Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Thread: MotU by j-bird

My take on Captain (King?) Miro.

I went with a take on his 200x look, but with some nods to MotUC sensibilities (using Man-at-Arms' shoulder armor, standard forearms, Man-E-Faces hands, etc.). I was really torn on whether to call him Captain Miro or King Miro, but since I went with the "captain" look ... with those wings on his helmet, though, he looks pretty regal.

Would "Battle-Armor Miro" be better, thereby avoiding questions of his title?

In addition, I have been toying with a "battle-armor" Randor, but I'm not sure it's exactly what I want ... I have been leaning toward the reds/oranges of Filmation and the current DC series, but I wanted to incorporate some of the bits that made the versions of 200x Randor so appealing. (You might have to click on the Randor picture to make it large enough to get anything from it ...)

Randor - Battle Armor - 091313.jpg

Let me know what you think.

Welcome back! Itīs great to see new art from you!

I like long haired He-Man and Battle Armor Randor looks great so far, the reds are great for him and that helmet had been a great addition, iīm glad you added it!

I like your backgrounds. White is nice for sketches and makes it simple but with your trademark mark ground the picture seems more finished and completed.
    But thatīs just my personal opinion of course!

Now iīm totally looking forward seeing new great stuff from you!
    *Peekablue *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Crita *Lizorr *Zilora *Granita *Delora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Queen Veena *Calix *Hawke *Pebblass(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither

Cambridge, New Zealand (formerly South Africa)
    Regarding Randor: How about giving him his 200X knee brace? Just a thought.
    Evil Simian Mechanic of the Horde!

Quote Originally Posted by Niki View Post
    Welcome back! Itīs great to see new art from you!

I like long haired He-Man and Battle Armor Randor looks great so far, the reds are great for him and that helmet had been a great addition, iīm glad you added it!

I like your backgrounds. White is nice for sketches and makes it simple but with your trademark mark ground the picture seems more finished and completed.
    But thatīs just my personal opinion of course!

Now iīm totally looking forward seeing new great stuff from you!
    Thanks Niki; I plan on sticking with the old standard background for finished pieces - that seems to be the general consensus and I agree with it. The Randor piece is more of a work-in-progress, so I didn't put in on a backdrop yet.

Quote Originally Posted by HordeMonkey View Post
    Regarding Randor: How about giving him his 200X knee brace? Just a thought.
    I hadn't considered the knee brace for this version, but now I'm thinking about it.

I did update his color scheme; it's sort of a variation on his Filmation colors, but instead of pure red, orange, and blue I went with a red-violet, red-orange, and blue-violet. It also plays into something I'm working on in terms of a larger-scale color scheme, but more on that (hopefully) later. I'm still not sure if this is the way I'm going to go, but it will do for now.

Attachment 88695

In the meantime, here's an updated version of Teela.

I stayed pretty classic with her, but added the emeralds and long hair from 200x. Somebody (and I can't remember who) did a great custom using Catra's ponytail and some of the 200x figure elements, and that has sort of become the version of Teela that lives in my head. She's kind of a grown-up version of 200x's adolescent Teela.

I'm thinking of darkening her hair a little bit and perhaps changing up her boot color a little, but I don't know if that will happen. As always, let me know what you think.

EDIT:

Here is my latest take on Queen Marlena (to go with King Randor), also in her "battle armor." The design is pretty much 200x except for the boots (I went more classic there), but the colors are basically Filmation. I love the 200x designs used on Marlena, but I will always be partial to the Filmation colors, so the solution for me was simple: hybrid. I tried for a chain-mail effect with color, but I think it's too subtle; you can barely see it.

I'm not sure if this affects anyone's opinion as far as which way I should go with Randor, but I figured I'd post her and see what happens.

Hope y'all enjoy!

EDIT2:

And my most recent version of Prince Adam ... sort of.

In my personal canon, everyone knows He-Man and Adam are the same guy. No hiding, no secret identity, hence the "Eternos Palace" variant name.

