Thread: If the Movie Stinks Just Don't Go

Heroic Warrior

If the Movie Stinks Just Don't Go

Who thinks Jay Sherman from The Critic's speech is still brilliant and relevant?

Great writing from the writers of this episode and such a good message which some executives should see even filmgoers.
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

Heroic Warrior Eternian-King Paul's Avatar
    Agreed.

I think Hollywood is really sad.
    ..but theyre not jumping out windows yet.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Sometimes you don't know if a movie stinks before you see it. I think a better piece of advice is not to take movies so personally and realize that some people are going to enjoy things that you can't stand.

The Official 200X Sorceress vs 200X Evil-Lyn 2 Pack Support Thread
    The Blonde Teela Thread

Sagitar (Jetlag) • Azdar • Belzar • Chazdar • 200X Evil-Lyn • 200X Teenage Prince Adam • 200X Teenage Teela • 200X Sorceress • General Rattlor (MYP) • 200X King Randor and Queen Marlena • 200X Battle Armor King Randor and Battle Armor Queen Marlena • Ice Armor He-Man • WMD Roboto

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Sometimes you don't know if a movie stinks before you see it. I think a better piece of advice is not to take movies so personally and realize that some people are going to enjoy things that you can't stand.
    Agreed. Personally, I don't let anyone's opinion of a movie sway me one way or the other as to whether I'm going to see it or like it. All the trashing for months on Batman vs Superman, and when I finally ended up watching it, I enjoyed it. It wasn't a perfect movie, but not the disaster some made it out to be.

Not taking movies so personally is a very strong point. Also, they shouldn't be taken so seriously. If you expect everything you watch to be a masterpiece, you are setting yourself up to be disappointed most of the time.

On an unrelated note, I did used to love The Critic....it was gone way too soon!
    Harken the coming of Tuskador!!
    New List of Most wanted figures: Dylamug, Quakke, Lizzor, King Miro, Granita, Sagitar, Hawke, Artilla, Hoove, Kayo, ABC Giants

Sometimes a movie is very well made, but not very enjoyable. Sometimes a movie isn't very well made, but very enjoyable. Often what one person finds enjoyable another won't. Realistically we can't always know till we get there what it really is. Add to this we live in an age where everything is either the most awesomest thing ever ever made, or the most awful piece of flaming pile of mixed species feces. Well it isn't entirely true, those tend to just be the loudest and most vocal.

The logic he speaks is true, but it's basically like saying people to stop acting like idiots you need to stop acting like idiots. And I don't see that happening anytime soon.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Heroic Warrior
    But if we don't go, how will we know it stinks?
    Is he saying we should blindly take the word of people like him, critics, who are infallible like himself not only in his professional life but his private life as well?
    Because he wasn't: did everyone forget how his home life was - imperfect.

Oh I see, the show was a satire of not only Hollywood and all that THAT entails, but of the "snooby, elitist" critics that critize/analyze said world.

A satire. Ohhh....

Nature's Greatest Wonder Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    If the movie stinks, dosie doe!

In the name of the Lloyd!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    Sometimes a movie is very well made, but not very enjoyable. Sometimes a movie isn't very well made, but very enjoyable. Often what one person finds enjoyable another won't. Realistically we can't always know till we get there what it really is. Add to this we live in an age where everything is either the most awesomest thing ever ever made, or the most awful piece of flaming pile of mixed species feces. Well it isn't entirely true, those tend to just be the loudest and most vocal.

The logic he speaks is true, but it's basically like saying people to stop acting like idiots you need to stop acting like idiots. And I don't see that happening anytime soon.
    Well this speech is about some bad stuff like Superman vs. Batman, Independence Day 2, Poltergeist remake, Pixels, That's My Boy, Amazing Spider-Man 2 etc. in one and the sorry state of films today and how some movies are flops. I'd love to see that awful enemy of cinema aka Tom Rothman who is the worst movie executive in Hollywood see this speech and say "Uh oh the jig is up" then jump out the window.

1. If we stop going to bad movies (ala Adam Sandler's latest crap) they'll stop making bad movies and be flops.
    2. After numero two, give it a rest (Terminator sequels after T1 and so on).
    3. If it's a remake of a classic rent the classic (Elm Street, Ghostbusters, Poltergeist, Point Blank etc.)
    4. Tell them you want stories about people, not just a hundred million dollars of stunts and explosives.
    5. If the movie use to be a TV show just don't go (Jem!, Honeymooners etc. but there is a few good ones like Equalizer or Mission Impossible).

