Lord Dactys

05/25/14:
    King He-Man and Queen / Sorceress Teela - concepts

05/24/14:
    Sweet Bee - concepts
    Peekablue - redesign (vintage colors)

04/27/14:
    Frosta - redesign
    Peekablue - redesign (regular and "powered-up" versions)

11/22/13:
    Mallek

Hi.

I'm pretty new to the whole "message board" thing, so please forgive (and discreetly draw my attention to) any breaches of etiquette. I'd hate to be rude .

Anyway, I thought I'd post some of my own work and see what you all think. Constructive criticism is welcome and probably appreciated.

I will say that these were done a couple of years ago, and my style has changed a little bit since then, but not too much.

Also, some of the images are in color, and some are not. If anyone wants to try their hand at adding color to the black & whites and post the results, that would be fantastic.

Here's my He-Man - the colors are just colored pencil. I might still have the black & white somewhere around; I'm going to see if I can find it.

Here's my Skeletor:

Man-at-Arms:

and Beast-Man:

I have a couple more to follow. Thanks!
    Last edited by j-bird; July 18, 2014 at 07:38pm. Reason: updated with recent posts

Here are a couple more:

Teela:

Evil-Lyn:

Stratos:

Mer-Man (was partially colored, so I just reduced the color saturation):
    Last edited by j-bird; January 19, 2008 at 07:47pm.

The last bunch from what I'd done:

The Sorceress of Grayskull (I always like to hear that full title):

Trap-Jaw and Tri-Klops:

I used the same stance and scale to give them a feeling of same-ness, kind of like the old figure line had.

Again, thanks in advance for any feedback.
    Last edited by j-bird; January 19, 2008 at 07:49pm.

Very nice! I like them alot!
    He weeps, for he has but one small tongue, with which to taste an entire world!

Lots of original custom t-shirts and stickers available @ http://www.redbubble.com/people/mightyrain
    Many designs based on Masters of the Universe, Classic video games and random movies/cartoons/movies we all know and love.

Sweet Style, j-bird & great pics!
    My DA Page

www.TheBeastLegion.com is officially online. You can read the Manga in it's entirity there! Hope you give it a try enjoy it.

Beast Legion FaceBook Page ...Join me & help spread the word!!

I love them!
    They’re familiar, but different! Nice work!

Great pics j-bird
    http://galvatronartstuff.blogspot.com/

Check My Fan Characters
    -------------------------------------------
    Press here to see Houndor
    Press here to see Aetheron

Evil Master of Meejitz super-munkyboy's Avatar
    Very impressive dude, liking the weight of the lines.

Ever tried computer colouring them?
    JITSU!!!! Thank the Elder Gods!!!!

DeviantART - http://super-munkyboy.deviantart.com

Commissions - [TBA]

Keeper of secrets beyond the legends's Avatar
    OK, here is a lil manip I did on your He-Man and aded color to She-Ra. Hope it's OK that I post it in here. Let me know what you think.

So excited to see what you did with her too. They look so awsome together to me.

Hugs
    Look for my designs on Deviant art. I am under Octobersdream. Will do commissions of anything, original to recreating any older line. Also needing POP stuff and some MoTU things aswell.

I really like your style. It is close enough to oldschool but just different enough to keep it new and "yours"...Awesome!

Heroic Warrior
    Great stuff! thumbs up from me.

You should draw Hordak next since he's the most badass villain in teh MOTU galaxy.

Quote Originally Posted by beyond the legends View Post
    OK, here is a lil manip I did on your He-Man and aded color to She-Ra. Hope it's OK that I post it in here. Let me know what you think.

So excited to see what you did with her too. They look so awsome together to me.

Hugs
    I LOVE that you added your color scheme and posted them together - Terrific!!! Thanks!

My Light Spinner redesign is up in that contest thread, so if anyone wants to take a look, she's there. I also did a version of Kactura by Super Munkyboy - she's posted in that thread if you want to take a look.