The little side pony-tails are an homage to both King Grayskull and Prince Adam from the New Adventures of He-Man cartoon, and the looser sleeves and the sash are also my nods to NA Adam.

Anyway, that rounds out the royal family for now ... I'm going to try something new with Adora at some point too, but I'm not quite sure which direction I want to go with her.

Heroic Eternian Mechanic TechTrek's Avatar
    wonderful palace king adam concept. I really like this.

I really like your long hair classic look Teela. The green highlights are very 200X i honestly never liked it but you made look good.

Battle Armor Queen Marlena in FILMATION colors no thatīs a nice twist. I like the 200X colors but your version is the perfect hybrid, very well done and thought through! The only thing i donīt like are the big ear rings, again that was very 200X and even i used them when i tried my version since itīs part of her design but even with your skills, i donīt like them and never will

Adam. First of all i like your canon, every one knows he is the hero, i love it. His hair and the sleeves are great iīm not sure about the ??scarf?? around his torso, itīs nice for breaking up the colors but i think he wouldīt need it but thatīs my humble opinion.

Looking forward to your Adora, i remember your old version and i recall i liked her!
    *Peekablue *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Crita *Lizorr *Zilora *Granita *Delora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Queen Veena *Calix *Hawke *Pebblass(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither

Teela is perfect! Good work J.
    Danbrenus
    uomo libero e guerriero delle schiere Boiche

http://danbrenus.deviantart.com/
    My pre-Filmation minicomics:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=184385
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189337
    Of course I do commission, after all I have to live!
    Chiaramente accetto commissioni, dovrō pur campare...

Quote Originally Posted by TechTrek View Post
    wonderful palace king adam concept. I really like this.
    Thank you; I was pretty pleased with how he turned out.

I really like your long hair classic look Teela. The green highlights are very 200X i honestly never liked it but you made look good.

Battle Armor Queen Marlena in FILMATION colors no thatīs a nice twist. I like the 200X colors but your version is the perfect hybrid, very well done and thought through! The only thing i donīt like are the big ear rings, again that was very 200X and even i used them when i tried my version since itīs part of her design but even with your skills, i donīt like them and never will

Adam. First of all i like your canon, every one knows he is the hero, i love it. His hair and the sleeves are great iīm not sure about the ??scarf?? around his torso, itīs nice for breaking up the colors but i think he wouldīt need it but thatīs my humble opinion.

Looking forward to your Adora, i remember your old version and i recall i liked her!
    I'm such a sucker for cool earrings/jewelry on a character, I don't know why. I can respect that you don't care for them though. Glad you like her otherwise!

I'm actually torn between a new "Eternos Palace" Adora (or perhaps some kind of Battle Armor Adora / She-Ra) and trying my hand at a Force Captain / Despara version ...

Quote Originally Posted by danbrenus View Post
    Teela is perfect! Good work J.
    Thanks danbrenus, glad you like her. I certainly wouldn't have called her "perfect," but I will definitely take the compliment.

I realized that I hadn't posted a full version of Battle Armor Randor yet, so I thought I should remedy that:

I was obviously inspired by 200x for the helmet and the armor ... and the cape ... but I struggled with the color scheme. In the end I went with something reminiscent of the current DC comic series (i.e. one main "body" color with gold-ish armor), but with a white cape and boot colors from 200x. I did want to skew the red toward orange, sort of a combo of the red and orange from Filmation.

I also liked the way this color scheme played off the the generations before and after him:

I have been thinking about my "canon" and the whole King Miro vs. Captain Miro thing, and I think I've come up with something that works for me.

geek gush: In my canon, the "kingdoms" of Eternia are actually powerful, fortified city-states that only control the cities themselves and a certain amount of territory immediately outside their walls / boundaries. This leaves plenty of room for unclaimed or wild territory, and the great distance between most of these city-states allows a high degree of autonomy as well as a limited sphere of influence (i.e. keeps Eternos from dictating that there could be no slavery in Targa or that men must be treated equally in Arcadia).

