Lord Dactys

05/25/14:
    King He-Man and Queen / Sorceress Teela - concepts

05/24/14:
    Sweet Bee - concepts
    Peekablue - redesign (vintage colors)

04/27/14:
    Frosta - redesign
    Peekablue - redesign (regular and "powered-up" versions)

11/22/13:
    Mallek

Hi.

I'm pretty new to the whole "message board" thing, so please forgive (and discreetly draw my attention to) any breaches of etiquette. I'd hate to be rude .

Anyway, I thought I'd post some of my own work and see what you all think. Constructive criticism is welcome and probably appreciated.

I will say that these were done a couple of years ago, and my style has changed a little bit since then, but not too much.

Also, some of the images are in color, and some are not. If anyone wants to try their hand at adding color to the black & whites and post the results, that would be fantastic.

Here's my He-Man - the colors are just colored pencil. I might still have the black & white somewhere around; I'm going to see if I can find it.

Here's my Skeletor:

Man-at-Arms:

and Beast-Man:

I have a couple more to follow. Thanks!
    Last edited by j-bird; July 18, 2014 at 07:38pm. Reason: updated with recent posts

Here are a couple more:

Teela:

Evil-Lyn:

Stratos:

Mer-Man (was partially colored, so I just reduced the color saturation):
    Last edited by j-bird; January 19, 2008 at 07:47pm.

The last bunch from what I'd done:

The Sorceress of Grayskull (I always like to hear that full title):

Trap-Jaw and Tri-Klops:

I used the same stance and scale to give them a feeling of same-ness, kind of like the old figure line had.

Again, thanks in advance for any feedback.
    Last edited by j-bird; January 19, 2008 at 07:49pm.

Very nice! I like them alot!
    He weeps, for he has but one small tongue, with which to taste an entire world!

Lots of original custom t-shirts and stickers available @ http://www.redbubble.com/people/mightyrain
    Many designs based on Masters of the Universe, Classic video games and random movies/cartoons/movies we all know and love.

Sweet Style, j-bird & great pics!
    My DA Page

www.TheBeastLegion.com is officially online. You can read the Manga in it's entirity there! Hope you give it a try enjoy it.

Beast Legion FaceBook Page ...Join me & help spread the word!!

I love them!
    They’re familiar, but different! Nice work!

Great pics j-bird
    http://galvatronartstuff.blogspot.com/

Check My Fan Characters
    -------------------------------------------
    Press here to see Houndor
    Press here to see Aetheron

Evil Master of Meejitz super-munkyboy's Avatar
    Very impressive dude, liking the weight of the lines.

Ever tried computer colouring them?
    JITSU!!!! Thank the Elder Gods!!!!

DeviantART - http://super-munkyboy.deviantart.com

Commissions - [TBA]

Keeper of secrets beyond the legends's Avatar
    Wow, j-bird. Those are seriously sweet. I can't think of any cooler art style out there right now. There is plenty of tallent on here but your's is so refreshing and amazing. I am surprised to see you not having joined al the redesign challenges long before. I hope you will join them now. This stuff is beautiful and great scale.

Hugs and keep'em comming.
    Look for my designs on Deviant art. I am under Octobersdream. Will do commissions of anything, original to recreating any older line. Also needing POP stuff and some MoTU things aswell.

Good stuff, J-Bird! I really like the Beast-Man.
    Do you need to buy, sell or rent a home in Northern VA, then contact me at varealtor1@verizon.net

There All very good BUT I gotta tell ya I have no love for the noses it looks like they all PO'ed Fisto one half second before you drew them. I realize it's part of the toonish nature of your art. but still, not everybody has a blunt nose. Rob Liefield at his best. Your comic version mossman should be killer.
    SMANOMEGA'S "NEWER" CUSTOM GALLERY BELOW
    http://s16.photobucket.com/user/sman...?sort=3&page=1

Very tight work! I love it!
    Trust me, trust me, be a'right,
    Drink a little poison 'for you die,
    Sign' blood or fool night,
    Drink a little poison 'for you die.

Quote Originally Posted by super-munkyboy View Post
    Very impressive dude, liking the weight of the lines.

Ever tried computer colouring them?
    Thanks - The line work is pretty simple (just inked with an art pen). As far as computer coloring, I've thought about it, but I currently don't have a decent program. That's part of why I mentioned that if anyone wanted to give it a try, feel free. I'd love to see some really good colors on my lines.

I don't feel like MS Paint is going to cut it for me, but I guess I haven't tried it. Any suggestions for a decent starter program (or would you just bite the bullet and get a good one)?

Quote Originally Posted by beyond the legends View Post
    Wow, j-bird. Those are seriously sweet. I can't think of any cooler art style out there right now. There is plenty of tallent on here but your's is so refreshing and amazing. I am surprised to see you not having joined al the redesign challenges long before. I hope you will join them now. This stuff is beautiful and great scale.

Hugs and keep'em comming.
    Well, I just started taking a look at the forums recently, and I might see what I can do for the next redesign challenge (even though I'm not really that familiar with Lightspinner). I'm glad you like them; it's always good to get a positive response from somebody's work you admire.

Quote Originally Posted by maczero View Post
    Good stuff, J-Bird! I really like the Beast-Man.
    Thanks - I love how the 200x version made him more bad@$$, even if they also kept him an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by smanomega View Post
    There All very good BUT I gotta tell ya I have no love for the noses it looks like they all PO'ed Fisto one half second before you drew them. I realize it's part of the toonish nature of your art. but still, not everybody has a blunt nose. Rob Liefield at his best. Your comic version mossman should be killer.
    Thanks for the feedback - I do have a tendency to do a certain "type" of nose, and I guess I never really saw the Liefield comparison before ... not sure I see it now, but it's definitely something to look for since I'm not a huge fan of his work. I appreciate the constructive criticism. If we stop learning, we stop improving, right?

