View Poll Results: Grizzlor opinion?

Voters
375. You may not vote on this poll
  • I love it! As far as I'm concerned, he's as good as he can get!

    139 37.07%
  • I really like him. I may have done a thing or two different, but he looks good.

    130 34.67%
  • Eh, neutral. Not really leaning one way or the other.

    44 11.73%
  • Sorry, don't really like him much. Not my thing.

    46 12.27%
  • Ehhh, can't stand him. Definitely not what I would have done.

    16 4.27%
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 221

Thread: Your opinion of Grizzlor? (updated with 4H reply)

  1. #1
    Demonlord of Evil Galmorzu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Connecticut, US
    Posts
    4,640

    Your opinion of Grizzlor? (updated with 4H reply)

    So what does everyone think of him? Personally I was a bit put off at first. Even though I still liked the design, I thought he looked a bit too scrawney. After sleeping on it I find I don't mind it anymore and I really like his look. And Scott said it best in the main thread when describing the face sculpt. Amazing work, and a lot of character in just his face alone. I really like him.

    I might still have made him a tad beefier looking, but overall I like what I see and I have a feeling for people outside of this board, who may not have seen him in the cartoon, he'll be very popular on store shelves.

    Oh, and big time points for the whole slaughterhouse-on-his-back thing. I really dig that.

    ------------
    (From JVS3

    Here is what the Four Horsemen have to say (in red) about critiques they have received:

    Dear Four Horsemen!

    I am a big MotU fan and I am very happy about the upcoming 6" Cold Cast figures, you will release, since Mattel gave up the toyline.
    However, I´ve seen the new Grizzlor Cold Cast, and I think this one could have been done better.

    Before we move on to each of your points, please read our response below (in red - it was also posted in another thread on this board), and then come back to this spot with a slightly better understanding of all things MotU.

    My humble opinion:

    1. He should be taller and more muscular. More bulky! However he should stand upright and not stoop like Beast man.

    Although our origninal design drawing had him standing more upright, that was only so the sculptor could see the chest symbol easily. We had always intended to make him an agile, savage, ape-like hunter who used only edged weapons to take down his prey. You don't yet have any idea how tall he'll be - the 2-up shots you saw were not yet Pantographed to the correct scale. He's not gigantic, but he's tall. He's not more bulky, because the original figure was not more bulky. The arms and legs on the original figure were actually some of the least muscular of the whole line. We actually DID bulk them up.

    2. The Plush should only cover his head, chest and maybe at his lumbar region, but his belly should not be covered with it. This will also support his bulky look.

    That's only if we were following designs done for the cartoon. We weren't. They were following OUR designs, and for some reason, they left the fur off of Grizzlor's belly. The original Grizzlor toy (and comic and cartoon versions) had fur covering his entire torso and head. So does ours.

    3. His face should be a bit more strung-out and he should bare his teeth with a pair of striking, long canine teeth from either lower AND upper jaw. His face-circlet should not cover his chin.

    Here's one of the minor changes that we mentioned in the other post (and they followed it in the new cartoon) we decided to make the canine style teeth coming from his bottom jaw instead of his top jaw. We like goofy stuff somtimes, but he just looked TOO goofy with them coming from the top jaw. Bad overbite. A pocket protector and a pair of broken horn-rimmed glasses would have sealed the deal. An the "face-circlet"? Yes, it should have, but for some reason it was neglected in the cartoon.

    4. He should have two large melee weapons, one for each hand:
    A long, jagged broadsword or a large hatchet and for the off-hand a huge morningstar like the Morgul-Lord of LOTR. Grizzlor also had a similar weapon in the Cartoon. This would also support a "pelvic thrust" actionfeature, if it was a real action-figure.

    We never mentioned that weapon to the MYP team. Don't know why it was included in the cartoon. Our original intent was for Grizzlor to use ONLY edged weapons (axes, swords, knives, bladed projectiles, etc.). Kind of a fetish of his (like the leather boots & gloves ).

    5. Thank you for your attention!

    No problem!

    Here, this is a step nearer to it:
    http://www.he-man.de/forum/files/grizzyaltered_203.jpg

    See? From the cartoon. Not our design.

