Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: World of Warcraft

After playing a bit now, I don't think I'll be subscribing. The game is fun, yes, but for me it's just too much. I think I'm going to save my gaming money for when Diablo III comes out

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Breaker View Post
    You should read my previous posts about Warcraft before you venture further. Let me assure you, you will spend hundreds of hours of your life, and hundreds of dollars and accomplish nothing.

You're better off organizing social events with friends, swimming, working out, reading, watching movies or enjoying thousands of other activities. The only thing you will achieve by sinking into WOW is ensuring that Blizzard is successful in creating another highly addictive, money sucking game to enslave another 10 million people.

My friends Nathan and Geneva were like brother and sister, they did everything together. He started playing WOW and she became concerned. She had heard how some people take it. Sure enough, within a couple months he was neglecting her, me, his chores and became a hermit. Now, she can't even get him to come out of his room. He missed a group dinner last week at his favorite restaurant. 4 of his good friends were there, and his younger brother. We have not seen his face in 4 months. All he does is play WOW, and he is probably the one of the most powerful mages on her server. Yeah. Great accomplishment.
    It's a very simple task to learn how to balance one's time. Just because WoW can be played indefinitely, it doesn't mean that everyone does.

I got this for Christmas and I'm loving it! I only have the first WOW and Burning Crusade right now, but that's plenty. I'll probably get Lich King if the price goes down in a year or so and I'm still playing. I tried City of Heroes for a while but got bored quickly. I find the missions in WOW much more fun.

I can't say I've been too bothered about it sucking up too much time. Certainly no more then any other game does at first. I mean, it's always going to be there the next time I come back.

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    I got this for Christmas and I'm loving it! I only have the first WOW and Burning Crusade right now, but that's plenty. I'll probably get Lich King if the price goes down in a year or so and I'm still playing. I tried City of Heroes for a while but got bored quickly. I find the missions in WOW much more fun.

I can't say I've been too bothered about it sucking up too much time. Certainly no more then any other game does at first. I mean, it's always going to be there the next time I come back.
    Oh yea, there is no comparison between WOW and COH thought I did enjoy COH when i played it. I quit for the same reason though, it just got boring after awhile. Honestly, I liked making the characters more than anything in that game.

I'm glad i never started playing this, i wouldn't have a life. My friend plays this all the time and said it's addicting...I have almost caved a few times but heard its awesome. Most of my friends play it, i haven't played a cpu game though since starcraft.

Quote Originally Posted by Ionus View Post
    Oh yea, there is no comparison between WOW and COH thought I did enjoy COH when i played it. I quit for the same reason though, it just got boring after awhile. Honestly, I liked making the characters more than anything in that game.
    I hear you! At first with WOW I was a little disappointed the customization of your character was so limited (especially compared to COH) but then I realized that your costume is changing all the time with new equipment and I liked that. I think the problem with COH, at least when I was playing it, was that the missions were usually very bland and the locales not varied enough. It may have gotten better as I haven't played in a couple years.

Quote Originally Posted by HE-FAN79 View Post
    I'm glad i never started playing this, i wouldn't have a life. My friend plays this all the time and said it's addicting...I have almost caved a few times but heard its awesome. Most of my friends play it, i haven't played a cpu game though since starcraft.
    I will say it can be addictive! I keep wanting to do ONE last mission. I think the fact that I spend 8 hours a day in front of my computer at work keeps me from doing the same at home, even if it's to do something I actually WANT to do.

Heroic Warrior
    It seems when it comes to online gaming, people either support it 100% or have nothing but disdain for it. Personally, I have not had pleasant experiences with online gaming.

Non mmorpgs are good, however I do not believe I should pay to play a game to be bombarded with spam messages from automated cheat services and other petty annoyances. That subscription money should pay to keep the game spam free. Also, players tend to be very juvenile and extremely rude.

Its very easy to get sucked in by all the buzz Blizzard creates, however they deliver a poor product in regards to their moderation of your fun, fantasy gaming experience.

