View Poll Results: Should Skeletor Die In The Movie?

Voters
157. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep Skeletor Alive!

107 68.15%
  • Kill Skeletor & Bring Hordak In For The Sequel!

9 5.73%
  • Kill Skeletor & Bring Him Back In The Sequel!

9 5.73%
  • Kill Skeletor & Bring Him Back During The Credits!

18 11.46%
  • Only Kill Heroes!

7 4.46%
  • Only Kill Henchmen!

7 4.46%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should Skeletor Die In The Movie?

Should Skeletor Die In The Movie?

It seems that most of the time we have a movie based on a genre franchise, they kill off the villain. Sometimes it's because the people behind the movie don't have as much love for the franchise as the original fans do and it could also be because, without the guarantee of a sequel, they want to give the movie closure. After seeing 1987's Masters Of The Universe movie in the theatres, I didn't even know Skeletor survived until I re-watched it again on cable(my parents never stayed through the credits when I was a kid). If we finally get a new MOTU movie, do you want to see Skeletor die at the end?
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

skeletor can always make a come back as a villain, even if you kill him off and it can make sense... unlike Jason V or Michael Myers. Nonetheless, I say kill him off in the first one, bring Hordak in for number two. Bring Skeletor in to end 2 and then bring skeletor, hiss and Hordak in for the trilogy. That's just the way I want to see it... but what do I know
    Auto-reply: out of the office until further notice, please shoot me an e-mail below or wait for a long time to hear back... happy MOTUCing

E-mail me:
    boggs32@marshall.edu

Thanks Guys! (my Positives in TR):
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...threadid=62577

Skeletor should not die at the end.

There should be a musical number where Adam and Skeletor meet at a bar and Ram-Man shows up for comical relief though.
    In Midwinter, the heat from the oven baking my Shrinky Dinks is all I need!

actually, I take that all back.... KELDOR should "die" at the end, then the other stuff I said should happen.
    Auto-reply: out of the office until further notice, please shoot me an e-mail below or wait for a long time to hear back... happy MOTUCing

E-mail me:
    boggs32@marshall.edu

Thanks Guys! (my Positives in TR):
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...threadid=62577

Keep him alive I say, it's become a cliche to kill off the villain in movies these days - the Spider-Man films are terrible for this.

They can always have him 'appear' to die at the end, and just ressurrect him in the second, but you can't have a MOTU movie without Skeletor, imo.

Kill off Skeletor!

You WEREN'T kidding??

Absolutely not.. He-Man without his Arch Villain?? Preposterous! (though I am hardly objective, us Old Sorcerers have to stick together, you know!)

Co-Creator of the NV
    Not in the first one. He should narrowly escape, but the heroes can think he is dead. Like a cave-in or something. But it should be clear to the audience that he is alive.

If it makes it to sequels, he should be in the background of the second movie which should feature the Snakemen. Hiss should die in that.

Then in the third movie he should make a big return with his old master, Hordak, which is when both he and Hordak should die to close out the trilogy.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Latveria View Post
    Not in the first one. He should narrowly escape, but the heroes can think he is dead. Like a cave-in or something. But it should be clear to the audience that he is alive.

If it makes it to sequels, he should be in the background of the second movie which should feature the Snakemen. Hiss should die in that.

Then in the third movie he should make a big return with his old master, Hordak, which is when both he and Hordak should die to close out the trilogy.
    I agree he should be presumed dead by the heroes and the audience, I wouldn't mind a hint that he's not dead at the end of the credits.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

The Cerebral Assassin hhhelmsley's Avatar
    Keep Skeletor Alive.

*batteries not included Captain Atkin's Avatar
    Skeletor is like the Joker to He-Man's Batman. He should never die.
    "Live the journey, for every destination is but a doorway to another." --- Man-At-Arms

www.hemanworld.com

It could be that you think Skeletor is dead at the end of the movie and then after the credits you see the following scene:

Skeletor is barely holding on to life laying on the ground when a familiar webbed foot design comes in to camera. The foot taps Skeletor's nearly lifeless body and then you hear in the familiar pig like voice of Hordak, "We will bring a force to Eternia - that not even you can stop He-Man "oink" "oink"."
    In Midwinter, the heat from the oven baking my Shrinky Dinks is all I need!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Everyone should believe he's dead at the end of the movie, only to be revealed to have survived death in the credits or an epilogue.

You obviously can't kill Skeletor off, but you have to have a resolution to the story. I don't think sending Skeletor off to jail works these days. Banishing him to another dimension is letting him runamuck somewhere else.

The problem is if the villain keeps just escaping even narrowly it starts to become that old cliche that so many make fun of now based on their losing faith in the hero of the franchise to put a stop to the villain.

