Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Battle Angel Alita Movie 2018

  1. #1
    Friend of fox Rhanen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Eternian Pampas
    Posts
    2,046

    Battle Angel Alita Movie 2018

    Here's the first trailer for James Cameron & Robert Rodriguez adaption from manga:



    Sadly, it would be quite close to this year's "Ghost in the Shell" disappointment, and in a sort of way, similar in context story.

    I'm not sold on the overall design, specially on animating actress' face to look like a real life anime. CGI looks good on some scenes and very animated in other ones. I hope it turns out a good movie, since I'd loke to see more (GOOD, and I do really stress this part) manga/anime adaptations.
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab

    My feedback thread

  2. #2
    Animator Zentron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Posts
    651
    Her face does look rather strangely done and yes some parts of that do look terrible, but it's just a trailer, as I find many times, the trailer and finished product aren't always the same!

    Though I do hope well for the finished product, I am a big fan of the Manga and Anime, however I cannot feel a certain amount of concern, especially after the disappointment of the Ghost in the Shell live action movie... and the trailers kinda looked like it was going to be OK too

  3. #3
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA, USA
    Posts
    606
    Looks terrible, but I am bot surprised.

  4. #4
    Heroic Warrior HarryCanyon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Santa Ana, California
    Posts
    1,424
    Hey i enjoyed Ghost in the Shell and liked it for what it is and i even liked it more than the 1995 anime movie which was good but give me Akira, Ninja Scroll, Ghibli stuff, Golgo 13 The Professional etc anytime.

    Yes to make her eyes huge is bizarre i agree but the film will use practical and CGI effects.

    This could be Rodriguez's comeback movie.
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

  5. #5
    Heroic Warrior felgekarp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Sheffield, UK.
    Posts
    952
    I thought this looked alright, I'll give it a watch anyway.

  6. #6
    Heroic Warrior Krueger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    3,403
    The trailer has peaked my interest. The CGI on her, for the most part, looks very well done. I just don't rate Rodriguez as a director. A handful of his earlier films are the only things he's made of worth, IMO.

  7. #7
    Heroic Warrior HarryCanyon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Santa Ana, California
    Posts
    1,424
    Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    The trailer has peaked my interest. The CGI on her, for the most part, looks very well done. I just don't rate Rodriguez as a director. A handful of his earlier films are the only things he's made of worth, IMO.
    What about Sin City? and did you think Planet Terror was fun?
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

  8. #8
    Heroic Warrior Krueger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    3,403
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryCanyon View Post
    What about Sin City? and did you think Planet Terror was fun?
    Granted, I've never seen Planet Terror, so I can't comment on that. Sin City was okay, but I think it was a novelty more than anything. The only thing it has going for it is the visual look, IMO. The Spy Kids films and Sharkboy and Lava Girl are...weird, to say the least, and not in a groundbreaking way. More like a "Why do these films exist?" way.

  9. #9
    Heroic Warrior HarryCanyon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Santa Ana, California
    Posts
    1,424
    Looks nice and should be a nice comeback for Rodriguez and Cameron.
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

  10. #10
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA, USA
    Posts
    606
    The only movie I like from Rodriguez is the first Sin City. Hopefully this one will surprise me. Though I still wish that Alita looked more like how she looked in the anime.

  11. #11
    President of Primus Ornclown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The Tri-Solar System
    Posts
    4,273
    WTF?!

    What is wrong with her face???

    Man, I was soooo hoping that Cameron would just drop the idea of making a live-action BA movie... but, it looks like he is gonna push it through anyway.

    The manga (titled Gunnm) are fantastic! (Well, not the sequel, but the original story is epic... well written and illustrated by Yukito Kishiro.)

    This movie looks..... not good. It is just one of those things that can't be done with live action, IMO. It would have been better to animate it like the latest Appleseed movies (although, I'm not a huge fan of those either, but it does work for the imagery of that universe...) And, no, don't make it like the old BA CGI from a few years back... ugh.

    Also, Robert Rodriguez? Really? I've got nothing against the guy, but his movies are terrible... he is a poor choice for this type of film.
    Where are the rest of my New Adventures Classics figures?!?!?

    **Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST complete the New Adventures Faction!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

  12. #12
    Heroic Warrior RocketPunch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    6,631
    I'm a fan of most of Rodriguez & Camerons films, love Sin City and From Dusk Till Dawn, but I'm not liking what I'm seeing from the trailer.

    Those eyes. Her face is too obviously CGI and doesn't mesh with anything else on screen. It makes her look like a video game character interacting with the real world, and I'm sure that's not what they were going for. Perhaps they were deliberately going for an uncanny valley effect, but the problem is that while she doesn't look like a regular person, she also doesn't look like she is really there. The movie Ex Machina did a much better job at creating an unsettling-looking near-human robot, and had far more convincing effects.

    It's a shame, because I liked the anime, and everything else in the trailer looks quite promising, but it's all for naught when I can't stand to look at the main character.

  13. #13
    Heroic Warrior HarryCanyon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Santa Ana, California
    Posts
    1,424
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon78 View Post
    The only movie I like from Rodriguez is the first Sin City. Hopefully this one will surprise me. Though I still wish that Alita looked more like how she looked in the anime.
    You never saw From Dusk Till Dawn, El Mariachi, Desperado and Once Upon a Time in Mexico?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    WTF?!

