Thread: NIGHT STALKER and STRIDOR (humanoid upgrades)

NIGHT STALKER and STRIDOR (humanoid upgrades)

This is a long-delayed follow-up to my take on Stridor. It's Night Stalker, now outfitted with the same humanoid transformation that I gave to Stridor. I drew Night Stalker with a slightly heavier build than Stridor, and some different details. He is armed with Asian weaponry as a nod to the fact that he was typically portrayed as the steed of Jitsu, Skeletor's token Asian henchman. The pole-arm is a Pudao also know as a horse-cutter, and the swords are a set of Daisho. And I slapped a bat-cape on him because I have a tough time not giving cool villains bat-capes.

His title of "Evil Armored Dragoon" owes to the fact that I found a definition that described a Dragoon as "a soldier trained to fight on foot but who transports himself on horseback." This seemed like the perfect description for a transforming horse warrior. Elsewhere, I found that Dragoon or Dragoon Guard referred to heavy cavalry, which was appropriate to the bulkier look that I gave night Stalker.

Last but not least, the nerdy, in-depth bio:

PROFILE: A brilliant strategic mind and a brutally effective warrior, NIGHT STALKER is every bit the match for his brother Stridor. But where Stridor is gentle and merciful, Night Stalker is brooding and unforgiving. He adheres to a strict code of honor, but nonetheless believes might makes right. This harsh sense of honor has earned him the friendship and trust of the similarly dispositioned Jitsu.

Night Stalker is outfitted with standard Stridor-type weaponry (dual heavy laser cannons, and a rapid-fire hip blaster)--however, he prefers to engage in melee combat with his custom-made horse-cutter or Daisho swords. He commands a regiment of Equestris mercenaries with a few other renegade Stridor units mixed in.

HISTORY: Night Stalker was the first of the mass-produced Stridor units, and was groomed to be the original Stridor's second-in-command. Although their personalities were like night and day, the two considered each other brothers and were a formidable team on the battlefield. In time, Night Stalker was promoted, and became commander of his own unit.

During a heat wave, Night Stalker and his troops were sent to perform crowd control in a town where drought and food shortage were causing riots and looting. They had been dispatched with the idea that their imposing stature would be enough to intimidate the angry mobs into submission--on the contrary, because of their greatly superior size and strength, the troops couldn't act against the relatively weak humans for fear of harming them. Night Stalker had no choice but to withdraw his troops. However, the rioters had become increasingly aggravated, and Night Stalker and his troops found their backs against the city walls. A make-shift bomb was thrown, a nearby wagon transporting fuel was ignited, and the ensuing explosion brought the city walls down on top of the Stridors. All the troops under Night Stalker's command were destroyed, and he himself was damaged almost beyond repair--there were no human casualties.

The incident changed Night Stalker forever. He blamed himself, feeling that had he used force to decisively end the conflict, his troops would still be alive. Why, he asked himself, should the strong suffer at the hands of the weak? Night Stalker became increasingly insubordinate, and finally deserted his post. Stridor tracked Night Stalker down and attempted to talk to his brother. Their conversation became heated, and Night Stalker lashed out; an intense duel ensued, and Night Stalker got the best of Stridor. He restrained himself from making the killing blow, and disappeared into the wildnerness.

Night Stalker became a mercenary, and occasionally a bandit. He eventually crossed paths with Jitsu--though the two were initially contentious, Jitsu saw that they shared a common worldview, and he recruited Night Stalker to Skeletor's cause. Since then, Night Stalker has swayed a few other disillusioned Stridor units to join his forces.

Stridor remains determined to bring his brother back to the fold.

and here's my version of Stridor, which i did about a year ago:

to read the bio: http://bootlegsketch.blogspot.com/2007/02/humanoid-robotic-horse-is-horse-of.html
    Visit my sketchblog at its new URL: JASONBOT.com!

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    *rightclicksave*

*rightclicksave*

Cool stuff bootleg as always. Night stalker looks very cool
    http://galvatronartstuff.blogspot.com/

Check My Fan Characters
    -------------------------------------------
    Press here to see Houndor
    Press here to see Aetheron

Evil Master of Propane Ghost of Vapor's Avatar
    Whoa! Those are excellent!
    Get Over HERE!: Visit www.retro-daze.com

Trade References: Rodimus75, pH6, Guard Of The South, Vegtablesam, xXBBestXx, Riddle of Steel, AdultCollector

My feedback thread.

Master of Power Suction Killian's Avatar
    Cool. Very 30'30 from BraveStarr-esque
    He who dies with the most MOTUC wins!

lookin' good(not completely sold on Night Stalkers weps, but ya gotta indulge every now and again)...let's seem 'em back to back in one pic, or front to front in a big staredown...

Yeah, I'm not sure how's Nigh Stalker is gonna be able to use samurai swords either but I do like his big blade there!
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

Kickin' It Old Skool! Alex The Kid's Avatar
    Very nice! Great concepts you got there.

