Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: World of Warcraft

Evil Master of Warcraft
    You start off the game only able to use a few weapons. When you make it to a major city you can learn from a master weapon trainer how to use more weapons. However, some classes cannot use certain weapons. Ie, Hunters cannnot use wands and maces. Priest cannot use swords etc.

I suggest bookmarking www.wowhead.com. Since you are also a low lvl character I'd also suggest re-rolling on a different realm and play with one of us. Also, don't just pick your race based on looks. Check out this page it shows you the different racial attributes that give some classes and added bonus. For instance, most people who play a hunter choose a troll because of the passive "Your chance to critically hit with Bows is increased by 1%" and "Increases your attack speed by 10% to 30%. At full health the speed increase is 10% with a greater effect up to 30% if you are badly hurt when you activate Berserking. Lasts 10 sec. "
    Giving away three free months of World of Warcraft + copy of game. PM me for details.

Diablo III Battletag = Hordack#1465 WoW - Ghostlands Sever XBL Gamertag = Hordack1980

Ok guys....one of my IRL friends just started playing wow so I rolled a third character a few days ago on the Shadow Council Server. I just thought I would share a few screens where someone would appreciate it

What do you guys think?
    I just published my very first ebook: Malediction! A short story of monsters and magic!
    Buy it now on Amazon or Barnes and Noble!

Print version, also available!

My boyfriend plays. His brother and sister in law play, several friends of theirs play, and a mutual friend of ours plays. For a while I played, until I discovered the /play command that allows you to see exactly how much time you logged. At first I thought it was a harmless inexpensive pass time that allows you to converse with friends. Now I see it for what it really is. A senseless time hording addiction that disconnects you from the real world.

I finally convinced my boyfriend to limit his time on WOW to weekends only. I hope that one day he does not wish to play this game anymore. I will be trading his time on WOW for time with me, exercising, watching movies, and being social. I hope to come back here in a month and say things have improved.

If you or someone you know wishes to give up WOW, please message me, and together we can put them on the road to warcrack free living.
    Last edited by Sky Breaker; January 15, 2008 at 12:59am.

Evil Master of Warcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by davidlogan View Post
    Ok guys....one of my IRL friends just started playing wow so I rolled a third character a few days ago on the Shadow Council Server. I just thought I would share a few screens where someone would appreciate it

What do you guys think?
    Alliance....

Quote Originally Posted by funkypunkyboy View Post
    My boyfriend plays. His brother and sister in law play, several friends of theirs play, and a mutual friend of ours plays. For a while I played, until I discovered the /play command that allows you to see exactly how much time you logged. At first I thought it was a harmless inexpensive pass time that allows you to converse with friends. Now I see it for what it really is. A senseless time hording addiction that disconnects you from the real world.
    Last time I checked on my main toon I was over 63 days of playtime. However, don't think of it as too senseless. Instead of me going out to bars and other forms of entertainment to blow money on, this is a very cost efficient form of entertainment. I also have A LOT of social interaction. Before I even log in the game I log into my vent server and talk with all my friends I've met there. Some of my real life friends play also so we just sit in there and chat. Saves my Jeep 12 mpg to go and see them.
    Giving away three free months of World of Warcraft + copy of game. PM me for details.

Diablo III Battletag = Hordack#1465 WoW - Ghostlands Sever XBL Gamertag = Hordack1980

you know, i've been dying to play this damn game but I don't think my system is strong enough and I know my connection will lead to lag upon lag, I am running a cable connection but it's the cheapest bargain one that the company offers. as well I just don't think that I can afford to play.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Evil Master of Warcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    you know, i've been dying to play this damn game but I don't think my system is strong enough and I know my connection will lead to lag upon lag, I am running a cable connection but it's the cheapest bargain one that the company offers. as well I just don't think that I can afford to play.
    I run a cable connection and have very little problems. Lag happens to everyone. The main drawback will be the computer. The better video card, processor, more Ram, etc. you have, the more you will enjoy the game. You can turn down resolution settings, and terrain distance settings etc. The actual game itself doesn't use up many resources. I usually run two WoW accounts at a time, Ventrillo, IE, AIM, and probably a few other things with no problems.

