Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: To all .ORGers who are trying to lose weight and those who are losing weight

We started our weight adventure around last May, I lost 20-25lb between May and August, then hit a pleatau when school kicked into full gear and winter onset (which meant at times -30 degree temps)

In all that time (Sept-March) I have only put on 5lbs and no inches, not too bad for 6 months of no excercise I think!

We are walking again and planning healthier meals so my hope is to lose another 10-15 pouns before September (that would avg to 2lb a month which is the normal avg for basic exercise I think)

Its going to go slow and I am 100% ok with that, the slower it goes off the harder it is to come back on and the last 6 months proved that to me
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Where the army sends me, currently:Mannheim, Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    May I respectfully suggest that you try to incorporate some free weights into your weekly regimen. You don't need anything elaborate. A couple of dumb bells will do nicely. If you can afford an inexpensive weight bench, that's great. Find a routine you like -- menshealth.com is very helpful. Do set routines with dumb bells that you can do 12 repetitions per exercise with and no more.

Running, swimming and ellipticals are great cardio workouts and they are very important. But you will lose more weight by working out with free weights. Free weights built muscle mass more quickly than cardio exercises and it requires more calories to maintain muscle mass than it does fat. Thus, your body maintains a higher metabolism over running. The metabolic burn rate from running diminishes after two or three hours, while the muscle mass you put on from free weights burns 24 hours a day. So you lose weight simply because you have accumulated muscle mass.

Also, remember that in the beginning a lot of what you're losing is water weight. So don't expect the first month losses to be the same in month three or four. However, your 8 to 10 pounds a month are very realistic goals. It's just going to be tougher to maintain them once you've made an initial water weight loss. And that's where free weights will help.
    Thank you very much for your advise so far I have thought about incorporating weight training as well. I just doont know that if i start doing weights now I will gain more muscle and therefor increase my weight. Once i hit my weight target (185 lbs) I will switch from cardio 5 days a week to perhaps 3 and do 2-3 days of weights.

With my upcoming Army weigh in Im trying as much cardio as possible to drop some weight. Their really big into making your weight otherwise you get taped and I just dont want to rely on that. I have noticed though that since Ive started working out Im not as hungry as i used to be and Im more energized.

Im glad to say that I am now at 191.6 so i should hit my target weight without even starving myself or depriving myself from the stuff i like. I tell you Weight Watcher's is great and the best part is that I still get to eat what i like just in moderation
    ThunderCast: the first ThunderCats Podcast in the Universe

Visit the Thundercats websitewww.ThunderCatslair.org and forums HERE

Well, I've lost 17 pounds since mid-January. I've also dropped a dress size. I'm pretty excited.

My fitness routine has involved weights 2-3 times a week, running 1/2 mile to a mile 4-5 times a week, and using the elliptical for 30 minutes a day. Now I'm working on incorporating crunches into my routine. I tend to forget about them because I'm so tired at the end of the day.

Physically, I can see a bit of a difference. My face is starting to get some definition. My thighs seem to be the same size, but the skin looks more toned.

Finally, I've noticed that I can't eat the same way I did before starting. It's not that I don't cheat, because I do (and a lot more so lately ). But whereas cheating for me before was a pint of Edy's ice cream, it's now 4 Milano cookies or an extra granola bar. Honestly, I'm getting to the point where the granola tastes better than the cookies. Tonight I tried a trick that a former roommate taught me, which is to eat a small bowl of frozen diet Cool Whip in place of the ice cream I might be craving. It was really good, and at 20 calories a serving, it's a lot better for me.

Congrats to those of you who are also losing weight. I wish you continued good luck!
    "Human beings were not meant to sit in little cubicles staring at computer screens all day, filling out useless forms and listening to eight different bosses drone on about mission statements."

"I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything I thought it could be."

~Peter Gibbons, Office Space

"How 'bout you not judge? How 'bout you just love?"

~Me

Update on me...I have lost 16 pounds in a matter of 5 weeks. Calorie intake has been kept to around 1250-1500 calories/day M-F and weekends at about 2000 calories. Elliptical for an average of 40-45 min 4-5 days a week, 15 min ab work out and 15 minutes of Sauna time. My diet has been strictly Weight Watcher's...I can eat anything so long as it is in moderation and within what the plan allows. Let's just say that Im never hungry...

