Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: MotU by j-bird

Movie mayhem!
    Oh wow he looks great J-bird! :-)

Amazing, I'm loving your tae on Adam & Fungor, jbird.
    My DA Page

www.TheBeastLegion.com is officially online. You can read the Manga in it's entirity there! Hope you give it a try enjoy it.

Beast Legion FaceBook Page ...Join me & help spread the word!!

I decided to give Ickthia a try:

I also did Terror-Mite:

Enjoying those fan-characters right now.

Movie mayhem!
    Oh cool! Ickthia looks great as does Terrormite. I love your style man, keep them coming. I'd love to see the following characters like this

hordak
    Randor
    Skeletor
    unicor
    spyfly
    buzz off
    unicra
    mantenna
    Last edited by Patreek; January 28, 2008 at 02:25am.

Nice work! I have to see Uniquor in this style!!!
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

Cambridge, New Zealand (formerly South Africa)
    Ooooh, these are great! I love the cartoony look they all have!

Wish I could see Prime-Hate like this. :P
    Evil Simian Mechanic of the Horde!

I like you style a lot j-bird you did very good job
    I wish i would see hounder and hordor in that style its just so cool kudos to you j-bird
    http://galvatronartstuff.blogspot.com/

Check My Fan Characters
    -------------------------------------------
    Press here to see Houndor
    Press here to see Aetheron

Thanks for the props, guys!

Here's another update:

And for those who remember "The Menace of Trap-Jaw":

Old-school alternative colors + 200x figure design = I almost enjoy this one more than the traditional one!
    Last edited by j-bird; November 6, 2009 at 08:16pm.

Movie mayhem!
    Oh wow cool. Trapjaw is looking really good. I like the alt colors one too.

Asp'r the Contrarian SnakeMenPriest's Avatar
    Very nice style :)

I'd like to see how the (rest of the) SnakeMen would look in your style :)

--Asp'r
    In Kansas, it is a crime to eat rattlesnake meat in public.
    You are upsetting the blessing of the Snake God. ALL HAIL RATTLOR!!

Check out 2-bad's Original epic: Origins of The SnakeMen!

Thanks guys! You may get to see some of those characters at some point, but I hate to say "I'm working on [so-and-so]" and then not post him/her, so we'll just have to see what I finish next.

I did notice, though, that I haven't posted Tri-Klops with my colors, so here we go:

Keep em coming, j-bird. I really love this style more & more every time I see it.
    My DA Page

www.TheBeastLegion.com is officially online. You can read the Manga in it's entirity there! Hope you give it a try enjoy it.

Beast Legion FaceBook Page ...Join me & help spread the word!!

j-bird: these are all looking fantastic, but i'm digging the green goddess, fungor, and terror mite in particular. keep up the great work!
    Visit my sketchblog at its new URL: JASONBOT.com!

I'm really glad people are enjoying my style / takes on characters. It's really motivational; I've done more work in the last month than I probably did in the previous six, so that's good (for me, at least).

Anyway, I did Ickthia, so I figured StarBlazerM31's Kayle was the next logical step:

I've been toying with the idea of an alternate costume for her, one a little more like StarBlazer's first picture of the character, as seen in the following link:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ighlight=Kayle

To me, something along these lines fits in better with the 200x/4HM style, but I couldn't choose between the two versions, so I've been working on both.

I was also thinking of trying out some kind of skull face-paint for when she goes into battle, but we'll see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by j-bird View Post
    I'm really glad people are enjoying my style / takes on characters. It's really motivational; I've done more work in the last month than I probably did in the previous six, so that's good (for me, at least).

Anyway, I did Ickthia, so I figured StarBlazerM31's Kayle was the next logical step:

I've been toying with the idea of an alternate costume for her, one a little more like StarBlazer's first picture of the character, as seen in the following link:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ighlight=Kayle

To me, something along these lines fits in better with the 200x/4HM style, but I couldn't choose between the two versions, so I've been working on both.

I was also thinking of trying out some kind of skull face-paint for when she goes into battle, but we'll see what happens.
    Great pic j-bird i like that vampire feeling the character has.
    http://galvatronartstuff.blogspot.com/

Check My Fan Characters
    -------------------------------------------
    Press here to see Houndor
    Press here to see Aetheron

It seemed natural to put Kayle and Ickthia together, so here's a link:

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...47#post1890547

I'm not sure about Kayle's hair in that one ... I hadn't added any highlight or shadow to the one I posted on this thread, but I might have gone (way) too far with the purple highlights ...

And speaking of not being sure about something, I did up this version of Hiproar that doesn't necessarily coincide with Patreek's vision of her, but I couldn't get it out of my head. Here's hoping y'all don't hate it!

Last edited by j-bird; February 9, 2008 at 01:02am.

Evil Master of Meejitz super-munkyboy's Avatar

Oh man this is ace, like a proper hippo. A curvy lady who just needs a croc to dance with Sorry

She looks quite tough andits a good alternative to the sporty model.
    JITSU!!!! Thank the Elder Gods!!!!

DeviantART - http://super-munkyboy.deviantart.com

Commissions - [TBA]

Servant of Skeletor StarBlazerM31's Avatar
    In whatever form, I think Hiproar is an awesome character. In the "curvy" form, she still looks like she could really kick some rear. Heh, I sure would run if I saw her charging at me with that huge axe.

And that drawing of Kayle is fantastic! I really like the design you gave to her outfit. The main reason I always draw her in a skirt is so that I can keep a bit of her femininity (and because all the females in MOTU seem to wear skirts ) but you've accomplished that very well here. I really dig your art style. ^_^ And your idea for skull face paint really intrigues me. Or if not face paint...maybe an armored mask of sorts...