I am thinking that perhaps Miro was king of Dyperia (or whatever the kingdom Randor's brother King Stefen ruled in the Filmation series was called). Stefen would have been the older brother and set to inherit the Dyperian throne, so Randor enlisted in the army of Eternos*. That way we can still have King Miro but Randor can still be declared king by the Council of Eldors in the aftermath of Keldor's attack on the Hall of Wisdom (which may or may not also be the Central Tower in this canon).

*This would have been something common among the second (or third, fourth, etc.) sons of the nobles and rulers of nearby city-states as it was considered an honor to serve under the Council of Elders (who ruled the city of Eternos instead of the usual king or queen). To be accepted into the army of Eternos would mean not only that you are a formidable fighter, but that you are truly noble in spirit and don't necessarily reach for your sword first in order to settle a conflict. Eternos would be among the most powerful of the Eternian city-states in terms of both area controlled and sphere of influence, based largely on a reputation for wisdom / enlightenment and vast arcane knowledge (including the technology of the "lost sciences").

I am leaning toward the Hall of Wisdom actually being the Central Tower, thus lending more prestige to Eternos and its reputation for enlightenment. There would be no Grayskull Tower or Viper Tower (or whatever they were called); instead we would just have Castle Grayskull and Snake Mountain. I don't have as much background as I'd like, though, on some of the lore around the three towers, so that idea isn't set in stone for me.

Anyway, let me know what y'all think.
    Last edited by j-bird; October 7, 2013 at 09:02pm.

Heroic Eternian Mechanic TechTrek's Avatar
    i think i really like your ideas for it. and it would make sense. wonderful thoughts on the topic of the towers!

A Despara redesign from you sounds great. I have fe hopes and thoughts but iīll keep them unsaid for now since i want to be surprised with what you come up for her!

Your latest Randor looks great, as i am a huge fan of this helmet but the color scheme is to "Santa Claus" in armor for my taste but i love the white cape!

Ok, I haven't given up on Adora yet, I just haven't figured out where I want to go with her. I have been playing around with some new ideas (for me anyway) for She-Ra:

I wanted to a) make her look more warlike, b) try and have her fit better into MotU visually, and c) still incorporate some visual elements from her vintage figure design.

As I was trying to figure out how to make her look more like He-Man and an heir to the power of King Grayskull, it hit me: what if she's not an heir to Grayskull's power? What if instead she's the latest heir to the power of He-Ro?

King Grayskull led the free people of Eternia from the fortress after which he was named, charging into battle against the forces of Hordak and King Hsss. He was aided by his wife, the sorceress Veena, and his brother, the warrior-wizard known as He-Ro.

While Grayskull remained close to home guiding the free clans in the defense of the Castle, He-Ro traveled Preternia recruiting allies to oppose the Horde and the Snake Men. In battle he could be seen whirling his weapon, transforming it from staff to sword to shield, as needed.

I'd been trying for some time to reconcile where He-Ro fit in the timeline of my personal canon, since I didn't want to get rid of either him or King Grayskull, and this works for me, keeping them in the same era as siblings (possibly twins, but I think I see Grayskull as being a few years older). The "free clans" would be like the Snake Clan under Zilora, while the allies recruited by He-Ro would largely be the heroic characters from the CotU adaptations of the Galaxy Fighters / Galaxy Warriors (Sun Hawk, Daton, Magnon, etc).

This seemed to me to be a nice parallel to the "modern" age of Eternia, where He-Man and She-Ra are the sibling champions of good. It also dovetails nicely with their respective roles (He-Man stays "home" (Eternia) while She-Ra goes abroad (Etheria)) in relation to their ancestors.

In terms of my visual goals, I tried to make her more warlike by adding armor plating to her bodice (the lighter lines make it harder to see but I felt like it looked too cluttered leaving the lines black) and gave her an adaptation of MotUC He-Ro's gauntlets (and tweaked her boots to be more similar). I made the "wings" on the bodice white and incorporated the segmented armor lines to try and evoke the vintage toy.

