Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: MotU by j-bird

sorry i havent posted in a bit her J-Bird

but i have to say your designs and art have really improved in last few months...and its not just the new front views either...

i would love to seem some orginal characters form you...
    http://bugshido.deviantart.com/

Be apart of the "Gatchgrey and Royal-T present: the Bug-Shido Staction Character Contest"
    details here http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=176988

Thanks again guys for all the positive response - it's really motivational!

As far as original characters, I've got a couple of ideas, but nothing concrete yet. We'll see if anything ever comes of them. They're both cold-based characters ... one would be a heroic Kulatak called Coldsnap, and the other would be an evil snakeman warrior called Frostbite. The names aren't set in stone as far as which one goes with which character though ... I just thought those would be cool MOTU-ish names, and cool enough characters to go with 'em.

EDIT:
    Ok, so I was at work today ... ... and I came up with this, my first original fan-character :

She would be a Repton (Lizard-Man's race) healer. Since there really isn't any official/primary healer in the MotU universe, I figured they could use one.

If she were in a cartoon, she be introduced in an episode much like oICEMANo and gbagok's "Slave City." Someone would be injured during the opening fight with the Gargons, and Lizard-Man would grab the injured party (let's say Teela) and make off with her.

The heroes would think he was trying to kidnap her, and give chase. They would end up at Heala's cave, where she would revive Teela and translate for Lizard-Man (who wouldn't speak English/Human/Common/whatever at this point).

In the end, Heala would become the Chief Healer of the city of Targa.

Between this encounter and the treachery of Balina, we'd have a built-in moral for the end of the episode about judging things based on appearances.

She's named Heala as a play on both "healer" and gila monster (since "gila" is pronounced like "heel-a") and in keeping with the general tradition of cornball MotU names.

Her markings would be loosely based on a gila monster ... I would have to play around with them a little bit more, but I figured the primarily orange coloring would be more in keeping with the general feel of MotU.

Her clothing would have more variation in color/shade too, but this is primarily a conceptual/design sketch rather than a finished product. If I finish her out, I'd go back and look at gbagok's art for that story and try and incorporate some more Targan costume elements. That's also why her markings are kind of Kirby-esque, since there seem to be plenty of those (which I support whole-heartedly).

Anyway, lemme know what you think!

(note: i deleted my Stratos i had posted ... after review i'm just not happy with him)

Movie mayhem!
    I REeeeeally like Heala! The other characters you mentioned sound like fun too!

"Women and cats will do as they please ...

and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."

That's certainly been the case with Catra, but I've finally gotten a version I'm happy with!

I took some inspiration from Baena's design, threw in a little Filmation and a little Mattel, stirred it all together and got this!

And now, a la bootleg, some biographical info:

Catra was once an Etherian noble who ruled over a small domain in the mountains near Mystacore. After the Horde arrived on her world, she offered her services to the Horde, hoping to save her power and her people.

Impressed by her ferocity and her skill in hand-to-hand combat, Hordak accepted her allegiance (such as a cat ever gives). Eventually, she came to inherit the magical accoutrements of the Queen of the Magicats (lame name), which increase her strength, speed, and agility, as well as giving her the ability to assume a feline form.

As the foremost expert on unarmed combat, it was Catra who was given Adora's training when she came of age. The two came to regard each other as something like sisters, a friendly rivalry marking their rapid ascent through the ranks of the Horde.

After Adora's perceived betrayal, they are now the bitterest of foes.

Armed with her magical feline abilities, innate ferocity, and miniaturized pistol-sized Horde bowcaster, Catra stalks Etheria in the hopes of bringing down her former pupil and most hated enemy.

(to me, all the "main" villains like Grizzlor, Leech, Mantenna, etc are Force Captains / Generals in Hordak's army)

I kind of think of Catra as the Cheetah to She-Ra's Wonder Woman, more of a threat physically than she was really portrayed in the cartoon. That's why I had to give her a better tagline than "jealous beauty."

I also think of her feline form as being smaller like in the mini-comics (if it was big, why would she need Clawdeen?).

@ Patreek: Thanks - I thought Heala was kind of fun, so I had to throw her up there!
    Last edited by j-bird; November 6, 2009 at 09:00pm.

