View Poll Results: How do you rate the vintage Stonedar and Rokkon figures? (with 10 being the best)

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 point

3 10.00%
  • 2 points

1 3.33%
  • 3 points

2 6.67%
  • 4 points

3 10.00%
  • 5 points

2 6.67%
  • 6 points

6 20.00%
  • 7 points

3 10.00%
  • 8 points

3 10.00%
  • 9 points

3 10.00%
  • 10 points

4 13.33%

Thread: Stonedar & Rokkon vintage figures review thread

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar

Stonedar & Rokkon vintage figures review thread

A slight upturn in posts in last week's thread looking at Leech, but I think it's really hurting these threads being tucked away in the sub-forum.
    I think I'll keep going with the figure reviews, but maybe not the vehicle reviews, as it seems harder for us to all think of things to say about them.

Anyway, this week it's a rare double figure review, as we look at those Comet Warriors of the cosmos, Stonedar and Rokkon.
    (These guys are pretty similar, so I thought I'd cut my losses and stick them in together).

The Comet Warriors were released with the 5th wave of figures in 1985/6. Their 'gimmick' was that they could transform from comet rocks into full-standing warriors.

Stonedar, the more aged, gold-y looking one, was the wise old leader. Rokkon, the more silvery, younger one, was his hot-headed protégé.

I have heard that originally only Stonedar was going to be released, but Mattel changed their minds at the 11th hour to include Rokkon as well. Whether this is true or not I'm not sure.

I got my Rokkon and Stonedar together, on the same day, which was quite a big thing for me. It was the first time I had seen them sitting on the shelves, and I was allowed to buy them with some birthday money.

The figures are fun to play with and look good, even if they do feel a bit like they're from a different toy-line.
    I had a lot of play out of them. In my battles, I used to like them having resting in rock form on either side of Grayskull's jaw-bridge, awaiting for Skeletor to try and attack before they launched themselves at him!

The characters are notable for a number of different origins and settings relating to them in various sources - one even has them in the 'Princess of Power' setting instead of Eternia!

The figures are a little less common on the second-hand market in my experience, and I have found a lot of Stonedars to have their gold turned a bit green with age.

There was no Stonedar and Rokkon in the 200x revamp line and accompanying cartoon series, and - as yet - no sign of even a staction. Time will tell.

In rating the actual figures... I like them a lot, even if, as I said, they don't completely feel like they're from the same toy-line... I'll give them a decent 8 out of 10.

Now I'd like to hear your own comments, thoughts, memories... anything to do with the comet duo. And whether you post or not, don't forget to rate the figures in the poll!
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

These two are amongst my favorites, and I've been shouting from the mountains since the 2002 line was announced to have these two re-done for the toy, comic, and cartoon series, but it never happened. And now that the staction line seems to be running out of steam, there go all chances of seeing Four Horsemen "remakes" of this kick-ass duo. But I digress...
    I'm pretty sure I got my pair of Comet Warriors on the same day too- and I'm guessing quite a few of us used them as "guards" on either side of the Grayskull drawbridge because I played that game, too. I also liked to have Rokkon manning the controls at Point Dread.

The Demon of Screamin' JonnyTyler's Avatar
    I gave these guys a 5. I wasn't ever really into them. Like Spacedust said they didn't look like they belonged to Masters of the Universe, and that was probably my biggest reason for never wanting them. However, I did get Stondar from my Grandma one year for my birthday. I wasn't too excited, but I figured, I'll try and like him. But he never really came around for me.

Although, when it came time for someone to die in battle, Stonedar was always happy to volunteer.. His head, and limbs were so easy to pop off, Skeletor was lopping off his head, or arm almost every time they'd face eachother.

Because he was a part of my childhood, and on some small level, I did enjoy playing with him, even though it involved murdering him almost every time, I had to give him at least a 5. If for nostalgia alone.

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    I'm pretty sure I got my pair of Comet Warriors on the same day too- and I'm guessing quite a few of us used them as "guards" on either side of the Grayskull drawbridge because I played that game, too. I also liked to have Rokkon manning the controls at Point Dread.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one!
    I wonder how many more using-figures-for-certain-means collectors have in common. Sounds like an idea for a thread...
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

I gave them a 6. They were fun to play with, for me anyway. However, I never had any desire to give them star-status. They always had supporting roles. I think I used to use them for recon. They would disguise themselves as rocks and listen/spy on the bad guys.
    Always looking for new clients!

My eBay feedback

My Org Feedback

I gave them a 7. Of course, they don't look like belonging to MOTU, but still, they are interesting. Their ability to transform into a rock in a turtoise-like way was a good feature idea. Plus, in the comics, they are described as having a strong fear of any violence at all. This second caracteristics perfectly fits the first: being unable to twist or move quickly, their feature is 100% made for defense. As they bend to hide their vulnerable points and only leave the rocky parts to attackers, they kill two birds with one rock by immediately also camouflage in a landscape. Indeed, not so many ennemies would dare to imagine that the rocks standing here and there are living beings! Very, very well done and interesting characters.

Heroic Warrior
    I gave them a 4. They were introduced at a time when Mattel was starting to get too gimmicky and off base with their new characters. It's not that I didn't like them. They were pretty innovative figures in their own way, I just couldn't get into them.
    "Tri-Klops, Master of Vision. I will need your gamma vision to see around EPA guidelines!"

-Skeletor, evil master of Housing and Urban Development

I gave them a 3. They were very silly much like the gO-Bot Rock Lords. I had both as a kid but they were gotten mainly because my grandparents saw the MOTU logo on the box. They basically remained in rock form next to Greyskull or as a projectile aimed at my brothers head.

I liked the Rokon and Stonedar, I did the same gaurdian thing on ether side of Grayskulls drawbridge. the only thing that kind of bothered me and yes I did see this as a child. the way they transformed.

in rock form giveing a moona so to speak to become a rock. still seemed like a comprimising poisition to me. but im probley alone in this veiwpoint. other than that, I got a lot of play out of them. there powers where cool inmune to lazers, hurling themselfs at evil warriors. my rock warriors could fly as well. alltho Rokon seemed more of a fighter. stonedar the ageing rock man, I felt a little guilty about putting him in battle. for some reason?

They get a 5 from me. I was never a big fan of these figures as i viewed them more as an attempt by Mattel to add Transformers to the line.
    Mike Jr. 1983-2008 the void left will never be filled. Rest in Peace Brother.
    Sgt Weigand

eBay Feedback

" Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elswhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
    --Calvin and Hobbes

Voted 8 for me! I like the design and the possibility to close them and make it rock!

Nice figures and playable.
    The gleam of the Power Sword lights your way as you enter the fantastic world of Eternia...