I also tried to make her skirt more like He-Ro's "kilt" thing, which has a sort of layered leather armor look to it. I did, however, make the lower layer semi-transparent as a nod to the skirt on the vintage toy.

The fur on her cape looks barbaric, is reminiscent of King Grayskull, and replaces the white ruffled collar from the vintage toy ... I had tried a couple of different ways to incorporate a collar, but I felt like the fur was better tied into the overall MotU aesthetic.

I'd give her the gold Sword of Protection (instead of silver) to keep it tied in to He-Ro's staff.

I did keep the basic Filmation "symbol" thing on her bodice / stomach, and went with a more Filmation-sized tiara ... overall she doesn't look that different from your "regular" She-Ra, just a few minor details tweaked to (hopefully) enhance her look.

Anyway, that's a lot of words where the picture is probably pretty self-explanatory. Hope y'all enjoy!

EDIT:

I also did a version with an attempt at a more "shimmery" cape like the toy had and put it on a backdrop more reminiscent of the vintage toyline ... (hopefully).

Last edited by j-bird; October 11, 2013 at 02:44pm.

If i know something, itīs the fact that i can totally wait for your perfect Adora. Donīt rush!

NOW your She-Ra, i totally love her dramatic 80īties hair and all those little lines and details. Amazing. Plus the fur again very 80īties and of course i like the glittery even more, fits the…yes again…80īties feeling i get from her.

And just to make it more clear, i am a Dynasty fan and iīm not embarrassed to admit that. Maybe i should be but iīm simply not and your She-Ra looks great!

Quote Originally Posted by j-bird View Post
    Thanks Niki; I plan on sticking with the old standard background for finished pieces - that seems to be the general consensus and I agree with it. The Randor piece is more of a work-in-progress, so I didn't put in on a backdrop yet.

I hadn't considered the knee brace for this version, but now I'm thinking about it.

I did update his color scheme; it's sort of a variation on his Filmation colors, but instead of pure red, orange, and blue I went with a red-violet, red-orange, and blue-violet. It also plays into something I'm working on in terms of a larger-scale color scheme, but more on that (hopefully) later. I'm still not sure if this is the way I'm going to go, but it will do for now.

Attachment 88695
    http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs71/i/20...10-d6n2ulu.jpg
    EDIT:
    http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/i/20...10-d6o1tm1.jpg
    EDIT2:
    http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/i/20...10-d6p6qzf.jpg

Hey j-bird whats up man its been a freaking long time(4-5 years) i decide to break my silence to say to you that your skills never stop to amaze me. You always put fitting updates to old stuff, upgrading it to a whole new lvl.
    Now iam back to my grave again
    Last edited by Galvatron; October 19, 2013 at 03:06am.
    http://galvatronartstuff.blogspot.com/

Check My Fan Characters
    -------------------------------------------
    Press here to see Houndor
    Press here to see Aetheron

If i know something, itīs the fact that i can totally wait for your perfect Adora. Donīt rush!

NOW your She-Ra, i totally love her dramatic 80īties hair and all those little lines and details. Amazing. Plus the fur again very 80īties and of course i like the glittery even more, fits the…yes again…80īties feeling i get from her.

And just to make it more clear, i am a Dynasty fan and iīm not embarrassed to admit that. Maybe i should be but iīm simply not and your She-Ra looks great!
    Thanks! I had a lot of fun with her, so I'm glad someone enjoys her.

Quote Originally Posted by Galvatron View Post
    Hey j-bird whats up man its been a freaking long time(4-5 years) i decide to break my silence to say to you that your skills never stop to amaze me. You always put fitting updates to old stuff, upgrading it to a whole new lvl.
    Now iam back to my grave again
    Wow, it has been a long time; I'm flattered that my art could rouse you from your slumber. Seriously, though, thank you - that's a huge compliment.

Here's my latest:

My version of (Queen) Veena, the wife of King Grayskull and the first Sorceress of Castle Grayskull.