As for afford to play....If you rent 3 movies a month = 9 hours of entertainment = ~13 bucks. If you play warcraft = I average over 300 hours a month = 14 bucks. Well, 36 bucks for me I have two accounts so i can playthem at the same time. Which is the better deal?

Plus remember, valentines day is coming up....

Quote Originally Posted by GeologyMule View Post
    Alliance....

Last time I checked on my main toon I was over 63 days of playtime. However, don't think of it as too senseless. Instead of me going out to bars and other forms of entertainment to blow money on, this is a very cost efficient form of entertainment. I also have A LOT of social interaction. Before I even log in the game I log into my vent server and talk with all my friends I've met there. Some of my real life friends play also so we just sit in there and chat. Saves my Jeep 12 mpg to go and see them.
    I used to think that way too. Its better than going to a bar and getting wasted, yes. It's better than alot of 'bad habits', but think about it, that's 63days of your life, 2 months that you've logged at your computer.

I have 2-3 jobs that require a fair amount of computer time, at least 2 hours a day. I'm sure there are alot of people who log 6 hours or more a day. Sitting, eating, computing. If you add your WOW time ontop of that, wow, that's alot of time.

I don't want to be raining on everyone's parade, but this game is seriously addictive, and now that I've put it behind me, I ask, why? What's so great about it? Nothing! Here's why:

The Game: The actual dynamics of the game are very flat. Boring even. I felt like I was doing exactly the same thing at level 1 as I did at level 70. I just had a few more 'pretty' things to do it with, and the enemies took a little longer to kill. At level 1 you're running around fighting boars and wolves, skeletons, zombies, spiders and raptors. At level 70, you're still fighting boars and wolfs and skeletons and zombies, spiders and raptors. They just get a palette swap and a name change. Lame! How is it that a game I'm paying $15 a month for the same stagnant content. A game that is pulling the same kind of stuff that games did 20 years ago when they had to worry about money/time/space on a cartridge or disc.

The AI in the game is so low. Outside you can run away from things if the fight goes badly, elites, chase you down until you're dead, no matter what. An intuitive game would allow you to escape anything, providing you were smart enough, and with enough tricks.

The Players: As for the players, they are even worse. I've played several MMORPGS and the wow community is the biggest bunch of sniveling, mud slinging a-holes ever. I have to block ALL chat lines because people post nothing but garbage. If you want to see the jibberings of a bunch of ridiculous, homophobic, nerdy, damage crunching selfish little brats (some of them supposedly adults) praddle on about trash, sure, open up the chat lines. I turned on ventrilo for about 10 seconds and after listening to some turd curse and swear like a sewage pipe, I deleted the program. Or how about being the kind of player who can successfully navigate any dungeon, never die, plan and prepare for just about anything and considerately give to the team what is needed, and be denied team after team because some mega nerd says "Oh, your build isn't what we want" (because they've only mastered one and know nothing more than they're told but some bigger nerd) or "Your gear isn't good enough" (because they've invested 208 days of play in their character) like they all started as experts. Was I the best player? No. But I was constantly having to prove myself to little mindless creeps half my age. You want to see the kind of people that play WOW? Pop on over to youtube and watch some of the fan/player made videos. Trash.

The Support: From Blizzard? Phffsst! Countless times the game errored and I was set back and there is nothing they can do. Then they make changes with patches, altering how your characters behave and they don't give you a free 'respec' for skills if they don't feel a change is in order. What about YOU feel a change is in order? Nope! No help from Blizzard! You have to pay for their changes with more investment of time! What kind of BS is that!? Its garbage.

If you're considering getting into WOW, stop now. I was once a player, and I've seen what it does to people. You don't want to be one of those guys who counts the minutes at work until you can get home and 'pwn sum noobz wit ya leets gearz'.
    Last edited by Sky Breaker; January 15, 2008 at 04:05pm.

Evil Master of Warcraft
    I've been cussed at more playing Halo.

I've been cussed at more playing Halo.
    You obviously play it on wow. I feel the same way about Halo as I do WOW.

