Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Entertainment Rights in trouble...

Quote Originally Posted by Dagar View Post
    Emiliano, you're from Italy - can you verify Vanquest's highly dubious claim that Ghostbusters is or was big over there and that it still is shown all around the world?
    It wasn't that big in Italy but I can say it's as appreciated as RGB.
    Like all the rest of the world, it's now a niche cartoon but probably still one of the most recongizable of the Filmation library.
    It' being treated poorly byt the company who got the right to the DVD.

Although, it's true that it got recently continuosly reaired for more than a year on a satellite channel, where they show lots of 80ies cartoon, multiple times a day.

Sport Billy was big in Ireland and nobody has even heard of that Filmation show!!
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

Gotta agree with Emiliano there, Vanquest.

BCI Guy also shed some light on it.

Your passion for some of those Filmation cartoons is awesome!
    but your expectations for their performance on DVD is not realistic.
    Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Eamon View Post
    Sport Billy was big in Ireland and nobody has even heard of that Filmation show!!
    We had Sport Billy here in SA!!
    I never really watched it though.
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

Quote Originally Posted by oICEMANo View Post
    We had Sport Billy here in SA!!
    I never really watched it though.
    It was shown in Australia as well and released on VHS back in the 80s, when Sports Billy and Sports Lilly figurines were being sold in Caltex/ Golden Fleece Petrol stations. lol

Back on to the topic. I would have thought that now would be the time for Mattel buy the entertainment/ animation of Filmation's "MotU/PoP" and Jet Lag's "NA". I think Mattel would save a lot of money if the bought it before the movie, plus it would give them total control over the entire "MotU/PoP/NA" property. There is no guarantee that they will have an opportunity after the film if they become more valuable or if the new owner refuses to sell.

Take Care,
    Darren
    Mattel please, buy the He-Man and She-Ra cartoons from Entertainment Rights. If you owned Both Filmation related "MotU" cartoons, plus "NA" and "MYP" cartoons, you would be able to distribute any or all 4 cartoons to Television in the lead up to another relaunch or a live action movie. Plus, you could include Filmation and "NA" animated characters in "MotU:C"!

Long Live 'MOTU'!

Sport Billy could pull helicopters out his bag man!!!

I actually think an updated version would do well!
    www.eamonart.com

Supa Strikas now has a animated show (SS is a big soccer comic here in SA) its not that bad...
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

I would be up for that. Eamon, did you ever collect the toys when they around? Were they available in Ireland?

Take Care,
    Darren
    Mattel please, buy the He-Man and She-Ra cartoons from Entertainment Rights. If you owned Both Filmation related "MotU" cartoons, plus "NA" and "MYP" cartoons, you would be able to distribute any or all 4 cartoons to Television in the lead up to another relaunch or a live action movie. Plus, you could include Filmation and "NA" animated characters in "MotU:C"!

Long Live 'MOTU'!

I hope Mattel is considering going after the MOTU, POP & NA cartoon & comic rights. Considering they are making the new MOTU film, surely it makes sense to buy back these rights now. I know I am looking at this as a fan, but if Mattel buy back the rights now while they are cheeper, rather than make a killer MOTU film and then be charged 10 times what they would have paid by buying the rights now, while everyone is hedging their bets. I will be intrested to hear what they have to say on the matter, because you know this is gonna be one of the first issues MOTU & POP fans are gonna raise at NYCC!

Will they take action or do what they normally do re MOTU, which (IMO) is all to often closing the stable door once the horse has bolted!
    Last edited by Angel-T; February 2, 2009 at 11:11am.
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Vanquest View Post
    Emiliano,

Who cares. FGB has a lot of re-runs on satellite channels all around the world... PLUS, Saban can always release cheap DVD editions...
    The current ones were easy to find at very discounted prices.

Within the next decade, new fans will be born!
    They weren't born in the 2000s, why would they be born now?

Ps: FGB had good sales in America, not great... but good.
    No. It had BAD sales.

Blame BCI ECLIPSE and their failed deals with HUGE marts (no offense, just the facts).
    Not facts at all. It had the exact same opportunities as numerous shows we put out that sold better. It sold poorly at Best Buy, it sold poorly at Fry's, it sold poorly at FYE/Suncoast, it sold poorly with online retailers. If Wal-Mart would've taken it, they would've returned 90% of what they ordered within the first month. Blackstar way outsold it, Isis way, way, way outsold it, Flash Gordon outsold it, even Space Sentinels outsold it. And none of those had different deals with "HUGE marts".

