Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dark Legacies - Part I

Hybrid View

Chicago, Illinois (but my heart will always be in the UK)

Dark Legacies - Part I

It's taken far longer than I expected, but I finally present to you:

With Artwork by Ofty, Gbagok, and Telkan2

Works Cited

The majority of characters and locations incorporated into this story are the sole property of one of the companies listed below:

Mattel, Inc.
    333 Continental Boulevard
    El Segundo, CA 90245
    310-252-2000

Mike Young Productions
    20335 Ventura Boulevard, Suite 225
    Woodland Hills, CA 91364
    818-999-0062

Filmation Studios

For continuity purposes, in my efforts to piece together a coherent history and storyline, certain parts of this story rely on elements taken from the “He-Man and the Masters of the Universe” televisions series(es) and comics. Material was borrowed from the following sources:

Comics:

Masters of the Universe: Icons of Evil: Beastman

Krikman, Robert, Ian Richter, Val Staples (w), Tony Moore (p), and Val Staples and Mark Sweeney (i). “Beastman.” Masters of the Universe, Icons of Evil #1 [One-Shot] (June 2003), Image Comics.

Masters of the Universe: Icons of Evil: Tri-Klops

Krikman, Robert, Ian Richter, Val Staples (w), Diogenes Neves, Antony Bilal, Renato Arlem, et al. (p), and Bill Crabtree and Ron Riley (i). “Tri-Klops.” Masters of the Universe, Icons of Evil #1 [One-Shot] (October 2003), CrossGen Publishing, LLC.

Masters of the Universe: Volume 3, Issue 5

Santalucia, Emiliano, Lori Ann Scott, Val Staples (w), Enza Fontana, Emiliano Santalucia (p), and James Offredi and Deidre Vance (i). Masters of the Universe [Volume 3], #5 (July 2004), MVCreations, LLC

Television Episodes (2002 – 2003):

“Beginning, The (Part I)”
    “Ties that Bind, The”
    “Snake Pit”
    “Separation”
    “Out of the Past”
    “Rise of the Snake Men (Part I)”
    “Price of Deceit”
    “Power of Grayskull, The”
    “History”

This work is solely that of a fan who wishes to honor the characters (and thereby the creators of said characters) that sparked in him a passion for fantasy and creativity that remains with him to this very day. No infringement on the copyrights or the creative talents of others from whom I’ve borrowed is intended. Thank you!
    Last edited by Telkan2; May 26, 2008 at 03:30pm.
    MORE POP AND NEW ADVENTURES REPRESENTATION IN MOTUC PLEASE!

Dark Legacies
    MVC Comics - Collected Info About the Comics

Zoar28, Facebook

Prologue

A hulking man stood at the mouth of a cave, his enormous frame blocking all sunlight. He walked slowly into the echoing chamber, his head bowed, disheveled hair hiding his features. The man stopped beside a small, fiery pit, and knelt on one knee. “Welcome,” an ethereal voice greeted.

“Thank you, Great One, I am honored to be invited to your home.”

A slight breeze whirled through the chamber. The smoke from the fires in the pit began to part, and a woman arose from the flames. Her skin, both ageless and blemishless, was the color of ripened olives. A magnificent crimson headdress, in the sculpt of a cobra and inlaid with gold, lined the curves of her body from head to waist. In her slender hand the woman held a long crimson staff, also in the shape of a serpent.

The people of Eternia called her the Goddess, but in truth she was no deity. It was a title of awe and wonderment, as her powers and grace were beyond those of any known living being. She was a sorceress that was said to have walked on Eternian soil along with the Ancients, and the people respected her all the more for it.

“Rise, King Grayskull,” she instructed, as she stepped out of the magical pit.

The man obeyed, but kept his eyes to the ground. “My wife told me that you visited her dreams, and asked to see me.”

“She spoke the truth, and I am pleased to see that you trusted her instincts—as you know, she is of the twenty-eighth generation to spring from the family sown by my seed.” The Goddess changed course, reaching over to lift the man’s chin. “Time is of the essence now, Grayskull.”

Their eyes met, and he was amazed by the light shinning from within. Without conscious effort he raised his hand into the air. An enchanted glow, brilliant like the lights in the supernatural one’s eyes, extended from his palm. The glow traveled from his hand and into the air, coalescing into the outline of something that appeared to be a sword.

To King Grayskull’s amazement, when the glow faded away he found an actual blade resting in his grip. It was intricate and broad, and it was heavy enough that men of normal strength would have great difficulty holding it aloft. “What…what is this?” he stammered

“You hold the Sword of Power,” she replied. “Dark days lay ahead for Eternia, and you will need a powerful weapon to defend these lands.”

The king’s mind was swimming. “Dark days?” he echoed. “What do you mean? And what will I be defending Eternia against?”

“You will know when the time comes.” She could see that the worry and self-doubt creep into his eyes. Smiling warmly at him, she began to fade away, leaving the king alone with his new sword. Her voice became disconnected once more, as she whispered a final encouragement. “Do not fear, Grayskull. You have the power!”

