Thread: Snake-folk designs

The babe with The Power Slackbot's Avatar

Snake-folk designs

I've got some plotbunnies multiplying in my head for a story about Snake Men. Well, not The Snake Men as in the army that followed King Hsss, but the race, and in particular a group that call themselves Ophidians. (Has that been used before?) As usual, I'm trying to bring it into focus with some drawings, this time just character designs.

The idea is that these are contemporary descendants of the original Snake Men, or those who were contemporary at the time that the Snake Men were crammed into Limbo... aargh, you know what I mean, they were never in the can. There's a bit of variety between individuals, but they all look like people that evolved from dinosaurs as opposed to humans with snakelike traits. They do have their own skills and gimmicks, though, and what they got they'll use.

This one is a gartersnake-variety Ophidian who has yet to evolve a name. Nothing in the way of armor; the coppery doodads are pretty much just for adornment. The loincloth is there out of deference to other Eternians' sense of modesty; most humanoids tend to get flinchy if that region is visible, even if there ain't nothing to see but scales. (Look at a snake or lizard - 'nuff said.)

Anyhow, I'm looking for feedback and suggestions, and I'll post more pics as I get 'em done.

Castle Numbskull
    Masters of The Universe stuff you won't find anywhere else.
    Thank goodness.

Asp'r the Contrarian SnakeMenPriest's Avatar
    I believe that the only time the word "Ophidian" was used was: for a structure was in 1 MYP He-Man episode (which He-Man destroyed at the end of the episode).

That is a rather interesting concept though.

--Asp'r
    In Kansas, it is a crime to eat rattlesnake meat in public.
    You are upsetting the blessing of the Snake God. ALL HAIL RATTLOR!!

Check out 2-bad's Original epic: Origins of The SnakeMen!

SnakeMenPriest: Hmm, I don't remember that structure. Do you remember which episode it was in? Did it have any connection to the Snake Men?

And here's another critter. I remember deciding not to make any "schtick" characters, so right away I go and make one. Kamil, a "spy" type, has the ability to change the color of her scales. This is quite useful when you want to go somewhere without people freaking out about being invaded by Snake Men. To this end, her claws are cut short, so under gloves you wouldn't notice anything was amiss until you counted fingers. (Gloves with a stuffed pinkie? Might be awkward unless you're at a tea party.) She can also walk flat-footed for a more humanlike gait, but probably has to use a brace to hold her feet in shape, and that's gotta be bloody uncomfortable. She's also gotten the hang of speaking without exaggerating sibilants, so hissing speech is not a giveaway.

The ability to change color doesn't confer the ability to change shape, however. Covering up that face may be a problem, unless the aliens from "V" want to share their special effects. Otherwise, it's veils, cowls, masks, Ray-Bans, whatever. Or perhaps pretending to be a really young, scrawny Caligar.

Kamil prefers not to wear much in the way of adornment, possibly because it'd be a pain to remove a bunch of doodads to don a disguise.

Last edited by Slackbot; January 10, 2008 at 01:14pm.
    Castle Numbskull
    Thank goodness.

It was the MYP episode "Second Skin". It probably did have ties to the SnakeMen, but it didn't last long in the episode.

Nice concept and design of Kamil, but what do you mean by Schtick? Does the first Ophidian have a gender?

--Asp'r

Quote Originally Posted by SnakeMenPriest View Post
    It was the MYP episode "Second Skin". It probably did have ties to the SnakeMen, but it didn't last long in the episode.
    I'll rewatch that ep. I'm in the process of rewatching the Snake Men eps again anyway; I'll need the refresher if I'm going to deal with these critters with any degree of competence.
    Nice concept and design of Kamil, but what do you mean by Schtick? Does the first Ophidian have a gender?
    By "schtick" I mean some trait that basically defines the character's function and is reflected in their name. Beast Man is bestial and can control animals; Tung Lashor has a long, whiplike tongue; Ram Man bashes into things headfirst. I don't plan to create anything like that. It just doesn't click with me. Some characters will have special abilities, but not to the usual "super power" degree, and they'll have names rather than titles.

The first ophidian very likely has a gender, as neuter individuals are an evolutionary dead end. He or she also has a name, but heck if I know what it is yet. Since snakes are not mammalian, I imagine it's hard to tell the males from the females unless you're a reptile yourself. Say, how about this title: "Rise of The Snake Women"?
    Castle Numbskull
    Thank goodness.

...Aaaand here's another.

This one's named Kurokassan. She used to be a warrior. With that bod it's kind of inevitable that she would be. Now she's passed her prime and is an Ophidian matriarch. The funky doodads and claw coverings she's wearing are purely for adornment, as they'd be useless in battle. They proclaim that the wearer has lived through a career as a successful warrior, and is due some respect already. And is not past the age at which she can dish it out to disrespectful whippersnappers. She just no longer needs to.

