View Poll Results: How old should He-Man be in a new movie?

Voters
136. You may not vote on this poll
  • Late teens

11 8.09%
  • Twenties

74 54.41%
  • Thirties / older

51 37.50%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How old should He-Man be in a new movie?

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar

How old should He-Man be in a new movie?

So if / when a new Masters of the Universe film gets made... how old should He-Man be?

Let's look at the options:

• Late teens, just learning about his new powers
    • Twenties, settled into his powers more, but still learning
    • Thirty / older, a more seasoned, war-weary warrior (try saying that thee times fast!)

I think all three options could open up some interesting plots.
    What do you think?
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

Evil fears the Knight mattnotis's Avatar
    Adam should be in his late teens, but He-Man should look to be in his mid-20s.
    Wabawalawoo!!!

Both Adam and He-Man should be in their 20's. There is no need to be precise about their age, but I think Adam should look like his around 22 and He-Man should look around 27.

Southern-Fried Preacher Dave-Man's Avatar
    Well... if they have to have the transformation aspect, I think it should be similar to the situation that MYP portrayed. Adam is a rank, inexperienced kid in his teens, while He-man is a confident, powerful warrior mid-to-late twenties
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"Don't let worry kill you, let the Church help"

Co-Creator of the NV
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave-Man View Post
    Well... if they have to have the transformation aspect, I think it should be similar to the situation that MYP portrayed. Adam is a rank, inexperienced kid in his teens, while He-man is a confident, powerful warrior mid-to-late twenties
    That sounds about right to me.

Shazam! Sounds like Captain Marvel to me.

I voted in 30s, maybe even older. I would prefer the movie to reflect on the life-long battle between He-Man and Skeletor, so He-Man should look older, battle-hardened. I think it would be more epic and believable.

Wasn't Aragorn 80 in LOTR?
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    27-28, no older than 30, for a 1st movie

Last edited by Orko's Magic Hat; December 4, 2007 at 11:52am.

I think that teenager Adam would be too young. If they make him a teenager than we'll have one of the following problems:

1. Either, he will be too immature to handle the problems he faces, or

2. If Adam is immautre but He-Man isn't, we'll have the problem of them not being the same person. (and I would prefer them being one and the same).

I really should be workin wingprincess's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VZX View Post
    I voted in 30s, maybe even older. I would prefer the movie to reflect on the life-long battle between He-Man and Skeletor, so He-Man should look older, battle-hardened. I think it would be more epic and believable.

I agree, I would prefer an older he-man. I think it would be more believable since he-man is a leader. I keep thinking of Arnolds look for conan. He was in his mid thirties. Just my opinion!
    "Instead of a Dark Lord, you would have a queen, not dark but beautiful and terrible as the Morn! Treacherous as the seas! Stronger than the foundations of the earth! All shall love me and despair!" - Galadriel

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar
    I'm of the same belief. I'd like to see him more battle-worn, and like the battle with himself and Skeletor going back for many years.
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

Adam should be in his early 20s and He-man in late 20s or early thirties. I noticed that when people age over 23-25 you can't tell that much the difference between them being 23-25 or somewhere between 30-35.

"Oh dearie my!" Mer-Man's Minion's Avatar
    Well... if they have to have the transformation aspect, I think it should be similar to the situation that MYP portrayed. Adam is a rank, inexperienced kid
    He stinks? No baths on Eternia?
    Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

28 to 37. He-Man needs to be a leader. Early-twenties is just to young for He-Man.

I like him in his early teens. Angst issues there. Plus he might appeal to a teen audience.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

Lycan
    Late twenties early thirties. Its He-MAN, not He-Boy..
    What next? It seems every month lately there is something..

In my opinion the age could be between 25-30.

Widget
    Whether or not he looks like he is in his late 20's or 30's, don't He-man and Adam share the brain, and thus the same maturity level. Doesn't the transformation to he-man give him all of the brute strength, but none of the collective knowledge of the elders? I guess that's neither here nor there. I always thought Adam knew he had to act differently when he was transformed into He-man. Plus it's easier to jump into battle when you know you're He-man...lol.
    Anyway,
    I do believe the transformation should make Adam into a visibly larger and "older looking" individual compared to the character Adam. Whether or not it is in the late 20's or 30's is of no concern to me.

I'm Anime Hyper-Detailed Battle_Brak's Avatar
    I voted lated teens (with Adam in mind). Maybe early twenties would work, but I wouldn't go over 25 for Adam. There needs to be a noticeable discrepency between the ages and maturity of Adam and He-Man. They have to appear to be completely different people on the outside. In the beginning I imagine that both the He-Man and Adam personas are equal parts acting. A part of Adam still is immature but not as much as he lets on. Likewise, a part of him is truly noble. As He-Man he struggles to live up to this ridiculous standard of moral perfection. This conflict adds the human element to the character. It's why episodes like The Problem with Power are so classic.