Aww man, I wish I could get out of this lazy phase I'm going through. I'm getting so many ideas that I want to draw!
    Last edited by StarBlazerM31; February 9, 2008 at 12:28pm.

Movie mayhem!

I'm not sure about Kayle's hair in that one ... I hadn't added any highlight or shadow to the one I posted on this thread, but I might have gone (way) too far with the purple highlights ...

And speaking of not being sure about something, I did up this version of Hiproar that doesn't necessarily coincide with Patreek's vision of her, but I couldn't get it out of my head. Here's hoping y'all don't hate it!

Haha! I love it. I see her being thick but a little leaner then this, but I really love this picture at the same time. Great stuff as always

Co-Creator of the NV

I love this design. It seems to me more like how she should look.

I'd love to see what you'd do with An-Gar or Thanatos, both of whom were in poll 5 of the staction contest.

Quote Originally Posted by Patreek View Post
    Haha! I love it. I see her being thick but a little leaner than this, but I really love this picture at the same time. Great stuff as always
    Whew - I'm glad you like it ... it was a significant departure physique-wise from her "standard" design (if she can be said to have a standard design at this early stage), but that was part of why I wanted to do it.

I'm also working on a more "serious" version of her that's more like the representations of her we've seen so far, but like I said, I just had to get this one out.

Congrats on her recent win, by the way!

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Latveria View Post
    I love this design. It seems to me more like how she should look.

I'd love to see what you'd do with An-Gar or Thanatos, both of whom were in poll 5 of the staction contest.
    I have actually been thinking about An-Gar lately, so we'll see what happens. I might have to go take another look at Thanatos, too, as I'm not really familiar with him.

I love this place - the characters I want to draw just seem to be piling up - the motivational material is outstanding!

Movie mayhem!
    Whew - I'm glad you like it ... it was a significant departure physique-wise from her "standard" design (if she can be said to have a standard design at this early stage), but that was part of why I wanted to do it.

I'm also working on a more "serious" version of her that's more like the representations of her we've seen so far, but like I said, I just had to get this one out.
    Cool, well can't wait to see your other version. This one is super cool. I'd also love to see your rendition of Angar and Thanatos. As well as Uniquor.

Ok, so here's a more "serious" version of Hiproar. I wanted to try a different skin-color, so that's why there's no highlight or shadow (I wanted to see what people thought before I went into that).

I gave her beaded braids instead of just loose hair or a pony-tail; I figured the beads would weigh her hair down when she was in the water to help avoid detection (like if she's lurking in ambush waiting to pound the crap out of her opponent) and the braids would give her a little more detail. If I all-out finish this version, I'll add more detail or texture or something to the hair to make the braids "read" better.

I also did a more animal-like leg on her ... it seemed more primitive/Preternian to me.

She's not quite as thick as I wanted her, but I definitely wanted to go leaner than my previous version. I'm a little afraid that resulted in her face looking too "horse" and not "hippo" enough, but I am still fairly happy with it.

Anyway, let me know what y'all think.

Oh, and does anybody else think she might be better with a war-hammer than an axe, or is it just me?

EDIT:
    Here's another test pic (no highlight/shadow) of another version of StarBlazerM31's Kayle. This one feels (to me, anyway) more in line with the 200x revamp, and more MotU in general. It also looks more like StarBlazer's original pic of the character. The version on the right shows her skull-like war-paint for when she goes into battle.

I'm not sure if I like this version or my previous version (which is based much more heavily on Buffalo Bill-Man's rendition) better, so let me know what you think.

EDIT 2:
    I also posted a pic of Dragoona; if you want, you can see it here:

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...99#post1893199
    Last edited by j-bird; February 15, 2008 at 06:19pm.

Movie mayhem!

So many thing to love about this picture j-bird, I love the pose and style. I really really love the breaded and beaded hair, I think thats perfect! I think I still prefer the other skin color, however, she secretes a lotion like liquid just like real hippos to help her regenerate and the color here is exactly the color I invisioned that being. Its like she's just regenerated herself and ready for battle again! I love it! Can't wait to see the final picture. :-)

I really love your redo of this character, the costume elements on the 2nd one are really awesome and very appropriate. Great work. I really love how your style is developing as well. Keep it up man!

Co-Creator of the NV
    Ok, so here's a more "serious" version of Hiproar. I wanted to try a different skin-color, so that's why there's no highlight or shadow (I wanted to see what people thought before I went into that).

I gave her beaded braids instead of just loose hair or a pony-tail; I figured the beads would weigh her hair down when she was in the water to help avoid detection (like if she's lurking in ambush waiting to pound the crap out of her opponent) and the braids would give her a little more detail. If I all-out finish this version, I'll add more detail or texture or something to the hair to make the braids "read" better.

I also did a more animal-like leg on her ... it seemed more primitive/Preternian to me.

She's not quite as thick as I wanted her, but I definitely wanted to go leaner than my previous version. I'm a little afraid that resulted in her face looking too "horse" and not "hippo" enough, but I am still fairly happy with it.

Anyway, let me know what y'all think.

Oh, and does anybody else think she might be better with a war-hammer than an axe, or is it just me?

EDIT:
    Here's another test pic (no highlight/shadow) of another version of StarBlazerM31's Kayle. This one feels (to me, anyway) more in line with the 200x revamp, and more MotU in general. It also looks more like StarBlazer's original pic of the character. The version on the right shows her skull-like war-paint for when she goes into battle.

I'm not sure if I like this version or my previous version (which is based much more heavily on Buffalo Bill-Man's rendition) better, so let me know what you think.

EDIT 2:
    I also posted a pic of Dragoona; if you want, you can see it here:

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...99#post1893199
    I really like the look of the warpaint on Kayle. Suits her well.

Hiproar also looks good, although I really preferred the original version as it was a little more original. In any case, great job in both