Thread: RIP Alan Thicke

Heroic Warrior

RIP Alan Thicke

Loved you in Growing Pains

And at 69 years old, you were taken far too soon.

Prayers for the family
    Last edited by THE SEEKERS; December 13, 2016 at 09:58pm.

"Oh dearie my!" Mer-Man's Minion's Avatar
    I too grew up with him on Growing Pains, and Saturday's Animal Crack-Ups. RIP, Mr. Thicke.
    Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

Aww man..I just saw him on Fuller house..
    RIP to a TV staple !!
    Just when you thought it was safe to take a pee.....- Hard Ticket To Hawaii -

Nature's Greatest Wonder Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    This definitely took my wife and I by surprise. We also just watched the episode of Fuller House that he was on (his character on it was very annoying, but I still like him overall... he was hilarious on a guest appearance on How I Met Your Mother a few years back).

He was definitely iconic and it just feels weird knowing that he has passed on. This has really been a bad year for celebrity deaths.

In the name of the Lloyd!

I used to watch Growing Pains all the time back in the day. R.I.P.

Nature's Greatest Wonder Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    One of my favorite things that he ever did was a specific episode of a short lived sitcom that ran from 1995-1996 called "Hope and Gloria" on NBC.

He was a regular cast member on the show. He played Dennis Dupree, a regional talk show host. The titular main characters, Hope and Gloria, worked behind the scenes on his talk show.

In the specific episode that I'm referring to, the producer of the fictional talk-show decided that they should have a "Growing Pains" cast reunion on the show. In this episode, Alan Thicke plays both his regular character on the show, Dennis Dupree, and a really arrogant "full of himself" version of himself.

But everyone was warning the producer that Dennis Dupree has a huge feud with Alan Thicke, and resents the comments that he gets about looking like him. Dennis agrees to the reunion show as long as Alan Thicke is not invited to be on it.

Behind Dennis's back, the producer has Hope contact Alan Thicke to be on the reunion show. When she calls and gets his answering machine, it plays the Diff'rent Strokes theme song (which he actually wrote in real life) with Alan speaking either over it or before/after it (I haven't seen this episode in YEARS, so I don't recall every minute detail exactly). Both the machine recording and when she talks to him, he is hilariously full of himself.

Other cast members of Growing Pains were in this episode for this fictional talk show reunion. Just as they are getting ready to start filming the talk show, Dennis is warned that Alan Thicke is in fact coming on the show, he gets upset, but then procedes. They bring out the other Growing Pains cast members out first, and then Alan comes out as a "surprise." Dennis does the fakest "what the?" reaction, trying to act surprised, but failing.

So of course there is a part where using a split screen, Dennis and Alan are face to face, and the whole exchange between them is pretty funny from what I recall, though I don't remember all of the exact specifics.

I would love to track down a copy of this episode somewhere, somehow.

In the name of the Lloyd!

Heroic Warrior
    RIP! i remember that show Growing Pains, shame he died so soon.
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    When she calls and gets his answering machine, it plays the Diff'rent Strokes theme song (which he actually wrote in real life)
    Not only is he the writer of the DS theme song, he is also the guy who sings it on the series, and he co-wrote the Facts of Life theme song with his wife Gloria Loring (and she sang the "Facts" theme song for that series).
    Last edited by Mer-Man's Minion; December 16, 2016 at 11:29am.
    Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

I enjoyed watching Growing Pains as a kid and always liked seeing Alan play guest roles on other shows.

R.I.P., Mr. Thicke.
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

Shezar in MOTUC please! The All American's Avatar
    Was very sorry to hear he passed, sounded like a great guy. "Growing Pains" was one of those classic 80's sitcoms I and so many others enjoyed as a kid.

It was also cool he retweeted one of our fellow fans during the Masters of the Universe Classics awareness things years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    One of my favorite things that he ever did was a specific episode of a short lived sitcom that ran from 1995-1996 called "Hope and Gloria" on NBC.
    I enjoyed him on that series as well.