So I added a more "classic" color-scheme to my drawing of Beyond the Legends' She-ra. The colored-pencil isn't translating very well once scanned, and I'm not sure I like what I did with the sword, but here it is.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by j-bird; December 27, 2007 at 01:05am.

j-bird: welcome to the org! your drawings are really solid, and i love your anime-like style... the characters' faces remind me of final fantasy tactics. awesome work man, can't wait to see more!
    Visit my sketchblog at its new URL: JASONBOT.com!

Quote Originally Posted by bootleg View Post
    j-bird: welcome to the org! your drawings are really solid, and i love your anime-like style... the characters' faces remind me of final fantasy tactics. awesome work man, can't wait to see more!
    Thanks man - as I've said before, it's always great to hear compliments from other artists you admire.

I finally completed my classic MotU series on DVD, so I've been watching it (of course). It strikes me that the classic MotU had a LOT of "bug-people" on it. We had the generic Insect People, the Bee People (now known as the Andreenids), the Tycons, and the Polti.

Here are a couple sketches of my redesigns of the Polti from MU118:

First, something close to what they looked like in the old cartoon:

The generic Polti warrior:

What seems to be the Polti mount of choice (I think we saw them riding some full-grown ones in the episode):

And the Polti Queen:

I'm going to try and add some color (and maybe tweak the design) on the Polti Queen. She's got a little Queen Andreeno going on, but the color should minimize that, I'm hoping. She's kind of, well, large, in the cartoon, but I wanted something different, so that's what I did. (She's holding the Amber Crystal of Such-and-such that was featured in that episode, even though He-Man destroyed it in the end.)

I borrowed pretty heavily from Buzz-Off and the Andreenids, but I figured that was both fitting and in keeping with the spirit of the classic show. I might see if I can come up with anything for the generic "Insect-People" and/or the Tycons, but I might not. One never knows.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by j-bird; December 28, 2007 at 08:30pm.

WoW, really nice.
    I love your redisgn.
    "I'm Winston Wolfe. I solve problems."

[-TRADER REVIEW DB-] Strat0s (written with null)

Here's my Sorceress Teela colored.
    Last edited by j-bird; January 19, 2008 at 07:36pm.

Great looking drawings, I like the She-Ra the best.
    Mike Jr. 1983-2008 the void left will never be filled. Rest in Peace Brother.
    Sgt Weigand

eBay Feedback

" Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elswhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
    --Calvin and Hobbes

Movie mayhem!
    Have you done hordak? I can't remember?

I love the little pictures that did grace

Quote Originally Posted by gatchagrey
    i dont know.. just when i look at the second one i like the eyes the hair and the little facial hair better...the first one just really does not work for me... i like the costume and everything and i think if the second head was on the first body i may even like the first design more...
    Ok cool - thanks for the input!

Quote Originally Posted by adora74 View Post
    I love the little pictures that did grace
    That did grace what? I'm really sorry, I'm not quite sure what you mean ...

On another topic - I had gotten some feedback from Predabot (and from a couple of others in some different places) that perhaps my backgrounds shouldn't take their colors from the images ... makes sense, right?

So, I'm trying out a new background:

I used some cooler tones in the blues and grays to contrast a little more with the figure. Good?

I like that you have used colored pencils (remember those kids?) nice work!

Ah, great piece! Your rendition of the MOTUverse has a life of his own.
    Danbrenus
    uomo libero e guerriero delle schiere Boiche

http://danbrenus.deviantart.com/
    My pre-Filmation minicomics:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=184385
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189337
    Of course I do commission, after all I have to live!
    Chiaramente accetto commissioni, dovrò pur campare...

Quote Originally Posted by Niki View Post
    Welcome back! It´s great to see new art from you!

I like long haired He-Man and Battle Armor Randor looks great so far, the reds are great for him and that helmet had been a great addition, i´m glad you added it!

