Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: MotU by j-bird

I finally found my old lines of the first pics I posted, so I added some digital color to Skeletor:

There might be some things I'd tweak, but I'm fairly happy with it.

Co-Creator of the NV
    Quote Originally Posted by j-bird View Post
    I finally found my old lines of the first pics I posted, so I added some digital color to Skeletor:

There might be some things I'd tweak, but I'm fairly happy with it.
    I think he looks great.

Here's some more digital re-color, this time of Man-At-Arms:

and:

i love the fore arm piece on man at arms..btw its cool you are revisiting these pieces...

Thanks Gatcha - I just kind of feel like the digital color reads better than the old colored-pencil.

In that spirit, here's Teela:

and:

not that the pencils were bad at all...it is hard to get really rich colors with them...you are doing a great job with recoloring all these...you collect a few together and make some backgrounds

Heroic Warrior Hordaks Henchman's Avatar
    cool drawing style

Skeletors evil colorist Predabot's Avatar
    Might I suggest using more of a contrast on the backgrounds? The brown one on Teela is a bit over-powering. I just started getting the hang of this myself, and ussually a much brighter background (or VERY much darker) than the character, and in a colour that is inverted in comparison to the most common colour on the character is the best way to go, in my view.

I started using this thing called the tertiary colour-wheel recently, and it helps a lot. ^^

http://www.artsparx.com/colorwheel.asp

Cheers mate!

Quote Originally Posted by Predabot View Post
    Might I suggest using more of a contrast on the backgrounds? The brown one on Teela is a bit over-powering. I just started getting the hang of this myself, and ussually a much brighter background (or VERY much darker) than the character, and in a colour that is inverted in comparison to the most common colour on the character is the best way to go, in my view.

I started using this thing called the tertiary colour-wheel recently, and it helps a lot. ^^

http://www.artsparx.com/colorwheel.asp

Cheers mate!
    So, you'd suggest something more like this?

I took your advice literally and used her skin-tone (arguably the most common color on Teela) and inverted it for the background, just to see how that would work. She does stand out more from the background that way - I'm just not sure it's "me," you know what I mean?

It does look kind of nice though.

Also, for whatever reason, I (slightly) updated my version of Constrictor. Not sure why, other than I just felt like it.

I wasn't sure what "title" or whatever to give him, so I just threw something on there. I wanted to add "of the SNAKE-MEN" on the end, but it wouldn't fit without more tweaking than I wanted to do.

Also: I hope my response to Predabot didn't come across as snarky - it wasn't intended to be ...

I have posted a picture I did of Glass Shrimp's character See-Shell here:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...90#post1897290

I have put together a lineup of my pics of the MotU villains:

Evil-Lyn and Beastman don't have digital color yet, but I wanted to post 'em together anyway.

One more image today:

Here's a little sketch I did yesterday of Orko looking kinda bad@$$:

I plan to add some color and kind of "finish" it, but we'll see what time does for me.

I kind of hate idiot-jester Orko, but thought the character had potential, so my thought on it is this:
    Skeletor had Evil-Lyn take control of Dree-Elle and used her to try and assassinate He-Man. Somehow Orko found out, and by the time he got to wherever they were, the only way to stop her was to blast her (kill her). Now Orko's all dark and broody and has a creepy voice because he got injured trying to escape Snake Mountain.

On the plus side, his magic all works like it did back on Trolla and he found part of his old wand, which he wears as an amulet around his neck. That, and He-Man's alive and Dree-Elle's dead. Is that wrong?

Movie mayhem!
    I love that orko!!!! Great job, i can't wait to see it in color.

Quote Originally Posted by Patreek View Post
    I love that orko!!!! Great job, i can't wait to see it in color.
    Well, you don't have to wait any longer:

I'm by no means as good a colorist as a lot of the folks on here, but I tried a couple new things (new for me, anyway).

Any feedback is welcome, both on this, and my stuff in general.

Actually, if anybody has anything regarding my stuff that they feel strongly about (positive or room-for-improvement), please let me know.
    Last edited by j-bird; March 7, 2008 at 01:17am.

Evil Master of Meejitz super-munkyboy's Avatar
    Well, you don't have to wait any longer:

I'm by no means as good a colorist as a lot of the folks on here, but I tried a couple new things (new for me, anyway).

Any feedback is welcome, both on this, and my stuff in general.

Actually, if anybody has anything regarding my stuff that they feel strongly about (positive or room-for-improvement), please let me know.
    LOL Orko is emo He zaps himself to feel alive :d

Sorry. Real nice piece of colouring dude, liking the eyes
    JITSU!!!! Thank the Elder Gods!!!!

DeviantART - http://super-munkyboy.deviantart.com

Commissions - [TBA]

Quote Originally Posted by super-munkyboy View Post
    LOL Orko is emo He zaps himself to feel alive :d

Sorry. Real nice piece of colouring dude, liking the eyes
    Orko is emo I love it! He hides in the royal gardens and gives himself a jolt when he's supposed to be entertaining the King and Queen. That's so wrong. Maybe he needs an intervention?