Oh did I also forgot to mention I am also taking a supplement called Looking Trim...ingredients are Chromium 200 mcg , Ma Huang extract (aerial parts) 125 mg .(standardized for 10 mg ephedrine alkoloids)Paulina Sorbilis seed extract , Lotus Root , Hoodia Gordoni ( P57) , Garcinia Cambogia , White willow bark , Citrus Bigardia extract (standardized for synepherine) , Kojac root , Uva usi leaf , Ginger root , eleutheorococcus senticosus root , bee pollen , green tea extract , pyruvate , piper longum (fruit) , 77 trace minerals

The suppplement has 10 mg of Ephedra as well as Hoodia. Two of the best Weight Loss ingredients out there. By the way Ephedra is not banned in all of the US but the places that you can get it, 10 mg is the allowable amount compared to 25 mg a few years ago.

The Horde Guru of Gaming D-Day V1's Avatar
    Im down to 224.5 lbs right now. Ive lost 35.5 lbs since Jan 7th. Im so happy.
    Thank you Mario, but our Princess is in another castle.

Quote Originally Posted by D-Day V1 View Post
    Im down to 224.5 lbs right now. Ive lost 35.5 lbs since Jan 7th. Im so happy.
    Wow congrats...whats your routine

Update: I've lost 23 pounds since mid-January! My goal is 60 pounds, so I'm almost halfway there.

I've been training for the Peachtree Road Race. I can now run 5 miles on the treadmill. Due to security issues in my apartment complex, I haven't been able to run outside at all during the week. However, I have started going to Piedmont Park (a really beautiful park in midtown Atlanta) on Saturdays. This coming Saturday promises to be a real scorcher, and I'm scheduled to run 5 miles that day. I should be good and exhausted by the end of the day. I've gotten to the point where I genuinely love to exercise, not because it burns calories but because it relieves stress and just makes me feel good.

The diet is going well. I've gone back to what our office nutritionist put me on last April, which is a wonderful balance of fiber, fruits, veggies, and proteins. I really can't say enough good things fiber! I truly believe that it is the foundation of healthy eating. I'm also rediscovering my love of oranges.

Well, I think this post is long enough. I hope y'all are doing well with meeting your exercise and/or weight loss goals!
    "Human beings were not meant to sit in little cubicles staring at computer screens all day, filling out useless forms and listening to eight different bosses drone on about mission statements."

~Me

Its been a long time since Ive updated everyone, but here goes. I weighed myself on my scale this morning and Im down to 220.5 lbs. now

I work out 3-4 days a week. No pop, and I eat more during the day, but when I eat, I eat less.

Heroic Warrior
    Well, I haven't been around for a while. For me, my weight has been a lifelong struggle of extremes. In high school I was extremely skinny. Then after I started working my waistline started expanding till I reached 174lbs in June 2006 -

When I headed of to NYC in November 2006 for a 6 month working experience, I thought that I'd lose a lot of weight. No such luck - the long hours and extra stress drove me to junkfood. When I came back to South Africa in May 2007 I tipped the scales at a whopping 192lbs. I started wearing bigger sizes of clothing to try and hide it -

In October 2007 I hit rockbottom, and I realized that I needed to change my lifestyle. Thanks to The Biggest Loser workouts and healthier eating habits, i started dropping the weight. By January 2008 I'd lost about 20lbs -

To date I've now lost 31lbs. I'll never have the perfect body, but I'm feeling a lot more comfortable in my own skin -

I never thought I had it in me. It was hard work, but believing in myself was half of it.

What does your diet look like, Psycon?

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    What does your diet look like, Psycon?
    Now that's a bit of a difficult question. You see, I've had the strangest eating habits since I was 3. I'm not much of a meat eater - but then I'm also not a vegetarian. I guess you can call me the carbonator.

When I decided to go on this diet, I knew that I'd have to cut down on a lot of the carbs (crips, fries, crackers etc.) that I consumed almost daily. So the first thing I did was to switch from 3 big meals a day, to 6 smaller portions. I then cut out a lot of the carbs, and started replacing them with more fruits, vegetables and wholegrain cereal. I also cut out sodas during the week, and started drinking more water.

Don't get me wrong - I cheated. But I thought it better to consume those guilty pleasures in small quantities rather than to starve myself and then binge eventually. The biggest part of it was exercise though. I went from being the guy who rarely did anything active, to working out anywhere from 5 to 7 times a week. That made all the difference

I would've liked to be more specific. But like I said - my eating habits have always been a bit strange, and I wouldn't expect anybody to really understand.

So I'm almost fully recovered from an injury that I got during my workout regime, unfortunately I've sorta been pigging-out for the last 2 weeks, due to being depressed over not being able to exercise. heh Since tomorrow is the start of a new month, I'm going to try to get back into the swing of things.