Dark Legacies

Zoar28, Facebook

Chapter 1 - Part 1

Chapter I

Fifteen Years Later…

With a heavy sigh, and even heavier heart, the Lord of Zalesia cast his vote with the others. Sweat collected around the hand he used to grip the legendary, ram-headed Havoc Staff. “I have often lobbied my fellow Council members to overturn our antiquated policies on the rearing of a family,” he reiterated before taking a moment’s pause. “However, I will rule alongside them in this instance, because I feel the Council of Wisdom would be better served by the prelate’s removal.”

The Councilmember on trial, Prelate Horüd, was a Spikean through-and-through. He hissed at the Lord of Zalesia through clenched, fanged teeth.

“Let it be done,” Lady Shokoti proclaimed, rising from her seat on the Council’s dais, and lifting her azure face and arms towards the silent crowds watching with anticipation in the balconies high above. “The Council of Wisdom, by a unanimous vote, hereby strips Prelate Horüd of all titles and responsibilities. Despite my esteemed colleague’s view, ours is still an order that demands distance from the intimate connections made by normal Eternians. We must remain unattached, so as to remain fair in our renderings.

“Prelate Horüd broke his vows, and produced an illegitimate son—a half-breed boy named Zed—with his Stillian mistress.” Casting her gray-eyed gaze back to Horüd, she continued. “That is why you will be banished from this Council. You may gather your things, but then you must leave the sanctity of Castle Eternia at once.”

Shokoti took her seat once more, and Prelate Horüd spat green on the blue, marble floor of the Council Chamber. He was silent, eyeing each of his former “brothers” and “sisters” for what seemed like an eternity. His long, leathery red wings (a genetic defect shared only by his younger brother) furled and unfurled at the edges with each rasping breath he took.

The looks of alternating anger and hatred that swam across his glassy red eyes unnerved even a Spelean guard near the dais. (The Speleans, though startling to look at for some humanoid Eternians, were a generally peace-loving species. However, their genetic “cousins”, the Spikeans, were known worldwide as being terrible, bloodthirsty brutes.) It’s amazing the others ever allowed him to join the Council at all, thought the guard.

“Very well,” Horüd finally acquiesced, in a tone so hushed that even the visiting warrior-prince He-Ro had to strain to hear. “I shall gladly leave this wretched place. I swear to you, though, you have not heard the last of me!”

A short time later, as wine-red dusk faded to violet night, Prelate Horüd perched himself upon the narrow ledge of Castle Eternia’s uppermost echelon. His razor-sharp talons gripping the blue stone hard enough to crack it, the Spikean seemed like a horrible, living gargoyle keeping watch over the Eternian landscape thousands of feet below. Just as he was about to take flight, he heard the sound of cloth rippling quietly behind him. Horüd swung around in the blink-of-an-eye, and jagged Spikean daggers flew from his hands.

Before they could reach their target they simply dropped to the stone floor of the turret. “You need to be quicker than that if you wish to do me harm,” said a hushed voice from beneath a flowing, shadowy cloak and hood.

“How could you let this happen?” Horüd hissed. “How can I manipulate the Council into doing your bidding if I’ve been stripped of my title?”

The hooded one gave a shallow laugh, which made Horüd’s blood feel momentarily icy. “I do not need your help for anything. You are but one puppet out of hundreds.” A step closer. “I had great plans for you, Horüd: you were to be the highest general in the great kingdom I am building.”

“Then why did you not stop Grayskull’s people from telling the Council about my cursed spawn?”

“Despite the designs I had in mind for you, your stupidity is astounding sometimes.” Though angered, Horüd dared not make a move against the powerful dark one before him.

The hooded figure continued. “Too many knew about your foolish indiscretion: King Grayskull and his family, Veena and He-Ro; Grayskull’s most trusted advisor, Eldor; and, of course, Eldor’s son Light Hope—the young fop who discovered what you had done in the first place.

“I could not dispose of such influential beings all at once, or it would have been clear that someone close to them was behind their destruction. No…too quickly would the trail have led back to me, and I was not about to throw away centuries of planning because of your mistake!”

“What now, then? Am I finished, or do you have other plans in mind for me?”

“Though your assistance with the Council is lost to me now, my original plans for you remain intact. Return to your home, and continue your work with the Orcs beneath the Well of Darkness. I will contact you when the time is right for the next step.”

“But when will I—?” Horüd crumpled, as if his insides were bursting to break free beneath his oily gray fur. He writhed in silent agony, unable to force screams of pain from his seizing lungs.

“You will know all you need to know when I deem the time is right. Now go!”

Just as quickly as his innards had started convulsing, they stopped. Horüd kept his keen eyes to the ground, so as not to let the hooded figure see the look of hatred lurking there (or the tears of pain). Without a word, the Spikean leapt from Castle Eternia’s highest tower and took to flight.

The hooded figure stepped towards the edge of the turret, and allowed blue hands to run across the cracks where Horüd’s talons had broken the stone, while watching him disappear with gray eyes. After long minutes of careful listening, the hooded person decided it was safe to do away with the hood. Long, dark hair spilled out as Shokoti disposed of her disguise.