Dude... i saw catra on DA...how the heck did i miss HEALA...

how cool is she..

awesome idea... don't think i have seen a lizard person fan character before...
    love the staff idea too...

Be apart of the "Gatchgrey and Royal-T present: the Bug-Shido Staction Character Contest"

Great artwookI dig your style...keep it up

Quote Originally Posted by gatchagrey View Post
    Dude... i saw catra on DA...how the heck did i miss HEALA...

how cool is she..

awesome idea... don't think i have seen a lizard person fan character before...
    love the staff idea too...
    Thanks (you probably missed her on DA because she's in my Scrapbook over there)!

Quote Originally Posted by Overhaul View Post
    Great artwookI dig your style...keep it up
    Thanks!

And for those who prefer their Catra a little closer to the Filmation style, here she is with a red mask:
    Last edited by j-bird; November 6, 2009 at 09:13pm.

yeah i just like the whole cat mask thing...its sexy...

not that the first one was bad...

I'm starting to like the one with the mask better myself ... go figure.

Anyway, since I read the MotUC bio for Zodac, I've been thinking over the concept of the Overlords of Trolla ... here's what I've come up with:

"Guardians of Oa" version, but it does incorporate some Cosmic Enforcer elements:

Fun version:

In this version, the idea is that there's not only a Crimson Council, but five other councils as well. The most powerful member of each council is that council's representative to the Overlords of Trolla. Each council represents a particular type of magical study (war magic, pure sorcery, healing, illusion, etc).

Oh, and that's totally Montork in the red.

My overall idea is that Trolla is a land/kingdom in the dimension of Infinita. (The Gar originated there and some of them settled on Eternia in ages past.) The magical energy of Trolla is refined and orderly, virtually tame, kept so by the Crimson Council.

Their society is very rigidly structured based on level of magical power and area of magical study.

There are some loose tribes of "rogue" Trollans who believe that the Trollans are weakened by their tame magic, and do their best to disrupt the energy patterns established by the Crimson Council. These wild mages are skilled at handling rogue energies and would function perfectly well on Eternia (possible storyline about the wild mages coming to the rescue).

By contrast, the magical energy of Eternia is wild and barbaric. This is why it is so difficult for Trollan mages to operate on Eternia. The use of a focus-object (such as a wand, staff, amulet, etc.) is what helps magic users on Eternia to more readily wield that energy.

Anyway, this is kind of my idea on Trolla right now (trying to get a concept of Orko and co. that I like) ... not sure if it's my "official" personal version, but it's an idea anyway.

Let me know what you think!
    Last edited by j-bird; November 6, 2009 at 09:15pm.

Great ideas man!! Diggin the Cosmic Trollans!
    Heala is great as well!

You gonna tackle more fan characters?
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

Evil Master of Meejitz super-munkyboy's Avatar
    I definately prefer the fun version, makes me want to do a Trollan Overlords. Theres got to be one bad sed in there somewhere.
    JITSU!!!! Thank the Elder Gods!!!!

DeviantART - http://super-munkyboy.deviantart.com

Commissions - [TBA]

The babe with The Power Slackbot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by j-bird View Post
    Trollans are love.

I like this approach more than the other, because I prefer the idea of distinct individuals, each handling matters of their own specialty, to identical copies with nothing to show that they're different people. I had enough of cookiecutter Trollans from the original show! (Is red the only fabric dye they ever inventrd?)

By contrast, the magical energy of Eternia is wild and barbaric. This is why it is so difficult for Trollan mages to operate on Eternia. The use of a focus-object (such as a wand, staff, amulet, etc.) is what helps magic users on Eternia to more readily wield that energy.
    That's very close to the approach I've been using in my series. I had to find some way to explain why "Orko the Great" was always screwing up on Eternia:

It was as he had suspected. The magic here was as choppy as the surface of a stormy sea. It didn't actually fight being used, but it sure felt that way. It was hard to control the strength of the spell, the way the power here came in waves, with empty spaces in between. Lumpy magic indeed!