I think it's great that you have such a passion for the show, but you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Angel-T View Post
    I hope Mattel is considering going after the MOTU, POP & NA cartoon & comic rights. Considering they are making the new MOTU film, surely it makes sense to buy back these rights now. I know I am looking at this as a fan, but if Mattel buy back the rights now while they are cheeper, rather than make a killer MOTU film and then be charged 10 times what they would have paid by buying the rights now, while everyone is hedging their bets. I will be intrested to hear what they have to say on the matter, because you know this is gonna be one of the first issues MOTU & POP fans are gonna raise at NYCC!

Will they take action or do what they normally do re MOTU, which (IMO) is all to often closing the stable door once the horse has bolted!
    The thing we don't know is if ER is willing to sell MOTU/POP separately. For all we know Mattel may be trying to get them back, but ER is insisting on a package deal for the whole library. The rest of the Filmation library has very little value on its own, so to break it up, they may be asking for a ridiculous price.

For example, BCI was able to license He-Man by itself, but as soon as it starting selling really well, we were only able to get She-Ra (and the few others we wanted) if we licensed a bunch of the smaller properties as well.

IF ER would've realized the value of MOTU initially, we would've had to have paid A LOT more for it.
    Last edited by BCI Guy; February 2, 2009 at 07:39pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    It wasn't that big in Italy but I can say it's as appreciated as RGB.
    Like all the rest of the world, it's now a niche cartoon but probably still one of the most recongizable of the Filmation library.
    It' being treated poorly byt the company who got the right to the DVD.

Although, it's true that it got recently continuosly reaired for more than a year on a satellite channel, where they show lots of 80ies cartoon, multiple times a day.
    On Facebook, you can find COUNTLESS Italian "groups" dedicated to FGB, and that's because it was a hit here in Italy, maybe maybe maybe even MORE recognizable than the "Real Ghostbusters" cartoon. The FGB toys even sold very well, and everyone in Naples (my city) was trading FGB "cards" (the so-called figurine from PANINI company).

Yeah, lots of re-runs on satellite channels. "Jim Jam" channel or something along those lines...

BCI Guy, there's always time to discover the infinite awesomeness of the TRUE Ghostbusters. More fans will come. That's my biggest hope.

Sport Billy did very good here in Italy, but didn't produce any cult following. Today, it is obscure.

I thought Blackstar was the greatest?
    Not a bad description, my friend, LOL.
    Last edited by Vanquest; February 2, 2009 at 07:52pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "We're the real deal, you know." - Jake Kong Jr.

GHOSTBUSTERS: http://filmationghostbuster.proboards.com/

BLACKSTAR: http://johnblackstar.proboards.com/

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    On Facebook, you can find COUNTLESS Italian "groups" dedicated to FGB, and that's because it was a hit here in Italy, maybe maybe maybe even MORE recognizable than the "Real Ghostbusters" cartoon. The FGB toys even sold very well, and everyone in Naples (my city) was trading FGB "cards" (the so-called figurine from PANINI company).

Yeah, lots of re-runs on satellite channels. "Jim Jam" channel or something along those lines...

BCI Guy, there's always time to discover the infinite awesomeness of the TRUE Ghostbusters. More fans will come. That's my biggest hope.
    It's great that it was a big hit in Italy, but that doesn't change the fact that you are using the popularity of the series there as a basis to jump to conclusions about how well the BCI DVD sets sold in the USA.

The DVDs didn't sell well, FGB was never THAT big of a hit here as it apparently was there, even back when it was still on the air, and as BCI Guy stated, the DVDs didn't sell well at all here, and it's not because BCI did anything wrong or differently than they did with any of their other releases, many of which sold in greater numbers.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    The DVDs didn't sell well, FGB was never THAT big of a hit here as it apparently was there, even back when it was still on the air, and as BCI Guy stated, the DVDs didn't sell well at all here, and it's not because BCI did anything wrong or differently than they did with any of their other releases, many of which sold in greater numbers.
    Okay.

Too bad America always underappreciated such a masterpiece.

Sorry no offense but when it comes to either Filmation's "Ghostbusters" and the REAL Ghostbusters it's hands down the RGB here's why:

Two live action movies
    Cool Story Lines & Villians
    Toys
    Video Games
    Books & Comics & Other Properties
    Longevity (I think 4-5 seasons or more)

And no offense but FGB was horrible! RGB was more believable..........