Soon my plans will come to fruition, and then Eternia will be ripe for the plucking! Standing at such a great height, with a cool breeze skipping along her cheek, Shokoti allowed her mind to take her back to a time when she was still considered a child by her race’s long-living people. There were no lingering thoughts of those cursed people, though. Instead, she was focused on a particular faraway night…

Far from home, participating in an ancient rite of passage ritual, the young Shokoti had become lost in the bleak Ice Mountains. For hours upon hours, blizzard-like winds and snow fell from the heavens, threatening to bury alive any who dared leave the sanity of shelter. Yet, there she was: cold, hungry, alone, and angry that her own family had agreed to put her through this brutal, barbaric, and antiquated ritual.

My magic is already stronger than most of theirs, she thought bitterly. That’s why they really sent me away! They could sense the power growing within me!

Shokoti was determined not to grant her village’s Shaman the satisfaction her demise would bring. Instead, with only her dark thoughts as company, she trudged on, determined to return victorious.

Suddenly, a Snow Beast descended from a cliff high above! The beast was larger than most of the homes in Infinitia (her village), but that hardly fazed the brazen girl. “I was wondering when you would stop your cowardly stalking, and actually pounce!”

The Snow Beast took a swipe at Shokoti with its massive paw, and as it did so she neatly tore part of its flesh away with a massive knife that she had been concealing since first feeling its hungry eyes at her back. The monster shook the icy canyon around them with its painful cry, splattering the white ground with splotches of sticky purple ooze.

Just as quickly as she had wounded it, it struck back at her with its other paw, throwing the blue skinned girl into one of the cold mountain walls nearby. She jumped back to her feet as quickly as she could, but it was too late!

The Snow Beast was mere inches from her, its yellowed teeth, stained with dried blood from an earlier kill, bared against her as it growled deeply. It released a deafening roar, and the canyon quaked again, but this time the shaking did not stop when the beast did.

“Fool!” Shokoti screamed over the rumblings. “You’ve caused an avalan—”

Before she could finish the word, the ice behind her gave away, and she tumbled backward into a massive cave. The cascading snow sealed the icy maw just as quickly as it had first revealed it, but at least Shokoti had the satisfaction of seeing a massive pillar of ice crush her beastly opponent before her view was blocked.

The sheets of snow and ice finally ceased falling outside, and once more Shokoti was alone, only this time she was trapped in a silent cave behind tons of frozen precipitation.

Might as well have a look at my tomb, she thought bitterly, conjuring a floating ball of blue flame before her. The entire chamber lit up as the light from her flame refracted off of thousands of the most beautiful crystals Shokoti had ever seen! In the very center of the room was a giant crystalline orb, to which the other crystals all seemed to be pointing.

“Welcome,” said a deep voice.

“Who’s there?” Shokoti called, gripping her dagger once more.

“There is no need for that here, Shokoti, I mean you no harm.”

“Wh-who are you?” she asked, hating with every fiber of her being the trembling, mewing sounds her words made.

The orb began to glow brightly, completely eclipsing the blue light created by Shokoti. Within the orb a wizened face appeared. “I am the Oracle of the Crystal Sea.”

“The Crystal Sea? That’s…”

“Yes, that is some distance from your desired destination. You ventured from the correct path quite a while ago.”

“Literally or figuratively?” Shokoti chuckled.

The Oracle did not return the sneer. “Perhaps both,” he replied evenly. “You are destined for great things, Shokoti, but the path you take in life will determine if those things I speak of are for good or ill.”

The girl was intrigued by the mystic’s words. “Tell me more,” she beseeched, “it’s not like I’m gong anywhere any time soon.”

“Should you turn away from the hatred and the evil that threatens to bubble-up and spill from your heart, you will sit proudly amongst the wisest beings Eternia has ever seen. Together, you will help a great king defeat terrible, unnatural armies.”

The Oracle’s visage disappeared from the crystal, and was replaced by a moving image of soldiers clad in silver and red moving across the lands of Eternia. In their wake flowed a river of fire and blood. An enormous red bat seemed to be leading the way.

“Looks unpleasant,” she replied lazily, as a second force appeared in the orb. The new army, with Shokoti amongst its leaders, overcame the aggressors easily.

“So what’s the alternative?” she asked as the Oracle’s face returned to the glassy surface.

Bound by inalterable nature to answer such questions of those who seek them, he told her. “You will spawn great darkness and pain in every corner of Eternia. Eventually, it will even eclipse other worlds, so great is this darkness.”

Shokoti gave a chilling smile, thinking back to her weak parents and the Shaman, and the revenge she would exact with this darkness the Oracle spoke of. “More.”

“Please,” the Oracle tried in vain, “what I see is horror beyond reckoning, and no possible good could come from you learning more of the evil within your soul!”

“But you must—I command it!”

“Very well; such is the curse of being a mystical nexus between time and space.”

The wizened face vanished from the orb, and a stunningly handsome blue-skinned male replaced it. He had a neatly trimmed goatee and moustache of black.

“He is an Infinitian?”

“He is your son.”

“My son?” she gasped. “Wh—”

“His name will be Keldor, though eventually another name will encompass him. Ultimately, he will be more terrible than any of the armies I mentioned before. His wickedness will surpass even your own! Yet even he will be defeated…eventually.”