I tweaked a couple of things on her design: her bodice is more like that of the 200x version of the Sorceress, and her loincloth is a feminine adaptation of (MotU:C) Carnivus'. Her greaves and wristbands are both adapted from Draego-Man (well, the greaves are also the same as He-Ro and Carnivus). It was actually the He-Ro greaves that inspired me to use the loincloth and wristbands - I wanted to bring in more of that kind of scaly texture that's on the turquoise parts (although I'm finding it doesn't read as well here as I'd like). It also fits in with my recent She-Ra redesign (where I used feminized versions of He-Ro's bracers and a variation on his boots), thus tying She-Ra visually to both her "ultimate" grandmother and great-uncle.

I'm toying with using those elements as a common visual element among Preternian magic-users (and some more recent as well).

I briefly considered going with the orange and blue color scheme of the Filmation Sorceress, but I enjoy the gold and turquoise combo and felt it differentiated Veena from Teela'Na. I also liked the way it tied in to Captain/King Miro's color scheme; he is as much her descendant as is He-Man (and Randor for that matter). Not that I would make him a sorcerer or anything, but visually I like the commonality.

Oddly, when I consider how many minor elements were tweaked, she still seems pretty true to the original 200x/MYP design (at least I think she does).

As always, let me know what you think.

Thanks! I had a lot of fun with her, so I'm glad someone enjoys her.
    If you ask me, i think a lot of people enjoy your work but lately it seems people stopped commenting and i mean in general, people like to look at all the pictures in this whole forum but less and less comments are given.

I for myself just like to comment and interact but thatīs me

Wow, it has been a long time; I'm flattered that my art could rouse you from your slumber. Seriously, though, thank you - that's a huge compliment.

Here's my latest:

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs70/i/20...10-d6rgufb.jpg

My version of (Queen) Veena, the wife of King Grayskull and the first Sorceress of Castle Grayskull.

I tweaked a couple of things on her design: her bodice is more like that of the 200x version of the Sorceress, and her loincloth is a feminine adaptation of (MotU:C) Carnivus'. Her greaves and wristbands are both adapted from Draego-Man (well, the greaves are also the same as He-Ro and Carnivus). It was actually the He-Ro greaves that inspired me to use the loincloth and wristbands - I wanted to bring in more of that kind of scaly texture that's on the turquoise parts (although I'm finding it doesn't read as well here as I'd like). It also fits in with my recent She-Ra redesign (where I used feminized versions of He-Ro's bracers and a variation on his boots), thus tying She-Ra visually to both her "ultimate" grandmother and great-uncle.

I'm toying with using those elements as a common visual element among Preternian magic-users (and some more recent as well).

I briefly considered going with the orange and blue color scheme of the Filmation Sorceress, but I enjoy the gold and turquoise combo and felt it differentiated Veena from Teela'Na. I also liked the way it tied in to Captain/King Miro's color scheme; he is as much her descendant as is He-Man (and Randor for that matter). Not that I would make him a sorcerer or anything, but visually I like the commonality.

Oddly, when I consider how many minor elements were tweaked, she still seems pretty true to the original 200x/MYP design (at least I think she does).

As always, let me know what you think.
    Veena is a great character and you made her look fabulous.

Her top is a nice design and i like the belt with the furry pants. The mini comic artist in which she appeared gave her a skirt which looked like feathers i liked that idea but yours is just very MOTU. Simple but very effective.

You have so many amazing ideas. For me itīs so inspiring to look at your pictures and all your details and ideas!

If you ask me, i think a lot of people enjoy your work but lately it seems people stopped commenting and i mean in general, people like to look at all the pictures in this whole forum but less and less comments are given.

I for myself just like to comment and interact but thatīs me

Veena is a great character and you made her look fabulous.

Her top is a nice design and i like the belt with the furry pants. The mini comic artist in which she appeared gave her a skirt which looked like feathers i liked that idea but yours is just very MOTU. Simple but very effective.