People it's all up to you of how to make a hit or a flop, if the movie stinks just don't go!
    Last edited by HarryCanyon; October 13, 2016 at 04:01pm.

But what if you get a kick out of seeing a bad flick... Id get more laughs out of a bad movie than i do most comedy...

My friends love get bunch of crap and have a blast...50 shades of crap...i mean gray... HILARIOUS... its like it was written by 14 yer old... good times
    Just when you thought it was safe to take a pee.....- Hard Ticket To Hawaii -

Quote Originally Posted by HarryCanyon View Post
    1. If we stop going to bad movies (ala Adam Sandler's latest crap) they'll stop making bad movies and be flops.
    How do you know a movie is bad until you've seen it? Are you saying that because it's Adam Sandler it's automatically bad?
    Like Star Wars and Lord of the Rings? Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban? Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade? Toy Story 3?
    3. If it's a remake of a classic rent the classic (Elm Street, Ghostbusters, Poltergeist, Point Blank etc.)
    Many remakes are consider to be superior to the original films. Cape Fear, 3:10 to Yuma both come to mind. I also liked the True Grit remake better. but it's all in the ye of the beholder.
    4. Tell them you want stories about people, not a hundred million dollars of stunts and explosives.
    People love fireworks and monster truck rallies. Sometimes we're just in the mood for big action.

People it's all up to you of how to make a hit or a flop, if the movie stinks just don't go back!

People get paid lots of money to try and entertain us. Each of us is our own judge as to whether or not they succeed.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    People get paid lots of money to try and entertain us. Each of us is our own judge as to whether or not they succeed.
    It's just some classics like Back to the Future, The Godfather and Jaws should never be remade, Ghostbusters remake failed and at the box-office so it should show Hollywood not to mess with some sacred untouchable classics.

What about if it use to be a TV show just don't go? like Jem which failed big time.

What about if it use to be a TV show just don't go? like Jem which failed big time.
    So they shouldn't have made movies based on Mission Impossible, Star Trek, South Park, The Fugitive, He-Man, Blues Brothers, Wayne's World, etc?

It's just some classics like Back to the Future, The Godfather and Jaws should never be remade, Ghostbusters remake failed and at the box-office so it should show Hollywood not to mess with some sacred untouchable classics.

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    So they shouldn't have made movies based on Mission Impossible, Star Trek, South Park, The Fugitive, He-Man, Blues Brothers, Wayne's World, etc?
    Exactly! One movie doesn't do well and you want to discount all other movies based on some simple premise?

And do you think you're really going to "show Hollywood"?

And do you agree the Brady Bunch movies were better than the TV show?

Wait, Starsky and Hutch was a butchered classic. What do those clowns in Hollywood think they're doing? When are they going to learn that the real movie and entertainment experts are right at home, working in retail, but readily available for consultation on internet chat forums?

Master of New Adventures!
    Agreed. Saying not to see a movie if it stinks is like when I lose my car keys or wallet -- on daily basis -- and Kim asks me "Where did you see it last?" If I freaking knew where I saw it last then I'd know where to freaking look!

Same with a film. Wyldman11 is right. If critics knew what they were talking about they'd be producers, or at least studio execs. Two films that got good reviews that I walked out on were The Aviator and The Shining. And Titanic was called amazing. Half an hour into it I was groaning. And hour into it and I wanted to shove knitting needles into my eyes. On the other hand Not Easily Broken got mostly poor or mediocre reviews and it's absolutely on my Top Twenty-five Favorite Films list...and that list includes The Empire Strikes Back, Avatar, Casablanca and Citizen Kane.

Critics who work for newspapers and magazines? Meh. The fact that they are neither producers nor studio execs not withstanding, I'll go with orgers' overwhelmingly spot on opinions any day, then I'll gamble my ten bucks. Worst case scenario? I enjoy popcorn and a box of Milk Duds.

