Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame: 1986-Present

He-Man.org Forum Admin TheShadow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fendi View Post
    I see a genre discrimination over here.
    They probably should have named the thing something more encapsulating than "Rock and Roll" Hall of Fame.

Just released 10/6/2013: EPISODE 55 of Masters Cast!
    The He-Man & She-Ra Podcast at www.masterscast.com

Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    They probably should have named the thing something more encapsulating than "Rock and Roll" Hall of Fame.
    I always thought Rock and Roll has the same meaning of Music. or maybe the respond of the fans of certain genre are too much, just like Metal guys bashing on Guitar Hero/Rock Band franchise.
    Our ancestor are praying for the wealthy of his generation, Many has come and we will wait for more.
    "I know what it's like to lose someone you love" - Through Her Eyes Dream Theater.

Death is inevitable, death will keep his promise to greet you in the after life.
    And god will keep his promise to judge you right or wrong. Then your soul will be there forever after.

Well since your not from Cleveland do you know why they call it the rock & roll HOF??

I live here so I know...

Only music that came from R & R SHOULD be in the HOF...

Like R & B ,Classic Rock,Hard Rock etc.

Why the hell is Madonna (Who is a POP artist (Key Word) in the ROCK & ROLL HOF???) Among other artists who have NOTHING to do with the words Rock & Roll...Rock & Roll is type of MUSIC that's why they call it what they call it...I can't help they're putting people that don't even play/sing rock music in their to begin with???

That's like putting a baseball or basketball player in the pro football hof....

Last edited by Megalodon; September 29, 2009 at 03:06pm.

He-Man.org Forum Admin TheShadow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    Well since your not from Cleveland do you know why they call it the rock & roll HOF??
    Well I know that Alan Freed is cooler than **** Clark.

Only music that came from R & R SHOULD be in the HOF...

Like R & B ,Classic Rock,Hard Rock etc.
    I think it is too hard to define what genres fit in to "rock & roll" in this day and age. You'd have an easier time "back in the day".

Why the hell is Madonna (Who is a POP artist (Key Word) in the ROCK & ROLL HOF???)
    Pop music still has origins from rock and roll.

That's like putting a baseball or basketball player in the pro football hof....
    I don't see it that way. Baseball and basketball are completely different sports. Music isn't like sports. It is very easy to cross a ton of genres with just one song in music.

Anyway, in the grand scheme of things it means nothing to be in the rock and roll hall of fame. What is it? Why is it important?

Successful music careers are better measured by longevity, hit songs, album sales, etc. I mean skimming the list of people in the fall of fame... I have no idea who Roy Orbiso or Carl Perkins are and them being on the list doesn't make me want to research it

Just released 10/6/2013: EPISODE 55 of Masters Cast!
    The He-Man & She-Ra Podcast at www.masterscast.com

Quote Originally Posted by motu77 View Post
    I'm kind of surprised The Cars, Poison, Genesis and Alice Cooper have not been inducted yet. As far as I'm concerned they have more right to be there than some of the other inductees.
    Yes us Cars fans are disappointed they are not in. The Hall didn't think their catalogue was good enough. Its ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Eraser View Post
    Yes us Cars fans are disappointed they are not in. The Hall didn't think their catalogue was good enough. Its ridiculous.
    Maybe the music industry should add Alternative Music Hall of Fame.
    Our ancestor are praying for the wealthy of his generation, Many has come and we will wait for more.
    "I know what it's like to lose someone you love" - Through Her Eyes Dream Theater.

Death is inevitable, death will keep his promise to greet you in the after life.
    And god will keep his promise to judge you right or wrong. Then your soul will be there forever after.

Pop music still has origins from rock and roll.
    Maybe some pop rock acts but Madonna has nothing to do with rock music. She really doesn't. She's only in there because of her popularity. The Cars are excellent pop rock and they deserve to be in there way more than a pop princess who's songs are written by a team of producers.

I don't see it that way. Baseball and basketball are completely different sports. Music isn't like sports. It is very easy to cross a ton of genres with just one song in music.
    Agree with you there but most folks who are into music know what comes from rock and what doesn't. Bands like Tool, The Cure, Radiohead, Yes and King Crimson are all over the place but when you get down to the core, it's based from Rock music.

Anyway, in the grand scheme of things it means nothing to be in the rock and roll hall of fame. What is it? Why is it important?
    Agreed. It isn't important but to an artist it IS an honor to be recognized whether the artist himself cares or doesn't.

Successful music careers are better measured by longevity, hit songs, album sales, etc. I mean skimming the list of people in the fall of fame... I have no idea who Roy Orbiso or Carl Perkins are and them being on the list doesn't make me want to research it
    What is success, really? I know dozens of underground bands that most folks would never hear of that I would consider successful. All I have to do is pop in one of their CD's or go to one of their shows and if it sounds kick-ass - they've succeeded from my POV.

And Roy Orbison and Carl Perkins are legends, man - those guys are pioneers in music. I love Roy Orbison. You never heard the song, "Pretty Woman?" That's him. He also played in the Traveling Wilburys with Bob Dylan and Tom Petty in the late 80's, early 90's.

Dynasty Masters Universe DynastyMasters's Avatar
    FUTURE ROCK LEGENDS MAKES ITS PREDICTION FOR THE 2010 ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME:

KISS, ABBA, The Hollies, Darlene Love, Genesis

http://www.futurerocklegends.com/

The real inductees will be announced next week.

Other great site:

THE DIGITAL DREAM DOOR
    http://digitaldreamdoor.nutsie.com/

THE DIGITAL DREAM DOOR FORUM
    http://www.digitaldreamdoor.com/forum/index.php
    Last edited by DynastyMasters; December 18, 2010 at 02:10pm.
    DYNASTY AND THE MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE
    http://www.dynastyandthemastersofthe...e.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by G-Man View Post
    Maybe some pop rock acts but Madonna has nothing to do with rock music. She really doesn't. She's only in there because of her popularity. The Cars are excellent pop rock and they deserve to be in there way more than a pop princess who's songs are written by a team of producers.
    I disagree. Pop does belong into Rock and Roll Music, it just change rapidly lately. If you listen to 60's Pop like The Jackson, Ronettes, Temptations, Supremes, Gordy and Phil Spector music it still base on Rock and Roll music, It does have element of Rock and Roll as the title suggest. But I'm not a staunch supporter of today's Pop genre like Bubblegum pop or Dance Pop.

Heroic Warrior
    I'm waiting for The Cure, The Smiths, The Cars, Siouxsie & the Banshees, Steve Miller Band, T.Rex, Gary Puckett and the Union Gap, Depeche Mode, and Roxy Music among many others to get in before any more rap/hip hop "artists" get in. A shame for great bands to get slighted time and time again.

The 2010 Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame

ABBA
    Genesis
    Jimmy Cliff
    The Hollies
    The Stooges
    David Geffen
    Barry Mann and Cynthia Weil
    Ellie Greenwich and Jeff Barry
    Jesse Stone
    Mort Shuman
    Otis Blackwell

March 15, 2010 on FUSE
    http://www.rockhall.com/induction2010
    http://www.fuse.tv/ontv/shows/rock-hall/

Totally agree just because some people are too young,don't care on don't have a clue doesn't mean that that pop/hip hop etc. should be in the ROCK & ROLL Hall of Fame...If I have to explain this anymore I'm going to have to beat my head up against the wall..Why is it in this day and age we have to "Kowtow" to the mass public about them getting somwhere/thing just because we want to make everyone "happy" This is stupid logic make a seperate hall of fame for your music and keep the R & R HOF to the people that actually deserve to be in it for the MUSIC they play!

You know that would be like letting Bonds,McGwire,Sosa and the whole steroid era abusers into the Baseball HOF even though we know they cheated JUST to make someone happy.... Trust me it's coming not right now but it is coming...

Quote Originally Posted by rocky_raccoon View Post
    I'm waiting for The Cure, The Smiths, The Cars, Siouxsie & the Banshees, Steve Miller Band, T.Rex, Gary Puckett and the Union Gap, Depeche Mode, and Roxy Music among many others to get in before any more rap/hip hop "artists" get in. A shame for great bands to get slighted time and time again.

The presenters for the 2010 Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame induction ceremony have been announced:

ABBA - Barry Gibb and Robin Gibb of the Bee Gees
    Genesis - Trey Anastasio of Phish
    Jimmy Cliff - Wyclef Jean of Fugees
    The Hollies - Steven Van Zandt of E Street Band
    The Stooges - Billie Joe Armstrong of Green Day

David Geffen - Jackson Browne
    Barry Mann & Cynthia Weil - Carole King
    Ellie Greenwich & Jeff Barry - Carole King
    Jesse Stone - Carole King
    Mort Shuman - Carole King
    Otis Blackwell - Carole King
    Last edited by DynastyMasters; March 15, 2010 at 05:37pm.

Eternian Music Master mikethedrummer's Avatar
    AC/DC

Enough said.
    PS3 contact: InfernoSkeletor
    mikethedrummer's feedback thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=181087

Quote Originally Posted by mikethedrummer View Post
    AC/DC Enough said.
    Just saw them a week ago here in Melbourne - even after all this time they've "still got it" i'm happy to say. 10 min Angus solo for Let There Be Rock was awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
    Just saw them a week ago here in Melbourne - even after all this time they've "still got it" i'm happy to say. 10 min Angus solo for Let There Be Rock was awesome.
    Beside, they still have number one album and still hit the charts.

Quote Originally Posted by Fendi View Post
    Beside, they still have number one album and still hit the charts.
    That's true Black Ice rocks!

Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    Only Rock N Roll and the music that inspired them SHOULD be in the HOF

After all Madonna is NOT Rock N Roll

When did Aretha Franklin and Smokey Robinson become RnR? I don't know why people are so quick to single out Madonna.

So...to assert my unpopular opinion. KISS sucks and belongs in a circus!
    Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity? ~Steve Polyak

Quote Originally Posted by sKareGlo View Post
    When did Aretha Franklin and Smokey Robinson become RnR? I don't know why people are so quick to single out Madonna.

Because Madonna is annoying. And yeah, Kiss does suck, IMO.

Because Smokey & Aretha were R&B,Soul that's what roots that R&R came from..And sorry but last I looked Madonna didn't have any R&R roots...just "Pop" and you may hate Kiss but at least they play R&R so they DO belong in the R&R HOF...

Quote Originally Posted by sKareGlo View Post

Last edited by Megalodon; March 5, 2010 at 04:28pm.

Faith Hill, Chris Isaak, Train, Ronnie Spector, Fefe Dobson, Eric Burdon, Peter Wolf, and Maroon 5 will be performing at the ceremony, but the Rock Hall is not saying which artists will be performing for which inductees.

They are also working on a performance to represent all the songwriters who are being inducted in the non-performers category, with a variety of special guests.

The ceremony won't be streamed live on the internet!

I'm thinking Phil gonna earn a Hall of Fame in 5 years. I think it do not fair that some people inducted twice, If I'm in the HoF, my only speech are: "I only take one for myself, don't expect me to come here for solo nomination."

Unedited Director's Cut Captain Wow's Avatar
    It never ceases to amaze me as to who they induct and who they perpetually ignore. I also would say I've never heard of half the inductees. How in the hell have Def Leppard never been inducted yet? Or Boston? Boston has one of the top-selling debut albums of all time, for a long time it was also one of the top-selling albums period. Def Leppard have back-to-back diamond albums. Only a handful of artists have more than one.

ABBA
    Genesis
    Jimmy Cliff
    The Hollies
    David Geffen

I've heard of them, although David Geffen is an executive, not an artist.

The Stooges
    Barry Mann and Cynthia Weil
    Ellie Greenwich and Jeff Barry
    Jesse Stone
    Mort Shuman
    Otis Blackwell

Never heard of a single one of them.

I suppose Falco, M and Taco will be inducted in short order.
    "You see, I've got this real moron thing I do...it's called 'thinking'...and I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions." - George Carlin

Last edited by DynastyMasters; September 27, 2011 at 11:59am.

The Demon of Screamin' JonnyTyler's Avatar
    Might I say it's about ****ing time for Alice Cooper!!!!

The man is a musical genius! So many bands out there, I mean SO DAMN MANY I can't even name them all, have stolen so much from Alice over the years, and the poor guy gets no credit at all.

And the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame has passed him up for years! He's been eligible since 1996!!

And it's about damn time they recognise one of the greatest artists of all time!!
    Please Give My MOTUC Sale Thread A Look! http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...easts-For-Sale
    I have a new Thread in the Vintage Marketplace! Check it out!! http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=209217
    Here's my Trader's Review too: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ght=Jonnytyler