View Poll Results: How do you rate the vintage Gwildor figure? (with 10 being the best)

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 point

4 10.00%
  • 2 points

0 0%
  • 3 points

2 5.00%
  • 4 points

7 17.50%
  • 5 points

3 7.50%
  • 6 points

7 17.50%
  • 7 points

0 0%
  • 8 points

4 10.00%
  • 9 points

1 2.50%
  • 10 points

12 30.00%

Thread: Gwildor vintga figure review

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar

Gwildor vintage figure review

(EXCUSE THE TYPO IN THE THREAD TYPO - NOT USED TO TYPING ON A LAPTOP)

For this week's vintage figure review, let’s look at one of the late-released figures that tied in with the 1987 movie. The creator of the Cosmic Key, GWILDOR.

Gwildor was introduced in the 1987 movie, and was a pretty obvious big-screen replacement for Orko, at a time when computer effects were fairly basic and very expensive, making it impossible to bring everyone's favourite court jester to the big screen within the budget.

As seen in some of the early concept drawings that have turned up in various threads, Gwildor was originally much more alien-looking, with He-Man carrying him around on his back for much of the story. In the end, he turned out much more dwarf-like.

The figure of Gwildor almost looks like it belongs to a different toy-line. A big, bulky head, a bulbous body, and two little feet stuck underneath.

Gwildor came about way too late to ever appear in any Filmation version, but if he had, I can really see him fitting in there, especially in 'She-Ra: Princess of Power'.

Gwildor was one of (if not the) last figure of the original line that I bought. Saurods were pretty uncommon in local toy shops, but I can't believe that I chose him over Blade!
    I think I bought him because he made me laugh in the film (hey, I was a kid at the time!!), so wanted the figure. But he quickly became one of my least favourite figures, often staying at the bottom of the container that I kept my figures in, or at most being first in line for the Evil Warriors to beat up on.

Then there was the mini-comic that came with Gwildor and the other Movie Figures - the terrible "The Cosmic Key". A story that completely conflicted with the movie, and one of the lamest mini-comic stories even beyond that, "The Cosmic Key" is by far my least favourite of the mini-comics.

There has been no 200x revamp to date. Although he's not a classic character, I wouldn't mind seeing what a revamp could do to the character.

All-in-all, not a classic figure. I give Gwildor a lowly 4 out of 10. I liked him in the movie, but the figure isn't that good.

---

Now I'd really like to hear your own thoughts and memories on the figure.
    And whether you post or not, don't forget to rate the vintage figure in the poll!
    Last edited by Spacedust; January 19, 2008 at 09:10am. Reason: typo
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

I hate Gwildor. I'd give him a negative number if I could. He's a useless hunk of plastic with no action feature. He doesn't fit in with the other figures at all.
    Haikus are easy
    But sometimes they don't make sense
    Refrigerator

"If I were a vegetable I'd be a radish because I'm only kind of rad."

Heroic Warrior
    I realize why they put Gwildor in the movie, but I agree that he was a lame character. I gave him a 6 out of politeness.
    "Tri-Klops, Master of Vision. I will need your gamma vision to see around EPA guidelines!"

-Skeletor, evil master of Housing and Urban Development

Chris here...

I don't hate the Gwildor figure, I actually think he's quite cute - but, the figure serves no real purpose and has never really been out of the cardboard box I keep some of my MOTU figures in since I got him about 4 years ago. I quite liked the character in the movie, as portrayed by the late Billy Barty - I give the figure a 5 out of 10.

Take care...
    Are you fed up with the problems you've been experiencing buying from MattyCollector.com?

If so, please consider joining the Facebook group Mattel Toys - Petition for Change, to present a united voice to Mattel calling for change.

MOTU Classics is an amazing toyline, and collecting it should be fun. Let's try and make a difference.
    --------

www.thundercatslair.org

I gave him an 8. A lot of people here don't like him - I always thought he was OK. Sure he was only a replacement for Orko but a good one, I think. I don't agree that he doesn't fit MOTU. Actually I think he is a nice break from all the muscular guys. It's always nice to have something different.

Gwildor in the movie was ok (far better than the Earthlings, Lubic excluded). Gwildor in UK comics was ok. Heck, even Gwildor in Mattel promotional magazines was ok.

But Gwildor as a figure...I try really hard to come up with something nice to say. If this was a PoP-character, I'd be saying he fits in completely. But as a Master of the Universe...There's a saying about one Finnish city, why does it exist? So that this another city wouldn't be the lamest place on Earth. Why does Gwildor exist? So that the Meteorbs don't look THAT bad. I've read here some people complaining how the latter figures in the line took it away from the original warrior origins and became too gimmicky. Gwildor's a real treat for those people: No gimmick whatsoever.

The Cosmic key looks great in the movie. The Cosmic Key looks great in the comics. But the toy's weapon...It's a mace. Not a ultra-technical instrument to bend time and place. Nothing but a club, like Clawful, Mekaneck or Moss Man are wielding.
    "She-Ra, Princess of Power was no more. That had been the price of freedom."

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    Ol' Gwildor gets too much bad press

I'm a big fan of the 87 movie and have always liked Gwildor. I remember getting the Gwildor figure as late as 1990! I was moving school around that time and I remember getting him around then.

The figure is pretty good and close to the movie look, I really like the cosmic key he comes with but would have prefered a more movie accurate key.

I do remember using Gwildor quite a lot in toy battles, often paired with Orko and Cringer. Or recreating the movie scenes with He-Man, Duncan and Teela.

Figure Rating - 8/10

Chris here...