The difference is that the magic is tamed by the millions of creatures that use magic in their metabolism, slowing the flow. It's like a wind blowing through a forest - at ground level you'll just get gentle breezes. In deserts and other areas without trees, you often get sudden, dangerous winds scouring the surface.
    Castle Numbskull
    Masters of The Universe stuff you won't find anywhere else.
    Thank goodness.

Quote Originally Posted by oICEMANo View Post
    Great ideas man!! Diggin the Cosmic Trollans!
    Heala is great as well!

You gonna tackle more fan characters?
    Well, I do have one other fan-character of my own in mind, and there are a couple by other people that I've been meaning to try my hand at, but who knows what's coming next.

I guess the short answer is "yes, but I don't know when."

Quote Originally Posted by super-munkyboy View Post
    I definately prefer the fun version, makes me want to do a Trollan Overlords. Theres got to be one bad sed in there somewhere.
    I had actually sketched out some ideas of Azrog and Spydra (from the classic cartoon) as members of the Overlords of Trolla (since they seem like beings who could actually be overlords) who had turned traitor and are now being hunted by the various councils ... we'll see if I can get those redesigns done and posted sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by Slackbot View Post
    Trollans are love.

I like this approach more than the other, because I prefer the idea of distinct individuals, each handling matters of their own specialty, to identical copies with nothing to show that they're different people. I had enough of cookiecutter Trollans from the original show! (Is red the only fabric dye they ever inventrd?)

That's very close to the approach I've been using in my series. I had to find some way to explain why "Orko the Great" was always screwing up on Eternia:

It was as he had suspected. The magic here was as choppy as the surface of a stormy sea. It didn't actually fight being used, but it sure felt that way. It was hard to control the strength of the spell, the way the power here came in waves, with empty spaces in between. Lumpy magic indeed!

The difference is that the magic is tamed by the millions of creatures that use magic in their metabolism, slowing the flow. It's like a wind blowing through a forest - at ground level you'll just get gentle breezes. In deserts and other areas without trees, you often get sudden, dangerous winds scouring the surface.
    Thanks - I was wondering what you'd think, since the Trollans sort of seem to be your specialty. I totally agree with the preference of the "fun"/individual versions, so I'm glad you like 'em! I also dig the idea of the Trollans metabolizing the magic and thereby "taming" it there.

EDIT: I updated the pic above with a more detailed color-job.
    EDIT2: A third version of Catra, this time with her silver mask, lighter fur on her boots and gloves, and her original tagline.
    Last edited by j-bird; November 6, 2009 at 09:16pm.

Entrapta

I tried to make her look a little more formidable.

I never quite understood why she kept her hair in two braids when she could have let it free and had more "appendages" to fight with / use for more utilitarian tasks.

I did try it with some loose hair and the two braids, but it kind of seemed like too much ... I dunno.

I just noticed that I should have changed the color of her jewel for the "Horde-colors" version ... hmmm.

I'd also give her little "doomseeker" type things kind of like Tri-Klops', only in shiny gold (or a muted violet for the Horde version).
    Last edited by j-bird; November 6, 2009 at 09:18pm.

Movie mayhem!
    WHOA! OK I have a new favorite!! Entrapa looks AMAZING!!!

Evil Master of Meejitz super-munkyboy's Avatar
    I agree. The final Entrapta is my fav. The blades on her platts are AWESOME!!!
    JITSU!!!! Thank the Elder Gods!!!!

DeviantART - http://super-munkyboy.deviantart.com

Commissions - [TBA]

you are definatly hitting new strides my friend...
    loving the new designs...
    still want some more orginal characters from you ...
    and would love to see some new adventures redesigns too..

Quote Originally Posted by Patreek View Post
    WHOA! OK I have a new favorite!! Entrapta looks AMAZING!!!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by super-munkyboy View Post
    I agree. The final Entrapta is my fav. The blades on her platts are AWESOME!!!
    Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by gatchagrey View Post
    you are definatly hitting new strides my friend...
    loving the new designs...
    still want some more orginal characters from you ...
    and would love to see some new adventures redesigns too..
    Thank you too!