Having the same basic model for Adam and He-Man worked alright in the Filmation series because the simplicity of the art was forgiving. He-Man could've been 30 just as easily as he could've been 20. Live action isn't as forgiving. Aside from the obvious problem with them looking identitical and no one figuring out, there is the issue of an adult Adam acting like an adolescent. The way Adam acts in both Filmation and MYP is completely unacceptable for an adult. So while Adam needs to be a teen or ealy 20s at the latest He-man should definitely look adult (25-35 would be a good range).
    Check out my various dinosaur sculptures: http://he-man.org/forums/boards/show...re-in-progress

It takes out all the angsty fun if hes 30 something. YAWN. I want someone who is just coming into their powers, who is fumbling around a little.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

I always thought of Adam as a rich spoiled teen before the sword. I would say 17 but he-man 28-30, I mean he gains all the wisdom and power of Grayskull, that's gotta put some years on a person.
    My Videogame List at Gamespot.com

-------------
    I am a slave to the Japanese Train system.

I said twenties but I'm not so sure if I wouldn't mind seeing He-Man looking more mature at around 32 or so. I don't want him looking too young and I definitely don't want Adam so teenie looking.

Shhhh... It's a Secret... Midwinter's Avatar
    I am torn between 20s - 30s.

It all just depends on the actor. I would prefer an animated or CG movie so I have a hard time thinking of a live actor.
    In Midwinter, the heat from the oven baking my Shrinky Dinks is all I need!

I keep leaning toward an animated movie too, but I really think that a well done live action pic will do volumes for broadening the fan-base. In that vein, I say that Adam should be mid to late teens and He-Man should be roughly 25-30 or so.

I wonder if it would make sense to cast Adam, then (ala Hulk) CG He-Man to look like an older, buffed up Prince. That worked OK for The Hulk, but I think it would just suck here, to be honest. The trick is casting those two roles perfectly. I would say that that particular task, coupled with a helluva script and good special effects, will make or break the film. Oh, and a great Skeletor.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Battle_Brak View Post
    I voted lated teens (with Adam in mind). Maybe early twenties would work, but I wouldn't go over 25 for Adam. There needs to be a noticeable discrepency between the ages and maturity of Adam and He-Man. They have to appear to be completely different people on the outside. In the beginning I imagine that both the He-Man and Adam personas are equal parts acting. A part of Adam still is immature but not as much as he lets on. Likewise, a part of him is truly noble. As He-Man he struggles to live up to this ridiculous standard of moral perfection. This conflict adds the human element to the character. It's why episodes like The Problem with Power are so classic.

Having the same basic model for Adam and He-Man worked alright in the Filmation series because the simplicity of the art was forgiving. He-Man could've been 30 just as easily as he could've been 20. Live action isn't as forgiving. Aside from the obvious problem with them looking identitical and no one figuring out, there is the issue of an adult Adam acting like an adolescent. The way Adam acts in both Filmation and MYP is completely unacceptable for an adult. So while Adam needs to be a teen or ealy 20s at the latest He-man should definitely look adult (25-35 would be a good range).
    Right on. Couldn't agree more.
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

Historian of Eternia LORD FALLEN ELDOR's Avatar
    Two actors. Adam is 15 and He-Man is 25. They should look like the same person who is 10 years apart.

Shazam! Sounds like Captain Marvel to me.

That's because it is Captain Marvel. You can have the thing you speak of, just not in the first film.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan View Post
    I think that teenager Adam would be too young. If they make him a teenager than we'll have one of the following problems:

1. Either, he will be too immature to handle the problems he faces, or

2. If Adam is immautre but He-Man isn't, we'll have the problem of them not being the same person. (and I would prefer them being one and the same).
    An origin should be a coming of age story. When you watch Batman Begins Bruce Wayne isn't a skilled warrior until the end. It's the lessons he learned along way that made him theMAN.

Quote Originally Posted by Spacedust View Post
    I'm of the same belief. I'd like to see him more battle-worn, and like the battle with himself and Skeletor going back for many years.
    They gave us that in 1987. People need to be reintroduced to who these two are first before we see how the years of war have made them who we fans already know.

Quote Originally Posted by Havoc View Post
    Late twenties early thirties. Its He-MAN, not He-Boy..
    But Adam is. I want to see a transformation...Not a light show with the end result is less clothes and a deeper tan!
    Last edited by LORD FALLEN ELDOR; December 1, 2008 at 10:36am.
    http://kotaku.com/why-fanboys-act-like-jerks-1563379006

'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments" (Matthew 22:36-40).