A coworker of mine was playing a FPS online a few weeks ago. He came to work the next day with a funny story. Apparently in a capture the flag style match he stole an enemy helicopter and used it to win. A player felt that this was 'wrong' so he spammed my friend with death threats, citing that it was 'unfair' for him to play like that. Another coworker piped up and said that he likes to be a sniper in a FPS and finds great vantage points to pop little idiots without fear, taking out dozens and dozens of players repeatedly) before someone equally talented finally takes him out. Naturally he winds up on the recieving end of a lot of unjustified anger. I just don't see the point in playing with ****ty people like that. Let them have each other.
    Last edited by Sky Breaker; April 1, 2008 at 12:23pm.

I run a cable connection and have very little problems. Lag happens to everyone. The main drawback will be the computer. The better video card, processor, more Ram, etc. you have, the more you will enjoy the game. You can turn down resolution settings, and terrain distance settings etc. The actual game itself doesn't use up many resources. I usually run two WoW accounts at a time, Ventrillo, IE, AIM, and probably a few other things with no problems.

As for afford to play....If you rent 3 movies a month = 9 hours of entertainment = ~13 bucks. If you play warcraft = I average over 300 hours a month = 14 bucks. Well, 36 bucks for me I have two accounts so i can playthem at the same time. Which is the better deal?
    what kind of specs do you need? I tried to download the free demo but it said it would take 52 hours - I decided NO! hahaha. but I didn't know it ran only about $14 bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by funkypunkyboy View Post
    I used to think that way too. Its better than going to a bar and getting wasted, yes. It's better than alot of 'bad habits', but think about it, that's 63days of your life, 2 months that you've logged at your computer.

I have 2-3 jobs that require a fair amount of computer time, at least 2 hours a day. I'm sure there are alot of people who log 6 hours or more a day. Sitting, eating, computing. If you add your WOW time ontop of that, wow, that's alot of time.

I don't want to be raining on everyone's parade, but this game is seriously addictive, and now that I've put it behind me, I ask, why? What's so great about it? Nothing! Here's why:

The Game: The actual dynamics of the game are very flat. Boring even. I felt like I was doing exactly the same thing at level 1 as I did at level 70. I just had a few more 'pretty' things to do it with, and the enemies took a little longer to kill. At level 1 you're running around fighting boars and wolves, skeletons, zombies, spiders and raptors. At level 70, you're still fighting boars and wolfs and skeletons and zombies, spiders and raptors. They just get a palette swap and a name change. Lame! How is it that a game I'm paying $15 a month for the same stagnant content. A game that is pulling the same kind of stuff that games did 20 years ago when they had to worry about money/time/space on a cartridge or disc.

The AI in the game is so low. Outside you can run away from things if the fight goes badly, elites, chase you down until you're dead, no matter what. An intuitive game would allow you to escape anything, providing you were smart enough, and with enough tricks.

The Players: As for the players, they are even worse. I've played several MMORPGS and the wow community is the biggest bunch of sniveling, mud slinging a-holes ever. I have to block ALL chat lines because people post nothing but garbage. If you want to see the jibberings of a bunch of ridiculous, homophobic, nerdy, damage crunching selfish little brats (some of them supposedly adults) praddle on about trash, sure, open up the chat lines. I turned on ventrilo for about 10 seconds and after listening to some turd curse and swear like a sewage pipe, I deleted the program. Or how about being the kind of player who can successfully navigate any dungeon, never die, plan and prepare for just about anything and considerately give to the team what is needed, and be denied team after team because some mega nerd says "Oh, your build isn't what we want" (because they've only mastered one and know nothing more than they're told but some bigger nerd) or "Your gear isn't good enough" (because they've invested 208 days of play in their character) like they all started as experts. Was I the best player? No. But I was constantly having to prove myself to little mindless creeps half my age. You want to see the kind of people that play WOW? Pop on over to youtube and watch some of the fan/player made videos. Trash.

The Support: From Blizzard? Phffsst! Countless times the game errored and I was set back and there is nothing they can do. Then they make changes with patches, altering how your characters behave and they don't give you a free 'respec' for skills if they don't feel a change is in order. What about YOU feel a change is in order? Nope! No help from Blizzard! You have to pay for their changes with more investment of time! What kind of BS is that!? Its garbage.