A young, blonde haired Eternian youth replaced the image of Keldor. “The heir of Grayskull, a warrior called He-Man, will stop him after years of battle and bloodshed.”

She cared not for the last bit of information. “The most powerful being to walk Eternian soil will be my son? And all because I ‘chose the wrong path’?” she asked, a grim smile creeping onto her beautiful blue face…

I will see to it that the entirety of the Oracle’s prophesy does not come to pass, Shokoti thought to herself, her consciousness once more returning to the present. Once I have created the most powerful army Eternia has ever seen, I will conceive Keldor, and allow him to command once he’s old enough. He will indeed sit upon Eternia’s throne, but I will be the power behind that throne!

Her reverie was shattered by the heavy footsteps of Light Hope. The rotund young man pointed at the horizon, where the faint outline of Horüd could still be seen flying away. “It must be difficult to watch a Councilman fall, even for our leader.”

Shokoti snorted, although she adopted a slightly warmer tone than she had used with her servant moments ago. “My dear boy, I was granting audiences within that chamber before His Majesty, King Grayskull, took his first step. Indeed, I was sitting in that same spot before your father drew his own first breath.”

“And that was eons ago,” Light Hope said in jest, a smile lighting up his rosy red cheeks beneath a mountain of auburn beard.

Shokoti allowed herself a slight chuckle. “Close enough. My point is this: I have seen more Councilmen and -women fall than I care to reflect upon. Some left in disgrace, but most succumbed to age. Horüd’s seat at the Council is not the first that has had to be filled, and it will certainly not be the last.”

A third joined them upon the top of Castle Eternia, clearing his throat softly. “Pardon the interruption, Milady, but King Grayskull has asked that my son join the prince and I at his banquet table,” announced Eldor.

“Very well,” Shokoti replied, only now turning to face her company. “Please extend the Council’s gratitude to King Grayskull for allowing us to enlist his son’s protection.”

“Even were it against his father’s best judgment, I’m sure He-Ro would have come along, old friend. With one as dangerous in knowledge and skill as Horüd, who knows what could have happened had he not agreed to leave so peacefully.”

“Indeed.”

For just a flicker, unnoticed by anyone, Shokoti’s eyes darted towards the thick tome that Eldor clutched tightly in his gnarled hands. Once that book is mine, “old friend”, Horüd will be the least of your worries!

Moments later, Shokoti watched as the convoy carrying Councilmember Light Hope and King Grayskull’s two emissaries departed Castle Eternia.
    Last edited by Telkan2; February 9, 2008 at 05:35pm.

Dark Legacies

Zoar28, Facebook

Chapter I - Part 2

Horüd carefully navigated his way through the honeycombed, magma-dripping tunnels beneath the Well of Darkness. He still seethed with anger: anger at Shokoti for not stopping that interloping fop Light Hope; at the Council for stripping him of his position; and most deeply, he seethed with anger at the Stillian harlot that had lured him into her sweet trap in hopes of making a name for herself.

Landing silently in the cavernous central chamber of the mountain, Horüd’s ruminations had left him in no mood for further annoyances. Unfortunately, his dead sire’s other child, the younger, did not seem to notice. (Or perhaps he did notice, and that notion tugged at Horüd’s temperament even more.)

Striding arrogantly along the rocky floor, and using his massive red wings to overstep the larger streams of lava, Hordak approached Horüd and gave a slight bow. “Welcome back, My Liege.”

Horüd knew the title was given mockingly now, but he silently vowed that one day—once Shokoti had fulfilled her end of the bargain—his insolent little brother would tremble with fear at the very air surrounding him.

“What is it, whelp?” he snarled. “I’m in no mood to be bothered by trivial matters, so choose your words carefully and make sure they’re important.”

“My words are always important,” the cocky Hordak retorted, “even if you’re not wise enough to listen.”

With a seething hiss, Horüd took to the air and descended upon an oblivious, passing Orc. Horüd’s talons drove deeply beneath the smaller creature’s shoulders, and it squealed like a pig as it was taken to the highest reaches of the cavern and then dropped with a sickening thud-crunch!

Returning once more to face his brother, Horüd demanded, “Who told you?”

“Let’s just say a little Imp told me about your earlier humiliation.”

“I’ve warned you to keep that—”

“The term you’re looking for is ‘familiar’, brother; we wizards use familiars to be our eyes and ears when we are erstwhile engaged.”

“Keep that thing away from me! Next time I catch it, your precious little Imp will be sorry you ever conjured him!”

Hordak was through toying with his older brother, and so he just smiled smugly. The younger Spikean had always known that Horüd was jealous of him. Their father was the mightiest wizard the Spikean species had ever produced, but those magical genes had decided to skip the firstborn son. Between the two of them, only Hordak’s murmured incantations would yield results.

For years, as Horüd wasted his time studying the more tangible sciences, and playing puppet to a mysterious secret master, Hordak had studied the darker, supernatural sciences. He had become powerful—more powerful than Horüd could ever dream—but he allowed his older brother to think himself more potent because it amused him to do so. It would make overpowering him later so much the sweeter.