    What most people seem to have trouble grasping here is that all of these new MotU cartoon images (Stinkor, Hordak, Grizzlor, etc.) they're posting were created from our original design drawings or from our original 2-up prototypes.

    If our designs had been followed more closely, this post wouldn't even have happened.

    Just in case you were unaware, we didn't base our designs for these characters on the new MotU cartoon. The cartoon based their designs on ours.

    What we've said MANY times still holds true...We didn't undertake the re-designing of MotU to throw out all of the old stuff from the original cartoons, mini-comics and card-backs. We're taking the best of all of that stuff (in our opinions) and combining all of the best parts in the best way we can, and updating it to today's standards.

    Of course there will be some minor changes here and there, but for the most part, we want to pay homage to what came before. NOT destroy it. It's what we've wanted to do all along, and we don't want to change that now.

    As for the complaints of Stinkor's orange loin-cloth or Grizzlor wearing leather boots and things of that nature? All we can say is, "Look to the past and you will know our future". The stuff that was slightly goofy about MotU way back when were also some of the things that made it cool and unique! There's no way we're leaving that stuff behind.

    In any case, we welcome any suggestions or questions you all might have, but please keep in mind what was posted here before you make them. You may answer your own questions before you even ask them.
    Last edited by Galmorzu; February 20, 2005 at 05:10pm.

  2. #2
    Collector of Toys JeMaBo2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    9,127
    He is my least favorite of all the statues, but overall still a cool statue.
    Masters of the Universe Fan for Life


    My Feedback:

    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...hlight=Jemabo2

  3. #3
    Equality Crusader H0GW1LD3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Dorchester, MA
    Posts
    653
    Agreed. I really don't like the real fur... I think it takes away from it. Overall, I'm not thrilled, but I'm very happy that there is going to be a Grizzlor, period, and I'll be buying one

  4. #4
    Heroic Warrior orcman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    TO, ON
    Posts
    431
    glad to know i'm not alone in this. i can't stand the old version and i still can't stand the new version. i'll still get him ... and trim his fur down a bit.

  5. #5
    Heroic Warrior Steph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    In the mitten.
    Posts
    3,331
    I hate to be a nah sayer, because I really wanted to like this staction (I had visions of get the "big" Horde 4), but don't like him. After some time and research, I've narrowed it down to my two critical complaints:



    1) Posture- I like drawings we have seen in the past with Grizzlor having more of an "upright" stance. The lowering of the head from above the shoulder line, to in front and hunched really bothers me. It make him look like a dumb brute. There is enough of those in the line already.

    2)Too much fur- Right of the bat, the idea real fur on Grizzlor doesn't bother me- I actual think it works. However, I think there is too much of a good thing going on here. Again, I like the pre-production sketches with the fur limited to the head and shoulders. The loin cloth can go either way (fur or sculpted), but by using the real fur, it makes me think that those are not undies- it's the real deal . Personally, I would love if the scraped the fur on the chest and lower torso- I really want to see the big horde symbol and abs.

    With that being said- I love the bow and the can-o-whoop-a@@ on his back. He needs more detailed boots-all Eternia's seem to have a decorative boot/shin guard fetish- Grizzlor should not be the exception here....
    Last edited by Steph; February 20, 2005 at 02:45pm.

  6. #6
    Hero of Eternia zodak74's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Point Dread
    Posts
    12,062
    I love him, and I'll tell you why!
    The Four Horsemen took the very basics of the classic figure and amped him up, gave him some subtle touches that actually enhance the original version and give him an all-new purpose. I look at the old Grizzlor and I see a monster-like puffball who wields a basic Horde crossbow and is probably good at growling a lot and stuff up with his sheer strength. Which is fine for the classic line. BUT... the 4H are having more fun with him for 2005. He still looks strong to me. Not an ounce of fat on this boy. He has a more sinewy appearance beneath the fur (which is wild and crazy-looking).
    I like the harness and imagine that yes- there is a red Horde bat under the fur somewhere. The loincloth bit with the teeth and stuff is creepy. I imagine this brute taking trophies from his prey. He also seems a bit more ancient and wiser than the Grizzlor Filmation gave us. He could have been hiding out in a cave for years before Hordak recruited him, you know? This version has a tribesman-gone-wild look to him, with the headgear giving him a somewhat regal look. The armbands, gauntlet and boots are a cool touch. He's from the wild but a tad sophisticated too. This Grizzlor is probably an expert hunter- look at the variety of barbaric cutlery he carries on his back! Sweet! Definitely the stuff campfire tales are made of Another class-act design I'm digging is the use of wood in the crossbow. I think each and every Hordemember will have the trademark crossbow, but with a little touch that will make it unique to that particular warrior. I'm looking forward to seeing what Mantenna, Leech, etc. are going to carry!
    Mattel probably would have had the Horsemen techno-up Grizzlor for an action figure, giving him some sort of rocket-launcher or finger-flick missle instead of an axe or knives. Techno is not the way to go... the Horsemen have gone back to MOTU's more barbaric beginnings and given us fans a hairy henchman worth celebrating
    Last edited by Havoc; February 20, 2005 at 01:52pm.
    Must-Haves in 2015: Lord Masque, Quakke, Sagitar, Negator, Peekablue, Granita, Dragstor, Crita, Prahvus, Classic Toy Costume Catra Vs. Starburst She-Ra