Movie mayhem!
    awesome! :-)

Absolutely fantastic Bootleg!!
    I had both He-Man Horseies as a kid, so it is a rare & wonderful find to you see you bring them together, as brother rivals with such phenominal art & backgound story!!
    Check out my MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ART & More at my ART BLOG!!!

JafariStew's ART BLOG!! UPDATED 3.31.17!!

Jafaristew...the guy that coined the term "200X."

I like him! I'm not sold on the cape, but I'm gonna say I enjoy the weapons.

thanks everyone, i appreciate the feedback! it's always interesting to hear what people do and do not like when it comes to a revision of an existing character like this.

skeletoncrew: talk to me buddy--what don't you like about the weapons? and what do you envision in their place? as for a group shot/scene of these two, or someone else, i'll give it a shot--little bit more discussion about that in my other thread.
    Pig Boy: the only thing i have to say for night stalker is that his chunky hands have got to be more nimble than they look for him to use those swords.
    JafariStew: you're too generous man, thank you very much!
    j-bird: i'll admit, i just kinda tossed the cape on. i'm still fond of it--but i'd like to know what about it bugs you? that is, if you don't mind me picking your brain.

Not sure about the cape, but I'm liking the style my friend I think the only thing I would change is having the guns on his neck facing the same way as his head...if you see what I mean.
    JITSU!!!! Thank the Elder Gods!!!!

DeviantART - http://super-munkyboy.deviantart.com

Commissions - [TBA]

Quote Originally Posted by bootleg View Post
    thanks everyone, i appreciate the feedback! it's always interesting to hear what people do and do not like when it comes to a revision of an existing character like this.

j-bird: i'll admit, i just kinda tossed the cape on. i'm still fond of it--but i'd like to know what about it bugs you? that is, if you don't mind me picking your brain.
    I think it's the scale of the cape itself. Right now it feels to me like you did just tack it on. It might be better for it to either be gone altogether or for there to be more of it - maybe a cowl/mantle/hood type of thing over the shoulders? Basically, to have the cape's bulk more in line with that of the figure.

But that's just my take on it - I still like it overall.

KNOCK-OFF MESSIAH galaxy warrior's Avatar
    great work. i dig the weps for nightstalker cause i see where your going with him. im not keen on the cape but otherwise is stellar.

THE CONTINUING WORLD OF MOTU

http://cotuworld.blogspot.com/

A big fan of Slush Head
    These are awesome!!! They remind me of 30-30 from Bravestar
    http://mikebock.deviantart.com/
    SLUSH HEAD FINALLY SHOWED UP IN MOTUC YAY!!!

skeletoncrew: talk to me buddy--what don't you like about the weapons? and what do you envision in their place?
    i think it is because the weapons are a little too "ethnic" for my taste starts to take things in 200X range...obviously characters like JITSU, NINJOR, and CLAMP CHAMP in particular are meant to represent earth "races" or ethnicities aka asians and africans...however, i tend to chalk this up to "coincidence", not the fact the are actually earth asians or africans(like Marlena is an earth caucasian, who happens to look just like eternian "caucasians")...

for the most part the classic figures and weapons seems pretty neutral as far as ethnicity(i guess ninjor's nunchuks break this pattern a bit)...it comes into 200X with such ridiculous concepts like SAMURAI MAN-AT-ARMS and i think these weapons with classic NIGHT STALKER kinda reminds me of that kind of inappropriate concept smashing...

whilst your weapon choices are cool looking and all i think they are a bit too specific and would be better served being a little more "neutral"...i can see matching JITSU's katana(or whatever sword it is, don't bite my head off 'cause i'm not a weapons expert), but even he didn't have a scabbard with his sword...

anyways, that's my two cents...but, like i said earlier sometims ya gotta indulge yourself in your art...

"Inappropriate concept" for MotU?

I guess to each their own, but I don't think there is such a thing that could be considered "inappropriate" in terms of concepts behind any given character in MotU.

Start at the beginning, we got Death for a bad guy, and a nordic/barbaric/viking hero on a green tiger.
    A mechanical knight in yellow armor and a warrior goddess that looks more like a Redhead amazon. An orange gorilla in step with the creature from the black lagoon.

Falcons anyone?

As the line progressed, we got a bumble bee dude, a spider, a snake and a skunk.

Though I don't care for the characters Ninjor or the cowboy Rio Blast, I still wouldn't call them "inappropriate concepts" for MotU.
    Much of the overall appeal of MotU is that there is a cool character for everybody. Call it muddy, call it cluttered, but whatever you call it, you can't deny it's appeal. That's how it's been from the get go... Earth concepts with a twist, anything goes.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Baena View Post
    "Inappropriate concept" for MotU?

I guess to each their own, but I don't think there is such a thing that could be considered "inappropriate" in terms of concepts behind any given character in MotU.

Start at the beginning, we got Death for a bad guy, and a nordic/barbaric/viking hero on a green tiger.
    A mechanical knight in yellow armor and a warrior goddess that looks more like a Redhead amazon. An orange gorilla in step with the creature from the black lagoon.

Falcons anyone?

As the line progressed, we got a bumble bee dude, a spider, a snake and a skunk.