“What was it you wanted to tell me, worm?”

Hordak found his brother’s sinister eyes. “The other Spikeans have finished adding the final touches to the battle suits, and the Orcs have completed forging Prime’s outer shell.”

“My master will be most pleased with this news,” Horüd replied, his annoyance with Hordak ebbing away slowly. “Soon, I will lead the greatest, most horrible army this world has ever seen, and once my enemies have been conquered, so shall my master be overthrown. Eternia will be mine for the taking!”

End of Chapter I

Dark Legacies

Zoar28, Facebook

Sorcerer of Night Lord_Of_Destruction's Avatar
    Darn it you beat me to the punch. I was going to have Shakoti be Keldor's mother!

Nevertheless I am interested to see where this is going
    "How I loathe heroes! Always getting in the way and acting so... so... heroic!"

please check out my fan fics at:

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/399417/

Chapter 2 - Part 1

Chapter II

The great, yawning jaw-bridge of Castle Grayskull lowered to the ground, slowly bridging the pristine waters of the moat that surrounded the great, white-marble castle.

“Your father’s keep is strange indeed, friend” Light Hope commented to He-Ro, who sat beside him in the transport. “It is both beautiful, with its clean walls and golden etchings, and yet terrifying with its threatening façade.”

“Indeed,” the mousy haired prince agreed, eyeing the fortress. “It was my father’s intention to show his people that he is noble and kind, and to show his enemies that he is a force to be reckoned with.”

“And I would add that his goal was met successfully,” Eldor spoke up from the opposite side of the carriage. “During the twenty-odd years that I have served His Highness, none have been bold enough to launch an outright attack against Castle Grayskull.”

“Not even those cold-blooded vermin, the Snake Men,” He-Ro reaffirmed.

Once inside, the trio strode purposefully through the many corridors of Castle Grayskull. Light Hope continued to marvel at the beautiful tapestries and statuary that could be housed past such an intimidating threshold.

“Greetings, Your Majesty,” Eldor hailed as they entered the castle’s magnificent banquet hall.

Beneath enormous scarlet banners baring the cross-like Grayskull Crest, King Grayskull himself was already seated behind the long, wooden banquet table. His white-marble seat of honor could scarcely be seen behind the bulging muscles of his upper torso. The king’s long blonde hair, usually unkempt due to his frequent take-charge nature in the field, was neatly combed back behind his should blades.

“Welcome, friends,” the king replied, rising to his full, 7’ height. His voice ricocheted off the walls, echoing all the way up to the ceiling high above before silently escaping through the crystal skylights.

“Father, how fared the battle in Gar Farian?”

“Well enough, He-Ro,” Grayskull answered, retaking his seat as the others took theirs. The prince sat on the king’s right-hand side, with Light Hope next to him. Eldor sat on the king’s left-hand side, although he left an open chair between them.

Grayskull continued, “We were able to drive the Snake Men back to their steamy, jungle realm once more. Unfortunately, the vile Snake Face was able to claim the lives of numerous Farians before we arrived.”

“Detestable creatures,” Light Hope commented with disdain.

“You will find no argument from me there, son of Eldor.”

“Where is Her Grace,” Eldor asked, indicating the seat he had left empty.

King Grayskull sighed before answering. “The work of a sorceress is never done. Veena insisted on staying in Gar Farian for a bit to ensure the Snake Men did not return. I tried to convince her that our Man-At-Arms would be able to hold them off until we could return, but nevertheless she remains in her falcon form, perched in a tree at the center of the village.”

“That’s my mother,” He-Ro remarked jovially, but with great pride lacing every word.

“Now tell me,” the king went on, as the servants began bringing the food, “how was today’s Council meeting?” His large blue eyes fell squarely on Light Hope.

“It could have been much worse,” Light Hope answered, pausing briefly to thank the attendant for the glass of white wine he had just been poured. “Lady Shokoti banished Prelate Horüd from the Council, and thankfully he left without incident.”

Light Hope paused once more, and hesitated slightly before asking, “May I ask you a question, Your Highness?”

King Grayskull swallowed a large portion of roasted pheasant. “You want to know why I invited you to come with your father and my son tonight,” he ventured.

“Yes,” Light Hope responded, flushing with embarrassment; it gave him an odd look about the face, since an enormous, red main of hair already framed his features. “If I may be so bold, Your Highness, I have not dined in this great hall since I left to join the Council five years ago.”

“You know why that is, boy!” Eldor snapped, as if his son was still a child acting up at the dinner table. “The Council of Wisdom must be allowed to operate independently from the government, lest the people stop trusting in their judgments.”

Light Hope blushed even more intensely. “I understand that, father, and that’s exactly my point. Why have I now been invited back?” He faced Eldor fully now, saying, “The people know that you attend the Council meetings as the king’s ambassador, but that you don’t actually participate in the proceedings. Those same people, however intelligent, will nonetheless wonder if my visit is recreational or if the king is trying to lobby me with something. The people must know that the Council is not influenced by politics.”

Before Eldor could retort, King Grayskull broke the tension with a hardy chuckle. “It is no wonder your son was granted a seat on the Council.” He turned to look at Light Hope once more, although the momentary twinkle his laugh had produced was gone. “You’re in danger.”

“Danger? From what?”

He-Ro answered, seeing the panicked look on his childhood friend’s face. “We fear that Horüd may try to seek revenge against you, since you were the one who informed the others that he had broken his vows.”

King Grayskull continued. “The magical defenses that protect Castle Eternia will not hold back someone who once sat on the Council. Lady Shokoti, and the others who are endowed with mystical powers, will need to set-up new enchantments.”

“They may even require assistance from the queen and the Council of Elders.”

“I see.” Light Hope sipped at his wine. “But, father, what about the Book?”

“No!” Eldor cut him off, slamming his gnarled hands down on the large, dusty tome with a thud! “You know, as do the rest of us, just how powerful—and dangerous—the Book of the Ancients is! The last time a spell was cast using this book it gave rise to the snake god Serpos! It was all the previous Elders could do to stop the beast.”

“But you have the book now, not the Snake Men’s ancestors. You and King Grayskull wrested it from them to keep Eternia safe,” Light Hope pressed. “You would never use the Book for evil!”

“I would not perform evil works intentionally, no,” Eldor agreed, calming somewhat. “Nevertheless, anything that could create a beast as powerful as Serpos was is too powerful for a mere mortal to use.”
    Last edited by Telkan2; February 11, 2008 at 01:22pm.

Dark Legacies

Zoar28, Facebook

This is getting really interesting. Could you refresh my memory, what do the Stilians look like again?
    I'm a deviant: yaoi-huntress-earth.deviantart.com

Thanks for the compliment, Yaoi HuntressE; and, sorry to beat you to it Lord_Of_Destruction.

As far as what the Stilians looked like, I can't exactly recall. It was just the name of an Eternian city that I picked off of a map.

Dark Legacies

Zoar28, Facebook

Chapter 2 - Part 2

Shokoti laughed wickedly as the images she had just seen in her scrrying pool rippled away. “And that’s exactly why that book must be mine, old man!”

Whirling about, her emerald gown twirling behind her, Shokoti returned to her throne. Deep in the Sands of Mystery, not far from the Darklands, Shokoti had long ago built an impregnable pyramid. This was her sanctuary, where she could hatch her schemes without the prying eyes of the others on the Council.

Settled in her seat, a large golden statue in honor of herself looming above, Shokoti cast a summoning spell. In the blink of an eye the enchantress was looking down at Horüd once more.

Realizing that he had been teleported to his master’s temple, Horüd immediately filled his mistress in on what Hordak had told him about their secret project.

“Your younger brother is quite the taskmaster,” she replied coldly. “He has done well, overseeing the construction of my army while you’ve been busy producing mutts and losing your seat at the Council.”

Just as quickly as Horüd had initially filled with excitement at Hordak’s news, that excitement drained away, replaced by bitter contempt for the witch Shokoti. “Yes,” he muttered.

Shokoti continued, “While I am pleased by this news, I have summoned you here for other reasons. Tell me, Horüd, what do you know about the Book of the Ancients?”

He thought for a bit, although he honestly did not know much of its history; only whispers and legends. “It was written by the Ancients,” he ventured, but seeing the seething look on Shokoti’s face he realized even that fact might be wrong. Stumbling, he added, “Oh, and the Snake Men were the first to unearth it, and their leader used it to create Serpos.”

The last bit of information was correct, but it did not seem to counteract the first incorrect statement. To herself, but loudly enough for Horüd to hear, she said, “It’s amazing how little knowledge is required to become a Councilmember these days.”

She continued, “The Book of the Ancients, contrary to the title the early Snake Men gave it, was not written by the old fossils. In fact, it was the Great Supernatural Hand, which formed this mud-ball from the chaotic cosmic soup eons ago, that wrote that book. And I want it!”

“But how will I get to it?” Horüd asked. “Eldor never lets it out of his sight, and his magic is comparable to that bird-brained Veena!”

“Veena’s magic will not be an issue; she is currently protecting a disgustingly quaint little hamlet from some of my other agents. As for Eldor, he will not realize that the book is your true goal.”

Horüd’s shrewd eyes narrowed. “Because they think I will be coming for that wind-bag Light Hope.”

“Exactly! Their attention will be on him, so stealing the book will be easy.”

“And you’re sure I’ll be able to get into Grayskull’s castle? It’s protected by all of those magical charms.”

“Don’t worry about that. With Veena’s added powers out of the way, I will be able to transport you directly through the Council of Elders’ weaker charms.”

Dark Legacies

Zoar28, Facebook

Chapter 2 - Part 3

The Lord of Zalesia entered his private chambers and sealed the large doors securely behind him. The day’s events had left him tired, and he was glad to be home once more. He approached a section of the wall near his bed and waved his hand in front of it. A column of stones vanished, revealing the secret place where he kept the Havoc Staff when he was preparing to let his guard down. Once the staff was secured inside, he waved his hand again, and the stones reappeared.

“You can never be too careful with that staff,” a woman’s voice spoke from the shadows of an unlit portion of the chamber.

The Lord of Zalesia snapped his fingers, and every candle and torch in the chamber came alive. He knew whose voice it was, but he was still relieved to confirm with his eyes—especially since she was so beautiful. “Ve’Lyn.”

She smiled at him. The enchantress’ face was slightly lined with age, but with her blue eyes and white-blonde hair she still looked beautiful. She wore a white gown with a bronze tiara and bronze vambraces. A shimmering, golden colored cloak was draped over her shoulder. Ve’Lyn arose from her seat, and approached the master of the house. After an embrace, she whispered tenderly, “It’s so good to see you.”

“And you as well, my darling,” he replied. “I did not know that you were planning a visit. I would have been here when you arrived had I known.”

Her smile quickly faded. “I have left my home for good,” she said sadly.

“But why?” he asked, the shock in his voice quite evident.

“The kingdom is deserted because most of the bird-men have decided to make their homes closer to the ground. I urged my husband to join me away from the mountains and clouds as well, but he refused.”

“The Egg of Avion?”

A scornful look crossed her face. “When we were married I already knew that he was the Guardian, but I was young and naïve enough to think that he would be there for me—and eventually our daughter Veena—in the same way he was for that blasted Egg.

“When Veena left home, and eventually fell in love with that barbarian king, I warned her about the responsibilities that would keep him from her. Fortunately for her, it seems I was wrong, and my daughter’s husband has been far more nurturing and supportive than her father ever was…to either of us.”

The Lord of Zalesia reached out and stroked her face, brushing away a tear with his thumb as he did so. “You deserve a husband like that, Ve’Lyn. You are the most beautiful person I know, and because of that you are the first woman that has ever made me consider giving up my post on the Council of Wisdom to pursue a family.”

That made her smile, and she tucked into his arms. “Thank you,” she whispered. “You are always so kind to me.”

“Then stay with me, Ve’Lyn, and I will shower you with such words each and every day. Nothing would make me happier.”

“Of course I will!” she exclaimed.
    Last edited by Telkan2; March 12, 2008 at 11:09pm. Reason: Replaced "wristlets" with "vambraces"--you learn new words all the time!

Dark Legacies

Zoar28, Facebook

Chapter 2 - Part 4

[NOTE: Please offer your feedback! I would love to know what folks think! ]

The king was the last to finish dining, since he had ordered a third (and then a fourth and fifth) portion. “Excellent,” he exhaled, running a mighty hand over his rippling abdomen and full belly.

“Would Your Majesty like some dessert?” asked the chef happily.

“No, thank you,” he replied with a grin. “If I eat any more I’ll be receiving my just ‘desserts’ all night long. I’m sure my guests would delight in your treats, though,” he added, noticing the hopeful looks in his and Eldor’s sons.

“Something with lots of sweet flavoring,” He-Ro added with a hearty laugh.

The chef toddled off, and King Grayskull slowly rose from the table, motioning that the others should retain their seats as he stood. “If you will excuse me, it’s been a very long fortnight, and I am ready for a peaceful slumber.”

“Good night, father,” He-Ro replied. “I’m glad you’re back.”

“Good night, Your Highness,” Eldor and Light Hope chimed in, as the king left the great banquet hall.

Nearly half an hour later, having gorged themselves on the chef’s sweetest cakes, He-Ro and Light Hope were done for the night. Eldor, who had finished after one tiny bite of cake (“Too sweet for my old tastebuds.”), dozed silently in his dinner chair.

As Light Hope rounded the table, gently pulling part of his elderly father’s long, gray beard from the leftover cake before waking him, the air suddenly crackled with fury! High above, just beneath the skylights, there was a flash of light. Horüd appeared, keeping himself aloft with those enormous, blood-red wings.

“Look out!” He-Ro cried as the man-bat swung down. The seat the prince had been sitting in was reduced to splinters by Horüd’s talons. The son of Grayskull searched the room quickly, spotting his magical staff: the Staff of the Ancients, rumored to be as old as the Book of the Ancients, but not nearly as powerful.

As a frantic Eldor used his magic to unleash lightening bolts against the attacking Spikean, He-Ro ran towards his staff; without it, he had no powers of his own. Suddenly, it vanished in a shimmering, rainbow-like glow, only to reappear in his very hand. The prince held no doubts that Light Hope, currently ducked under the table, had used his magic to aide his friend.

“You will not keep me from my goal!” Horüd shouted, arcing back in the air and doing a somersault so that he could swoop down beneath the table.

A magnificent beam of magic knocked the wretched creature off course, slamming him into one of the scarlet draperies hanging from the walls. Untangling himself quickly, Horüd realized that He-Ro had launched the volley with his staff.

“Your pathetic wand won’t stop me, boy!” Horüd hissed, preparing for another attack. At that moment he realized that King Grayskull, his mighty sword poised for attack, was speeding down the hall; numerous castle guards followed him.

Before the heroic king could enter the hall a magical red seal spread across the entryway like a mystical web. Quick thinking, Shokoti, Horüd thought to himself.

He-Ro noticed the sudden blockade as well, and briefly turned so that he could break it down by magic.

“He-Ro!” Eldor cried, as Horüd knocked the old man off his feet while he, too, was distracted.