  7. #7
    Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    Penny Dreadful's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Massachusetts, US
    Posts
    3,263
    Quote Originally Posted by zodak74
    ... the Horsemen have gone back to MOTU's more barbaric beginnings and given us fans a hairy henchman worth celebrating
    I absolutely agree with you zodak74. Grizzlor is perfect. The Horsemen are getting a chance to do these characters without too much interference from Mattel with regards to rocket launcher junk accessories, the way they look, etc. Hopefully Mattel lets the 4H do things their own way for this whole line. I can't see how Grizzlor or Stinkor (or any of the others we've seen so far) could look any cooler IMO.

    ~Pennypunk~

  8. #8
    booster
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by zodak74
    I love him, and I'll tell you why!
    The Four Horsemen took the very basics of the classic figure and amped him up, gave him some subtle touches that actually enhance the original version and give him an all-new purpose. I look at the old Grizzlor and I see a monster-like puffball who wields a basic Horde crossbow and is probably good at growling a lot and f-ing stuff up with his sheer strength. Which is fine for the classic line. BUT... the 4H are having more fun with him for 2005. He still looks strong to me. Not an ounce of fat on this boy. He has a more sinewy appearance beneath the fur (which is wild and crazy-looking).
    I like the harness and imagine that yes- there is a red Horde bat under the fur somewhere. The loincloth bit with the teeth and stuff is creepy. I imagine this brute taking trophies from his prey. He also seems a bit more ancient and wiser than the Grizzlor Filmation gave us. He could have been hiding out in a cave for years before Hordak recruited him, you know? This version has a tribesman-gone-wild look to him, with the headgear giving him a somewhat regal look. The armbands, gauntlet and boots are a cool touch. He's from the wild but a tad sophisticated too. This Grizzlor is probably an expert hunter- look at the variety of barbaric cutlery he carries on his back! Sweet! Definitely the stuff campfire tales are made of Another class-act design I'm digging is the use of wood in the crossbow. I think each and every Hordemember will have the trademark crossbow, but with a little touch that will make it unique to that particular warrior. I'm looking forward to seeing what Mantenna, Leech, etc. are going to carry!
    Mattel probably would have had the Horsemen techno-up Grizzlor for an action figure, giving him some sort of rocket-launcher or finger-flick missle instead of an axe or knives. Techno is not the way to go... the Horsemen have gone back to MOTU's more barbaric beginnings and given us fans a hairy henchman worth celebrating

    totally agree with you..

    i think he is awesome and if he were to appear in the cartoon (other than that split sec image we got of him) im sure he would have looked like the way the 4hm have sculpted him...

    he is my number 1 priority as soon as the stactions are on sale...

  9. #9
    Hero of Eternia zodak74's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Point Dread
    Posts
    12,062
    Another thing I think a lot of people have complained about is the fact that he's got boots on but is this kinda hairy beast-like being ("It makes no sense!" I hear them cry... LOL). I like MOTU because of it's wierd hybrid nature. Grizzlor's not totally one way or the other, but a mixture. That's the fun of He-Man, and I think a lot of people tend to forget that!
    Must-Haves in 2015: Lord Masque, Quakke, Sagitar, Negator, Peekablue, Granita, Dragstor, Crita, Prahvus, Classic Toy Costume Catra Vs. Starburst She-Ra

  10. #10
    Heroic Warrior sgreg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    532
    i think 4H did a good job on Grizzlor. i don't understand why many people dislike it. however, the pic we saw is only the 2up, the final product might be different. many people might change their feeling about it after they see the final product.

