Thread: Concept art from my upcoming arcanepunk comic book!

Widget

Concept art from my upcoming arcanepunk comic book!

Hi there He-Manites- how's it hanging?

This thread features pre-production art for my comic book-series Gods, which I am working on for my proposed Cannon Comics line, to debut in my anthology title provisionally titled...

The gallery will range from rough thumbnails and detailed sketches to fully coloured sequentials and painted promo pieces. I welcome all comments, crits and suggestions. Obviously, the sequential pages are closest to visualising the final product.

The material is arcanepunk meets space-fantasy, and I have just begun beavering on the actual comic book art proper from my 13 issue script for the entire series.

THE DAY OF DOOM...

Gods tells of the sudden manifestation of an immense stratoscraping mountain fortress on the outskirts of Valdor, capital nation of the high-tech medieval world of Aldar.

Dubbed the 'Slayers', the planet's deadliest soldiers have already been largely routed from existence by Aldar's military Protectorate, but their rag-tag remains- comprised of teams and individuals of wildly varying moral codes- are now called upon to help face off the Fortress's extradimensional 'Battlelord' legions.

The Lordmaster of the incursion is the demi-god Ryzar, long banished to but dim memory by Aldar's all-but extinct violence-shunning Lightlords, but returned to the world by a fifth column of black magicians within the Protectorate.

THE IRON REIGN...

The deity seeks to complete a long-delayed dark rite that will uproot the living from the physical world, forevering interring all within the steel trap of Ryzar's mind's eye.

The eternal desolation facing the soon-to-be figmentary prisoners of Ryzar's awareness is previewed in full to Eldridge Cyger- tearaway teenage son of Slayer Cade Cyger- when he stumbles into the being's off-world lair at the start of the story... an all-binding netherworld where one's every movement, word and thought is as predetermined by the Lordmaster as a shadow by its owner.

A ROCK AND A HARD PLACE...

The hostage provides Ryzar with an emotional lever against Aldar's most feared warrior. Over others, it wields a more rational defence: within its miles of protective granite, the being's final layer of all concealing-armor registers precisely as the background radiation of the universe... the Black Pillar that is Ryzar's dimensional shell harbours nothing less than the very universe itself.

ON THE SIDE OF THE ANGELS?

Somehow the Slayers, Protectorate and the last of the Lightlords must overcome their differences and unite to oppose the most terrible predator ever known... Creation itself.

First off, some concept sequential concepts here...

Hyperion battlecruiser concept (side view)

Hyperion color study

Forcefield projector station within first layer of mountain fortress interior.

Last edited by Capo; December 14, 2014 at 11:07am.

Nice artwork you have there, Capo.
    Try to reach inside of me, try to drain my energy
    Let me show you just what I'm made of
    Simple curiosity trying to take a bite of me
    Let me show you just what I'm made of now...

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by Neophron View Post
    Nice artwork you have there, Capo.
    Well thank you very much indeed, Neophron!

Widget
    Battlelord 'Straaken'- alien warrior concept

Battlelord Straaken is the deposed king of his small, ocean storm-beset homeworld Thoron.

Having escaped the planet with Janrak, the last of his otherwise massacred line, he contends with Ryzar that he will do anything to regain his throne and rain vengeance on those who conspired to usurp him.

Straaken demonstrates that he walks the talk by acceding to the dark god's request that he devour Janrak alive right there and then.

Naturally, like most of Ryzar's devoted legions, Straaken remains far too self-involved to realise the full implication of his master's goal to part all who live from their every last flicker of volition.

"Hell's he looking at us like that?"
    "Ain't me he's looking at... sorry, Dyler- you're on your own!"

Final design and four prelim roughs for the 'Jackal' tank bikes that will feature in the second part of the Gods British comic book trilogy. These all-terrain attack vehicles feature two elongated, tilting treads that sprout climbing crampons, enabling their riders to storm even the sheer cliffs of the titan enemy mountain 'Ryzar'.

"They'll get you where you need to go, alright. What'll be left of you, anyhow."

