Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: World of Warcraft

Evil Master of Warcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by Killian View Post
    Got my Skunk!

Working on my Fawn now

And my Hippogriff mount
    I'm probably getting close to 80 pets now. As of right now I am ranked #54 on my server w/ achievements (5300). I still have a bunch that should kick over soon and really boost me up like 30 exalted reps.

I don't get to raid much anymore because I got a girlfriend (/fail I know). I log in and do a few dailies and mess around.

Neat little side note...~1996 when ICQ was the biggest chat craze, one of my best friends found a girl online to chat with from New Zealand. I chatted with her too and kind of got know each other. I didn't talk with her too much over the next 12 years, but my best friend did. She has even came to the states and we've met up. Long story short, one of those random chat friends who you get to know and stay in touch with for a long time.

I hadn't talked with her in a long time and I saw her on Facebook. She works for Blizzard now. Her name is even in the credits to WotLK instruction manual. So now we chat back and forth non-stop. Me trying to get info from her and giving feedback
    Giving away three free months of World of Warcraft + copy of game. PM me for details.

Diablo III Battletag = Hordack#1465 WoW - Ghostlands Sever XBL Gamertag = Hordack1980

Widget
    The WoW tcg game released cards of Adam Eternum and Keldor the Lost in the last expansion set. I didn't even know these existed until I was looking through my packs and ran across Keldor. Here are pics of the cards.

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
    The WoW tcg game released cards of Adam Eternum and Keldor the Lost in the last expansion set. I didn't even know these existed until I was looking through my packs and ran across Keldor. Here are pics of the cards.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h1...ternum-350.png

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h1...w98/keldor.jpg
    Okay. Seriously. This is why I hate Blizzard. They do stuff like this all the time. Sure you Blizzard fans/wow addicts who actually know of and like MOTU will be like "No, its a great homage..." but I see it for what it is. This is blatent plagerism. If DC can get money out of JK Rowling, I want Mattel (even though they do dumb crap with the MOTU property all the time) to sue Blizzard for millions over this and pump it into MOTU.

Seriously! Hit them in the WOWballs where it will hurt the most!

The New Adventures of Ion HeManOfGreyskull's Avatar
    No!!!! That will kill the chance of us getting a Green Tiger mount with red armor!
    Rob
    Captain Picard:So...five card stud, nothing wild...and the sky's the limit.

Heroic Warrior
    Ok, Mattel can sue Blizzard AFTER the Green Tiger with Red Armor

Maybe Blizzard can keep the images, but give Mattel money for licensing.

Evil Master of Warcraft
    If they have to pay MOTU for the Adam Eternum and Keldor the Lost (which I think is great), then they will have to pay for Harris Pilton, which I also find hilarious. Paris doesn't need any more money.

It does bring up a good point. I have a friend who works for blizz. I'll ask her how they get around likeness rights.

btw, anyone going to blizzcon? I'll be there.
    Giving away three free months of World of Warcraft + copy of game. PM me for details.

Diablo III Battletag = Hordack#1465 WoW - Ghostlands Sever XBL Gamertag = Hordack1980

So I did some research on several websites and the current WOW population is about 10 million people. At approximately $14 USD a month, that would mean that WOW earns Blizzard approximately $140'000'000 a month!

$140'000'000 a month, and that's not including profit from merchandise of which WOW has everything under the sun.

Quote Originally Posted by GeologyMule View Post
    Paris doesn't need any more money.
    Apparently, neither does Blizzard.

Disconnect yourself...

YES! YES! YES! Prince Adam's Dad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GeologyMule View Post
    It does bring up a good point. I have a friend who works for blizz. I'll ask her how they get around likeness rights.
    They probably do it by avoiding actual names that have been trademarked. I would be curious to see if 'Keldor' has a Mattel TM on it. Aside from that one, all of the recognizeable names have been altered, and therefore likely fall under the 'parody' or 'homage' umbrella. And that would probably explain why I had to change the name of my Warrior, Grayskul. He's Greysonn now, but my Paladin is 'Platino'. Hehe.
    Sadly, you can't divorce emotion from a toyline built on nostalgia.