I'm glad folks seem to be enjoying my redesigns, so here are a couple more:

I originally sketched out redesigns for these two when I was thinking of including them in my Overlords of Trolla (see above), but then decided to have them be former members of their respective councils who turned traitor and tried to take over (or something) and are now hunted criminals. (In "my" world, they'd be Gar from Infinita.)

As far as original characters, I do have one more kind of in the works. New Adventures however ... well, I'm not ruling anything out, but they've never been my favorites. All I can do is pull a Mattel and say "wait and see."
    Last edited by j-bird; November 6, 2009 at 09:19pm.

Quote Originally Posted by j-bird View Post

I tried to make her look a little more formidable.

I never quite understood why she kept her hair in two braids when she could have let it free and had more "appendages" to fight with / use for more utilitarian tasks.

I did try it with some loose hair and the two braids, but it kind of seemed like too much ... I dunno.

I just noticed that I should have changed the color of her jewel for the "Horde-colors" version ... hmmm.

I'd also give her little "doomseeker" type things kind of like Tri-Klops', only in shiny gold (or a muted violet for the Horde version).
    These by far have to be my favorite out of the whole thread!

Quote Originally Posted by radrcks View Post
    These by far have to be my favorite out of the whole thread!
    Thanks radrcks! I had no idea people would respond to Entrapta quite like they have ... it's a nice surprise!

Here's a little sketchy-sketch of my Trollan "wild" mages:

I also started a thread here:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=169658
    to develop my personal MotU canon. It contains a slightly more detailed description of "my" version of Trolla / Infinita. I plan to explore other areas/eras of Eternia as I come up with ideas.

Let me know what you think (if that's your cup of tea)!
    Last edited by j-bird; November 6, 2009 at 09:20pm.

I really like youre version of the ''classic colors" Sorceress .
    Entrapta in purple is awesome. I also love the loose hair version. I love youre Trollans! That Catra is a deadlylooking feline. Heala is a great idea I'm loving her staff.
    From the very first of this thread they all look amazing. I really like youre use of color. I'd really like to see you tackle some battle scenes.
    Teela the Warrior Goddess is my homegirl.

Thanks artodron for all the kind words - the feedback is appreciated! (and PS: I love your signature!)

I'm afraid I don't have a battle scene for y'all right now, but I do have some new art. Well, actually, it's been done for a while and I'm not sure exactly why I hadn't posted it until now, but that's not really the point here, is it?

Man-at-Arms, classic style! I had actually done most of this before we saw the MotUC pics of M@A, but went back and did a little tweaking once we saw those.

Actually, in looking at him, he's a little bit hybrid style between classic and 200x, since the green is all that tech-armor ...

Anyway, enjoy!

J-bird! You are a god! And a telephat! Knowin' youre a MYP MOTU artist I'd never pushed you to do a classic just to make an old timer like me to enjoy it....
    .....Man-at-arms classic style is my favourite MOTU ever.....
    Thank'you pal!
    Danbrenus
    uomo libero e guerriero delle schiere Boiche

http://danbrenus.deviantart.com/
    My pre-Filmation minicomics:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=184385
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189337
    Of course I do commission, after all I have to live!
    Chiaramente accetto commissioni, dovr˛ pur campare...

Skeletors evil colorist Predabot's Avatar
    Man, those Catra and Entrapta designs rock! Especially awesome that you did Entrapta really, because she gets far too little love on these boards.

About her braided hair btw. I always figured if she braids them together ( or rather, the hair can do it on its own) it gives her a lot more pummeling-power when it's go-time. More strength to swing something like the blades you gave her, or big mace-like things, like gBagok gave her.

Different hair-styles for different purposes. So when she wants to do a lot of delicate work, she lets it out, and all of her hair-strains can individually flip micro-switches and stuff! Very useful when she's reprogramming the Horde central-computer in Zero-G.

And then she could have all sorts of combos in-between, like one where she's got several smaller blades, when she wants to fence somebody.

love azrog and spydra...
    one looks right out of the old cartoon and one out of the new one,,,very cool

entrapa is amazing

the wild trollens are very very cool... i could see them causeing ALOT of havok

and great version of MAA

-----------------------------

with all the art you are putting out lately i need to just wait to make one MASS ...otherwise ill be posting on your thread as much as you