- - - Updated - - -

Major Cade Cyger character concept (revised from the tan jacket number)

"Wait!! You'll wake the dale guardian!"

Concept sketch of Sergeant Daniel Foley.

"Jonesy!! Two on the pipe- lock it up!!"

Concept sketch of Gods druid Halsen Archard

'Yeah? Seems to me this is exactly the right time for one of my lame parlour tricks.'

Concept sketches and paintings of battlesuit for Gods antagonist 'Nargun'- an incorporeal demon from the planet Aldar's Dark Age. Interesting note about the lined note paper- most of these babies weren't really whipped up for public consumption or intended to be formal concept art, just side scrawls beside my script notes- but hopefully they're interesting enough for those who are big into pre-production stuff.

'No-one conquers death. Death conquers you.'
    'And what's wrong with that?'

Medical droid 'Jeeg' whips across roiling battlefields either patching up the greviously wounded or putting them out of their misery, depending on the severity of their messed-upness. The Hypocratic oath doesn't get much of a look-in when half the dying are likely to Turn (into)...

...lifeless, soul-sucking Gaunts. You may know some of them.

Wow, very cool stuff. Digging the look a lot.
    Coming Soon. My line of 5.5'' action figures. EonQuest.com
    fwww.facebook.com/eonquest
    www.twitter.com/eon_quest

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    Wow, very cool stuff. Digging the look a lot.

Hey, John Wesley Huff!

Thanks a lot man, getting props from you's practically like getting a thumbs-up from Roger Sweet or someone ( Eon Quest's pretty sweet itself). Looking forward to see more of whatever forms are to come of that world. As you probably can see, maybe like yourself I remain a big fan of fantasy action figures like MotU, Other World, Power Lords, and all those other rockin' lines and would love to see a contempory, slightly more sophisticated creation hit the market that could perhaps do for this genre what the Simpsons did for humour cartoons.

I really enjoyed your article on Bleeding Cool (http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/10/...he-mini-comic/) about the lost art of the mini-comics that came with the plastic incarnations of our favourite characters, and am myself working to find a way of getting a resurgence back on the cards (or should that be on the card backs).

It occurs to me that although there is an astonishing mass of talent out there producing almost photo-real digitally-painted art (way better than anything I can dream of creating personall), I can think of no-one using these styles to create comics stories. Perhaps if this talent could be pooled and focused into creating comics with art that blows the graphics of even the highest polygon-count out of the water, the medium may yet find a new lease of life.

I'm aware there's also a guy producing another cool-looking 'arcanepunk' line called Defenders of Eden.

I'd be be pretty cool if we and other creators of like-minds could hook-up online to spitball ideas on the best way to get our stories and characters out there in an already pretty crowded and tough-ass market place. I get the feeling there's something about this specific genre that still has huge potential.

Hit me up with a personal message if you feel like letting me know your thoughts.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

More Gaunt concepts

- - - Updated - - -

Master sergeant Vansonn 'Vance' Hillbrandt performs the blunt, heavy-duty frontline wetworks that could be termed as mass personnel demolition.

Discovering his own culpability in running security for the horrific false flag operations of his nation's political demagogues, Vance finds himself poised to take his own life, until his protege Kara Flynn evinces he has no business getting off that easy.

Some more sketches, apologies for the lined paper- these were done as sidebars to script notes, prior to figuring they maybe turned out interesting enough for display.

Cade's battleblade is enriched by sorcery, enabling it to be ‘sawmilled’ in the direction of incoming debris or enemy artillery, providing a defensive canopy of whizzing metal.

Odds n' ends

Infirmary med vorg; Cade Cyger's Diamondback Interceptor; Light Council twin-engine Skyraider; Slayer Rayken Shorde (close-up); thumbnail study of Theeldoran Library lobby.

- - - Updated - - -

Early sketches of Gods' protagonists' main junkbucket, the Starstriker

Starstriker in flight - test 'comet tail' effect for dogfights etc

- - - Updated - - -

Towergun studies