You have so many amazing ideas. For me itīs so inspiring to look at your pictures and all your details and ideas!
    I appreciate your comments / critiques, so please keep 'em coming.

I apparently can't draw She-Ra without then wanting to draw all the PoP gals ... so, here's my latest take on Queen Angella:

My previous version of Angella was more 200x, heavily inspired by Baena's redesign. This time, I wanted to steer more back toward the vintage toy version and, like I did with She-Ra, try and incorporate some of those elements but steer more toward a MotU vibe. I did keep some of the elements from the last version though, since they fit well with what I wanted to do.

There are still a lot of Baena-inspired elements in my design because, frankly, I love his version of her. I kept the armored-up bodice, which goes a long way (for me) towards making the PoP gals fit in better with their MotU counterparts. I also stuck with the slightly darker, more saturated color scheme since pastels don't scream "warrior" to most of us.

On a side note, all those pastels the vintage PoP gals wore would have been moderately effective camouflage based on the Filmation version of the Whispering Woods ... just an observation.

I "re-used" the wristbands I gave Veena, since I wanted to use that texture on my PoP gals as a replacement for the shiny holofoil stickers on the skirts, shoulder pads, etc. of the vintage figures (it's there on Angella's belt). I also used that texture on her bodice "symbol" thing and on the tops of her boots, where I went a little more vintage mini-comic on her. I figure it still fits with the whole magic-user theme I was trying to establish, since pretty much all the PoP gals had one power or another.

I kept the basic shape of the vintage figure's skirt, but moved the longer part to the back, where it's more reminiscent of 200x Evil-Lyn. I imagine it flares out almost like a bird's tail when she takes flight. I have a little doodle of it or two around here somewhere ... I might see if I can get one of those scanned and posted, but no promises.

I did the little jewels on her forehead in place of a crown; the woman's got a halo, so I figure she doesn't really need a full-on crown to show she's got power. I used the crescent moon / orb motif that pops up every now and then (my understanding is that it appeared on the vintage Eternia playset as well as in the 200x comic series) for her halo design and for her earrings, since it can easily represent phases of the moon (sliver to full).

I picture her wielding a pure white staff topped by that same moon-and-orb, but on her staff the orb is a ball of pure light. She would have the ability to shift the weapon from a staff into a sword, the moon becoming the quillions and the orb elongated into a blade of pure light (the staff handle would obviously shrink to hilt-sized).

I imagine Angella as being more powerful than anyone on Etheria truly realized until the Horde came to Etheria. While Adora was still a Force Captain, Angella was the literal and figurative leader of the Etherian forces. Eventually, she slew Hordak's original body in single combat (taking a page from the current DC series, where Hordak's original body is dead and he inhabits a variety of techno-organic host bodies ... though in "my" canon the host bodies look pretty much just like his regular one, with various modifications such as Hurricane Hordak, etc.), gaining a respite for those opposing the Horde invasion.

Anyway, I guess Niki was right, I do have a lot of ideas on some of these characters. Lots of writing, but hopefully the picture also speaks for itself.

EDIT:

I also did a version with more toy-based colors.

EDIT2:
    Here are those little doodle-y action-sketches of Angella I mentioned ... I was just playing with trying to see how the skirt could work and what I imagine the sword-version of her weapon to look like ... it's also helpful to me if I'm feeling hesitant on a design to try and do some rough (real rough) action poses to see if it feels natural or not. (I attached it rather than posting it somewhere and linking to it, so you'll have to click on it to be able to see it.)

I'll let you guys be the judges.
    Angella - action sketches.jpg
    Last edited by j-bird; October 25, 2013 at 11:29pm.

You Know, Niki has a point. i don't pop in here to comment as often as I click to look at your work brother. I have always admired your work, and I still do. It has been depressing seeing less and less of the big names on this site disappear because of lack of feedback...you, Bearshow, Sha, oIcemano, Gbagok, Twobad, Buffalobillman, and myself included.