Colors make you happy! Rainbow Brite's Avatar
    Since I started taking cinnamon and chromium picolinate supplements to level out my blood sugar, I've lost 7 pounds and maintained that loss. Because my blood sugar is now normal, I don't get those crazy cravings I used to get, so I eat less and don't feel deprived. I'm down to a size 5/6 whereas my old "norm" was a 7/8.

I don't expect to lose much more, but still want to tone up more and be healthier, so a few weeks back I purchased a used tread mill. So far I've only been getting on it a couple times a week, but I want to use it more often. Being able to watch movies while I do it is good motivation

Its really intresting reading everyones personal eperiences of losing weight. It's a massive thing in my life. Every since I can remember I have been either climbing up or sliding down the BMI scale. I never seem to be able to maintaine for very long before my waist line starts to get itchy feet.

There have been quite a few trauma's within my cirlce of family and friends over the past year and lets say I have returned to the old habbits of stuffing my face to deal with things. About a year ago I had managed to get down to about 185 lbs, which I was really happy with. (I am over 6ft tall and was big as a teenager). But over the last year I have put back on about 100 pounds. I am thinking of having the gastric band fitted to help me maintain my weight loss this time, but I have to amdit I am finding it really hard to motovate my self to start trying to lose weight all over again. Has anyone here ever lost a big amount of weight and then put it back on before trying to lose it again?

I was only wondering if anyone had any tips on getting back on the wagon after you have fallen off in royal style?

I have never been a gym kind of guy, but even my doctor is pushing me to give it a go now. She just gave me a free membership to a really nice local gym. But just the thought of walking in there the way I am at the moment, being looked and laughed at by all the pumped up regulars is seriously putting me off. Logically I know this isn't really true, but I just cant seem to get this through my head.

I don't know if any of you have ever been to the UK, but I live in Cornwall and it is one of Europe's major surfing mecca's. Everywhere I look at the moment there are guys who look like He-Man in longer, less furry shorts carrying a board. it's kind of intimidating at times. I know I just need to get over myself and get in there! I keep setting dates but they come and go and I don't seem to have walked through the gym doors. I have never really put out a request for advise on the org before, but if anyone has any they would like to share it would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Angel-T; June 30, 2008 at 09:15pm.
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Angel-T View Post
    Has anyone here ever lost a big amount of weight and then put it back on before trying to lose it again?

I was only wondering if anyone had any tips on getting back on the wagon after you have fallen of in royal style?
    Oh gaud yes! I actually lost a significant amount of weight at the end of last year, and then around January of this year I started slipping back into old habits and gained it all back. I'm the same as you. When I get down or whatever I tend to eat. -- And like with my injury, which prevented me from continuing the workout regime I'd been doing...well I take things like that pretty hard so you can imagine how much I was stuffing my face. -- And it's so hard to get back on track, because I'm always like: "Okay, one more day of bad eating and THEN I'll start!" hehe

Im now down to 216.5 lbs as of this morning

Still on my diet.

I'm just sooooo hungry all the time and am constantly thinking about food / the next meal.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Still on my diet.

I'm just sooooo hungry all the time and am constantly thinking about food / the next meal.
    What kinds of things are you eating?

I've found one thing that keeps me full for a long time is old fashioned Quaker Oats. I'll dump a handful of 'em over my cereal and eat it that way - or make a smoothie/parfait type thing in the blender consisting of strawberries, oranges, and low fat vanilla yogurt and mix some oats into that. They don't have much of a taste so they can be mixed with a lot of things. Plus they're good for you

Hope that helps!

I've lost 31.5 pounds since January! I've also dropped 2 pant sizes, and the size I'm in now is actually kind of loose.

I made it through the Peachtree Road Race, and actually managed to run about 5 miles of it (it's a 10k).

It's really pretty outside today, and there's a breeze, so I'm about to go exercise. Congrats to those who are also losing weight and getting into shape. Let's keep it up!

~Me

Movie mayhem!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainbow Brite View Post
    Since I started taking cinnamon and chromium picolinate supplements to level out my blood sugar, I've lost 7 pounds and maintained that loss. Because my blood sugar is now normal, I don't get those crazy cravings I used to get, so I eat less and don't feel deprived. I'm down to a size 5/6 whereas my old "norm" was a 7/8.

I don't expect to lose much more, but still want to tone up more and be healthier, so a few weeks back I purchased a used tread mill. So far I've only been getting on it a couple times a week, but I want to use it more often. Being able to watch movies while I do it is good motivation
    wait tell me more about this cinnamon and chromium... what does it do? how much do you take?