Though I don't care for the characters Ninjor or the cowboy Rio Blast, I still wouldn't call them "inappropriate concepts" for MotU.
    i'm with ya, i didn't call them "inappropriate concepts" you are putting words(or in this case a partial quote) in my mouth...and i personally dig RIO BLAST quite a bit, as weird as a cyborg sherrif is...

buy "inappropriate concept smashing"(the full quote) i was speaking more about 200X and like eternians ie man-at-arms, he-man, or skelly being smashed with ancient samurais of earth...i find the two concepts shouldn't be put together and i think most people agree these were weak figures and weak concepts...and in this case i get a little of that taste in my mouth from NIGHT STALKER's weapons...but, bootleg is a big boy and he will do what he wants/likes to do and takes what i(or anybody else says) with a grain of salt...

it is art, so everything is relative...
    Last edited by skeletoncrew; February 6, 2008 at 08:53pm.

Pig Boy: the only thing i have to say for night stalker is that his chunky hands have got to be more nimble than they look for him to use those swords.
    He may have nimble hands but he looks a little limited. How do you expect him to do the cool flips and samurai stuff?? Aaaahhh...explain that one!!
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

Quote Originally Posted by skeletoncrew View Post
    i'm with ya, i didn't call them "inappropriate concepts" you are putting words(or in this case a partial quote) in my mouth...and i personally dig RIO BLAST quite a bit, as weird as a cyborg sherrif is...

buy "inappropriate concept smashing"(the full quote) i was speaking more about 200X and like eternians ie man-at-arms, he-man, or skelly being smashed with ancient samurais of earth...i find the two concepts shouldn't be put together and i think most people agree these were weak figures and weak concepts...and in this case i get a little of that taste in my mouth from NIGHT STALKER's weapons...but, bootleg is a big boy and he will do what he wants/likes to do and takes what i(or anybody else says) with a grain of salt...

it is art, so everything is relative...
    Fair enough, I misread and partially quoted what you were really trying to say on your take there then on what makes a concept acceptable for MotU. My most sincere apologies there. Believe me I've not got a deep mischievous agenda against you in any way at all. That was strictly my bad and my misunderstanding as I quickly read your post.

But I still take the stance even for the Samurai figs. It's really not that out of place for MotU. I'll agree with you, I'm not fond of the concepts for He-Man and Skeletor to be "smashed" (uh oh, not a full quote there "Inappropriate concept smashing") with a samurai motif. But I don't think it's out of place for MotU. Or moreso, how Mattel has handled MotU from the very beginning.

I think it boils down to what you said... It's art, so everything is relative. I can see it one way, you can see it another, Mattel sees it in even a different way than the two of us. But what Mattel did make in MotU, they basically made it such that you CAN smash He-Man with a samurai concept, a space concept, a barbarian concept, and he's still He-Man. What we choose to enjoy for our personal collections or dreams and fantasies surrounding how we see MotU is up to us individually.
    Not saying you have to like it, I'm just calling a spade a spade in what the overall concepts are behind MotU. It's a Universe of anything goes.

So you don't like how bootleg handled the swords n' guns and whatnot, that's totally cool and fine. And you're right, he's a big boy and will do what he wants for his art as he sees it. If he chooses to follow your direction, that's his choice and his decision as to whether or not he thinks his art will improve by implementing your comments.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

ack... i meant to reply to this thread a million years ago! procrastination and short term memory strike again!

super-munkyboy: thanks man, i see what you mean. the guns are meant to be capable of rotating forward and back, and i think i just put them in the backward position so as to avoid a tangent with his polearm.

j-bird: cool, thanks for the feedback!

galaxy warrior: thanks man, i appreciate it.

Mike Bock: thanks! dang... i always forget to mention 30-30, and i should because he's definitely an influence here.

Eamon: un... err.. um...

skeletoncrew and Baena: this is the kind of discussion i love to see! i'm always curious about different people's concepts of motu, especially since motu is really based on the mixing of genres (fantasy + sci fi). in fact, for most people in my age range (30), motu was probably the first genre-mixing they had ever seen. nowadays, its common place (steampunk fantasy is everywhere), but in the early 80's, it was unusual and groundbreaking!

for my part, the reason i gave the asian styles to nightstalker, is because in my mind he will always be associated as jitsu's mount, just as stridor is fisto's mount. i like all aspects of motu, but i tend to follow filmation the most (though i can do without most of the corny humor), and considering that you would occasionally see weird things like adam being trained in hand to hand combat by a sumo wrestler ( http://www.he-man.org/cartoon/cmotu-...se/mishi.shtml ), i don't personally see asian weapons as being too specific. i realize though that many people don't follow the filmation path, which is ok by me.

everyone has the 'line they won't cross' when it comes to acceptable genre-mixing, and for me as a kid, it was bringing in the western themes with rio blast. however, now as an adult, i think that stuff is great! particularly after watching my "new adventures" dvd's (a couple of wild-west episodes in the series), i can really see how a western-ish theme can be brought to life in the motu setting.

at any rate, thanks for all the discussion. i love it!