Keep it up brother. I love your work!

I will too.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyre View Post
    You Know, Niki has a point. i don't pop in here to comment as often as I click to look at your work brother. I have always admired your work, and I still do. It has been depressing seeing less and less of the big names on this site disappear because of lack of feedback...you, Bearshow, Sha, oIcemano, Gbagok, Twobad, Buffalobillman, and myself included.

Keep it up brother. I love your work!

I will too.
    You and Niki are both right, I think, in terms of a general lack of discussion on the fan-art forum lately (as well as a lack of art from some of the "big names" lately).

A lack of feedback can be disheartening, so I've been trying to be more active in my own comments lately - it's so easy to just pop in and take a look at what's new without taking the time to voice one's appreciation, and I know I'm as guilty of it as anyone else. I've also been trying to be more active in terms of drawing / posting art. Life sometimes interferes with my art time, but I try and do what I can.

Speaking of drawing, I did go back and post a little sketchy doodle-thing in my previous post, trying to give a better idea of how I see her in action.

And thanks, Pyre, for commenting. I believe it's important for us all to support each other as artists and fans and help keep each other coming back.

Right on brother! you have been here much longer than me, so to me, you are an idol =)

Iīm not always right but in your case i am, you have imagination for four!!!

I love your camouflage idea! Itīs their planet which has those colors and with their outfits they simply hide themselves on earth they would point out not on Etheria. Smart thinking!!!!

Your Angella looks amazing. I love that you kept her as a brunette and that you sticked to some of the toy details.

Your skirt is a perfect solution, they toy culottes are made of a nice fabric but the design is horrible. Yours make sense is pratical but still royal in a way.
    One of my favorite versions for Angella is her mini comic appearance so iīm glad you worked that in as well!

I get they darker version and i like it but in the end i like your toy color version more but of course thatīs just my taste

Master of Mix & Match Charlie Brown's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyre View Post
    i don't pop in here to comment as often as I click to look at your work brother. I have always admired your work, and I still do.
    well, more or less it's the same for me: i'm a great fan of your style, and i really appreciate the design choices, as the female loinclothes looking
    more like he-ro's kilt than skirts or bodices, for instance.

i also like the idea of using the COTU characters (well, in general i love the idea of having all the knock-offs/bootlegs characters merged in the MOTU continuity).

keep on the great work!

This would have to be my favorite redesign of She-Ra, bar none.

Thanks for all the kind words - they are truly appreciated.

Things have gotten a little hectic lately, but I'm still trying to make sure I find some time here and there to get some art done.

Here is my most recent take on Castaspella:

As with my previous version, I was inspired by some elements from beyond the legends' redesign, but this time I simplified a little bit and, again, skewed a little more vintage-toy-based. I have always favored the monochromatic color scheme of the toy as opposed to the blue-and-yellow of Filmation.

I went with the idea that her "disc" is a magical construct that she can use for different effects (shield, teleportal, scrying "screen," et cetera). Once upon a time, forum member bootleg drew this:

Manticore (now of Mystacore) - Fan.jpg

and as soon as I saw it, I thought "Castaspella needs one of those." Then I thought "No, she needs two of those." I see her having a pair of these creatures (or versions of these creatures) as guardians / companions / status symbols of some sort. They don't go with her all the time, but they are always with her in her throne room and she can probably summon them at need.

Anyway, that's what I got. Hope you enjoy!

Cambridge, New Zealand (formerly South Africa)
    Gotta say I'm loving the stuff you're putting out lately, dude. Seems like a fusion of so many different styles into one cohesive design with a lot of them. Top work!

Apologies for lurking more than I actually comment! You go to the trouble to post all of this for us to see and then we don't say anything about it. I'll try to leave you more feedback in future, man.
    Evil Simian Mechanic of the Horde!

Master of Mix & Match Charlie Brown's Avatar
    the idea of the magical construct is quite interesting.

usually the manticore is depicted as a vicious creature: it's an intriguing choice to put it in service of good.