View Poll Results: How do you rate the vintage Gwildor figure? (with 10 being the best)

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 point

4 10.00%
  • 2 points

0 0%
  • 3 points

2 5.00%
  • 4 points

7 17.50%
  • 5 points

3 7.50%
  • 6 points

7 17.50%
  • 7 points

0 0%
  • 8 points

4 10.00%
  • 9 points

1 2.50%
  • 10 points

12 30.00%

Thread: Gwildor vintga figure review

Threaded View

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar

Gwildor vintage figure review

(EXCUSE THE TYPO IN THE THREAD TYPO - NOT USED TO TYPING ON A LAPTOP)

For this week's vintage figure review, let’s look at one of the late-released figures that tied in with the 1987 movie. The creator of the Cosmic Key, GWILDOR.

Gwildor was introduced in the 1987 movie, and was a pretty obvious big-screen replacement for Orko, at a time when computer effects were fairly basic and very expensive, making it impossible to bring everyone's favourite court jester to the big screen within the budget.

As seen in some of the early concept drawings that have turned up in various threads, Gwildor was originally much more alien-looking, with He-Man carrying him around on his back for much of the story. In the end, he turned out much more dwarf-like.

The figure of Gwildor almost looks like it belongs to a different toy-line. A big, bulky head, a bulbous body, and two little feet stuck underneath.

Gwildor came about way too late to ever appear in any Filmation version, but if he had, I can really see him fitting in there, especially in 'She-Ra: Princess of Power'.

Gwildor was one of (if not the) last figure of the original line that I bought. Saurods were pretty uncommon in local toy shops, but I can't believe that I chose him over Blade!
    I think I bought him because he made me laugh in the film (hey, I was a kid at the time!!), so wanted the figure. But he quickly became one of my least favourite figures, often staying at the bottom of the container that I kept my figures in, or at most being first in line for the Evil Warriors to beat up on.

Then there was the mini-comic that came with Gwildor and the other Movie Figures - the terrible "The Cosmic Key". A story that completely conflicted with the movie, and one of the lamest mini-comic stories even beyond that, "The Cosmic Key" is by far my least favourite of the mini-comics.

There has been no 200x revamp to date. Although he's not a classic character, I wouldn't mind seeing what a revamp could do to the character.

All-in-all, not a classic figure. I give Gwildor a lowly 4 out of 10. I liked him in the movie, but the figure isn't that good.

---

Now I'd really like to hear your own thoughts and memories on the figure.
    And whether you post or not, don't forget to rate the vintage figure in the poll!
    Last edited by Spacedust; January 19, 2008 at 08:10am. Reason: typo
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...