Quote Originally Posted by wayne-klops View Post
    Agreed. Personally, I don't let anyone's opinion of a movie sway me one way or the other as to whether I'm going to see it or like it. All the trashing for months on Batman vs Superman, and when I finally ended up watching it, I enjoyed it. It wasn't a perfect movie, but not the disaster some made it out to be.

Not taking movies so personally is a very strong point. Also, they shouldn't be taken so seriously. If you expect everything you watch to be a masterpiece, you are setting yourself up to be disappointed most of the time.

On an unrelated note, I did used to love The Critic....it was gone way too soon!
    - - - Updated - - -

Agreed on TV series films...with the exception of anything Charley's Angels. Lucy Liu, Cameron Diaz and Drew Barrymore? Geez...who cares about the plot?

Well this speech is about some bad stuff like Superman vs. Batman, Independence Day 2, Poltergeist remake, Pixels, That's My Boy, Amazing Spider-Man 2 etc. in one and the sorry state of films today and how some movies are flops. I'd love to see that awful enemy of cinema aka Tom Rothman who is the worst movie executive in Hollywood see this speech and say "Uh oh the jig is up" then jump out the window.

4. Tell them you want stories about people, not just a hundred million dollars of stunts and explosives.
    5. If the movie use to be a TV show just don't go (Jem!, Honeymooners etc. but there is a few good ones like Equalizer or Mission Impossible).

People it's all up to you of how to make a hit or a flop, if the movie stinks just don't go!
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; October 17, 2016 at 12:00pm.

Heroic Warrior

This is a very opinionated post. Being Bad does not equal a flop... unfortunately. There have been a lot of movies I thought were crap that made a ton of money... that's all that they care about. My definition of Good obviously doesn't match yours. I hated Superman v Batman, but think Amazing Spider-man 2 was the 2nd best one yet... and the Poltergiest remake was a LOT better then the original. The original was interesting years ago... but it hasn't aged well at all. It's to the point where it isn't scary at all, it's hilarious.

2. There are a lot of great shows that have great parts 3-10 or whatever. Honestly, I would take a sequel over a remake any day of the week. If I get a choice between seeing the same plot again... or a new story picking up where the last one left off??? It's a no brainer for me. I enjoyed Freddy vs. Jason and New Nightmare MUCH more then I enjoyed the Nightmare on Elm street remake for example.

3. Remakes are actually better. A lot of truly classic movies had already been filmed before. Maltese Falcon, Wizard of Oz, The 'famous' ones are actually the 2nd or 3rd try at them. Also, SOME shows can justify a remake... not MANY, but there are a few. Especially if it's special effect heavy and technology has a 70 year jump on the original.

4. Some franchises are built on explosions and special effects. Heck, most of the 80's action movies revolved around the guns and bombs. My dad and I loved those things.

5. I love how make a blanket statement, then immediately contradict it... TV shows suck... except MI and Equalizer... If there are exceptions, then you can't make that a rule.

My own opinion for better enjoyment at the theaters.

1) Lower your expectations. There has not been an ACTUAL bad super hero movie since before Iron Man. Superman v Batman pushed the edge for me... but even if a movie wasn't as great as you expected... it wasn't Catwoman or Steel bad. You're increased standards doesn't make a bad movie. Actually, I think the Fant4stic was down there. I hated just about every thing about that show.

2) Lower the budgets on these things. Not EVERY movie released is going to make 500 million dollars. Expecting that kind of return on every single property is insane. CGI was intended to be a cheaper way to make movies. The movies were safer, you weren't destroying sets, No cars exploding... but if you can't make a Lone Ranger movie for under 200 million dollars... then you did something wrong. Mask of Zorro was awesome around 65 Million... inflation MAY have 90 million... 200 was stupid.

A LOT of halfway decent shows out there actually got a lot of viewers and made pretty decent money. Lone Ranger and Green Lantern should NOT have been considered 'flops.' They just didn't have 500 million in them.

3) If the entire purpose behind making a movie.... that is NOT historical or documentary... involves massive political statements?? Just don't make it. That crap is so old and gets so blown out of proportion.

Court Magician
    I usually decide if a film is worth my time in the first 30 minutes . Its the movies job to make me like it .

I dont care too much for cinema,s . I would prefer to wait a while .