If you're considering getting into WOW, stop now. I was once a player, and I've seen what it does to people. You don't want to be one of those guys who counts the minutes at work until you can get home and 'pwn sum noobz wit ya leets gearz'.
    But FPB how do you REALLY feel? to be honest I don't get addicted to anything, no matter how much I like something it's really easy for me to walk away, thanks for the warning though, but I'm still curious.

it's silly that people take things THAT seriously but I've seen it before in other things. for me at the end of the day it's just a game and every so often - it's fun to get under the skin of those idiots.
    Last edited by krosfyah; January 15, 2008 at 04:18pm.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Evil Master of Warcraft
    click this link for computer requirement specs. I'm addicted. I won't lie. But its what I really enjoy doing. I have duel wield monitors so I surf the web and stuff while I have downtime in the game. I love the 25 man raids in the higher lvl instances. It's not your basic tank and spank it takes a lot of effort to down some of the bosses.

As for pvp, not a big fan of it. I do it from time to time to save up a little bit of honor and buy gear from time to time. Plus the /ignore feature is great! If they start to annoy you all you have to do is ignore them and problem solved.

If you find, or have, a great group of friends, and awesome end game guild, you SHOULD love to play the game.

the downloader isn't always correct with the time. But then also the torrent they use just blows for some people. I never had a real problem with it after about the first or second patch, but I knew tons of people who couldn't download patches through it at more then say 1.kpbs or at all.

Vent is just like a webforum, the moderating etc on them shows easily.

Player age, it isn't just a supposedly 95% of the people I ran into were over the age of 16 at least. And of those under the age of say 14 the majority were in some capacity monitored by parents.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Evil Master of Warcraft
    oh, and if you are trying to install with Vista there are a few tricks to it.

oh, and if you are trying to install with Vista there are a few tricks to it.
    still running xp so I think I'm ok there, I'll look into what I can do tonight. these cold winter nights I'm so bored at home so I wouldn't mind giving this thing a try . I love fantasy but I don't want to devote time to reading a BAD fantasy book and as I've been ranting about lately fantasy movies tend to get cheaped out on most times so I need SOME kind of fantasy fix.

Fear is faith in failure

Evil Master of Warcraft
    What add ons do you all use? I use deadly boss mod, titan panel, omen threat meter, cartograpther, auctioneer, CTMod are the basics. I found a cool that we use for Gruul which shows where you need to stand during the fight. I added xpearl over the weekend and I must say it's pretty cool. Atlas and AtlasLoot enhanced are nice, but where I use two monitors I usually just pull the info up on wowhead.com. geeze what else do I use....all in one inventory is nice. Less bag cluster on the screen.

For those that don't have auctioneer I highly recommend it. Not only does it show how much things sell for in AH, when you are picking up quest rewards to sell to vendor, or just junk in the game, it tells the price each item will sell to vendor for. Also, I have an add on, might have came with auctioneer, enchantrix or something, that tells what items shard into when DE'd.

Needless to say, I hate when the do big patches. Takes me forever to get my stuff updated and all my frames/buttons are screwed up. If I go to a friends house and log into my account on his PC, I can't play because I'm so adjusted to playing with my setup. I don't even remember what it looks like to play without a custom UI.

There are a few things like wuu, that will search the websites the addons are posted on when you tell it to and update the addons also. I used it and it worked pretty good. It helped when stuff got broke with patches. Also it helped on keeping uptodate on mods. For example when omen started out as a replacement for klh, there were updates almost daily sometimes more often. Using WUU I was able to run it before starting up and keep up to date on addons. As I recall WUU stands for WoW UI Updater, and I was right link to the addon on here.

http://wuu.vagabonds.info/

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

i'm with funkyangryboy. i used to enjoy the game but then i found myself counting numbers to get ahead, worried more about my items and having to invest more time to keep up with everyone else. not really enjoying myself it became work. had friends that would hit level 60 while i was at level 20 because they played so much. Southpark hit the nail when they did their parody of this game, its like that in alot of ways. be careful if you invest in this game.