Quote Originally Posted by gnewton34 View Post
    My mom makes me so mad. I'll buy healthy food to be on a diet and then she'll turn around and make a plate full of peanut butter fudge
    I was looking around on this thread because it was the one that had a recent reply. Anyway, I have the same problem with the above quote even if gnewton34 posted it back in January. When I was in junior high through high school, I used to eat half a package of Oreos with milk when I'd get home from school. I'd grab a bowl and spoon and toss three at a time in. I was a perfectionist (and still am) about keeping all three rows even.

I started college in 2000 and I was about 180lbs. and a complete stick then. After I graduated, I got up to 230lbs. from working out and procuring a beer gut. While I was trying to get rid of my Special-K pinch and keep myself on track with a well balanced diet, my mom would still buy Oreos and give them to me. I would always tell her to stop and she'd be like "oh, you'll eat them." No, I don't need them. She doesn't need them either because she found out about five or six years ago that she's got diabetes. That doesn't stop her from eating junk food and not exercising. Anyway, that's a different story. If she slips into a diabetic coma or gets her leg amputated, I won't be too terribly surprised.

There were times when she'd put that delicious bane of my existence into the shopping cart at Wal-Mart. I'd be in a foul mood, pick that package of cookies up without saying a word to her and put them back on the shelf. Sure, I was going and doing other things that weren't very condusive to losing weight, but I didn't need Oreos on top of my extra cirricular activities.

Really long story short, I've been dropping that weight since I got an acting job over a year ago.

In fact, here's a picture from when my blonde-headed countenance played an Indian. Actually, I was supposed to be a full-blooded Cherokee. In real life, I'm actually 1/64 Cherokee. The guy to my right, also a Yoneg (white man in Cherokee), played my dad.

http://www.muskogeephoenix.com/featu...rces_photoview

I got down to around 210 or so when I took the apartment assistant management job. After our 90-day trial period, my wife and I got into a gym and my 38 inch waist pants got looser. You can also attrribute it to the highly moderate physical activity with the occupation. Nevertheless, I eventually got down to, and can still fit into my old 34 inch jeans and shorts. They're a little snug on me, but that's just some light at the end of the tunnel. Right now, I'm around 195 lbs. It sucks for me because I liked having a WWE heavyweight champion calibur weight. I just didn't like the bulk in my midsection. Hopefully, I'll get back up there and trim down the waist and define my abs.

The only reason why I mention going from 210 to 195 in about four months is that I was "poking smot" hardcore during that time period. Yeah, I indulged in the munchies and all too, but I still lost weight? That does not make any sense to me whatsoever. I've been clean for the past two months primarily because my wife and I completely called it quits with that hell mouth apartment complex and its corporate entity so we could have a better chance of finding work. Still, some of my pudge has kinda resurfaced during the twilight of my time there, but I can assure you that I'll get back down to being slim and trim and regain my 220 weight. I might be 30 and look like that fake-tanned geriatric on the Bowflex commercials by the time I do it, but that's a goal I will eventually achieve and I'm positive I can.

Also, good luck to all of you who have taken up arms in your own battles of the buldge. It's not easy, but it's commendable that you do your best and keep plugging away at it every day. Even if you don't see what you expected as soon as you want, continuing your work toward your goal will definitely make you feel good about it. Before long, you'll eventually find what you've been after.

Peace.
    I make my own MOTU video game stuff. Check it out.

dA - wallbie.deviantart.com
    YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/user/wallbieswarriors
    Daily Motion - http://www.dailymotion.com/wallbie#video=x14o6e4

Am I imagining things, or was my last post deleted from this thread?

"Oh dearie my!" Mer-Man's Minion's Avatar
    I thought I was like 195, but I got on the scale at the gym last week---with shorts, sleeveless tee, and tennis shoes on, and I was 185.

I just want my "gut" to go down. I'm so tall that I "look" skinny, but with my shirt off, you can see my tummy pokes out some. So I'm hopin' to get that reduced some (while in the mean time continuing to tone my chest, arms, and legs).
    Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

Quote Originally Posted by Patreek View Post
    wait tell me more about this cinnamon and chromium... what does it do? how much do you take?
    They won't help you unless you have blood sugar issues, but Cinnamon isn't very expensive so it won't hurt you to try it out. Start with 500mg/day and see if you notice a difference. If so, stick with the 500 unless it starts losing some of its effectiveness, then you can bump it up to 1,000mg - but don't go over that because it has blood thinning properties as well. The Chromium Picolinate never seemed to do much for me, so I stopped taking it.

I'm on yet another diet. I feel like I'm never gonna get out of this cycle.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."