Got Man-E-Faces, give 'em Whiplash when I Battle-Cats

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Breaker View Post
    So I did some research on several websites and the current WOW population is about 10 million people. At approximately $14 USD a month, that would mean that WOW earns Blizzard approximately $140'000'000 a month!

$140'000'000 a month, and that's not including profit from merchandise of which WOW has everything under the sun.

Apparently, neither does Blizzard.

Disconnect yourself...
    PR strikes in most of those announcements. The announcement starts off talking about subscriptions, or accounts then subtly switches to unique players. In China accounts only cost some like the equivalent of 2-3 american dollars, but you can only have on character on an account so it isn't unusual for Chinese players to have 4-7 accounts, especially since they have time lockouts (you can only play one character for something like 5 hours a day).

Also there is the practice for many players to take over friends accounts when they leave the game.

The main purpose of that though is to state not all accounts cost 14 dollars a month.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    PR strikes in most of those announcements. The announcement starts off talking about subscriptions, or accounts then subtly switches to unique players. In China accounts only cost some like the equivalent of 2-3 american dollars, but you can only have on character on an account so it isn't unusual for Chinese players to have 4-7 accounts, especially since they have time lockouts (you can only play one character for something like 5 hours a day).

Also there is the practice for many players to take over friends accounts when they leave the game.

The main purpose of that though is to state not all accounts cost 14 dollars a month.

Hmm, interesting I did not know that. So with China's restrictions, players could potentially be spending more than their US counterparts for the same experience?

In theory but there are a lot of logistics and player to player issues. I know many people who play here in the states for example that do things that play every other month, and sometimes only for a couple of weeks out of the month. Some only play one character never making any alternate characters, others make bank alts, others make playable alts. Some play less in a day then the time caps China has, others play over etc.

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

SPOILERS FROM BLIZZCON

SPOILERS

NO REALLY, SPOILERS!

Okay, so WoW: Cataclysm, new playable races are the goblin and Worgen. Ability to fly anywhere in Azeroth now. 7 new realms. And a complete and total destruction/"remodeling" of the world as we know it. I'm pretty psyched, as the things I saw definitely have me excited to see what's coming our in the expansion. The concept art shown was awesome!
    "It's not about how hard you can hit. It's about how hard you can get hit, how much you can take,
    and keep moving forward.
    That's how winning is done." -- Rocky Balboa

I am more excited for this new expansion that I was for the last two put together! Maybe it's the nostalgia talking, or perhaps I am just thrilled that the world is actually evolving as time is going by. The old world was so stagnant that it really needed a shake-up like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Flor2099 View Post
    I am more excited for this new expansion that I was for the last two put together! Maybe it's the nostalgia talking, or perhaps I am just thrilled that the world is actually evolving as time is going by. The old world was so stagnant that it really needed a shake-up like this.
    Ditto. I'm a very casual player of this game, but the new info has me really excited to dive in (no pun intended) and check it all out. I'm just as excited to start seeing the new races interacting with everyone now!
    "It's not about how hard you can hit. It's about how hard you can get hit, how much you can take,
    and keep moving forward.
    That's how winning is done." -- Rocky Balboa

Evil Master of Warcraft
    Wow! (No pun intended). Day 1 of Blizzcon delivered. I played 20 minutes of each of the new factions starting areas. The Worgen transformation is cool, but I wasn't really drawn to the overall playability. The Goblins however were a blast to play! I'm already anxious to roll one and re-level in the redesigned Azeroth. Oh, and the new graphics for the water are absolutely amazing. Gives the game a whole new feel.

Jinx had some cool new stuff there. I loved the new beanie! I also did a "Create your own custome WoW Character Poster". It is sort of like the Figure Prints, but you customize your own poster. That was neat. There will also be a new horde and alliance coffee cup this fall (stein people are making it). I also went ahead and signed up for the new WoW magazine and got a plush Murloc.

I didn't get around to playing StarCraft II today, but I will tomorrow.

Master of Power Suction Killian's Avatar
    I cancelled my WOW subscription a few months back since I was losing interest.