    What is wrong with her face???

    Man, I was soooo hoping that Cameron would just drop the idea of making a live-action BA movie... but, it looks like he is gonna push it through anyway.

    The manga (titled Gunnm) are fantastic! (Well, not the sequel, but the original story is epic... well written and illustrated by Yukito Kishiro.)

    This movie looks..... not good. It is just one of those things that can't be done with live action, IMO. It would have been better to animate it like the latest Appleseed movies (although, I'm not a huge fan of those either, but it does work for the imagery of that universe...) And, no, don't make it like the old BA CGI from a few years back... ugh.

    Also, Robert Rodriguez? Really? I've got nothing against the guy, but his movies are terrible... he is a poor choice for this type of film.
    What makes adapting comic books in live-action film no different than making anime into live-action? and you never seen Sin City, From Dusk Till Dawn, Despardo, Once Upon a Time in Mexico and El Mariachi?

    Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    I'm a fan of most of Rodriguez & Camerons films, love Sin City and From Dusk Till Dawn, but I'm not liking what I'm seeing from the trailer.

    Those eyes. Her face is too obviously CGI and doesn't mesh with anything else on screen. It makes her look like a video game character interacting with the real world, and I'm sure that's not what they were going for. Perhaps they were deliberately going for an uncanny valley effect, but the problem is that while she doesn't look like a regular person, she also doesn't look like she is really there. The movie Ex Machina did a much better job at creating an unsettling-looking near-human robot, and had far more convincing effects.

    It's a shame, because I liked the anime, and everything else in the trailer looks quite promising, but it's all for naught when I can't stand to look at the main character.
    What makes the Na'Vi, Caesar from Planet of the Apes prequel reboot trilogy, LA Noir video game and Gollum no different? and at least in TinTin the characters were not meant to look like real life humans but comic book characters and succeeded where Zemeckis failed.
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

  14. #14
    I am that I am Heidi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Posts
    6,654
    I was blown away by this trailer and really like her face, I think it's a bold choice and makes her strangely inhuman. Can't wait to see this and I hope they won't change anything before it releases (facial features, I mean).
    "The most difficult thing is trying not to forget who you really want to be." - Nong Toom

    I am looking for these Marvel Legends figures

    My marketplace feedback


  15. #15
    Heroic Warrior RocketPunch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    6,631
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryCanyon View Post
    What makes the Na'Vi, Caesar from Planet of the Apes prequel reboot trilogy, LA Noir video game and Gollum no different? and at least in TinTin the characters were not meant to look like real life humans but comic book characters and succeeded where Zemeckis failed.
    I think when the character is an alien (Avatar) or an animal (Planet of the Apes) the use of cgi is easier to accept. It's tough to make a near-human face with cgi and not have it look weird. Even the best attempts, like Leia and Tarkin in Rogue One, don't look completely convincing.

    I don't think it was necessary to change Rosa Salazar's facial features anyway. Most human manga/anime characters are drawn with big eyes, they didn't have to take such a literal approach.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Tintin is an entirely animated film. Alita is a partially digital character interacting with live action sets and people. Two completely different things. If every character in the film was digitally altered then I could probably get used to it, but when the camera is cutting from a human face to a cgi'd not-quite-human face then it is jarring. For me anyway.

    Plus, she falls squarely into uncanny valley territory, whereas the other characters you mentioned (Tintin, Gollum, etc) do not because they are charicatures. I'm not opposed the idea of giving her an artificial almost doll-like appearance, it's just the execution which I find lacking. I thought the cyborg guy from the tralier looked great. Alita herself doesn't look real, as in physically there, and I find her face unpleasant to look at.

  16. #16
    Heroic Warrior diosoth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    WKRP in Cincinnati
    Posts
    2,527
    I would be bothered by these eyes if everyone did have them. Keeping them to the robot is more believable.

  17. #17
    Heroic Warrior HarryCanyon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Santa Ana, California
    Posts
    1,424
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    I think when the character is an alien (Avatar) or an animal (Planet of the Apes) the use of cgi is easier to accept. It's tough to make a near-human face with cgi and not have it look weird. Even the best attempts, like Leia and Tarkin in Rogue One, don't look completely convincing.

    I don't think it was necessary to change Rosa Salazar's facial features anyway. Most human manga/anime characters are drawn with big eyes, they didn't have to take such a literal approach.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Tintin is an entirely animated film. Alita is a partially digital character interacting with live action sets and people. Two completely different things. If every character in the film was digitally altered then I could probably get used to it, but when the camera is cutting from a human face to a cgi'd not-quite-human face then it is jarring. For me anyway.

    Plus, she falls squarely into uncanny valley territory, whereas the other characters you mentioned (Tintin, Gollum, etc) do not because they are charicatures. I'm not opposed the idea of giving her an artificial almost doll-like appearance, it's just the execution which I find lacking. I thought the cyborg guy from the tralier looked great. Alita herself doesn't look real, as in physically there, and I find her face unpleasant to look at.
    Gollum wasn't human either
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •