Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: To all .ORGers who are trying to lose weight and those who are losing weight

▄ber Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gnewton34 View Post
    My mom makes me so mad. I'll buy healthy food to be on a diet and then she'll turn around and make a plate full of peanut butter fudge I swear I think she tries to sabotage me on purpose sometimes because I lose weight fairly easy when I put my mind to it but it's really hard for her to lose weight.
    ohhh I hate that!!!! My friends at work do that. So annoying.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

The Horde Guru of Gaming D-Day V1's Avatar
    That is some great advice Val. Im glad to see so many people posting on this thread.
    Thank you Mario, but our Princess is in another castle.

The Master of Insanity CJ Clifford's Avatar
    I started last week (and I almost made a thread just like this). I'm tired of being a fat sack of crap. All the motivation I need is my before picture. When you want to vomit at the sight of your own practically naked body, you've got some problems. That wonderful snapshot will forever be for my eyes only. The horror . . . the horror.

Anyway, a few people think I've gone uber strict with the whole diet thing. I've completely altered my eating habits. Every two hours I'm eating something (half the time it's a piece of fruit), and in-between each of those hours I'm drinking 12 oz. of water. I even set my cell phone to remind me. And I'm going to the local "gym" (if you can call it that). At first I was in there for about twenty minutes. I've since upped it to an hour now that a buddy of mine gave me some pointers on the weight machine.

So far I'm down 9 lbs. Only 95 more to go.

cjclifford: I realize that presuming to give someone you don't know advice on a personal topic over the internet is often a mistake, but I feel compelled to mention this because of my personal experience: being upset with yourself is bad for long-term motivation. Short-term, you can use it to kick yourself into gear, but that enthusiasm will fade, and it's hard to continue to motivate yourself with such negative feelings.

It's not like you have to be all Care Bears about it and remind yourself "I'm a beautiful person!" every five seconds or some nonsense like that, but it's important to keep things in perspective. Sure, you can be as stringent with your diet as you feel is good for you, but do it out of the desire to respect your body and take the best care of it you can, not to whip it into submission like a naughty child. And if you find that you have trouble viewing your body positively, it may be more important to fix that mental block than any weight-loss techniques you use; it was for me.

Again, I apologize for presuming to give you advice on something so personal, I feel almost obligated to though because I struggled with the same problem for so long, and realizing that I didn't have to hate my body was a huge "Eureka!" moment for me.

I've been training to run the mini-marathon this May in Indianapolis. I've been running about 2 miles every other day and working on the other days. I just, this week, started pushing myself to 4 miles. I'm going to try to reach 5 miles next week. The mini is 13.1 miles. I'm confident that if I can run 5 miles consistently for the next several months, I should be able to do the full 13.1 miles. In the process I have begun to drop some weight. I was up to 250 and have dropped to 235 thus far. I've not been drinking any soda in nearly 3 months and gave up eating hamburger for turkey burger about a year ago. I've been slowly weening myself off of things that are bad for me such as butter (I've been eating I Can't Believe It's Not Butter), potato chips, etc. I drink water and OJ exclusively at home and work. If I go out to eat I'll have unsweetened tea with lemon and a little Sweet And Low. I hope to drop down to about 180-185. I'm confident I'll get there.

Quote Originally Posted by cjclifford View Post
    I started last week (and I almost made a thread just like this). I'm tired of being a fat sack of crap. All the motivation I need is my before picture. When you want to vomit at the sight of your own practically naked body, you've got some problems. That wonderful snapshot will forever be for my eyes only. The horror . . . the horror.

Anyway, a few people think I've gone uber strict with the whole diet thing. I've completely altered my eating habits. Every two hours I'm eating something (half the time it's a piece of fruit), and in-between each of those hours I'm drinking 12 oz. of water. I even set my cell phone to remind me. And I'm going to the local "gym" (if you can call it that). At first I was in there for about twenty minutes. I've since upped it to an hour now that a buddy of mine gave me some pointers on the weight machine.

So far I'm down 9 lbs. Only 95 more to go.

Keep it up buddy. Its a start.

The Master of Insanity CJ Clifford's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Karen_Leslie View Post
    being upset with yourself is bad for long-term motivation. Short-term, you can use it to kick yourself into gear, but that enthusiasm will fade, and it's hard to continue to motivate yourself with such negative feelings.
    Trust me, my current physical appearance is only one of many reasons I'm doing this, and it wasn't even a primary reason until after I almost vomited on myself from looking at my before picture. Other reasons include jealousy of my friend's personal success at weightloss, generally wanting to be healthier, a realization that my previous habits were not good for me (something I've known for a long time but was too lazy to change), and general irritation with myself for not sticking with it when I did something similar to what I'm doing now eight years ago (when I only need to drop 40 lbs). Plus my friend who's been doing his own thing since August is there to help keep me on track.