Both me and my wife play WoW. Both have 70 characters, me a undead warrior and her a troll mage, acouple of 60's, and others. Play on Proudmoore server, been playing for 2 1/2 years now. We play in moderation, little hard now with a 16 month old running around. I really enjoy it. I don't mind paying the $14.99 a month, versus $69.99 for a new PS3 game.

Sean79

The New Adventures of Ion HeManOfGreyskull's Avatar
    Well, I've been on Velen for all of two weeks and really liking the game. Lvl 28 Stormwind Paladin already Still haven't instanced, if mainly cause of time constraints, but I'll get around to Deadmines hopefully soon to give the whole process a tryout.
    Rob
    Captain Picard:So...five card stud, nothing wild...and the sky's the limit.

Master of Power Suction Killian's Avatar
    Been playing Warcraft for about 6 weeks. I'm on the Kul Tiras server if anyone wants to say hi. Got A level 52 male Blood Elf Hunter called ClampScamp and a level 36 female Blood Elf Warlock named Enchantra.
    I have a few more low level characters of other races that I don't really play, but I'm more than happy to do quests etc with anyone from the org if you wanna message me.
    He who dies with the most MOTUC wins!

HAAAAAAAAAPPYYYYYYYY..... Prince Adam's Dad's Avatar
    OK. I caved. I got the 14-day trial version of WoW. Had to see what the hype was about.

Does anyone have any suggestions to someone who is starting from scratch with no knowledge of the game? Alliance? Horde? Class?

Thanks.
    Sadly, you can't divorce emotion from a toyline built on nostalgia.

Got Man-E-Faces, give 'em Whiplash when I Battle-Cats

Heroic Warrior
    I play alliance on frostwolf, I have a level 56 Drenai Hunter named Abominabull. Any other alliance on frostwolf look me up. Any horde on alliance look out for the bull!
    Nathan

The New Adventures of Ion HeManOfGreyskull's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Adam's Dad View Post
    OK. I caved. I got the 14-day trial version of WoW. Had to see what the hype was about.

Does anyone have any suggestions to someone who is starting from scratch with no knowledge of the game? Alliance? Horde? Class?

Thanks.

Do what looks cool and feels right for you.

I picked a human paladin since that's what I wanted to be. I might try a blood elf or night elf next.
    Rob
    Captain Picard:So...five card stud, nothing wild...and the sky's the limit.

HAAAAAAAAAPPYYYYYYYY..... Prince Adam's Dad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HeManOfGreyskull View Post
    Do what looks cool and feels right for you.

I picked a human paladin since that's what I wanted to be. I might try a blood elf or night elf next.

That's what I picked. Supposedly, they can heal and absorb a lot of damage. Seemed like a good starting point for a newcomer.
    Sadly, you can't divorce emotion from a toyline built on nostalgia.

Got Man-E-Faces, give 'em Whiplash when I Battle-Cats

Most of the classes aren't bad for beginners, what we said about warriors is mainly just a shortcoming in that they are gear dependent up to about level 10 though you won't notice much of an issue. A rogue can get more out of running a more stealthy talent build leveling up, but that can be trickier to play with then a straight combat build.

I have heard people complain about clothies being tougher in the early levels, but really they aren't as long as you pull with long cast time spells and get dots or the shorter cast times up next it shouldn't be too much of a problem. The difference in the armor types becomes more abundant the further you go up to level 5 pretty much everyone can take about the same amount of damage for example. With that said a shadow priest can be very nice as an early character.

Hunter is a class that is real easy to learn the basic of send in pet hit autoshot loot (mend pet as needed) but to really play the clas take a bit more skill.

One of the problems you will find with a paladin is having to switch in and out of your seals etc in the middle of a fight. Throwing one up, to judge it to put on another seal to judge with it again. Then you have the single biggest problem you will have to face, people expect paladins to heal in the long run.

Generally speaking most of the classes you can start out with without much problem with a basic understanding of the game it isn't till you learn the ins and outs that you will really notice differences and why. For example there have been players who have done a melee hunter from 1-70, basically never using a ranged weapon, players who played a warrior and only used what gear they picked up from quests and drops, players who never spent a talent point, players who only bought upgrades to a certain skill sometimes even none at all and they all did just fine.
    Last edited by wyldman11; February 3, 2008 at 03:38pm.