Anyway, thanks to everyone for the responses, and feel free to keep 'em coming. I'm going to try and get some more recent work up here, but I think we all know how time gets away from us, especially at this time of year. Thanks again!

I think these are pretty Fierce!
    The angles & overall style is great! My personal favorites though would be Teela & Evil-Lyn, I just love the weight & posture of those 2!!
    Keep up the good work!
    Check out my MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ART & More at my ART BLOG!!!

JafariStew's ART BLOG!! UPDATED 6.1.14!!

MOTUC RECORD

NEW! MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ORIGIN ART CARDS PART 4!!

"Revenge is like JAFARI STEW, it tastes best served cold..." ~SKELETOR (the Beginning part 2)

This is my take on Beyond the Legends' She-Ra re-design. I liked it so much I had to do my own interpretation. I am going to try and add some color at some point, but here's the linework:

Last edited by j-bird; December 15, 2007 at 06:21pm.

Asp'r the Contrarian SnakeMenPriest's Avatar
    WHOA!!! Now THAT'S a sword fit for the princess!

--Asp'r
    In Kansas, it is a crime to eat rattlesnake meat in public.
    You are upsetting the blessing of the Snake God. ALL HAIL RATTLOR!!

Check out 2-bad's Original epic: Origins of The SnakeMen!

Quote Originally Posted by SnakeMenPriest View Post
    WHOA!!! Now THAT'S a sword fit for the princess!

--Asp'r
    I know, right? That's all Beyond the Legends' design. I kinda dig it.

OMG.

Blushes. Thanks SnakeMenPriest, glad you like.

J, buddy, wow. I am so flattered you posted her in here too. I am anxious to see if anyone colors her in here. Would be fun to see others takes on here who may not have seen her colors from my design. Or who just want to see her in their own color scheme.

I have to admit I agree with Jafari, I too love the way you drew Teela and Evil-Lyn's weight and posture. I just love all the things you do to them though, from the muscle definition to the nose shape. almost kind of remings me of Boo. I think it suits tham all amazingly. I only wish you could do all my redesigns so they looked animated. We would make an awesome team. LOL.

Take care for now and can't wait to see more from you.

Hugs and happy holidays.

Toby
    Look for my designs on Deviant art. I am under Octobersdream. Will do commissions of anything, original to recreating any older line. Also needing POP stuff and some MoTU things aswell.

Recently moved to GA! Help! I need to know new people!
    Love all your artwork.

They're alll awesome looking. I like Stratos' pose most of all, don't know why.

Anyway, is there a reason why they're all looking sideways? I seemed to be sensing a pattern here.
    By the Power... and For the Honor of GRAYSKULL!!!
    HE-MAN and SHE-RA Rules!!!

"Frustration is only felt when one realizes there is an option!"
    - Ancient One (BeastMaster: The Series; Fifth Element)

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from MAGIC!
    - Clarke's Third Law

OMG.

Blushes. Thanks SnakeMenPriest, glad you like.

J, buddy, wow. I am so flattered you posted her in here too. I am anxious to see if anyone colors her in here. Would be fun to see others takes on here who may not have seen her colors from my design. Or who just want to see her in their own color scheme.

I have to admit I agree with Jafari, I too love the way you drew Teela and Evil-Lyn's weight and posture. I just love all the things you do to them though, from the muscle definition to the nose shape. almost kind of remings me of Boo. I think it suits tham all amazingly. I only wish you could do all my redesigns so they looked animated. We would make an awesome team. LOL.

Take care for now and can't wait to see more from you.

Hugs and happy holidays.

Toby
    So glad you like her! As far as not being able to wait to see more, the feeling is mutual!

Quote Originally Posted by GrtEternal View Post
    Love all your artwork.

They're alll awesome looking. I like Stratos' pose most of all, don't know why.

Anyway, is there a reason why they're all looking sideways? I seemed to be sensing a pattern here.
    I used the same stance and scale to give them a feeling of same-ness, kind of like the old figure line had.

The faces are in profile for a single reason: it's easier for me!

Thanks again to all for your positive feedback - does a boy good to know his work is appreciated.

OK, here is a lil manip I did on your He-Man and aded color to She-Ra. Hope it's OK that I post it in here. Let me know what you think.

So excited to see what you did with her too. They look so awsome together to me.

Hugs

I really like your style. It is close enough to oldschool but just different enough to keep it new and "yours"...Awesome!

Heroic Warrior
    Great stuff! thumbs up from me.

You should draw Hordak next since he's the most badass villain in teh MOTU galaxy.

OK, here is a lil manip I did on your He-Man and aded color to She-Ra. Hope it's OK that I post it in here. Let me know what you think.

So excited to see what you did with her too. They look so awsome together to me.

Hugs
    I LOVE that you added your color scheme and posted them together - Terrific!!! Thanks!

My Light Spinner redesign is up in that contest thread, so if anyone wants to take a look, she's there. I also did a version of Kactura by Super Munkyboy - she's posted in that thread if you want to take a look.

So I added a more "classic" color-scheme to my drawing of Beyond the Legends' She-ra. The colored-pencil isn't translating very well once scanned, and I'm not sure I like what I did with the sword, but here it is.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by j-bird; December 27, 2007 at 01:05am.

j-bird: welcome to the org! your drawings are really solid, and i love your anime-like style... the characters' faces remind me of final fantasy tactics. awesome work man, can't wait to see more!
    Visit my sketchblog at its new URL: JASONBOT.com!