  11. #11
    Heroic Sloth ripclaw923's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    624
    I can't see what everyone is complaining about. The new Grizzlor looks like the vintage one that we are all used to, but now he is slimmer with a butt-load of sweet weapons. So get off of the 4H's back and let them continue to make a fanboy happy.

  12. #12
    Hero of Eternia zodak74's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Point Dread
    Posts
    12,062
    Quote Originally Posted by sgreg
    i think 4H did a good job on Grizzlor. i don't understand why many people dislike it. however, the pic we saw is only the 2up, the final product might be different. many people might change their feeling about it after they see the final product.

    Great... I'll hate the finalized version when I see it at Suncoast! j/k...
    Must-Haves in 2015: Lord Masque, Quakke, Sagitar, Negator, Peekablue, Granita, Dragstor, Crita, Prahvus, Classic Toy Costume Catra Vs. Starburst She-Ra

  13. #13
    MOTU Mini-Masters! Sllohcin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Camden East, Canada
    Posts
    3,332
    Quote Originally Posted by zodak74
    Another thing I think a lot of people have complained about is the fact that he's got boots on but is this kinda hairy beast-like being ("It makes no sense!" I hear them cry... LOL). I like MOTU because of it's wierd hybrid nature. Grizzlor's not totally one way or the other, but a mixture. That's the fun of He-Man, and I think a lot of people tend to forget that!
    I think you missed the major argument (in my opinion) of why some people don't care for Grizzlor. The main argument is that the behemoth Grizzlor of old that people liked is not what we're getting. Personally, I didn't like Grizzlor when I first saw him. I thought the direction the 4H went was a little too different from what I was expecting. Am I one of those guys or gals that needs to have a near replica of the classic figure? No... not at all. I just always saw him as the brute (ie. Clawful) of the Horde and this version comes off more as a tracker/hunter (which they wanted.) The sculpt itself is awesome as is the concept. He just seems a bit too thin to be the strongman of the group (which he may not be anymore.)

    BTW - When I looked at him again this morning, I realized that I do like him. I guess it just needed to sink in - he's still not what I was expecting but I do like him.
    Last edited by Sllohcin; February 20, 2005 at 01:47pm.
    "A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."

    My DeviantART

  14. #14
    Grew up on a horse Baena's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    9,718
    I choose the second option.
    I do love the ideas that are put into his design, and the fur is growing on me...
    Did I just type that?

    I'll just hold final judgment until I have him in my hands and can see how well that fur works on the 6" statue.

    I think he'll look great next to Hordak, and I can't wait to see if they do Leech and Mantenna as well as some of the other hordesmen.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

  15. #15
    Overlord of Evil! Megatron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    950
    I really like him, he could've done with being a bit bigger built, and maybe scultped hair ala Beastman rather than fur.

    But I'm not that picky, I still think he looks awesome and I will be buying him no doubt .

    Stinkor is also awesome.

    Thanks again Four Horseman you guys really rock!

    You work is greatly appreciated, atleast from me it is.

  16. #16
    Hero of Eternia zodak74's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Point Dread
    Posts
    12,062
    Quote Originally Posted by Sllohcin
    I think you missed the major argument (in my opinion) of why some people don't care for Grizzlor. The main argument is that the behemoth Grizzlor of old that people liked is not what we're getting. Personally, I didn't like Grizzlor when I first saw him. I thought the direction the 4H went was a little too different from what I was expecting. Am I one of those guys or gals that needs to have a near replica of the classic figure? No... not at all. I just always saw him as the brute (ie. Clawful) of the Horde and this version comes off more as a tracker/hunter (which they wanted.) The sculpt itself is awesome as is the concept. He just seems a bit too thin to be the strongman of the group (which he may not be anymore.)