Quote Originally Posted by Orko's Magic Hat View Post
    I remember getting the Gwildor figure as late as 1990! I was moving school around that time and I remember getting him around then.
    Funnily enough, 1990 was the same year that my Mum & Dad got me the Blade figure! I'd never seen the movie, but remembered liking his double swords!

Take care...
    Are you fed up with the problems you've been experiencing buying from MattyCollector.com?

If so, please consider joining the Facebook group Mattel Toys - Petition for Change, to present a united voice to Mattel calling for change.

MOTU Classics is an amazing toyline, and collecting it should be fun. Let's try and make a difference.
    --------

www.thundercatslair.org

The Demon of Screamin' JonnyTyler's Avatar
    I gave Gwildor an 8.

I don't know... there is something about him that I really like. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I really do like the figure. I remember getting him on my 6th birthday. My grandma took me shopping while my mom was getting the house set up for my party. So Grandma took my to Children's Palace(anybody in or from the mid-west remember Children's Palace? Best Toy Store Ever!!! Better than Toys 'R' Us anyday!)

Anyway, she told me I could have 1 He Man figure, and that was going to be from her, and I could have it on the spot, and not have to wait til my party. They always had the best selection of Masters of the Universe figures. So naturally, I went to grab Scare-Glow, an my grandma told me no, to pick another one.(Mom already had him at home for me), so I went to grab King Randor next, she also told me no,(same reason...)

So I dug threw the rest of the shelves, and pulled out Saurod!! I had never seen him, and he was my favorite bad guy from the movie!!! I yanked him off the peg, and proudly showed him to my grandma, and she laughed, and again told me to pick another one, I couldn't have that one either. By that time, I kinda figured what was going on. So, frustrated as hell, I continued to dig in the back of the pegs, and came across the other 2 movie figures!!! Once again, this was the 1st time I had ever seen the movie figures. I didn't even know they existed, and there all three of them were!!!

I looked at both Blade, and Gwildor, and really couldn't decide which one I wanted!!!( looking back now, I think the choice should've been alot easier!!!)
    but after a long while, I chose Gwildor. And I sarcasticly asked if I could have that one. And grandma gave a big hoot, and said yes!! She was so chuckeled up that every figure I picked, I already was getting. I loved my grandma!!! Still do!!!

Anyway, I picked Gwildor for reasons unknown to me. I really loved him in the movie, and I honestly loved the figure!! He got lots of play outta me. He was always paired up with Orko, like someone else above already stated, and in alot of my playing, he kept Orko kindda grounded. Orko wasn't always "trippsy" when Gwildor was around. Cause let's face it, Gwildor was actually smart... for the most part I also liked the toys version of the cosmic key. It wasn't the best job Mattel could've done, but it wasn't that bad. My sister made me a little piece if sparkely red and green paper to tape to the middle spoke if the top piece, and when you spun it, it looked like the light effects from the movie.

I had great times with Gwildor, easily an 8 for me.
    Last edited by JonnyTyler; January 22, 2008 at 06:24pm.

I liked Gwildor. He was a fun character in the movie. He certainly was not the Jar Jar Binks of the MOTU movie! He was silly, but had a few serious moments and even a few tender ones. I thought Billy Barty did a great job with the character.

As for the figure, he is a simple design. I dig it. I always loved the cosmic key that came with him.

Guildor is OK, though I still wonder WHY the movie makers felt the need to "replace" Orko...

I allways thought of Gwildor, as the goofyist figure ever next to orko. and my brother agreed. we used to have him in battle just long enuff to get his cosmic key stolen. so ill go with a 4.

Gwildor is one my favourite AF i was a child! Voted 8!

I always loved Gwildor and I don't understand why so much hate.
    He's cool, powerful and funny.
    8 for me.
    The gleam of the Power Sword lights your way as you enter the fantastic world of Eternia...

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    I would give the 80's toy Gwildor a 4.
    I think he would be a good addition to the classics line. I think the adult collector can appreciate him more. as an action figure he just doesn't fit in. you can't really battle with him. but I will love to have a motuc Gwildor.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by gnewton34 View Post
    I hate Gwildor. I'd give him a negative number if I could. He's a useless hunk of plastic with no action feature. He doesn't fit in with the other figures at all.
    Wow, right outta my head... one was as low as I could go...
    AUDACIEUX ET TENACE

I think figures like Gwildor or Orko are unique when compared to your average muscled hero or villain .

I give him a 10 because his Cosmic Key allowed Skeletor to capture Castle Greyskull and take over Eternia but also upset poor Skeletor .When he finds out there is a second Cosmic Key , chases him across the universe .
    Gwildor makes a third Cosmic key out of WHATEVER within hours , teleports all the good guys ...... and Lubic with Shotgun back to Greyskull,s throne room and saves the day . For most of the movie Skeletor is ignoring Heman

That whole MOTU movie revolves around Gwildor and his invention.
    Gwildor makes the jokes and he also gives the sage advice . He can analyze, invent and modify machines that would make MacGyver weep with envy .
    MOTU and POP transformed my childhood years to gold

Heroic Warrior
    Groveport, ohio, a suburb of the Capitol, Columbus
    When I was 13 is when I first watched the movie, I had just moved to washington state becuase parents divorce. So all my friends who collected with me were being left behind, my collection was in storage in california. So I was so looking forward to seeing my world in motion pictures. Boy I was so let down but there were a few things that embedded into my heart. First the new characters, (gwildor, karg, suarod, blade, and the hovor board troopers). As toys all seemed cool except Gwildor he just seemed so ugly and awkward alongside the rest of the line. Yeah they needed another little guy. The movie being a major let down, so I didnt let the figure gwildor be yet another let down I opened my heart and embraced his ugly mug. Im giving him a 6.