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    This is a very opinionated post. Being Bad does not equal a flop... unfortunately. There have been a lot of movies I thought were crap that made a ton of money... that's all that they care about. My definition of Good obviously doesn't match yours. I hated Superman v Batman, but think Amazing Spider-man 2 was the 2nd best one yet... and the Poltergiest remake was a LOT better then the original. The original was interesting years ago... but it hasn't aged well at all. It's to the point where it isn't scary at all, it's hilarious.

2. There are a lot of great shows that have great parts 3-10 or whatever. Honestly, I would take a sequel over a remake any day of the week. If I get a choice between seeing the same plot again... or a new story picking up where the last one left off??? It's a no brainer for me. I enjoyed Freddy vs. Jason and New Nightmare MUCH more then I enjoyed the Nightmare on Elm street remake for example.

3. Remakes are actually better. A lot of truly classic movies had already been filmed before. Maltese Falcon, Wizard of Oz, The 'famous' ones are actually the 2nd or 3rd try at them. Also, SOME shows can justify a remake... not MANY, but there are a few. Especially if it's special effect heavy and technology has a 70 year jump on the original.

4. Some franchises are built on explosions and special effects. Heck, most of the 80's action movies revolved around the guns and bombs. My dad and I loved those things.

5. I love how make a blanket statement, then immediately contradict it... TV shows suck... except MI and Equalizer... If there are exceptions, then you can't make that a rule.

My own opinion for better enjoyment at the theaters.

1) Lower your expectations. There has not been an ACTUAL bad super hero movie since before Iron Man. Superman v Batman pushed the edge for me... but even if a movie wasn't as great as you expected... it wasn't Catwoman or Steel bad. You're increased standards doesn't make a bad movie. Actually, I think the Fant4stic was down there. I hated just about every thing about that show.

2) Lower the budgets on these things. Not EVERY movie released is going to make 500 million dollars. Expecting that kind of return on every single property is insane. CGI was intended to be a cheaper way to make movies. The movies were safer, you weren't destroying sets, No cars exploding... but if you can't make a Lone Ranger movie for under 200 million dollars... then you did something wrong. Mask of Zorro was awesome around 65 Million... inflation MAY have 90 million... 200 was stupid.

A LOT of halfway decent shows out there actually got a lot of viewers and made pretty decent money. Lone Ranger and Green Lantern should NOT have been considered 'flops.' They just didn't have 500 million in them.

3) If the entire purpose behind making a movie.... that is NOT historical or documentary... involves massive political statements?? Just don't make it. That crap is so old and gets so blown out of proportion.
    I thought Poltergeist remake was INFERIOR, CGI does not belong in a horror movie! the original is already a masterpiece and originality and all that, Hollywood just got greedy and wanted to cash-in, not to mention a horrible script and bad acting. The original remains a classic and should had not been touched, some perfect horror films like Jaws or American Werewolf in London should never be remade and forbidden. CGI is laughable in horror, the original's practical effects is awesome.

Heroic Warrior
    I thought Poltergeist remake was INFERIOR, CGI does not belong in a horror movie! the original is already a masterpiece and originality and all that, Hollywood just got greedy and wanted to cash-in, not to mention a horrible script and bad acting. The original remains a classic and should had not been touched, some perfect horror films like Jaws or American Werewolf in London should never be remade and forbidden. CGI is laughable in horror, the original's practical effects is awesome.
    Hollywood wanting to make money isn't exactly a revelation. The only reason to make anything is the hope of it being successful. You won't get many people who'll disagree with that. It isn't even worth mentioning.

CGI has it's place. I prefer Practical effects, but only if they are GOOD practical effects. A good CGI effect replacing a bad practical effect is 100 times better regardless of genre. 90% of the practical effects in say... the Nightmare on elm st. franchise were pretty crappy and don't hold up at all now days. Jaws was good, but 2, 3, 4??? SOOOOO bad. I'll never forget the charging shark Jaws 3 that looked like a cardboard picture pulled closer to the screen with no movement at all. CGI would have made those MUCH better. American Werewolf in London? Personally I hated that movie... but the practical effects were top notch. It's still a gold standard for Werewolf movies. The transformations in the New Wolfman?? Sure beat the heck out of the old Howling movies though. Though to be fair, I'd heard Wolfman was a combination of CGI and practical...

