View Poll Results: How do you rate the vintage Snake Mountain playset (with 10 being the best)

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 point

0 0%
  • 2 points

0 0%
  • 3 points

1 1.69%
  • 4 points

2 3.39%
  • 5 points

2 3.39%
  • 6 points

2 3.39%
  • 7 points

6 10.17%
  • 8 points

18 30.51%
  • 9 points

10 16.95%
  • 10 points

18 30.51%

Thread: Snake Mountain vintage playset review (annual feature!)

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar

Snake Mountain vintage playset review (annual feature!)

Well, about this time last year, we were discussing the legendary Castle Grayskull play set. So this year, let’s do the same with Skeletor's stronghold of evil... SNAKE MOUNTAIN.

Castle Grayskull was the best ever Christmas present that I got. So the next year, naturally, I wanted a home for Skeletor and his cronies. However, but about that time, my mother was trying to wean me off of Masters of the Universe, so I never got my own Snake Mountain until years later.

Like Grayskull, Snake Mountain can fold up neatly, and then open out to be played with.
    Probably the biggest feature was the wolf microphone, which turned the user’s voice in a 'scary voice'. This could be used with the movable mouth of the demon face on the front of the play set.

Other features included a trapdoor, a ladder (the same mold as Grayskull's, in darker grey), and chains, to chain up poor victims with.

Of course, the play set Snake Mountain is famously different looking to the Filmation cartoon version, where it was a giant stone snake wrapped around a mountain. It was one of the biggest discrepancies between the cartoon and other MOTU material.

The play set is fun to play with, although doesn't quite match the greatness of Grayskull IMO.

We saw Snake Mountain in the Mike Young Productions cartoon, where it pretty much resembled the Filmation version. There was no 200x revamp Snake Mountain play set, so we can only ponder how it might have looked.

All-in-all, it's a good play set, but doesn't quite look as good or play as good as the vintage Castle Grayskull. I'll give it a reasonable 8 out of 10.

Now I'd really like to hear your own Snake Mountain thoughts, comments and memories. And whether you post or not, don't forget to rate the vintage play set in the poll!
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

Defender of the Elders Red Trinity's Avatar
    I think I enjoyed the Snake Mountain playset more than Grayskull as a child. I remember the day I got it. It was given to me as a bribe. I was having my tonsils taken out, and my mom took me to Toys R Us that morning and said if I was good and didn't cry or put up a fuss I could have Snake Mountain.

NA mini-sub Supporter ! Arkangel's Avatar
    i played with it more than i did with grayskull, but don't fance it much nowadays, it's not very loyal to the whole line of toys

I really liked snake mountain especially the bridge. I wish there was more to do on the inside - such as a second level. Also the gate at the top kind of leads to nowhere. A ramp leading down inside or into the mountain would have been cool.

Heroic Warrior
    I thought Snake Mountain was a really neat playset. I loved the deep shades of purple. But I have to agree that the interior could have had more going for it. Still, I think it was a perfect companion to the Castle Grayskull playset. It would have been nice, however, if Snake Mountain would have been fashioned in such as a way as to complement a future smaller playset. Kind of like how Castle Grayskull accomodated the top half of the Point Dread set. I gave Snake Mountain a 10.
    "Tri-Klops, Master of Vision. I will need your gamma vision to see around EPA guidelines!"

-Skeletor, evil master of Housing and Urban Development

i think that i gave it a 9 or a an 8. I actually played with this more than greyskull because of the mic
    It's not what you ride. It's that you ride.

Hey bush let the door hit you on the way out !!!!

OBAMA 2012 !!!!!

I gave it a 7.
    Here's why:

The plastic 'chains' broke WAY too easy!
    I hated that it looked so different to the cartoon
    Inside was all 1 level. (I likes that Grayskull had floors and a lift)
    It didn't come with any extra weapons.
    I got it for Xmas as a kid when I actually wanted Grayskull!

Scott

Never liked it that much. Only cool thing about it was the microphone thingy...

Looked nothing like the cartoon and was way too limited. They could have easily made it heaps better than they did.
    10 figures I'd like: 10/Filmation Tung Lashor, 9/Saurod, 8/Perfuma (for completeness of POP ONLY!), 7/Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina, 6/Sssqueeze, 5/Peekablue, 4/Hunga the Harpy, 3/Filmation Clawful, 2/Dylamug, 1/Queen Angella.

Eh...I gave it a six. It was okay, but not all that great. They put out a LOT of top quailty toys and I know they could have done much better than this.