    Totally understand your point
    It's hard for a lot of people, because we're not seeing these figures as complete "waves" like with the toys. I think if we saw Grizzlor next to his fellow Hordesmen like Leech and Mantenna, we would get a better feel for what the Four Horsemen are going for with this new Horde! I think Leech might be the muscle nowadays...
    Must-Haves in 2015: Lord Masque, Quakke, Sagitar, Negator, Peekablue, Granita, Dragstor, Crita, Prahvus, Classic Toy Costume Catra Vs. Starburst She-Ra

  17. #17
    Heroic Eternian Actor Master_Of_Metropolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    676
    I really like Grizzlor--the details are what make him. The weapons are awsome, but things like the tribal beads on his loin cloth and the face armor setting off his beady little eyes--I think it's awsome! The fur is wild, definately--but that's what makes him Grizzlor, in my opinion.

    I say great job 4H!!


  18. #18
    I'm Anime Hyper-Detailed Battle_Brak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    1,285
    There's a couple of things I would have done different, but unlike the rest of you I think the fur is awesome. My main issue was I expected him to be bulkier. I was expecting him to be huge (in the sense of bulk not height). So when I first saw the staction it looked scrawny. I kinda like the fact that he looks like a deranged spider-monkey though, and it's growing on me.

  19. #19
    Heroic Warrior bigtbone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    193
    Quote Originally Posted by ripclaw923
    I can't see what everyone is complaining about. The new Grizzlor looks like the vintage one that we are all used to, but now he is slimmer with a butt-load of sweet weapons. So get off of the 4H's back and let them continue to make a fanboy happy.
    I haven't seen anyone "complaining" or inappropriately criticizing the 4H. There is absolutely nothing wrong with people constructively giving their opinions on what they may or may not like about a new figure.
    "Strength and Honor"

    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

  20. #20
    Pretty Handsome Awkward motubot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    1,511
    I have started liking Grizzlor more and more since I saw the pictures of him on the front page. But my favorites for this series are Snout Spout and Stinkor. I will try and buy all of these stactions, if I can't find them I may order online.

  21. #21
    Heroic Warrior Marvelous0ne's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Outside of Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    6,512
    I don't know what to think. One hand I think he is cool. But then, I hate the idea of the real fur on him. I know it's to keep with the way the original figure was done and all. But, All I see is the fur getting messed up and fall out and what not. It's a shame there wasn't a way for the Four Horsemen could have made 2 versions. of him. I'm sure there are some who would perfer a furless one right?
    "I mark the hours every one, Nor have I yet outrun the Sun. My use & value unto you, are gauged by what you have to do."
    Enscribed onto Hermione Granger's Time Turner from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

  22. #22
    Master of Backwards! Backwards Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Regina, Sk.
    Posts
    2,032
    Quote Originally Posted by ripclaw923
    I can't see what everyone is complaining about. The new Grizzlor looks like the vintage one that we are all used to, but now he is slimmer with a butt-load of sweet weapons. So get off of the 4H's back and let them continue to make a fanboy happy.
    They are trying to kill the line by telling people how crappy it is so non-He-fans won't buy it...BRAVO guys!

  23. #23
    big weapon
    Guest
    I like him from the waist down. I have to say Grizzlor is one of the few 4H sculpts that I don't consider "awesome". He's still good though, just that we've come to expect such a high level from them that somehow he just doesn't live up to the rest of the line.

    2 main issues:

    First - I think he can be way larger. Much taller, much broader. I love the savage 'wild-man' slant that he has now, but after all he still is a grizzly bear, so he should be more brute than sinewy athletic.

    Second - The hair still doesn't cut it for some reason. To me the original grizzlor looked like a cute fuzzball rather than some evil beast to be feared, and the new one hasn't seemed to shake that image. I don't know if it'd be better to use different fur, maybe harder grizzly fur rather than soft troll hair that's good for stroking.

    Other than that I have no issue with him. Love the weapons, especially his bigger meaner crossbow.

  24. #24
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    704
    I think he is really amazing. I LOVE his wooden crossbow and his size and i'm actually not too bothered by the real fur. My only small complaint which makes him not my fav out of the statues is that his facial expression is too calm and non-menacing.
    Best,
    E.Phoenix

  25. #25
    Make Prahvus please!! marndt8448's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Rideau Lakes, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    3,722
    I think Grizzlor looks awesome. I love the use of the real fur, and the added armor around his face is a nice touch too. I can't wait to buy him.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •