View Poll Results: Royalt1us' 3rd Annual Fan Based Character Contest 2nd Round Poll #5 Run Off

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • AN-GAR

20 22.47%
  • FLAP-FRIGHT

31 34.83%
  • HIPROAR

38 42.70%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Royalt1us' 3rd Annual Fan Based Character Contest 2nd Round Poll #5 Run Off

Eternian Sculpter Wannabe Royalt1us's Avatar

Royalt1us' 3rd Annual Fan Based Character Contest 2nd Round Poll #5 Run Off

Here we go with Round 2 Poll #5 Run-Off.

Now, I just want to reiterate my hope in the outcome of this contest each year. I hope that we come up with a unique Fan Created Character that really adds something to MOTU. I hope to see something unlike anything in MOTU so far, yet able to fit right in as well. That being said, I think all the characters are great and I wish everyone the best of luck!

You can only vote for your 1 character in this poll. The winner of this poll will move onto this years final. If there is a tie I choose who moves on.

This poll will be up for 1 days.

Votes cast in this poll are made public, so don't vote if you don't want anyone to know who you voted for.

Feel free to post your own pics of these characters in this thread.
    Here are the characters in the last poll of Round 2:

Bigger pics will be posted below. You will notice that I have added, or changed, a few things, on a couple characters. This is my chance to add my ideas to the mix, for better or worse. I hope you all enjoy them.

AN-GAR

FLAP-FRIGHT

HIPROAR

PLEASE POST ANY ADDITIONAL INFORMATION and PICS ABOUT YOUR CHARACTER IN THIS THREAD!

Now cast your vote and spread the word!

Good luck to all!
    Check out ROYAL-T's Customs at:
    Dinner Table Creations

WRAPTOR, LAVA_SHARK, PO-LAR, LAVA-SHARK v.2 (Might-Bite), EMPRISSS, SPY-FLY, and OOZOR, are all available now.

Hiproar's got my vote once again... what a great design, Tom! I love her.
    The former Glass Shrimp also known as See-Shell

and an-gar got mine again

An-Gar got mine again but those are some amazing updates on HipRoar, FlapFright, you never cease to amaze Royal
    Last edited by TekkamanSol; February 7, 2008 at 11:04am.

An-Gar gets my vote again. Here he is my vision for his colour.

NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

Movie mayhem!

HIPROAR

Hiproar, a member of the Potomor race, grew up during Masters of the Universe's Preternia era and is from a family known for their warriors. From the day she could walk Hiproar began training and is now one of the most skilled warriors in all of Eternia. She has spent her whole life at the side of Eternia's other great heros defending it from evil masters that seek to control and or destroy the planet.

One of these evil beings was known as Terror Dactyl and he was involved in what could have been the most horrible event in Eternian history. In the future Hordak had harnessed a time traveling gateway but so far all attempts to send a living creature through it has resulted in death. He had been able to send inanimate objects through though so he made contact with Terror Dactyl. Promising to supply Terror Dactyl with all the future weapons he'd need to take over the planet, Hordak asked him for one favor in return: the destruction of Castle Greyskull.

Terror Dactyl and all his men were waiting outside the castle and Hiproar and Rillo had been sent to find out what he is up to and stop him. Suddenly a huge portal opened up above the castle and a giant machine gravitated to the ground. In typical villain fashion Terror Dactyl gave a stirring speech about what is about to happen and his henchmen begin preparing the weapon for fire.

Hiproar and Rillo lept into action working their way up to the weapon they need to disable. Terror Dacdyl was able to take down Rillo as Hiproar ripped through some of Dactyl’s men. Finally, Hiproar made it to the machine and unsure of exactly what she needed to do to destroy it took her axe and smashed into it... Suddenly electricity erupted from the weapon and a red glowing energy shot out from it into the sky. Hitting the portal the energy beam makes the portal rip apart become volatile. Suddenly great winds began sucking everything around Hiproar into the portal. She heard Terror Dactyl scream out "nooo" as she saw him carried up into the giant hole in the sky just then she saw Rillo’s body begin to lurch up into the air, she caught his hand just in time but the force of the wind was too strong and he was carried off. Just the, she was struck from behind by a teary eyed and very upset henchmen who screamed out, “you've killed our king.” He hit her again this time sending her hurtling into the sky, where she was blown straight into the portal storm.

The volital storm has sent the three through space and time. Hiproar finds herself in the same location but hundreds of years in the future. She is guided by a voice in her head (the sorceress) to the Royal Palace where she finds her good friend Rillo. It turns up he’s been here a whole week longer then she has and is completely recuperated. After the Defenders of Eternia help the pair figure out what is going on Hiproar and Rillo join up with He-man and set off to Etheria to stop Hordak before he can repair his time travel machine.

DESCRIPTION:
    A blue-purple skintone, almost lavender, Hiproar is very tall and big boned. Her skin is thick and creates a sort of armor for her. She is semi aquatic able to fight and move just as easily in the water as she does on land.

POWERS:
    -Enhanced Strength
    -Skilled warrior
    -A booming roar that can be heard for miles and throw back enemies
    -Extremely tough hard to penetrate skin
    -Like real hippos, her skin can secrete a redish salve to help her regenerate quickly after an injury.

see an-gar was perfect to begin with and didn't need to be fixed...like the others.....

Movie mayhem!
    Quote Originally Posted by gatchagrey View Post
    see an-gar was perfect to begin with and didn't need to be fixed...like the others.....

Anyway, here is An-gar's Bio:

An-Gar

Origin

A little over 21 years ago, Alexander’s father, Krismus, a Gar man known for his excellent skills as a blacksmith, began working for Prince Keldor, a man trying to take over Eternia. Krismus had never been happy with the Eternian nobility, feeling that the Gars were treated unfairly. With Keldor, a man whose Gar heritage was obvious, he felt that the Gars would finally be given the respect that they deserved.

Krismus faithfully made weapons for Keldor’s troops, feeling that the rebellion was just. However, over time as he saw how Keldor treated the villages that he succeeded in taking over, his faith in Keldor began to wane. Feeling that Keldor was nothing more than a tyrannical despot, Krismus chose to help the Eternian royal family instead, helping to arm their soldiers. Before Krismus could leave, Keldor learnt of his plans and ordered Beastman to capture the family.

At the time of their capture, Alexander was only 4 years old. Keldor, being a truly sadistic and sick creature, forced Alexander to watch as his father was tortured and finally killed by Beastman. What Alexander was forced to watch Skeletor’s troops do to his mother, is best left unsaid. After Alexander’s parents had been dispatched, Keldor was going to simply put Alexander to death, but Evil Lyn told Keldor that perhaps he could be put to better use. Instead of simply killing the child, why not mold him into a loyal servant of Keldor?

Alexander, his mind already warped by the demise of his parents, was further twisted and turned by Keldor (later Skeletor) and his magic. Evil Lyn raised the child, subtly torturing him and desensitizing him, turning him into the perfect weapon for Skeletor. Over the years, Alexander grew up strong and fanatically loyal to Skeletor.

From a young age, Alexander was trained in the arts of war. Triklops taught him swordsmanship, while Whiplash taught him unarmed melee combat. Beastman taught him about nature, helping him become a keen tracker and hunter. Evil Lyn and Skeletor himself taught him magic, seeing that he was a natural sorceror.

Alexander is now 25 years old and Skeletor feels it is time for Eternia’s champions to learn of his existence. The darkness is here.

Personality and Appearance

Being a Gar, Alexander’s skin is blue. He is about 5’11 and weighs 160 lbs. His body is tightly muscled and is flesh is crisscrossed with scars. Some of the scars are from the conditioning that he received at the hands of Evil Lyn and Skeletor and some of it is self inflicted with a ritualistic dagger. Alexander wears some plate mail armor, with exposed arms and stomach. The scars are plainly visible on his exposed flesh and glow brighter as he uses his hate magic.

Alexander is a cold and cruel man. He has little interest in conversation and prefers to be left alone. When he wants something from someone, he takes it. Needless to say, Eternian women prefer not to gain his attention.

He seldom shows emotion, yet he is filled with a cold rage. Unlike those whose anger is hot, he never loses control. It instead strengthens him, making him more precise and deadly.

He has no memory of his parents anymore. His past is blocked, partially because of the horrors he saw, partially due to the warping effects of Evil Lyn and Skeletor’s magic.

Alexander’s facial appearance is something that has led to much debate as to the truth of his lineage. He looks much like Keldor himself once did, but no one is sure why. Some think that perhaps Keldor sired Alexander behind Krismus’ back, while others think that perhaps Krismus was in some way distantly related to Keldor through Keldor’s Gar heritage, while others feel that perhaps Skeletor’s magic is the reason. Those who think that it is due to Skeletor’s magic feel that Skeletor has grown close to the boy views him as a possible heir, feeling that the future ruler of Eternia should share his natural features. In the end, no one knows the truth. It may simply be coincidence, but none have had the courage to ask Skeletor the truth.

Skills and Powers

Alexander inherited Krismus’ skill as a blacksmith and works to supply Skeletor’s troops with high quality melee weapons. For himself, he has created a sword and battle axe, feeling that a shield would be unneeded for one with his skills.

He is a well trained sorceror, focusing primarily on offensive skills and a few shield spells. He doesn’t care much for entrapment magic, figuring that it is much more efficient to either kill or cripple his opponents.

Alexander has mastered a rare and valuable form of magic that few can ever master. As his anger increases, all of his skills increase as well. His strength grows, although it will never grow to the levels of He-Man or Thanatos, it becomes high enough to be a suitable match for just about any other warrior on Eternia. His senses improve, to the point where they will match the senses of many animals, for instance his sense of smell improves to the point where he can track his prey and his vision improves to the point where he can effectively see in the dark. When using a bow he becomes much more accurate, and his swordsmanship improves to a point where it rivals Eternia’s greatest warriors. Even his magical abilities increase to the point where his offensive attacks are comparable to those of Evil Lyn or Count Marzo. Because of this magical power, his weakness is that his abilities decrease drastically when he is calmed down and his rage subsides, to the point where he simply has the skills of an exceptionally well trained, yet human warrior.

I think it needs to be mentioned that all of these characters were originally part of the written entries and only had written descriptions of what they looked like before now. With the exception of An-Gar who got drawn during his first round vote, this is the first time any of these characters are being put to paper and evolution during the voting process was/is inevitable. To punish the other characters because they continue to be fleshed out isn't very fair for two reasons. Firstly because An-Gar too has changed since his original concept from his now bare mid-drift, havok-staff motif chest plate, and his name from Wrath to An-Gar. Secondly, the written entries are the most liquid of all the characters because they were just pure imagination, and nailing the look of those characters on first try is almost impossible. It's through working with the creator the artist can bring forth the character that was originally intended. I wish all three characters the best of luck on this poll, but hope HipRoar comes out victorious.

Flap Fright all the way... I'm really loving the updated look & I think he'll be my pick for the finals as well providing he advances. The Evil Master of Deceit looks fantastic.
    My DA Page

www.TheBeastLegion.com is officially online. You can read the Manga in it's entirity there! Hope you give it a try enjoy it.

Beast Legion FaceBook Page ...Join me & help spread the word!!

Flap Fright here

Here is Flap-Frights bio

Colored version by 2-bad

Weapon: Poleaxe with moth wing-styled blades.
    Powers: Flight, camouflage, "Terror Wings" and hallucinogenic dust.
    Race: Antherid

Backstory:
    The moth-man, Flap-Fright is a deceptive creature. He can hide in wait for passers-by and then suddenly open his monstrous wings, revealing a horrible face on the inside! Then he shoots a terrible dust which can cause even the hardiest warrior to lose his senses and begin attacking his allies! The dust causes hallucinations, which make everything the victim sees into a grotesque mockery of it's true self!

Hailing from the Vine Jungle, Flap-Fright ambushed Skeletor and his Evil Warriors by shooting the dust at them, causing the henchmen to become hysterical and turn on each other. Skeletor, unaffected by the dust, due to his lack of a nose, recruited Flap-Fright, because he saw the potential for endless amusement, if and when the dust was used on the Masters of the Universe.

Due to a long and bitter racial rivalry with the Andreenids, Flap-Fright takes special delight in tormenting Buzz-Off. However, he is afraid of Webstor and avoids him at all costs. Flap-Fright is also drawn hypnotically to strong light-sources.

Description:
    Fur: Creamy brown on most of his body, with white and brown streaks. The back side of his wings is decorated with a monstrous, frightening face that is used to startle his enemies!
    Real Eyes: Red, multifaceted.
    Fake Eyes: Purple and yellow.

Here are some other pics with different thems of Flap-Fright

Last edited by Galvatron; February 8, 2008 at 04:06am.
    http://galvatronartstuff.blogspot.com/

Check My Fan Characters
    -------------------------------------------
    Press here to see Houndor
    Press here to see Aetheron

Co-Creator of the NV
    Quote Originally Posted by ZvedaFire View Post
    I think it needs to be mentioned that all of these characters were originally part of the written entries and only had written descriptions of what they looked like before now. With the exception of An-Gar who got drawn during his first round vote, this is the first time any of these characters are being put to paper and evolution during the voting process was/is inevitable. To punish the other characters because they continue to be fleshed out isn't very fair for two reasons. Firstly because An-Gar too has changed since his original concept from his now bare mid-drift, havok-staff motif chest plate, and his name from Wrath to An-Gar. Secondly, the written entries are the most liquid of all the characters because they were just pure imagination, and nailing the look of those characters on first try is almost impossible. It's through working with the creator the artist can bring forth the character that was originally intended. I wish all three characters the best of luck on this poll, but hope HipRoar comes out victorious.
    Actually Flap Fright was also drawn in the first round and has changed fairly drastically from original concept to now, particularly his head.

Edit: Thanks for putting up my bio pat

Eternian Sculpter Wannabe Royalt1us's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Latveria View Post
    Actually Flap Fright was also drawn in the first round and has changed fairly drastically from original concept to now, particularly his head.

Edit: Thanks for putting up my bio pat
    Yeah, but I never saw that until it was posted in the Rd 2 poll. Therefore I merged some of my design with some of the elements I saw in the pic in round 2.

For everyones consideration, last night I contacted each of the 3 creators to ask/offer them the chance to make 3 suggestions to improve my design in line with their ideas. I also told them that I may make changes based on feedback from voting in poll #5.

That said, all 3 had an equal chance to make it to this run-off, they all had equal opportunity to suggest changes, and now they all have an equal chance to move on to the Final.

Enough said? Good. Let's vote.
    Check out ROYAL-T's Customs at:
    Dinner Table Creations

WRAPTOR, LAVA_SHARK, PO-LAR, LAVA-SHARK v.2 (Might-Bite), EMPRISSS, SPY-FLY, and OOZOR, are all available now.

I noticed that they are all Axe-wielding characters.

But I had to go with Hip-roar. Anyone could take a hippo-based character and turn her into this walking wall, but you gotta respect a hippo that can turn heads! (In a good way )

Movie mayhem!
    Quote Originally Posted by hawggie View Post
    I noticed that they are all Axe-wielding characters.

But I had to go with Hip-roar. Anyone could take a hippo-based character and turn her into this walking wall, but you gotta respect a hippo that can turn heads! (In a good way )
    haha, i love it that Hiproar has become this unlikely sex-icon ;-) I may have to find someone to do a pinup of her.

While flap-fright has had an amazing touch up, I still had to put the vote down for hiproar. She is fantastic. I love the look, and yeah she is kind of a head turner.

I think in this 3-way run off chances are slim for An-Gar and Flap-Fright - if it were one of the two against Hip-Roar maybe one of them could perhaps beat her (the people who do not like Hip-Roar could concentrate on just one design), but this way I think the results will be very clear. Congratulations to Hip-Roar

Evil master of... stuff. He-Lurker's Avatar
    I originally did not like Hip-Roar's 1st human design. However, after seeing this new design, I'm sold!!

Evil Master of Meejitz super-munkyboy's Avatar
    These new pics are amazing...but I must stick with my first choice orignally. Hip-Roar nearly swayed my choice......
    JITSU!!!! Thank the Elder Gods!!!!

DeviantART - http://super-munkyboy.deviantart.com

Commissions - [TBA]

An-Gar all the way! He's design is amazing and it's really great to see some characters of the same race get made! Gar are very cool. He has totaly got my vote.

As for a hippo lady...that just kinda creeps me out a bit. haha. She's a fun design, but there is just something I don't like about hippo characters. They look more like comedy relief to me. And motu has enough of that.
    Click on Amazon or Barnes and Noble for a free sample of my first book, Paradigm Shift Saga: Malediction!

A short story of monsters and magic!

GO HIPROAR!

Woo hoo!
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

Movie mayhem!
    I can assure you Hiproar would not be comic relief. She's a very proud noble sexxy and strong hippo woman breaking old tired molds which demean Hippos as a people. ;-)

I am sorry If I have offended the hippo community in any way. I hope Hiproar doesn’t feel that I’ve stereotyped her too badly. But, I think An-Gar backs me on this one….Cause he’s awesome.
    Click on Amazon or Barnes and Noble for a free sample of my first book, Paradigm Shift Saga: Malediction!

A short story of monsters and magic!

Co-Creator of the NV
    Quote Originally Posted by davidlogan View Post
    I am sorry If I have offended the hippo community in any way. I hope Hiproar doesn’t feel that I’ve stereotyped her too badly. But, I think An-Gar backs me on this one….Cause he’s awesome.
    From what I can tell, An-Gar doesn't like anyone. He has some serious aggression issues!