I got the 10 day free trial and was sooo bored! I put in about 12 hours but then just quit. The game environment is beautiful but the fighting is so boring, I'd much rather play Fable 2 or Two worlds or even Halo and Fallout 3 on my Xbox 360 and I don't have to pay to play those.
    Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. G'Kar Babylon 5
    A warning on a chainsaw

DAVI MUST DIE!!

Evil Master of Warcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by Duebert View Post
    I got the 10 day free trial and was sooo bored! I put in about 12 hours but then just quit. The game environment is beautiful but the fighting is so boring, I'd much rather play Fable 2 or Two worlds or even Halo and Fallout 3 on my Xbox 360 and I don't have to pay to play those.
    Grinding does sometimes suck, but it never bothers me. A lot of dungeon boss fights are pretty much tank and spank, but some of the higher end content battles are really fun. The crap part is the amount of time needed to get to that point.
    Giving away three free months of World of Warcraft + copy of game. PM me for details.

Diablo III Battletag = Hordack#1465 WoW - Ghostlands Sever XBL Gamertag = Hordack1980

I think it's just a different sort of fighting and people either enjoy it or they don't, on some level. I think it's fun. But to be honest fighting isn't even the most enjoyable aspect of the game. I like exploring, doing the quests, getting new gear and reading the tidbits of story. To me the action part is enjoyable (especially if you're fighting higher level guys consistently) but not the main reason for enjoyment.

Anyone got any of the "action figures" that DC Unlimited is putting out? I love them. They're really more like statues then figures but the sculpts and paint jobs are really cool. I'm just amazed at the details and love the designs too. I have all of the first series and most of the second. Series 3, the rest of Series 2 and 2 deluxe figures should be winging their way towards me soon.

Evil Master of Warcraft
    I haven't gotten any of the figures. I do have one figure print, and I'm waiting on getting another tier set before I get another one. Or I might get my DK pimped out. The figures are pretty cool though. I was really close to getting the one of Illidan. If they make one of Arthas I'm all over it.

If you do like the story and haven't played Warcraft III yet, it is definately worth it.
    Giving away three free months of World of Warcraft + copy of game. PM me for details.

Diablo III Battletag = Hordack#1465 WoW - Ghostlands Sever XBL Gamertag = Hordack1980

Most mmos start you off with a very small and basic skill set, and many of the classes really won't start taking an individual flavor till levels 10-20. To make things worse healing classes tend to start off with half the skill set being healing related and can be a bit more of a pain till they get more combat oriented skills.

The story really doesn't start kicking until the newer content this has been a complaint for sometime, there is story but it is frequently bits and pieces with very little resolution at the time.

--------------

I have a few of the figures I wanted Illidan but I just couldn't see myself paying twice the price for figure that only (to me) cost that much more because it had a bigger box and a stand. Same with the vindicator, granted his size does seem to be much larger and from what I have seen of the tauren hunter the same is true. The next set of figures seems to be a bit more generic a succubus, murlocs, tuskarr etc.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Master of Power Suction Killian's Avatar

I think the fighting varies depending on the class you play.

For instance, I can't play as a warrior. It bores me rigid, but I love playing as Mage or Priest where you select different spells to cast and change tactics all through the fight.

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    Anyone got any of the "action figures" that DC Unlimited is putting out? I love them. They're really more like statues then figures but the sculpts and paint jobs are really cool. I'm just amazed at the details and love the designs too. I have all of the first series and most of the second. Series 3, the rest of Series 2 and 2 deluxe figures should be winging their way towards me soon.

I have both of the Undead Warlocks and both of the Troll Priests that have been released as well as the Night Elf Druid. I wish the figures were fully poseable and smaller, like it'd rock if they fitted in with the MOTU classics or 200x figures. I'm looking forward to them releasing the Murlocs and the Gnoll figures, and Lady Vasj. I think it's weird that we haven't got a figure of Arthas, he's the main wow character. A figure of Sylvanas would be awesome too!
    He who dies with the most MOTUC wins!

Evil Master of Warcraft
    I love my hunter because the fighting can be very dynamic. I crowd control/dps, dps, crowd control, misdirect, etc. it is so fun.

