dan Slott is writing it so already it sucks.

2. Morlun and the Inheritors. I just hate these characters, they should never have been invented. I can't stand the idea of them because they tie into the following reason...

3. Totems. Spider-Man has been going downhill fast ever since that jerk JMS decided that Peter was some kind of spiritual totem and host to some spider spirit or chosen by some spider god or whatever other asinine thing makes this all make sense in his deranged little brain. Sure I get he is very spiritual / religious but that does not have to mean he had to ruin Spider-Man by making it fit in his little world.

4. The Other. Another thing introduced by JMS and I hate that for the same reason I hate Morlun, because it ties directly into the whole Totem BS.

5. The many deaths of Spider-Folk. Why does Spider-Man have to keep dying? Sure it is not 616 Spidey but still to have so many spider-men being casually killed...It's like all Dan Slott and Marvel exist to do these days is find new ways to kill of as many Spider-Men / People as they can. Heck there is even a few panels of various Spider-Men being served on platters at a dinner table as if they were nothing more than Turkeys. The disrespect for Spider-Man at Marvel (especially by Dan "Drop Dead" Slott) seems to know no bounds these days.

6. Cindy Moon / Silk. Oh how I hate this character. There are no amount of words to describe how much I hate this character. She makes my blood boil so much that even a being made of lava would complain about the heat. Mary Sue? Mary Sue is not as Mary Sue as this Mary Sue .

So once again Spider-Man, who had a nice scientific background, is ruined by Marvel because they simply can't let go of all that spiritual crap that JMS forced into the series many years ago and made worse by the fact it is Dan Slott who is doing it.

So in summation

No I don't like it.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfsfang View Post
    Here is what I think of Spider-Verse

NO.

Hell No.

Just No.

Here is my quick list of everything wrong with it

1. Dan Slott is writing it so already it sucks.

2. Morlun and the Inheritors. I just hate these characters, they should never have been invented. I can't stand the idea of them because they tie into the following reason...

3. Totems. Spider-Man has been going downhill fast ever since that jerk JMS decided that Peter was some kind of spiritual totem and host to some spider spirit or chosen by some spider god or whatever other asinine thing makes this all make sense in his deranged little brain. Sure I get he is very spiritual / religious but that does not have to mean he had to ruin Spider-Man by making it fit in his little world.

4. The Other. Another thing introduced by JMS and I hate that for the same reason I hate Morlun, because it ties directly into the whole Totem BS.

5. The many deaths of Spider-Folk. Why does Spider-Man have to keep dying? Sure it is not 616 Spidey but still to have so many spider-men being casually killed...It's like all Dan Slott and Marvel exist to do these days is find new ways to kill of as many Spider-Men / People as they can. Heck there is even a few panels of various Spider-Men being served on platters at a dinner table as if they were nothing more than Turkeys. The disrespect for Spider-Man at Marvel (especially by Dan "Drop Dead" Slott) seems to know no bounds these days.

6. Cindy Moon / Silk. Oh how I hate this character. There are no amount of words to describe how much I hate this character. She makes my blood boil so much that even a being made of lava would complain about the heat. Mary Sue? Mary Sue is not as Mary Sue as this Mary Sue .

So once again Spider-Man, who had a nice scientific background, is ruined by Marvel because they simply can't let go of all that spiritual crap that JMS forced into the series many years ago and made worse by the fact it is Dan Slott who is doing it.

So in summation

No I don't like it.

wow! I appreciate your thorough explanation. see I don't know about a lot of this stuff, I was aware of the Spider-god thing and the totems, I also recall them touching on that in the 90s spider-man toon with Madame webb (i never liked her or what she brought into it) but I thought they phased that out. Guess I was wrong.

Fear is faith in failure

No problems, glad I could help

But really is this how you want you (or your kids for those who have them) to picture Spider-Man

If it wasn't bad enough that Slott made Peter out to be some selfish jerk who was almost willing to let a child die just to get his body back...

And he has the sheer nerve to say that he is a "fan"

No problems, glad I could help

But really is this how you want you (or your kids for those who have them) to picture Spider-Man

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...psbacca4b4.jpg

If it wasn't bad enough that Slott made Peter out to be some selfish jerk who was almost willing to let a child die just to get his body back...

And he has the sheer nerve to say that he is a "fan"
    that is weird to say the least. but so is a lot of stuff I read about spidey. like the what-if story where he kills mary jane through his semen, Green Goblin hooking up with Gwen stacy etc. like wth were these guys smoking??

Fear is faith in failure

To be frank, I actually enjoyed most of JMS' first Spider-run. The second, however... I cancelled most titles when they introduced the Gwen/Norman twins. And stopped buying any Spider-Man titles when "One More Day" happened. That was the final straw for me. Since that, I honestly wouldn't care if they wrote that Peter was raped by Uncle Ben. I still love Spider-Man, but I'm done with the comics.
    Last edited by Sir Reilly; November 13, 2014 at 11:01am.
    "Why's Dragstor riding on Night Stalker?" "Cause he can."

Court Magician
    As soon as Slott killed off Peter and MJ in Spider-Girl's Universe I was prepared to bow out, but apparently Marvel have snatched up DeFalco and Frenz to do something with Mayday next year. Which is interesting, because last week Ron Frenz, cheesed off at what happened to Mayday's parents. went off on one and said Slott was "no Roger Stern" and that he sucked at consistent continuity

I didn't think it was possible to make a mary sue out of your lead character, but the whole "you're the greatest spider of all" rubbish about 616/Mephistoverse Peter just doesn't sit right with me. Yeah, he's the only one to kill Morlun, but if any of these Spiders knew he made a deal with the devil they'd be balking

In an interesting twist, the recent tie-in issue released this week saw the Spider-Man Newspaper Strip universe safely stored within a pocket dimension by the Inheritor's Master Weaver. The excuse given to Morlun was that the universe suffered from chronological instability where it would take weeks for the Inheritors to accomplish anything (basically a dig at the decompressed structure of the strip) but the last panel revealed the Weaver was secretly rebelling and decided to give the strip universe a break because it was "too innocent" to subject to a culling. This means the strip can go about doing whatever it wants to do (and promote a happily married Peter and MJ) without having to do any tie-ins for the event.
    Last edited by Cameron Samurai; November 13, 2014 at 11:24am.

Spiderman needs to wake up and realize that everything written in the last few years (clone saga, spiderverse, dan Slott) was just a dream.

Court Magician
    Quote Originally Posted by He-Dad View Post
    Spiderman needs to wake up and realize that everything written in the last few years (clone saga, spiderverse, dan Slott) was just a dream.
    The newspaper strip pretty much did exactly this five years ago

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Reilly View Post
    I still love Spider-Man, but I'm done with the comics.
    It is my love for Spidey that keeps bringing me back to the comics no matter how much I hate them at the moment because I keep on hoping that a better writer than Slott, say Christopher Yost, takes over and just fixes everything that Slott has broken (which is EVERYTHING).

Court Magician
    It is my love for Spidey that keeps bringing me back to the comics no matter how much I hate them at the moment because I keep on hoping that a better writer than Slott, say Christopher Yost, takes over and just fixes everything that Slott has broken (which is EVERYTHING).
    Same with me. I've endured crap that would break most normal fans (and OMD and it's outcome contributed to my real-life mental health problems at the time), but there's always been something keeping me a fan. It's never been the main title in all that time that's kept me sane though, more A.U books, the daily strip, and satellites by other, more talented writers