EDIT:
    Anyway, here's my Beast-Man with digital color:
    Last edited by j-bird; March 7, 2008 at 10:59pm.

Orko is emo I love it! He hides in the royal gardens and gives himself a jolt when he's supposed to be entertaining the King and Queen. That's so wrong. Maybe he needs an intervention?
    Now I really wanna draw an Emo Orko His hat tilted one side over his face, wearing a new black costume with additional red or white striping. Chains on his belt, and a sad face

Commissions - [TBA]

I've started a thread here:

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=158194

where I'm working on an updated vision of Phantos from the classic series.

Check it out and let me know what y'all think.

Skeletors evil colorist Predabot's Avatar
    So, you'd suggest something more like this?

I took your advice literally and used her skin-tone (arguably the most common color on Teela) and inverted it for the background, just to see how that would work. She does stand out more from the background that way - I'm just not sure it's "me," you know what I mean?

It does look kind of nice though.

Also, for whatever reason, I (slightly) updated my version of Constrictor. Not sure why, other than I just felt like it.

I wasn't sure what "title" or whatever to give him, so I just threw something on there. I wanted to add "of the SNAKE-MEN" on the end, but it wouldn't fit without more tweaking than I wanted to do.

Also: I hope my response to Predabot didn't come across as snarky - it wasn't intended to be ...
    Didn't think so at all. Anyways, I may be crazy but I think you've actually taken some heed to my advice, since you've chosen a primarily purple background for a yellowish character. ^^

Yellow and purple are each other opposites, for those of you that may be wondering.

I think you're doing great tho J-bird, and your art is evolving at a fairly steady pace. If there's one thing I'd like to challenge you to do, it's to ink. These are quite fast and fun, but it'd be nice to see some really crisp and clear work with thick nice lines from you. I just think it would look rather nice with your somewhat cartoon-inspired look.

I would suggest that you try Painter or Illustrator for the inking, since the first can emulate traditional inks decently enough, and the second gives a great modern cartoon-look, with incredibly clean lines.

Didn't think so at all. Anyways, I may be crazy but I think you've actually taken some heed to my advice, since you've chosen a primarily purple background for a yellowish character. ^^

Yellow and purple are each other opposites, for those of you that may be wondering.

I think you're doing great tho J-bird, and your art is evolving at a fairly steady pace. If there's one thing I'd like to challenge you to do, it's to ink. These are quite fast and fun, but it'd be nice to see some really crisp and clear work with thick nice lines from you. I just think it would look rather nice with your somewhat cartoon-inspired look.

I would suggest that you try Painter or Illustrator for the inking, since the first can emulate traditional inks decently enough, and the second gives a great modern cartoon-look, with incredibly clean lines.
    Thanks, Predabot. I try and take constructive criticism as it's intended and use it to improve, so I definitely appreciate your feedback.

You're right about inking - I've gotten super-lazy about it. The thing about it for me right now is that I HATE trying to ink with a mouse, and that's my only (digital) option at the moment.

I could (and probably should) ink some things by hand though; that might clean things up a bit, especially since the vast majority of what I've posted lately has been very, very quick/sketchy.

Like I said, a large part of that (the majority, if I'm honest) is pure laziness, but the other part is that, once I get a little way into a pic, I want so badly to get it done and posted that I start to take shortcuts.

Thanks again for your feedback - it's always welcome.

Movie mayhem!
    Wow, your orko turned out great!

Flash is also very good for doing a more animated tyle. I've been practicing a lot. Its quicker to shape th elines as well

Commissions - [TBA]

j-bird: great looking orko!
    Visit my sketchblog at its new URL: JASONBOT.com!

Movie mayhem!
    Ok we're over due for some awesome J-bird art! ;-) Would love to see you do DL's Angar!!

Well, it's not Angar, but ...

I'm working on "my" version of She-Ra, and I'd like some input; what do you guys think -

Fur:

or
    no fur?:

I'm also thinking perhaps the furred cape should be shorter (if I go that route) - so that the bottom of the fur comes to where the bottom of the plain cape is.

Also, should she have more of an armored shoulder instead of just the cape?

Do we like the fur on the boots?

I'm trying to balance her between classic/iconic She-Ra elements and making her seem a more "natural" part of the He-Man universe ... let me know what you think. I've always wanted a She-Ra that looked like she got her powers from the same place as He-Man ... since she does.

Anyway, give me your opinions - I eagerly await input!

Movie mayhem!
    Wow talk about asking for more j-bird art and getting it! She looks graet, I like the fur cape, but maybe for a like winter or ice she-ra varient. The second one looks awesome!

Test colors - is the cape red enough? I'm not sure about the blue of the jewel either ... any suggestions?

Also, a (sloppily colored) test version of She-Ra with furry shoulders - do we like those?
    Last edited by j-bird; April 5, 2008 at 01:49am.