One thing I've noticed over the years, is that CGI has gotten so prevelant... that we don't even recognize actual practical effects anymore unless the director comes out and tells us it was real. I remember a LOT of people going crazy over how stupid that BB-8 droid was in Force Awakens until Mark Hamill came out and talked about how much fun he had remote controlling the thing in one of the warehouse sets. Knowing it was real changed a lot of minds over night.

I know when I was younger, I always loved 'movie magic' and wondering how things were done... Now? Now, I just assume that it was CGI and ignore it.

As for Poltergeist specifically? I barely remember any Practical effects in the original. Or scary stuff. Or much of anything really. I last saw it about 10 years ago and still thought it sucked. Lot of screaming at doorways and tvs, but nothing scary at all. Certainly no 'masterpiece'. I was a fan of Craig T Nelson before seeing it, but he really seemed lost in that movie. The acting was just... bad.

The new one? It still wasn't a great story... but it hit the scary parts a bit better. Definitely creepier.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Hollywood wanting to make money isn't exactly a revelation. The only reason to make anything is the hope of it being successful. You won't get many people who'll disagree with that. It isn't even worth mentioning.

CGI has it's place. I prefer Practical effects, but only if they are GOOD practical effects. A good CGI effect replacing a bad practical effect is 100 times better regardless of genre. 90% of the practical effects in say... the Nightmare on elm st. franchise were pretty crappy and don't hold up at all now days. Jaws was good, but 2, 3, 4??? SOOOOO bad. I'll never forget the charging shark Jaws 3 that looked like a cardboard picture pulled closer to the screen with no movement at all. CGI would have made those MUCH better. American Werewolf in London? Personally I hated that movie... but the practical effects were top notch. It's still a gold standard for Werewolf movies. The transformations in the New Wolfman?? Sure beat the heck out of the old Howling movies though. Though to be fair, I'd heard Wolfman was a combination of CGI and practical...

One thing I've noticed over the years, is that CGI has gotten so prevelant... that we don't even recognize actual practical effects anymore unless the director comes out and tells us it was real. I remember a LOT of people going crazy over how stupid that BB-8 droid was in Force Awakens until Mark Hamill came out and talked about how much fun he had remote controlling the thing in one of the warehouse sets. Knowing it was real changed a lot of minds over night.

I know when I was younger, I always loved 'movie magic' and wondering how things were done... Now? Now, I just assume that it was CGI and ignore it.

As for Poltergeist specifically? I barely remember any Practical effects in the original. Or scary stuff. Or much of anything really. I last saw it about 10 years ago and still thought it sucked. Lot of screaming at doorways and tvs, but nothing scary at all. Certainly no 'masterpiece'. I was a fan of Craig T Nelson before seeing it, but he really seemed lost in that movie. The acting was just... bad.

The new one? It still wasn't a great story... but it hit the scary parts a bit better. Definitely creepier.
    Your just a studio plant, i can smell them a mile away and i appreciate good filmmaking thank you.

The Howling's (original not the awful sequels) still holds well on practical.

Poltergeist has been forgotten with the other misbegotten remakes like Ghostbusters, Elm Street, Halloween, Total Recall, Robocop etc. and so much more.
    Last edited by HarryCanyon; October 20, 2016 at 07:58pm.

Heroic Warrior
    Your just a studio plant, i can smell them a mile away and i appreciate good filmmaking thank you.

Poltergeist has been forgotten with the other misbegotten remakes like Ghostbusters, Elm Street, Halloween, Total Recall, Robocop etc. and so much more.
    LOL

I wish I worked for a studio... gotta be better money then where I'm at >.<

Original Howling's practical effects were 'ok' but the monster still looked pretty fake. Wolfman was IMO much better. It doesn't help that Howling's story was garbage. Best of the bunch of course, but the Howling franchise was a low bar to top for sure.

Heroic Warrior Eternian-King Paul's Avatar
    Well, I am fairly sure that originality is almost gone in art and music and shows.
    I think the last of efforts in this will be much more academic than creative.
    I think the last movies ever made will be a great compiling of understanding in all things, a lot of networking if possible, and a planned goal of making the last and best movies ever.

These movies, should be, about teaching, and entertaining.

The goons in Hollywood will not except this easily.

A studio plant?

Really?

But did you enjoy One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest?