Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: MotU by j-bird

Quote Originally Posted by bootleg View Post
    j-bird: welcome to the org! your drawings are really solid, and i love your anime-like style... the characters' faces remind me of final fantasy tactics. awesome work man, can't wait to see more!
    Thanks man - as I've said before, it's always great to hear compliments from other artists you admire.

I finally completed my classic MotU series on DVD, so I've been watching it (of course). It strikes me that the classic MotU had a LOT of "bug-people" on it. We had the generic Insect People, the Bee People (now known as the Andreenids), the Tycons, and the Polti.

Here are a couple sketches of my redesigns of the Polti from MU118:

First, something close to what they looked like in the old cartoon:

The generic Polti warrior:

What seems to be the Polti mount of choice (I think we saw them riding some full-grown ones in the episode):

And the Polti Queen:

I'm going to try and add some color (and maybe tweak the design) on the Polti Queen. She's got a little Queen Andreeno going on, but the color should minimize that, I'm hoping. She's kind of, well, large, in the cartoon, but I wanted something different, so that's what I did. (She's holding the Amber Crystal of Such-and-such that was featured in that episode, even though He-Man destroyed it in the end.)

I borrowed pretty heavily from Buzz-Off and the Andreenids, but I figured that was both fitting and in keeping with the spirit of the classic show. I might see if I can come up with anything for the generic "Insect-People" and/or the Tycons, but I might not. One never knows.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by j-bird; December 28, 2007 at 08:30pm.

WoW, really nice.
    I love your redisgn.
    "I'm Winston Wolfe. I solve problems."

[-TRADER REVIEW DB-] Strat0s (written with null)

Quote Originally Posted by Strat0s View Post
    WoW, really nice.
    I love your redisgn.
    Thanks!

Here's the Queen with some "quick & dirty" computer color on her. I like the effects of the computer color, but until I can get my hands on a pen pad / tablet, it's going to be rare for me (the whole mouse-thing sucks).

In the cartoon her crown was more red, but I didn't like the combo when I tried it red, so I "defaulted" to the more traditional gold color.
    Last edited by j-bird; January 19, 2008 at 07:41pm.

j-bird: you're welcome, and thank you. i like what you're doing with the polti, especially the queen--great color scheme!
    Visit my sketchblog at its new URL: JASONBOT.com!

Hey I just saw these. Nice pics. I like them a lot.

A couple of quick sketches -

Constrictor - a fan-figure by General Rattlor:

There's a little disproportion on the end of the tail that I'll have to fix.

And a version of Teela as the Sorceress of Grayskull; my theory on this one is that just as she comes into her inheritance as The Sorceress, one of her first real challenges is another Rise of the Snake Men.

She wins, hardcore, and beats the holy hell out of King Hsss. She takes his snake staff and fuses it with her own cobra staff. The bite or whatever she had taken earlier (way back in the cartoon, that time she turned into a snake woman) had made it so that instead of a falcon, her "totem" was a snake instead (hence the snake armor, etc). Or something like that.

So, with Hsss gone and her wielding his staff (or at least its power) and the Power of Grayskull, she maybe rules the Snake Men too and they defend her (and thus the castle) against "the evil forces of Skeletor" and the Horde and anyone else making a grab for the power.

Does she end up with He-Man/Adam? I dunno.

She's green as an homage both the the Sorceress/Goddess of the early mini-comics and to Baena's (gorgeous) work.

I am also posting my revision of Super-Munkyboy's Kactura:

And no fears, I posted it on the original Kactura thread after checking with SMB first.

EDIT: And here's a colored version of Constrictor:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by j-bird; January 19, 2008 at 07:39pm.

Here's my Sorceress Teela colored.
    Last edited by j-bird; January 19, 2008 at 07:36pm.

Quote Originally Posted by j-bird View Post

Here's my Sorceress Teela colored ... I hope y'all can see this. If not, here's a link:

http://thejason10.deviantart.com/art...eress-75036149
    I cant see the pic and the link doesnt work j-bird
    http://galvatronartstuff.blogspot.com/

Check My Fan Characters
    -------------------------------------------
    Press here to see Houndor
    Press here to see Aetheron

Quote Originally Posted by Galvatron View Post
    I cant see the pic and the link doesnt work j-bird
    EDIT: I updated the previous post with the pic in it and took out the link.
    Last edited by j-bird; January 19, 2008 at 07:51pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    *rightclicksave*

Simply loving them all. You need to post them to Deviant!

Now draw Prince Adam!
    Thanks! I'm stoked that you like 'em . I think I posted most of my MotU work today, so they should be there for viewing.

Prince Adam, huh? I was thinking about drawing Faker next, but Adam might be cool ... I literally haven't drawn him for probably 10+ years.

I'm just learning about Photoshop, and I only have Photoshop Elements version something-or-other, so I'm trying out different things and seeing what works for me (and saving diligently for a Wacom tablet).

