View Poll Results: How do you rate the vintage Clamp Champ figure? (with 10 being the best)

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 point

2 11.76%
  • 2 points

0 0%
  • 3 points

1 5.88%
  • 4 points

0 0%
  • 5 points

0 0%
  • 6 points

4 23.53%
  • 7 points

2 11.76%
  • 8 points

4 23.53%
  • 9 points

1 5.88%
  • 10 points

3 17.65%

Thread: Clamp Champ vintage figure review thread

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar

Clamp Champ vintage figure review thread

Well, the regular figure reviews have had a little break over Christmas while we looked at Snake Mountain.
    But now it's New Year, and so back to the figure reviews, starting with the notably only black character from the line, CLAMP CHAMP.

Released with the final wave of figures, Clamp Champ was the "Heroic Master of Capture". Although it was a standard twist-waist figure, the feature of the toy was its grabbing accessory, which claws could clamp open and shut with a press of the button on top.

The figure was typical of the final wave in that it went back to the feel of the first couple of waves in that it was more humanoid-based instead of a creature. The figure itself also was just a basic-spring waist, again another note of the last wave going back to the earlier feel.
    Clamp Champ's armor was a recycling of Fisto's.

CC featured a bit in late annuals and UK Marvel comics. Although I generally wasn't as interested in the late figures, I kind of liked how he was more of a regular character, not a gimmicky creature.

Clamp Champ was released too late for me to have one originally (although, bizarrely, I did purchase a Gwildor from the wave!).
    Although I had a nude on early on in my 'serious' collection, a complete, mint Clamp Champ was one of the last figures I got for my collection.

There was no 200x Clamp Champ figure or appearance in the MYP cartoon, but we did get a staction. As with many 200x revamps, it gently updates the vintage figure, but not too radically, keeping the feel of the vintage version.

All-in-all, I give Clamp Champ an average 7 out of 10.

So there are my own thoughts, now I'd like to hear your own comments, thoughts, memories etc. And don't forget to rate the vintage figure in the poll!
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

The classic was a great figure. I loved that he fit in so well with the 81, 82, 83 figures. The weapon was big and gimmicky, but still looked cool. The staction was a nice looking figure too. The only thing I didn't like was all the clear tubes on his arms and legs. I ended up cutting them off of the staction, and he looks much better (more like the classic toy).
    Last edited by Captain Atkin; February 4, 2008 at 04:17pm.

The Demon of Screamin' JonnyTyler's Avatar
    I gave Clamp Champ an 8.

I never had him as a kid, and still to this day don't. I haven't come across one that I would consider reasonable enough to purchase. He's so damned exspensive. But he is pretty high on my want/need list.

I gave him an 8 simply because he was a simple figure. Just like Spacedust said, the last wave was hinting back at the simpler days of MOTU, and I loved that about ALL the last series figures. My favorite era for MOTU was the first 3 waves, and the last series was truelly harkoning back to that. I don't have any childhood memories of Clampy, but I did have everybody else from that wave(wierd...) except him, and I loved all the others, so even without having him in my grubby little hands, I still give him an 8.

I gave him a 6, but I think my grading system is a little tougher than most others and I should have compensated for that. I give him props for being the only black character, but obviously his weapon is what scores him points. I think my clamp champ was always ****ed because every other character had to borrow his weapon when I was little, haha. Did that weapon have an official name to it?

Heroic Warrior
    I liked Clamp Champ a lot and was sorry he didn't get a chance to appear in the animated series. I thought he was a great action figure with a classic, if simple, design. CC's weapon was a little gimmicky, so I left it off to the side when I would have him mix it up with the bad guys. I gave him a 9.
    "Tri-Klops, Master of Vision. I will need your gamma vision to see around EPA guidelines!"

-Skeletor, evil master of Housing and Urban Development

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    Clamp Champ was an OK figure, I never owned one, but my friend had one and I remember he bought to to school and it got stolen, but got returned at the end of the day with missing armor!

I've got one now, minus weapon, I like how he fits in with the older figure style (old sculpt, fisto armor, swinging waist.

The staction is a HUGE improvement, I love the techno armor, not keen on the tubes though.

Figure Rating - 6/10

Yup! I have a loose Clamp Champ too. Anyone has a spare claw? I don't have any...

I gave him a 10. He was a good looking figure and he was part of the 87 line. That will always be one of my favorite waves.
    Mike Jr. 1983-2008 the void left will never be filled. Rest in Peace Brother.
    Sgt Weigand

eBay Feedback

" Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elswhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
    --Calvin and Hobbes

Quote Originally Posted by Bowhead Whale View Post
    Yup! I have a loose Clamp Champ too. Anyone has a spare claw? I don't have any...
    Me too. I have been trying to get one for a while. I have a loose mint Champ, but no Clamp.

But I love the figure. I like the human figures quite a bit. I’ve always thought of him as something of a protector of the royal family because of the Search for Keldor mini comic. I picture him as a Palace Guard who excelled and was brought only with Randor or Adam when Teela was busy or something...

Anyway, I like him. 10 out of 10 for me. Cool weapon and I have a soft spot for the humans. Plus I gave mine a sword that come with some knock off figure and he looks great with it.

Oh! And I totally agree about cutting away those silly plastic tubes on the staction. Those things were really cumbersome and a horrible idea. Can you imagine what a liability he would be in battle because of those things? Besides that, they'd get hung up on things when he walked around just in day to day life.

Other than that, I'm a fan of the staction too and never understood the CC hate that I've heard from several folks here on the org.
    Click on Amazon or Barnes and Noble for a free sample of my first book, Paradigm Shift Saga: Malediction!

A short story of monsters and magic!