(Yeah, I have some specific stuff in mind for her. Hmm, I think she's about Rattlor's size...)

This is not a finished design. Well, none of them are, but this is VERY not finished. I'm going to harden her face, especially around the mouth, and give her some sort of neck-and-shoulder deal that doesn't look like Yogi Bear's collar and necktie. Eesh!

Castle Numbskull
    Thank goodness.

Quote Originally Posted by Slackbot View Post

This one's named Kurokassan. She used to be a warrior. With that bod it's kind of inevitable that she would be. Now she's passed her prime and is an Ophidian matriarch. The funky doodads and claw coverings she's wearing are purely for adornment, as they'd be useless in battle. They proclaim that the wearer has lived through a career as a successful warrior, and is due some respect already. And is not past the age at which she can dish it out to disrespectful whippersnappers. She just no longer needs to.

(Yeah, I have some specific stuff in mind for her. Hmm, I think she's about Rattlor's size...)

This is not a finished design. Well, none of them are, but this is VERY not finished. I'm going to harden her face, especially around the mouth, and give her some sort of neck-and-shoulder deal that doesn't look like Yogi Bear's collar and necktie. Eesh!

These are some very pretty designs, Kim! Thanks for sharing them.
    The former Glass Shrimp also known as See-Shell

Interesting style slackbot
    Very nice job
    http://galvatronartstuff.blogspot.com/

Check My Fan Characters
    -------------------------------------------
    Press here to see Houndor
    Press here to see Aetheron

Movie mayhem!
    I really like your latest snake person! Great stuff here. :-)

Thanks, guys!

Doing these pictures really is helping bring this story into focus in my mind. While I draw a character I focus on his or her personality and role, and possibilities start coming to mind, and that's when stories start to crystallize. I might actually be able to write a MOTU story about people who are big and scaly rather than tiny and blue. To quote Iago from Aladdin, "Oh, there's a big surprise. That's an incredible... I think I'm going to have a heart attack and die from that surprise!"

Now I need to go back and rewatch all of Season 2. Man, it's a good thing I don't have to wait for BCI to put out the DVDs. The working title for this, by the way, is "Hissistrata." (Ew. I'll try to think up something better.)
    Last edited by Slackbot; January 18, 2008 at 05:51pm.
    Castle Numbskull
    Thank goodness.

Quote Originally Posted by Slackbot
    I'll rewatch that ep. I'm in the process of rewatching the Snake Men eps again anyway; I'll need the refresher if I'm going to deal with these critters with any degree of competence.
    By "schtick" I mean some trait that basically defines the character's function and is reflected in their name. Beast Man is bestial and can control animals; Tung Lashor has a long, whiplike tongue; Ram Man bashes into things headfirst. I don't plan to create anything like that. It just doesn't click with me. Some characters will have special abilities, but not to the usual "super power" degree, and they'll have names rather than titles.

The first ophidian very likely has a gender, as neuter individuals are an evolutionary dead end. He or she also has a name, but heck if I know what it is yet. Since snakes are not mammalian, I imagine it's hard to tell the males from the females unless you're a reptile yourself. Say, how about this title: "Rise of The Snake Women"?
    Ahhh, that all makes sense. I'm guessing the first Ophidian is a male, but I could be wrong. You and I do agree about the reptilian aspect, too :P

Yogi Bear If she is an elder, maybe she's a leader of the Ophidians now.

Doing these pictures really is helping bring this story into focus in my mind. While I draw a character I focus on his or her personality and role, and possibilities start coming to mind, and that's when stories start to crystallize. I might actually be able to write a MOTU story about people who are big and scaly rather than tiny and blue.

Now I need to go back and rewatch all of Season 2. Man, it's a good thing I don't have to wait for BCI to put out the DVDs. The working title for this, by the way, is "Hissistrata." (Ew. I'll try to think up something better.)
    "Rise of the Snake Women" sounds better You don't really see Snake Women in the MYP toon, and I'd be interested in reading an Ophidian Story

--Asp'r

Quote Originally Posted by SnakeMenPriest View Post
    Ahhh, that all makes sense. I'm guessing the first Ophidian is a male, but I could be wrong. You and I do agree about the reptilian aspect, too :P
    The first Ophidian could be either; I'll have to see what happens when I get the story firmed up. And I'm pleasantly surprised - I was expecting to take some flack because of the lack of mammalian attributes, but that doesn't seem to have bothered anyone.
    Yogi Bear If she is an elder, maybe she's a leader of the Ophidians now.
    Yeah, that's what I have in mind. I figure that even if they don't have some formal criteria she'd be their de facto leader because, well, she's the one they'll follow. Possibly because she's mother or grandmother to a lot of them, and a fearsome old broad to the rest.
    You don't really see Snake Women in the MYP toon, and I'd be interested in reading an Ophidian Story
    Thanks, I hope to write one worth reading! I've had a bit of a problem going over the old eps; those DVDs cause my regular DVD players to malfunction. They play all right in my portable DVD player, though - which only plays DVDs in 16:9, so they are squished and hard to watch. (Yes, I've messed around with the Setup options extensively. It seems to be a defect with that player.)
    Castle Numbskull
    Thank goodness.

Here be an inspirational picture. The art ain't great, but it did help be firm up the scene that'll take place there. The statue is supposed to be standing in a relaxed attitude, but it just looks bowlegged to us flatfoots. Still, if you'd just laid an egg that size you'd be bowlegged too.

Looks like the nameless brown Ophidian in my first post will be a male. I've nearly got the outline done and the characters plugged into place. Still have to divvy up the lines and stuff between the non-Khan Snake Men, but before I do that I have to figure out which ones are even usable for this story. (Not Snake Face, he'd unbalance everything, please say he's stuck in a museum somewhere!)

It's a .BAT to find reference material for the Snake Men. What do Hsss's feet look like? Frag if I can find out. What I wouldn't give for some leaked model sheets. And my portable DVD player stutters horribly when it tries to play my season 2 DVDs. Argh.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Castle Numbskull
    Thank goodness.

Slackbot: i love the world-building that's going on here. and the fact that you're drawing anthropomorphic non-mammalian females w/ appropriately non-mammalian attributes is a very cool, more 'realistic' take, that we don't get to see very often in genre fiction.

Quote Originally Posted by Slackbot View Post
    The working title for this, by the way, is "Hissistrata." (Ew. I'll try to think up something better.)
    am i the only one who gets that pun here besides you? i remember really enjoying reading "lysistrata" when i was in college, so i think "hissistrata" is a good title... you should at least keep it for a character name?
    Visit my sketchblog at its new URL: JASONBOT.com!

Bootleg - thanks, I'm glad you like my spin on the Ophidians. I can be very left-brained when dealing with "alien races," likely because I read a lot of hard science fiction, and my favorite author is Larry Niven. He created some of the niftiest weirdie alien races anywhere, and they made perfect sense when you finally understood them. (I'm currently reading The Mote in God's Eye. Wonderful stuff!)

The title "Hissistrata" will unfortunately have to go, as it doesn't suit the tone of the story. I hate to discard an obscure pun, but that's the way it goes. "Rise of The Snake Women" will give people a better idea what the story's about anyway.

I've finished the first draft, and am now editing the living daylights out of that and "Souls," the other story I'm working on. Here's a quick doodle I did on break at work...

Attached Images Attached Images
    Castle Numbskull
    Thank goodness.

Here's three posts rolled together & edited rather than serial post to this thread...

I've posted the story that arose from these pictures, Rise of The Snake Women, in the fanfic forum. Read it! Er, if you want to, of course. I've tried to make it as close as I could to the spirit of the regular series. Alas, Orko and Dree Elle were on vacation during this story, so we had to do without the comic relief this time around.

I've already written a followup to ROTSM, and it's a pretty ambitious story for me. Again, I was trying to write in the spirit of the series, this time taking a motif from a Filmation story that was never echoed in the MYP series, but which I felt, given enough time, would have been. So, I took it and ran. Hmm, scratch ambitious, maybe "hubristic" is a more fitting term.

Anyhow, here's another Ophidian, this one from "Blade of The Sword," which is the working title for the story I'm working on. He's not much to look at, is he? I can't even make him look old, as age doesn't show that well on scaled critters.

(Picture omitted, and with good reason)

I've thrown out the previous pic of Natrix 'cause it just kept looking worse and worse to me. Instead, here's an updated version with a different kind of stripiness...

Let'cha in on a secret: When I write I'm never that confident. If I try to write a decent first draft I get stopped cold by a writer's block the size of the 2001 monolith. To get out from behind that I splatter down a first draft that is a total mess, and then I go back and, over a month or two, I take 5 to 7 drafts to beat it into shape and then sand down the rough spots. That's relevant to this thread because my approach to character design is similar. I'll draw something, and it'll look ai'ight, and soon it'll look terrible to me and I'll need to work on it some more. But with drawing, a little revision often means redrawing the whole stoopid thing. And I'm rarely satisfied with the end product. I can envision much better than I can draw. I guess that's why I'm a better fic writer than an artist. And why I welcome feedback; it can help jolt things loose for me when I just can't see things objectively anymore.

Enough of that! Here's a bleedin' cool pic of Kurokassan drawn by the lovely and talented Super-Munkyboy. She may not look feminine to the human eye, but that doesn't mean she doesn't act like a lady!

I love it when other people draw my characters. This one was done for a DeviantArt 10-sketch meme thing. I lucked out and got my request in just before the line was capped.
    Last edited by Slackbot; March 20, 2008 at 02:01pm.
    Castle Numbskull
    Thank goodness.