My second toon I started was a warrior because some of my friends we run with said we needed a tank. It took me over three years to finally get him to 70. I HATED playing that warrior to no end. I got a paladin to 60, and my DK is 72. If was going to tank I would go that route. I love the Death Knight. I will get her to 80, but I don't see myself lvling my other toons up much further. I love questing, but I hate leveling. I'm getting close to the 3000 quest completed on my hunter.

Granted I use to run with a fury warrior and his dps was insane. I tried fury for a while on my warrior but I just couldn't get the hang of it to make myself useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Killian View Post
    I think the fighting varies depending on the class you play.

For instance, I can't play as a warrior. It bores me rigid, but I love playing as Mage or Priest where you select different spells to cast and change tactics all through the fight.
    I would agree. I haven't tried out all the types yet. My main character is a Blood Elf Mage and I really enjoy that. The different spells and their effects are fun. I started a secondary Draenei Warrior and it's a nice change of pace, but so far I'm not too excited about the different options for the warrior. Hopefully it gets more exciting at higher levels. I do like the higher hp though for them.

I have both of the Undead Warlocks and both of the Troll Priests that have been released as well as the Night Elf Druid. I wish the figures were fully poseable and smaller, like it'd rock if they fitted in with the MOTU classics or 200x figures. I'm looking forward to them releasing the Murlocs and the Gnoll figures, and Lady Vasj. I think it's weird that we haven't got a figure of Arthas, he's the main wow character. A figure of Sylvanas would be awesome too!
    I love how HUGE they are, but I hear what you're saying about them being a great addition to a MOTU collection if they weren't. I also hope they eventually release more of the characters from established Warcraft lore. I know they released some in the past but they are crazy expensive now. Surely we'll at least get a Lich King soon...

Most of the characters released have been in support for the Wildstorm World of Warcraft comic (Wildstorm being part of DC comics basically). Which is the link to DC direct, most of the previous figures were released by other companies and were often met with mixed results from my understanding which is why they tended to only get 1-2 waves of figures.

I need to glue my draenei mages sword the part that was supposed to come off to allow it to be put on her head didn't work like that and I still think it was molded as one piece upon further inspection.

------------

About differences in the classes, warriors can get better late on but do (as has been said in this thread often) scale better with gear and tend to be a better secondary character up until a certain point. The big problem a warrior has early on is rage is gained the most when getting beat on and learning how to manage it while leveling.

The similarities I mentioned deal with mostly for the first 10 levels you are doing some combination of spamming 1 and/or 2 till whatever you fight dies, body placement is really the only difference.

Currently I have a level 80 hunter, 80 (holy) paladin, 77 warlock, 71 warrior and a 63 deathknight. I also have various other characters here there level 30 mage, 20 priest, 20 rogue the last two on different servers for when the one I play on was trying to convince itself it wasn't a pencil.

The statement about quests being kind of one dimensional early on is, most of the early quests deal with this is being corrupted/acting funny go find out why, kill them, get samples, use this device on them quests. Even the whole silithid qiragi thing was setup like that and that is a constant story in regards to the Old Gods. There are and were some other story lines that pick up now and then, the missing diplomat/defias/onyxia one (resolved finally) is an example. Burning crusade started getting more cohesive and having more of an overall story board. Wrath of the Lich King does it even better. I also like many quest give in WotLK are saying things like finally someone here who knows what they are doing instead of, oh another inept fool to do errands for me. In other words it feels more like you are part of the story, and having your own contribution to the lore.

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

This is me.

I am in a Naxx guild that is chugging along. I usually do around 1200-1300 dps.
    Want List: Mosquitor Staction, He-Ro, Orko + Adam, Keldor, Battle Armor He-Man
    Trader Feedback

Well, I have not played since before summer, and now my best friend who I played with (who never stopped playing) talked me into getting the 10 day free trial. After 2 solid days of downloading patches and the XP, I logged on and sat there for a good hour readjusting and relearning the new interface and all the new features. I didn't even leave the inn I was at. Some of that time was spent setting up CTMod again. I really feel overwhelmed right now and timid to even start doing anything. I don't even know where to put my points now, because I haven't even kept up on the new changes.