They have even learned this in many comics a handful of villains have died and haven't returned yet (some over a decade ago), others are left out of the story for several years.

But on the other hand extended serial formats such as comics and (animated) television shows need either constantly new villains or for old villains to return to keep the story going. Movies do work in a completely different way though as most movies never really get a sequel and even within the ~two hour frame of a film you can have many near apprehensions or actual apprehensions to have them get away. The Dark Knight is an example of this.

Killing off Skeletor, it depends on what kind of story they end up going with and how his potential escape could potentially change the tone of the film. His escape would probably play out differently in something more like the (early)minicomics then either of the animated series for example.

I don't think he should outright die, I think the best thing to do is let the story dictate what you have to do. The problem I see in many of the movies today is they write towards killing off the villain(s) instead of letting the story decide whether they should live or die.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Even if they went through the route of killing Skeletor off, they can probably work it to show him survive at the beginning of the second movie. I'd prefer Skeletor doesn't die though.

That would be like killing Darth Vader in Star wars 4.
    Коможедапрочитанекапрочита:овимсајтомуправљајулуда циопседнутиконтролом.Јебаоихмателијебаоихскот .

Master of Power Suction Killian's Avatar
    They can't kill Skeletor off too early on in the movies. I think it's fine to have Skeletor appear to die but survive, or be killed if there's a plot development that lets us know he will be resurrected.

Save his permanent death for the 30th movie
    He who dies with the most MOTUC wins!

Killing Skeletor would be like killing lex luthor in a superman movie.

Greatful his pants are on bskcase's Avatar
    I have to agree with the majority. What good would sequels be without Skeletor?
    We survived the long night.... MOTU Forever!

Co-Creator of the NV
    Looking at my earlier post in here, it also strikes me that I would be okay with his dying in an ambiguous manner with no hint given to the audience in the first movie.

The ambiguousness of it allows him to come back later, which I feel is essential as he should have some sort of role in later movies. But the lack of a hint would allow the movie to stand on its own if there is no sequel made and let us feel that it was a completed story.

Heroic Warrior

If it becomes a successful movie franchise?

If it became successful sequels theres only so many times people are gonna watch He-man fight same bad guys. What about in the sequels he could fight King Hiss or Hordark or Count Marzo. People have complained villains die in superhero movies but well thats cause the directors know there is lots of cool villains they can use with Batman for example if they don't use the Joker they
    have Catwoman, Two Face etc. There is only so many times people would wanna watch a superhero fight the SAME villian sequel after sequel.

Southern-Fried Preacher Dave-Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    It seems that most of the time we have a movie based on a genre franchise, they kill off the villain. Sometimes it's because the people behind the movie don't have as much love for the franchise as the original fans do and it could also be because, without the guarantee of a sequel, they want to give the movie closure. After seeing 1987's Masters Of The Universe movie in the theatres, I didn't even know Skeletor survived until I re-watched it again on cable(my parents never stayed through the credits when I was a kid). If we finally get a new MOTU movie, do you want to see Skeletor die at the end?
    Isn't he sort-of dead to start with? I mean, he does have a disembodied skull for a head. He could easily appear to die in the first movie, and then show up again later with the revelation that he is, in fact, undead and has been ever since his transformation from Keldor.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"Don't let worry kill you, let the Church help"

Co-Creator of the NV
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave-Man View Post
    Isn't he sort-of dead to start with? I mean, he does have a disembodied skull for a head. He could easily appear to die in the first movie, and then show up again later with the revelation that he is, in fact, undead and has been ever since his transformation from Keldor.
    Do all versions of Skelly have a disembodied skull?

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Latveria View Post
    Do all versions of Skelly have a disembodied skull?
    Imo, that was just a shortcut in the art. Never once did he do something like hold his head or throw it. If his head was truly disembodied, I'm sure that Filmation would have done something like that.

If he was undead, he'd be undefeatable. That would make He-Man useless in his fight to vanquish evil.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Southern-Fried Preacher Dave-Man's Avatar
    Not all Undead are undefeatable. Usually an undead being has at least one weakness - like Imhotep's fear of cats and his vulnerability to ancient Egyptian spells (as seen in the 1999 version of The Mummy.) Skeletor could be vulnerable to the forces unleashed by Castle Grayskull - which is both why he wants to own it, and why He-man is the enemy he fears the most.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"Don't let worry kill you, let the Church help"

I don't think Skeletor should die in the first film. Maybe fake his death, but if we're lucky enough to get a trilogy, I don't want him dead until the end.
    It's great being Lord of the Thundercats - especially hanging out with Cheetara - but the one draw back is that He-Man can still beat me up.

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...06#post1993306
    Somewhere In Exo-Squad, a fan art by Matt Tyree (just in case you're curious)