The trapdoor hardly worked...there are very few play surfaces. I was a bit disapointed even as a kid after seeing how cool Grayskull was. The only thing I really liked about Snakemountain as a kid was the bridge on the front because I liked the look of it.
    I just published my very first ebook: Malediction! A short story of monsters and magic!
    Buy it now on Amazon or Barnes and Noble!

Print version, also available!

The Demon of Screamin' JonnyTyler's Avatar
    Easily a 10 for me!! I got Grayskull for Christmas right after I turned 5. The next year for my 6th birthday, I got Snake Mountain!!! It was all I asked for. My mom kept trying to suggest other things to me, but I kept telling her, "all I want is Snake Mountain." And to my surprise..., I got it that year for my birthday.

As soon as I opened it, I fell even deeper in love with it. My Dad had to work out of town that year, so my older brother helped me put it together. And by helped, I mean he pretty much put it together for me.... When it was all put together and ready to rock, I think I just sat there and looked at it for at least 5 minutes. It was/is so cool just to look at!!

I really loved that it had to be open to actually be playable. I mean Grayskull could be played with closed, or with just the draw bridge open, but Snake Mountain really didn't work at all closed up. And it was truelly a PLAYSET. By means of, you could work your way from the shackles( which, yes did break way too easy, but my Mom would scotch tape them back together for me every couple weeks), across the bridge(which was the most awesome thing I think I had ever seen back then, and that's prodominatley where Mer Man would be, waiting for any one of the heroes to come across), up the stairs to, what I referred to as, Evil-Lyn's landing, and then up to the top of the mountain to face off with Skeletor, and at the same time, fight off the giant snake striking down at you, until one of the other goons drops you INSIDE the Mountain!!! DUN DUN DUNNN!!!

And then from the inside you had to escape from the net, and then face off with a host of Skeletor's baddies that are hiding inside, instead of greeting you on the outside with the rest. Then to truelly escape, you had to find your way out of the tunnel, only to find yourself, right back outside where you started. And then sometimes the Fright Zone's monster would chase you out of the tunel. (anybody else ever use the Fright Zone puppet with thier Snke Mountain, or was I the only one?)

So who needed a video game back then, when you basically had a live action "Super Pit Fall" right at your finger tips. That's what's wrong with the youth of today. Everything is all about video games to them. They don't know how to actually play out adventures with themselves like we all used to. They need a Snake Mountain playset to turn them around. Especially if they played with it like I did, they wouldn't want a stupid video game, cause they'd realise they could have hours of great imagination building fun with out them.

So after going threw all my memories of this playset, it really made me remember all the fun I had with it. Even though I never really dug the wolf-head microphone( funny being a singer now, the only thing I didn't like back then was the microphone... wierd), it still looked cool, and really made this one of my all time favorite toys of my childhood.

Like I said EASILY a 10!

And if you have kids, who are zombies when it coms to video games, save them and yourself too, and get them off thier asses, and into thier toybox, or yours, and let them play with your old Snake Mountain. I tried this with my sisters kids(my nephews, 8 and 5), and they have thanked me everyday for it. They love all my old He-Man stuff. And I get a kick out of just watching them love it so much. And my sister is greatful to. And she even remembers me makeing her play He Man with me when we were little. She had a She Ra figure, and I would alway have her be the ladies of MOTU, and we always had a great time. She was/is older than me by about 2 1/2 years, so she would get bored faster than me, and leave, but she still has very fond memories of He Man with me, that she tells her boys about too.
    Last edited by JonnyTyler; January 3, 2008 at 08:14pm.

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JonnyTyler View Post

And if you have kids, who are zombies when it coms to video games, save them and yourself too, and get them off thier asses, and into thier toybox, or yours, and let them play with your old Snake Mountain. I tried this with my sisters kids(my nephews, 8 and 5), and they have thanked me everyday for it. They love all my old He-Man stuff. And I get a kick out of just watching them love it so much. And my sister is greatful to. And she even remembers me makeing her play He Man with me when we were little. She had a She Ra figure, and I would alway have her be the ladies of MOTU, and we always had a great time. She was/is older than me by about 2 1/2 years, so she would get bored faster than me, and leave, but she still has very fond memories of He Man with me, that she tells her boys about too.
    I totally agree with you here, I let my cousin (she's 7) play with my Snake Mountain and figures and she truly loves it. She makes up little stories and fight scenes etc. Much better than sitting and watching some Disney sitcom!

Back in the '80s, this was the only playset I ever played with. Snake is cool. Trap door is ok. Net is ok. And the chains I never saw intact until 2004.

But the mic, as others have said, was, and still is fun. Stickers made up a lot on this piece, although now when you think of it, an actual pit for example would've been nice.