I reactivated it last week to see how I felt about continuing but I still wasn't feeling it. Plus I'm having loads of latency issues.

Maybe my WOW playing days are over?
    He who dies with the most MOTUC wins!

Quote Originally Posted by Killian View Post
    I cancelled my WOW subscription a few months back since I was losing interest.

I reactivated it last week to see how I felt about continuing but I still wasn't feeling it. Plus I'm having loads of latency issues.

Maybe my WOW playing days are over?
    Get out before the new content hits and it sucks you in again. I tried picking up the game again just to kill the winter blues when its -35C outside and the piece of crap bored me to tears. Its soooooooooooooooooooo crappy. No wonder I left.

I just started downloading more 80s cartoons and arranged some xbox nights with friends.

Greatful his pants are on bskcase's Avatar
    I've stopped playing wow for about 5 months now and I thought I was doing well until a friend got me Star Trek Online for my birthday. Now I'm a Starfleet officer and I really like this game over wow.

There is a lot of Trek content in it, it sort of plays like WoW but you have ground and space missions. It is fun.
    We survived the long night.... MOTU Forever!

Evil Master of Warcraft
    I've really enjoyed the WotLK content. I'm not a hard core raider like I used to be, but I still log in everyday. Either to scan the AH or run a few dungeons. I still think the greatest thing was the achievement system. I'm over 7K points now.

I only recently got into WoW in the past month. I put it off for various reasons... I thought my computer wouldn't run it, wasn't thrilled with the idea of paying for the game and then having to keep paying each month to play, and I knew what the online gaming community acted like and didn't want anything to do with them.

But, my wife got it to work on my computer, I gave it a try and I really love it. Very fun. I'm still not very social. Mostly, I got so involved and enjoy doing my missions alone. Also, I hear the chat in Trade and it turns me off of sociallizing. Also, I do NOT want to be the lame newb that's like "Play with me!" "Please help me!" etc and when they team with me, I'm lame and suck.

I'm currently a Lv. 29 Troll Rogue, with Herbalism and Alchemy as skills, named Billhuggins. I'm on the Madoran server. Anyone else on Madoran?
    "I won Dungeons and Dragons! And it was advanced!!" -Pierce Hawthorne-

Evil Master of Warcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofblaine View Post
    Also, I hear the chat in Trade and it turns me off of sociallizing. Also, I do NOT want to be the lame newb that's like "Play with ?
    All the nubs finally leveled high enough to get out of the barrens and make it to the city. Barrens chat has turned into trade chat. People love to troll, qq, and other things. I think there are some add-ons that filter out chuck norris, murloc, and well...other things. I found some really great people to run with. Known a few of them now for over 5 years. We've become pretty good friends. When not in-game we chat a lot on FB.

Main thing is don't let it consume your life. Been there, done that. Play a little in RL also.

I have no idea what game you lot have been playing but I just tried a free trial to see what the fuss was about and in the space of 20 mins it managed to reach a level of tedium that quite frankly I would have deemed to be impossible had I not witnessed it first hand.

Quite how this game sucks the life out of so many people I can honestly say I have no clue because it is terrible...and I mean terrible. It is the kind of game that deserves to be made into a movie by Uwe Boll because only his god awfulness could ever do justice to this...thing.

I have always hated using the keyboard to move, sorry the WASD keys just don't feel as natural as a thumbstick to me (neither does using a mouse to aim a gun in fps games).

The combat was terrible, but then that is how I feel about combat in any game where all you do is press a button once (in this case the right trigger) and you can pretty much leave them to get on with it. Oh yeah I know you can cast spells and stuff and move / dodge. But I didn't bother and I still kicked major ass. Despite how it is disguised it is still glorified turn-based which is the one reason I refuse to play Final Fantasy games because I want to actuallyplay not just press 1 button every 10 mins and watch my stupid character get to do all the fun stuff

Speakign of which does health just not go down or regenerate faster than you can get hurt? I mean I fought zombie after zombie and wolf (young scavenger) after wolf, one after the other without using anything that would affect my health in the slightest and at the end of it all (which in my case was roughly 20 battles) i had full health with the area around me strewn with glowing corpses...and all I did was press the right mouse button 20 times

Now before you say I should give the game more of a try before I blast it, and I probably just hate it because it is WOW, I say this. I never hated the idea of WOW, in fact it sounded like a fun game because I love fantasy rpg games (Elder Scrolls 3 and IV are two of my most played console games). What I was always against was having to keep on paying to play a game I have already paid for.