Evil Master of Meejitz super-munkyboy's Avatar

In the cartoon her crown was more red, but I didn't like the combo when I tried it red, so I "defaulted" to the more traditional gold color.
    I don't remember her, but I like this a lot dude.
    JITSU!!!! Thank the Elder Gods!!!!

DeviantART - http://super-munkyboy.deviantart.com

Commissions - [TBA]

She was in like one episode and was only a minor character, but the idea of her intrigued me, so there she is.

And thanks again for the info on pic posting.

These are all looking really great. I like your contrictor picture a lot as well as the green goddess!

Quote Originally Posted by Ionus View Post
    These are all looking really great. I like your constrictor picture a lot as well as the green goddess!
    Thanks Ionus - there are some things I'd change about Constrictor now, but that's the way it goes I guess.

Speaking of changes, Jukka (I know, right?) did some colors on my version of Tri-Klops and really added some depth to a pretty "vanilla" shot:

Loving it
    Last edited by j-bird; January 25, 2008 at 04:31pm.

Thanks Ionus - there are some things I'd change about Constrictor now, but that's the way it goes I guess.

Speaking of changes, Jukka (I know, right?) did some colors on my version of Tri-Klops and really added some depth to a pretty "vanilla" shot:

Loving it
    Very good coloring job j-bird
    http://galvatronartstuff.blogspot.com/

Check My Fan Characters
    -------------------------------------------
    Press here to see Houndor
    Press here to see Aetheron

Quote Originally Posted by Galvatron View Post
    Very good coloring job j-bird
    That's all Jukka, man, and it is a VERY good coloring job!

You got some serious skills!

Layout

I'm trying out some ideas for layouts so that I'm not just posting a figure on a plain white background.

Let me know what you think.

Here's one for Skeletor's crew:

If I chose to make this my "official" villain background, I'd do a better pic of Snake Mountain for the vertical bar. I'm also thinking of trying black instead of white.

Here's a more versatile layout that could be customized for each character:

And yes, I've noticed that, in all my intelligence, I spelled "heroic" incorrectly. Urgh.

*claps hands* That is one GREAT take on the Green Goddess!

Over time, I've been warming up to the idea that she is Teela, as Teela becomes the Sorceress of Grayskull. You're not quite the first to approach this character that way.
    Having her turn green from her conflict with Hiss is cool.

I like that idea for a continuation of the MYP/200X series. I think it works and makes a lot of sense.

But she'll still remain an early goddess/sorceress that she was in that first minicomic in my minds eye for MotU.

I really like the hood design and how you've resolved it with her chest armor.

Bravo!
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

WOW! This is awesome J-bird. Love them all, but that Mer-man is just fantastic & so is Kactura. Greatjob.
    My DA Page

www.TheBeastLegion.com is officially online. You can read the Manga in it's entirity there! Hope you give it a try enjoy it.

Beast Legion FaceBook Page ...Join me & help spread the word!!

Quote Originally Posted by Baena View Post
    *claps hands* That is one GREAT take on the Green Goddess!

Over time, I've been warming up to the idea that she is Teela, as Teela becomes the Sorceress of Grayskull. You're not quite the first to approach this character that way.
    Having her turn green from her conflict with Hiss is cool.

I like that idea for a continuation of the MYP/200X series. I think it works and makes a lot of sense.

But she'll still remain an early goddess/sorceress that she was in that first minicomic in my minds eye for MotU.

I really like the hood design and how you've resolved it with her chest armor.

Bravo!
    Seriously, from someone of your level of talent (not to disregard anyone else on the org), that means a lot. Thank you very much.

I'm sure others have used a similar approach to the character, but like you said, it just seemed to make a lot of sense.

The hood design was inspired by the way the 200x Sorceress' headdress fell on her body - I just took it a little further down on Teela.

Quote Originally Posted by 2-bad View Post
    WOW! This is awesome J-bird. Love them all, but that Mer-man is just fantastic & so is Kactura. Greatjob.
    Thanks - glad you like 'em!

Great stuff man and I especially love the fact that you are tackling fan-characters! I love it when other artists take on fellow fans' creations.
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

Quote Originally Posted by oICEMANo View Post
    Great stuff man and I especially love the fact that you are tackling fan-characters! I love it when other artists take on fellow fans' creations.
    I know what you mean - I love to see different artists' takes on the same character, and there are some fan characters that just really make me want to draw them.

And speaking of multiple takes on the same character, I digitally re-colored the very first He-Man pic I posted here:

I took off the sword because, in retrospect, I wasn't as big a fan of it strapped to his back.

Also, a quickie pic of Prince Adam. I'm not entirely happy with it, but I think I'm done with it too.

EDIT: Continuing my layout experiments, here's a He-Man layout:

EDIT #2: Layout with Buffalo-Bill Man's Fungor (my rendition):

He looks a little faded or something ... I might have to tweak it.
    Last edited by j-bird; November 6, 2009 at 08:13pm.

And I've finally colored my version of Mer-Man:

It should be apparent that I've had some extra time for art this week - it's been great, but I'm afraid it might slow down from here on out ... we'll see what happens.
    Last edited by j-bird; November 6, 2009 at 08:14pm.