It's not like you have to be all Care Bears about it and remind yourself "I'm a beautiful person!" every five seconds or some nonsense like that, but it's important to keep things in perspective.
    The perspective is that I've never been happy with how I look (I've been over-weight since I was nine) and my excessive weight is the leading cause. I can't fix my balding scalp or my psoriasis, but I can fix this.

And if you find that you have trouble viewing your body positively, it may be more important to fix that mental block than any weight-loss techniques you use; it was for me.
    Regardless of my distaste for how I look because of my excess 100 lbs, this is something I need to do.

The holiday spounds arent coming off as esaily as I hoped, crash diet time so I can get where I was before and then can work on it. I know its not the smartest thign to do, but it will be done!
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

Before I went to work, I went to the local community center and walked 3 miles. I was so proud of myself, especially since I wasnt winded after I finished. I went a little overboard with lunch today, because I got reasl hungry, but I still think I should be ok. Im currently at 247, but would like to be between 243-245 by the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by D-Day V1 View Post
    How much weight did u lose on the South Beach Diet? Good luck to you as well.
    I think I lost 4-5 pounds the week I was on it. Unfortunately, I went out of town and convinced myself it was okay to eat junk while away from home. It all pretty much went downhill from there.

I'm happy to say that I've met all my diet and fitness goals for the past two days, and I also added sit-ups to my routine. I am very, very tired, though. But it'll all be worth it when I'm feeling healthy and looking great.
    "Human beings were not meant to sit in little cubicles staring at computer screens all day, filling out useless forms and listening to eight different bosses drone on about mission statements."

"I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything I thought it could be."

~Peter Gibbons, Office Space

"How 'bout you not judge? How 'bout you just love?"

~Me

Thats how I felt after my 3 mile walk this morning.

I have something to prove to Val. So I'm buying an elliptical this week, lol.
    Leeloomina´ Lekatariba Lamina-Tcha´ Ekbat De Sebat

alright its official im hitting the diet and exercise thing. Ive gained way to much weight since breaking my foot. I just did a weigh in and im at 258 way to much by the "end of this my goal is 215 and im 6'2 so i think that is a decent weight to be at for my height
    It's not what you ride. It's that you ride.

Hey bush let the door hit you on the way out !!!!

OBAMA 2012 !!!!!

Over the November/December month I put on like 10 pounds. I live the holiday foods, but I sure do hate when January comes around and I have to put in extra work to loose all that weight. On Sundays I prepare 5 small meals for 6 days. That's 30 meals for the week. This includes breakfast, lunch, dinner and 2 snacks. I leave Sunday open for a little cheating so I don't go completely insane. I drink like 5 glasses of water in the day and 2 at night. Nothing else (well maybe alcohol, but that's usually not during the week). I usually eat at 7am when i wake up, then at 10am, then 1pm, then at 4pm (which is the last time I have any carbs for the day), and then i eat dinner at 8pm. I go to the gym about 5 times a week. If for some reason that I don't get home till after 9pm from the gym because of whatever reason, I'll only eat the protein from my last meal for the day. I only eat fruits, vegatables, baked chicken and fish. Nothing is ever fried, and the carbs are usually whole grain stuff like a whole wheat bagel or wheat pasta. And all of it is in small portions. Like my bagel, I only eat half of it in the morning with my egg whites and then I eat the second half the next day. I consider Sundays my "cheat" days, but even then I don't eat that bad. Usually something like a burger or maybe I'll get some ice cream. But it may be the only meal I'll have that day because I'm too lazy to get get anything and I can't have any junk food in the house because I know I'll eat it. I don't have a ripped body, but at least I can start to see my abs a little again. I just have to started getting more motivated to go and workout harder. When i'm at the gym lately, it seems like I'm just there to do the bare minimum and that's it. I've been in lazy mode for the past 3 months and I gotta snap out of it already.
    My Masters of the Universe Classics and Comic Book Reviews:

http://www.youtube.com/user/gaycomicgeek

for those of you dieting... i'm sure you all know or heard, diets don't work.

if you lose weight, you will gain it back and possibly gain more than what you weighed before at times.

diet, Exercise (so important) is the key to a well balanced weight.

so many people dont like to excersice and just starve themselves, or diet.. not healthly.

you need to have some daily activity to burn calories.. walking on the treadmill is possibly the easiest form of excersice anyone can do.

theres really no reason not to do this. if you are so busy.. well you have to make time. if you have kids, school, long hours of work.. you have to make time either way if you really want to lose weight.

if your job is labor, then thats another story.
    Don't hate me cause ... (I'm Da Man)!

Carlo Hooks you up thread, just click HERE!

That's easy to say when you're not going to school and working 12 to 13 hour shifts at work and driving an hour from work to home each way.
    Haikus are easy
    But sometimes they don't make sense
    Refrigerator

"If I were a vegetable I'd be a radish because I'm only kind of rad."

I am bound and determined to cut the cals until I get to where I want to be. Besides, my cal intake was too damn high anyway. Saying good bye to sugar sucks though I miss it. Sometimes I cry at night....
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

Even though it's probably not 'politically correct' anymore, they need to bring this kind of stuff back. Start 'em young.

Technically diets DO work. your diet is whatever your eating regimen is. so while going on a DIET (fasting and such) won't work, ALTERING your diet will. that said people get yourselves some weights and use them. nothing like building muscle to lose fat (which is what most people want to do when they say lose weight - muscle is heavier than fat so in a sense you want to put on muscle weight and burn off excess fat weight) you might not be able to go to the gym (i can't due to my work schedule and the routine that I need to do at the gym) but I can make time to get exercise. on my lunch I get off the elevator early and walk up the stairs, I do that on my break too. when I'm home I do push ups and sit ups and some weight stuff where I compound my routine as I said before (lunges that end with a bicep curl etc.)

you can always find time to squeeze in some excercise. make sure it is sopmething that will have your body work against gravity. that's how you build muscle and lose fat.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

That's easy to say when you're not going to school and working 12 to 13 hour shifts at work and driving an hour from work to home each way.
    7 days a week?

you gotta have some time in a week!

that was kinda my routine back in the early 90's and true its really tough, but its not that tough to watch the foods you consume.

anyone who really wants to lose weight.. you can, just really limit the fried foods.

after high school, the most i packed was 20 pounds and that was enough for me also during my crazy work school routine, but i lost most of it by cutting out the bad foods, soda and eating grilled, baked healthy foods and drinking water. on my off days i would get in some workouts

everyone has to have some time to do some daily physical activity, even 30 minutes

determination and you will get there
    Don't hate me cause ... (I'm Da Man)!

Carlo Hooks you up thread, just click HERE!

I've been trying to shed my little belly. It's been hard because I love my junk food so damn much. I can eat an entire pumpkin pie with caramel sauce and whipped topping in a single sitting. I'm 160 pounds.

Anyhoo, water is essential. Cutting out soda will make you feel great and help you look great alot faster. Cut out soda! I can't stress this enough! Trade beef and pork dishes for chicken and fish.

Make wise decisions when you can. Think of elevators as 'lazy fat vessels'. Take the stairs. Walk everywhere you can. Make yourself active. Dont want to stand around doing repeatative exercise? Turn up he music and dance while carrying a heavy book.

I work 12-13 hours shifts on the weekend. I have two 12-13 hour clinical days. I have one full day of classes. The other two days are dedicated to doing homework which is like having another job. By the time I get off work and clinicals I'm so tired I can't hardly move. I literally ache from head to toe so I need a day to recoup from that, clinicals are the same way. I lift people and am on my feet all day at work and clinicals.
    Haikus are easy
    But sometimes they don't make sense
    Refrigerator

"If I were a vegetable I'd be a radish because I'm only kind of rad."

I work 12-13 hours shifts on the weekend. I have two 12-13 hour clinical days. I have one full day of classes. The other two days are dedicated to doing homework which is like having another job. By the time I get off work and clinicals I'm so tired I can't hardly move. I literally ache from head to toe so I need a day to recoup from that, clinicals are the same way. I lift people and am on my feet all day at work and clinicals.
    I'm not sure what you do for a living, but are you literally lifting people? Cause, it sounds like you are working out. I understand having a tough schedule, in my senior year in college I worked a full time job and was in class full time with 16 credits and I had an internship, so I couldn't workout at a gym except 1 day out of the week. But I did do a lot of exercises in my dorm room like push ups in study breaks or 30 minute jogs around my university, some stomach crunches spread out through the day when i got a short break and I cut out all junk food and only drank water. I really kept a great weight back then too, better than I am now unfortunately. Damn old age slowing down my metabolism. I know it's really hard, especially if you're busy all the time, I hope you can find some time work some exercises in your daily schedule.
    My Masters of the Universe Classics and Comic Book Reviews:

http://www.youtube.com/user/gaycomicgeek

Colors make you happy! Rainbow Brite's Avatar
    I'd say during this time in your life, IGNORE YOUR WEIGHT. You've got enough to handle as it is and worrying about it when you don't have time to do anything about it is only going to drive you crazy. Once school is out you can try fitting some exercise into your schedule. But you have to manage your priorities, and right now work and school are your priorities - not looking like a model.

Another piece of advice for all of you who are trying to lose weight - try drinking Crystal Light instead of juice. We used to keep orange juice, grape juice, V8 Splash and other juices around...but realized we were taking in way too many liquid calories that way. So now we make a pitcher of Crystal Light or Countrytime Light Lemonade and drink that with our meals. Also helps get some more water into your system (cause I HATE drinking plain water).

Archer Farms (Target brand) flavored water is the bomb too.