A game to me should pull you in from the beginning, it should be fun and exciting and...everything WOW isn't which is bland, monotonous and boring.

if it isn't for the fact it is a free trial I would demand my money back and an apology from Blizzard for inflicting this tripe on the human population...and I may still ask for the latter.

Still I like the action figures you can buy for it...those are pretty sweet looking and who doesn't love

LEEROY JENKINS

????
    Last edited by wolfsfang; February 13, 2010 at 11:31pm.
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Health regeneration starts slowing down after level 20, same with mana. A lot of the fuss deals with PvP and end game PvE content. The first is more dynamic with using interrupts and controlling others, the first can easily be called glorified contra centered around knowing the tricks to the fights.

About the cost, it's all about how much time you spend being entertained. Video games without subscriptions have one of the highest time spent to cost ratios out there. If you think your typically movie costs 10 bucks and is right around 2 hours in length, compared to a video game that is 50 bucks and at least 20 hours of play time. I play around and hour to two a day right now so I am paying 15 bucks for 30-60 hours of entertainment a month. My time spent has backed off because of repetitiveness. When The last patch came out I was putting in closer to 4 hours a day for a good month in.

But in comparison I couldn't stand either of the Elder Scroll's games, I loved Dragon Age: Origins, Knights of the Old Republic and I really need to give Fallout 3 a chance.

One of the problems with the game is really the fun begins for most players much later in the game, so unless you can play for free on the test realms which you can sometimes create max level characters, or play a friends account not much can be done.

Dragon Age is good, KOTR falls under the turn-based fighting style which totally puts me off and Fallout 3 I rate below WOW.

But you see what you said is my poitn exactly, I don't want to have to wait until later in the game for it to be fun, I want it to be fun straight away. Sure there is the whole character creation and "welcome to the wonderful world of Azeroth" intro rubbish to sit through but after that I wanted to go out there into the world of warcraft and actually enjoy myself.

If a game expects you to play for hours until you reach the fun part then in my opinion it has failed spectacularly...and miserably...failed spectacularly miserably

or to shorten it... EPIC FAIL
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

The fact that WOW only costs $15 a month and you can play it as much as you want is not a good reason to get into it. There is simply no good reason to get into it.

Just go back to the first few pages of this thread and you'll see my experiences with this game. Seriously, it doesn't get better. How the game feels at level 20 is how it feels at level 80, you just have more pretty spells to cast, and more 10 year olds that can kill you in 2 shots when you step into a PVP zone. It gets soooooooooooooooo stale so fast.

Just stay away from this game. WOW culture drives me nuts too. I just watched a video of BlizzCon (it was sent to me by someone who despises warcraft). Holy crap these people are nuts. Will I don't deny that Blizzard has created some fun stories, and cool characters, and the artwork in the merchandise sometimes blows my mind, I can't get over Hordes of people cheering and freaking out or "We've adjusted the cooldown from 30secs to 15" or "This character will get a permanant 1% increase to-" its just nuts! Even when I played the game, and enjoyed some elements fiercely, I wasnt that crazy. Sheesh. I was following the new Star Wars game, but the more I read about it and the gameplay I see just looks like WOW dressed up like SW.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfsfang View Post
    EPIC FAIL
    Can I ask where you picked that up? Anywhere specifc? The Internet? Because a friend of mine has this annoying girlfriend who I can barely stand to be around and she often recites such idioms that she digs up online, and gets him saying it, and my boyfriend saying it, and my ears wanting to bleed. This is not a personal attack, I only ask because it seems to be everywhere.
    Last edited by Sky Breaker; February 14, 2010 at 02:13am.