I like your backgrounds. White is nice for sketches and makes it simple but with your trademark mark ground the picture seems more finished and completed.
    But that´s just my personal opinion of course!

Now i´m totally looking forward seeing new great stuff from you!
    Thanks Niki; I plan on sticking with the old standard background for finished pieces - that seems to be the general consensus and I agree with it. The Randor piece is more of a work-in-progress, so I didn't put in on a backdrop yet.

Quote Originally Posted by HordeMonkey View Post
    Regarding Randor: How about giving him his 200X knee brace? Just a thought.
    I hadn't considered the knee brace for this version, but now I'm thinking about it.

I did update his color scheme; it's sort of a variation on his Filmation colors, but instead of pure red, orange, and blue I went with a red-violet, red-orange, and blue-violet. It also plays into something I'm working on in terms of a larger-scale color scheme, but more on that (hopefully) later. I'm still not sure if this is the way I'm going to go, but it will do for now.

Attachment 88695

In the meantime, here's an updated version of Teela.

I stayed pretty classic with her, but added the emeralds and long hair from 200x. Somebody (and I can't remember who) did a great custom using Catra's ponytail and some of the 200x figure elements, and that has sort of become the version of Teela that lives in my head. She's kind of a grown-up version of 200x's adolescent Teela.

I'm thinking of darkening her hair a little bit and perhaps changing up her boot color a little, but I don't know if that will happen. As always, let me know what you think.

EDIT:

Here is my latest take on Queen Marlena (to go with King Randor), also in her "battle armor." The design is pretty much 200x except for the boots (I went more classic there), but the colors are basically Filmation. I love the 200x designs used on Marlena, but I will always be partial to the Filmation colors, so the solution for me was simple: hybrid. I tried for a chain-mail effect with color, but I think it's too subtle; you can barely see it.

I'm not sure if this affects anyone's opinion as far as which way I should go with Randor, but I figured I'd post her and see what happens.

Hope y'all enjoy!

EDIT2:

And my most recent version of Prince Adam ... sort of.

In my personal canon, everyone knows He-Man and Adam are the same guy. No hiding, no secret identity, hence the "Eternos Palace" variant name.

The little side pony-tails are an homage to both King Grayskull and Prince Adam from the New Adventures of He-Man cartoon, and the looser sleeves and the sash are also my nods to NA Adam.

Anyway, that rounds out the royal family for now ... I'm going to try something new with Adora at some point too, but I'm not quite sure which direction I want to go with her.

Heroic Eternian Mechanic TechTrek's Avatar
    wonderful palace king adam concept. I really like this.

Quote Originally Posted by j-bird View Post
    Thanks Niki; I plan on sticking with the old standard background for finished pieces - that seems to be the general consensus and I agree with it. The Randor piece is more of a work-in-progress, so I didn't put in on a backdrop yet.

I hadn't considered the knee brace for this version, but now I'm thinking about it.

I did update his color scheme; it's sort of a variation on his Filmation colors, but instead of pure red, orange, and blue I went with a red-violet, red-orange, and blue-violet. It also plays into something I'm working on in terms of a larger-scale color scheme, but more on that (hopefully) later. I'm still not sure if this is the way I'm going to go, but it will do for now.

Attachment 88695
    http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs71/i/20...10-d6n2ulu.jpg
    EDIT:
    http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/i/20...10-d6o1tm1.jpg
    EDIT2:
    http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/i/20...10-d6p6qzf.jpg

Hey j-bird whats up man its been a freaking long time(4-5 years) i decide to break my silence to say to you that your skills never stop to amaze me. You always put fitting updates to old stuff, upgrading it to a whole new lvl.
    Now iam back to my grave again
    Last edited by Galvatron; October 19, 2013 at 03:06am.
    http://galvatronartstuff.blogspot.com/

Check My Fan Characters
    -------------------------------------------
    Press here to see Houndor
    Press here to see Aetheron