I can't vouch for the rest of the world but in the US it's the chosen one

This might put a damper on them trying to get the rights back...

salon.com:
    Mattel 4Q profit falls by nearly half
    By MAE ANDERSON Associated Press Writer
    Feb 2nd, 2009 | EL SEGUNDO, Calif. -- As toy maker Mattel Inc. reported that its profit fell almost by half for the key fourth quarter and more than one-third for the year, it said Monday that it will raise its prices and cut its 2009 spending, including on advertising.

Analysts had expected Mattel to report weak results for the quarter that included the worst holiday season in decades. But the company's profit and sales fell further than most predicted, and its shares fell more than 16 percent in trading Monday.

Toys tend to resist economic strain better than many products because parents tend to keep spending on their children even when they spend less on themselves and on household goods.

But Mattel enjoyed no such buffer as its fiscal 2008 came to a close.

Chairman and CEO Robert A. Eckert said in a call Monday with investors that lackluster sales, lower gross margins and higher expenses led the company to miss analysts and its own estimates for the quarter and all of fiscal 2008.

The weak results seemed to hit chief rival Hasbro Inc.'s stock as well. Its shares fell $2.20, or 9.1 percent, to $21.93.

Sales declined across most of Mattel's top brands, including a 21 percent drop at Barbie, a 22 percent drop at Hot Wheels and a 9 percent drop at Fisher-Price. One bright spot in the quarter, which ended Dec. 31, was American Girl dolls, which saw sales rise 5 percent to $254 million.

"While we expected any surprises to be negative, the breadth of the weakness is worse than we anticipated," said Needham & Co. analyst Sean McGowan.

Sales were markedly worse than previous quarters. In the prior quarter, for example, Barbie and Hot Wheels sales were down 1 percent and Fisher-Price sales rose 7 percent compared with the third quarter in 2007.

And in 2007's fourth quarter, Barbie sales rose 4 percent, Hot Wheels rose 21 percent and Fisher-Price rose 15 percent.

During the fourth quarter of 2008, Mattel said it would cut 8 percent of its work force, or about 1,000 jobs. On Monday, it detailed planned cuts in its ad budget and the number of products it makes, particularly for girls.

At the beginning of January, it implemented a mid-single-digit percentage price increase on its spring line of toys to cover higher commodity costs and other factors.

"Our goal in 2009 is to improve the profitability of the business by looking at all areas, from (human resources) to marketing and all functions in between, with the relentless pursuit of cost reductions -- including reducing the number of underperforming stock-keeping units and tightening our infrastructure," Eckert said.

New Mattel products coming in 2010 include toys related to Thomas and Friends and World Wrestling Entertainment. A new Toy Story movie in fiscal 2010, lower legal costs and a general economic rebound will also likely help the toy maker's results, Needham added, and he rates the company's stock a strong buy.

For 2009, however, the company is focusing on improving its profitability and execution.

"Clearly Mattel expects 2009 revenues to be challenged," Needham said. "Toy sales have not been recession-proof, the global recession is deep and worsening, and demand is likely to remain weak."

The company said quarterly profit fell to $176.4 million, or 49 cents per share, from $328.5 million, or 89 cents per share, a year earlier.

Revenue fell 11 percent to $1.94 billion from $2.19 billion, including a 6 percent decline in the U.S. and a 20 percent drop internationally.

The strengthening dollar's impact lowered sales 5 percentage points.

Analysts polled by Thomson Reuters, on average, predicted a profit of 72 cents per share on revenue of $2.2 billion.

The results fell so far short that its shares dropped $2.29, or 16.1 percent, to close at $11.90 Monday.

Mattel said it had hefty one-time costs during the quarter related to its lawsuit against MGA Entertainment Inc., which makes Bratz dolls, and to toy-safety lawsuits. Legal costs totaled about $52 million for the year.

A jury has found that Bratz doll designer Carter Bryant developed the concept for the dolls while working for Mattel. MGA must eventually stop selling the dolls.

Mattel said it was preparing for more litigation with MGA related to trade secrets.

For the year, the El Segundo, Calif.-based company's profit fell 37 percent to $379.6 million, or $1.05 per share, from $600 million, or $1.54 per share, a year earlier. Revenue edged down less than 1 percent to $5.92 billion from $5.97 billion.

Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    Sorry no offense but when it comes to either Filmation's "Ghostbusters" and the REAL Ghostbusters it's hands down the RGB here's why:

Two live action movies
    Cool Story Lines & Villians
    Toys
    Video Games
    Books & Comics & Other Properties
    Longevity (I think 4-5 seasons or more)

And no offense but FGB was horrible! RGB was more believable..........

I can't vouch for the rest of the world but in the US it's the chosen one

NO OFFENSE, but "Real" is poorly-realized, uninventive and overall horrid... while Filmation's is a genius masterpiece and features a FAR BETTER animation. No contest.