We had combined more SNAKE MEN than any other segment of MotU (and threw in Mumm-ra as well), so the fortress was the best base for the epic battles against the ruling reptiles.
    "She-Ra, Princess of Power was no more. That had been the price of freedom."

Like many of us, one of my biggest critiques of the playset, was that it did not resemble the cartoon one. Now I'm not sure if that was Filmation ignoring Mattel's designs (don't know how far in advance they designed stuff) because they wanted to improve it, or Mattel ignoring Filmation's great design, but I suspect the latter. I could've accepted there being differences, because even the characters had some variance between the toys and the show, but there weren't any similarities! NONE!!! Not one element was carried over from the two designs, there was in fact not even a resemblance to any parts! No one can tell me that this is the same place. They could've called it BEAST MAN'S BARBECUE HUT for cryin' out loud.

But I'll leave that huge discrepancy out of my rating, and just grade it as a playset.

Outside Look:
    Not bad. I'm not sure why it has a huge carving of a Skeksis, but it looks cool. The detail work is very good with all the creepy roots that resemble claws, the disturbing, grotesque faces, and the great purple color scheme. They definitely dropped the ball when you got to top and saw those stupid heads. The wolf and snake looked like someone said "hey, we have these two other toys from another line; why don't we just jam 'em in there." Overall, I'd give the outside look an 8.

Outside Action Features:

These...
    Were....
    AWESOME!!!!
    It had more stuff to play with than Grayskull. The shackles were such a great touch, though I might've placed them inside the fortress. And the bridge connecting the two sides looked great and was one of the coolest features. The trapdoor was a fitting counterpart to the one in Grayskull, there were a few ledges to stand on, and I loved the little tunnel entrance. Solid 10.

Inside Look:

A couple of stickers. No other effort was put into the look inside. 2.

Inside Action Features:

What can I say? There weren't any!!! The only thing that almost qualifies is the net, which I consider an extension of the outside action feature's trapdoor. Oh, and that retarded wolf's head? Absolute crap. It changed your voice to sound like.... NO ONE!!! Even as a kid I could do a pretty good impression of SKELETOR, so why would I change my voice to sound like some non-existent character!? Stupid wolf's action feature was as out of place as its look. With all of the great features on the outside, you open it up to find almost no playability, not even a place for your villains to stand!!! The net was better than nothing though, so I'll give this a 5.

Since I grade these on a sliding scale based on importance to me, these scores somehow add up to:

My Final Score of the Playset:
    "I damned the world to save my daughter once... and I will do it for her again."
    I do custom action figures, commissioned art, and I will make any Masters of the Universe costume, tailored to you!
    View my website! http://www.havocstaff.50megs.com

This was a 10 for me. My only gripe was that it didn't look like the toon. It made up for it though with the play features it had.
    Mike Jr. 1983-2008 the void left will never be filled. Rest in Peace Brother.
    Sgt Weigand

eBay Feedback

" Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elswhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
    --Calvin and Hobbes

I give it a 6. Cartoon version was WAY cooler. I remember even as a kid thinking the giant face carved into the side of snake mountain was cheez (what the heck is that face anyway?) Looks like a deformed bird if you ask me. And something's not right when Grayskull looks way more evil than snake mountain...

7 for the playset
    10 for the box

... final score: 8

CASTILLO DE LA SERPIENTE

4-Wheeled Heroic Warrior Wheelor's Avatar
    I always thought it looked like an evil version of Gonzo from the Muppet show.
    Quote the Raven
    "Nevermore"

Quote Originally Posted by Raven View Post
    I always thought it looked like an evil version of Gonzo from the Muppet show.
    ...HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! YES!!!!!!!!

I like from the old Snake mountain-playset for many reasons. First of all, it has many fancy decorations, like the wolf-head and the trap-door thing. And of course the microfone and chains. But I always thought it would been better if there would have been for example Skeletor's throne or Evil-Lyn's laboratory. (Evil-Lyn should have her own castle!!)

Definite 8. 10 for the nostalgia, 6 for the actual execution of the playset. Average 8!

8 for playset and 8 for box, second only at the Castle of grayskull!

I used to love it when I was child.
    But it's disappointing compared to the Castle Grayskull.
    Too much empty inside.
    The gleam of the Power Sword lights your way as you enter the fantastic world of Eternia...

Perfect 10 in my book because I always wanted one and never got one. I still think its one of the best next to Greyskull.
    By the Power of Grey Skull!

just got my second one, the first i had when i was a kid, my mom cleaned my room, and it disapeared! my mom is not allowed anywhere near my room!