I highly doubt I will get the XP after the 10 days is up. I do have a question about the pets though. I thought I did read somewhere that if you dumped a pet because you didn't have room for it, there was a place you could go to get them again. Where is that if so?

Evil Master of Warcraft
    That is for non-combat (vanity) pets. Say if you got one for a quest reward then trashed it, you can visit a stable master and he will give you the ones you trashed. They are all now stored in a special place. That is one of my favorite aspects of the game. I've collected about 60.

Master of Power Suction Killian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GeologyMule View Post
    That is for non-combat (vanity) pets. Say if you got one for a quest reward then trashed it, you can visit a stable master and he will give you the ones you trashed. They are all now stored in a special place. That is one of my favorite aspects of the game. I've collected about 60.

Fifteen more and you get your Fawn! Yay!
    He who dies with the most MOTUC wins!

Evil Master of Warcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by Killian View Post
    Fifteen more and you get your Fawn! Yay!
    There are still a few classics I need. The green whelping, the slime, mr. pinchy, white kitten and the phoenix. I haven't started lich king stuff yet. I am so far behind on my main it isn't funny. I've taken a liking to the death knight.

HAAAAAAAAAPPYYYYYYYY..... Prince Adam's Dad's Avatar
    So I got my warrior to 80 about a week and a half ago (alas, my poor former-hunter main is still sitting at 71 ) and have been gearing and grinding on him since. It feel silly to be an 80 tank pugging instances on regular, but I really needed to learn them...

Oh, and the only way to powerlevel is with recruit-a-friend. My wife got a laptop for Christmas, so we needed another copy of the game to play on the new computer.I "invited" the new account to the game, and pre-payed for the 2 months for my Zhevra mount and the experience bonus. We transferred our son's lv. 30 Rogue (he's 9, btw) to the new account so he would have the option of playing while my wife and I were both on. Well, we had the idea of running the rogue and my 30 Pally through Gnomer (with my son just set to follow). I had no idea how fast the TRIPLE experience would add up. After 2 trips through Gnomer and another 2 through Uldaman (roughly 6 hours of playtime), he was at 42 and my Pally was at 43, and both were very well-geared. I can't wait to do this again with them going through Zul Farrak. It's not out of the question for us to have a number of toons to level 60 by the time the experience bonus runs out .
    Sadly, you can't divorce emotion from a toyline built on nostalgia.

Got Man-E-Faces, give 'em Whiplash when I Battle-Cats

There are still a few classics I need. The green whelping, the slime, mr. pinchy, white kitten and the phoenix. I haven't started lich king stuff yet. I am so far behind on my main it isn't funny. I've taken a liking to the death knight.
    deathknights are stupid fun to play, I tell everyone if they having nothing else to do roll one if for nothing else then the starter zone.

Doha, Qatar, Arabian Gulf ... clearly no where near the US of A ... in case you were curious... not suggesting at all that your geography skills are bad... I'm just saying... anywho...
    The game is way addictive y'all

And I'm way farther behind you GM. Haven't even done the Burning Crusade Qs on my main. so yeah.... big SIGH

Been trying to jump on to a US server for ages now .... doesnt seem to be an option over here in the Mid East though... only European servers
    "Milk is for babies" - Arnold Schwarzenneger

Since this gaming thread seems to have the most life...

I'm here with a with a question. How do you WOWers feel about immunity/spell absorbing/healing? One would think that in a world of myth and magic there would be spells, potions, artifacts that would make a character permanently immune to at least 1 type of damage.

I remember back in the days of Diablo II, I had a Sorceress that was immune to fire, and another to lightning. I had some other characters with immunities. In some instances the Assassin that was trying to kill me, was actually healing me with her lightning, saving me from the axe of the Barbarian. It made for interesting battles and added more depth to the character.

In a game that is far more customizable, I think it would be interesting to have your own personalized character that could oh say, be healed by lightning, or a warrior that is immune to all physical damage/healed by it.

It would make PVP situations interesting since you would have to be more a strategist to defeat certain players whom chose defense over high damage. Player A could build a fire mage that is pure damage. Player B one that does half the damage, but is immune/healed by all fire. I thought this could be interesting for future MMOs.

Thoughts?