NO OFFENSE, but "Real" is poorly-realized, uninventive and overall horrid... while Filmation's is a genius masterpiece and features a FAR BETTER animation. No contest.
    You're calling Filmation's stock animation better than RGBs animation!?!?

Sheesh dude, now you're just sounding like a rabid fanboy.
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    You guys know what this means about Mattel's advertising cuts, right? MOTUC exposure is going to be more limited.

I think we need to do the following:

- Take awesome pictures of our MOTUC figures (Like GuiaX, for example).
    - Have a graphic designer fan make up some cool titles, a slogan "The Power Has Returned!" or something...and then "collect all figures only at: Mattycollector.com"
    - Take these fan-ads and post it around the web as much as we possibly can.

I think this is MOST important so this line continues! Especially for NA and PoP! This line needs exposure out the wazoo.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Quote Originally Posted by oICEMANo View Post
    You're calling Filmation's stock animation better than RGBs animation!?!?
    Filmation's animation, yes, far better and interesting.

Oooohh Vanquest, that's some bubble you are living in there.

Accpet the facts and move on for the love of god!!!
    www.eamonart.com

Skeletors evil colorist Predabot's Avatar
    Hmm... this does raise the question.

Why haven't we put together a MotuC fan-site? I think if we all pitched in with our skills we could create an amazing, graphically stunning site, reminiscent of all the great graphics and dioramas of the 80's, but with modern tricks.

Basically, a small inn that just showcases what it's all about, gives on-the-double news and features RICH BIG, galleries of super-high quality photos with big dioramas, once there's enough figs.

Of course, there'd be a section for MotUC fan-art as well.

What do you think lads? Maybe we could even have Val host it?

www.MotuC.org lads!

We got He-man.org and a new .org on the way that will have devoted a MOTUC section!
    Why would we need another?!

And do swedish use the term 'lads' a lot then?
    www.eamonart.com

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    The thing we don't know is if ER is willing to sell MOTU/POP separately. For all we know Mattel may be trying to get them back, but ER is insisting on a package deal for the whole library. The rest of the Filmation library has very little value on its own, so to break it up, they may be asking for a ridiculous price.
    I was thinking this might be the case as well. Maybe Mattel could talk ER into it though. Matty should take 'ER to dinner and use his 'ole charm.

If not, maybe they could work out a reasonable deal for everything. It will probably end up costing them much, much more down the line (even if they just make a deal for certain characters later on)...and then Mattel will have FULL control over their flagship properties again!

Quote Originally Posted by Predabot View Post
    Hmm... this does raise the question.

Why haven't we put together a MotuC fan-site? I think if we all pitched in with our skills we could create an amazing, graphically stunning site, reminiscent of all the great graphics and dioramas of the 80's, but with modern tricks.

Basically, a small inn that just showcases what it's all about, gives on-the-double news and features RICH BIG, galleries of super-high quality photos with big dioramas, once there's enough figs.

Of course, there'd be a section for MotUC fan-art as well.

What do you think lads? Maybe we could even have Val host it?

www.MotuC.org lads!
    I love the idea, but I think it would be able to work as a sub-section of He-Man.org. Maybe not though. If not, the .org could LINK to it, definitely. Anything to spread the MOTUC love.

We got He-man.org and a new .org on the way that will have devoted a MOTUC section!
    Why would we need another?!

And do swedish use the term 'lads' a lot then?
    For advertising purposes since Mattel is cutting their budget. Keep MOTUC alive by advertising it throughout the web!
    Last edited by Darkspecter; February 3, 2009 at 01:01pm.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Skeletors evil colorist Predabot's Avatar
    Precisely what DarkSpecter said, Eamon.

We need a place that someone can find immediately via google search, that will get them to an extremely MotuC-dedicated place.

The more the merrier really.

And YES! We Swedes definitely use 'lads' a lot when we hang out at another board where there's a plethora of various kinds of slang from the British Isles. Thank GODDESS there's Urban Dictionary! It's thought me all kinds of swish words.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    For advertising purposes since Mattel is cutting their budget. Keep MOTUC alive by advertising it throughout the web!
    And my question remains, what's wrong with just having a section here, a place that is well known.
    If you do a search for MOTUC, it will go straight to that section on the new He-Man.org anyways.
    There's also the Matty facebook page.

And besides, you gonna devote a whole site to what, 5 figures with no official art?!

I don't think you guys are being realistic here!
    But hey don't let me stop ya!
    www.eamonart.com