The prince turned back around, firing another magical volley at Horüd, but it was too late. With one taloned hand the monster had a squirming Light Hope, whose simple magic did not seem to be helping; in the other hand Horüd grasped a bruised Eldor.

“Son!” King Grayskull shouted from the other side of the transparent red seal. “Look what else he has!” With his clawed right foot, Horüd held Shokoti’s prize: the Book of the Ancients!

He-Ro dared not launch an attack against Horüd, lest he hurt his friends, but he also knew he had to act somehow.

“You’re too late, fools!” Horüd rasped, as he and his spoils vanished in the same crackling light the villain had first appeared in.

As soon as they were gone, the cursed seal vanished, allowing King Grayskull and his troops into the room. He sheathed his sword and placed a strong hand on his son’s shoulder. “There was powerful, evil magic here tonight,” he said gravely.

“What do we do now?”

With his personal adviser captured, King Grayskull summoned his governmental advisers, the most recent in a long line of elected officials known as the Council of Elders. Centuries ago, King Grayskull’s ancestors were the first to unite all of Eternia’s people under one banner. Ever since, the reigning king had relied on the Council of Elders, a group of men and women—most of whom possessed great magic and knowledge—selected by their own people, to help the king (and / or queen) govern. The current group of Elders, rumored to be the best and brightest assemblage the planet had ever seen, came at once.

The first to speak was the representative from Zalesia, a stunningly beautiful woman, bald, with purple eyes. (She was also sister to the Lord of Zalesia.) “We apologize, Your Majesty, but the evil force aiding Horüd was too powerful for our magic to hold at bay.”

Steagor, the scaly, green representative for the Caligars spoke next. “All of Eternia is in danger if the source of this attack gets its hands on the Book of the Ancients. Last time it was used Serpos devastated Eternia, and it was all our predecessors could do to stop him. Who knows what might happen next.”

“Perhaps the Council of Wisdom can help us,” said Emperor Gnarl of the Mer-People. “Since one of their own was taken, perhaps they can help us locate him.”

“At least that’s a place to start,” the king agreed. Turning to his son, he said, “Contact your mother, and have her return to Castle Grayskull. With her added magic, perhaps the Elders can prevent any further attacks. Meanwhile, I shall visit Castle Eternia personally.”

Dark Legacies

Zoar28, Facebook

Part II: On Its Way!

Hello,

I just wanted to let everyone know that Part II of Dark Legacies is just around the corner. If you still haven't checked out Part I, now's the time!

As always, feedback is always appreciated!

Dark Legacies

Zoar28, Facebook

Heroic Warrior
    Telkan just wanted to tell you I am anxiously awaiting part 2. I love this story this and book of evil have blown me away. Its nice that we still have stuff like this to give us our motu story fix.
    N8

Leader of the Autobots Optimus Prime's Avatar
    Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon
    This book is just as awesome as part II. Excellent work. Now to Part III
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings, but freedom isn't free."
    http://www.myspace.com/tkd_trevor

Great work!! Congrats!!

Dark Legacies (Part II)

It's taken far longer than I expected, but I finally present to you Part II of:

Works Cited

The majority of characters and locations incorporated into this story are the sole property of one of the companies listed below:

Mattel, Inc.
    El Segundo, CA 90245
    310-252-2000

Mike Young Productions
    Woodland Hills, CA 91364
    818-999-0062

Filmation Studios

For continuity purposes, in my efforts to piece together a coherent history and storyline, certain parts of this story rely on elements taken from the “He-Man and the Masters of the Universe” televisions series(es) and comics. Material was borrowed from the following sources:

Comics:

Krikman, Robert, Ian Richter, Val Staples (w), Tony Moore (p), and Val Staples and Mark Sweeney (i). “Beastman.” Masters of the Universe, Icons of Evil #1 [One-Shot] (June 2003), Image Comics.

Krikman, Robert, Ian Richter, Val Staples (w), Diogenes Neves, Antony Bilal, Renato Arlem, et al. (p), and Bill Crabtree and Ron Riley (i). “Tri-Klops.” Masters of the Universe, Icons of Evil #1 [One-Shot] (October 2003), CrossGen Publishing, LLC.

Santalucia, Emiliano, Lori Ann Scott, Val Staples (w), Enza Fontana, Emiliano Santalucia (p), and James Offredi and Deidre Vance (i). Masters of the Universe [Volume 3], #5 (July 2004), MVCreations, LLC

“Ties that Bind, The”
    “Snake Pit”
    “Separation”
    “Out of the Past”
    “Price of Deceit”
    “History”

This work is solely that of a fan who wishes to honor the characters (and thereby the creators of said characters) that sparked in him a passion for fantasy and creativity that remains with him to this very day. No infringement on the copyrights or the creative talents of others from whom I’ve borrowed is intended. Thank you!

Dark Legacies

Zoar28, Facebook

Part 01

Eternia was in mourning. Black drapes hung from Castle Grayskull’s white edifice, and flags throughout the land were lowered to half-staff. Men and women everywhere, of all races and tribes, practiced their nation’s varied death rituals. Even the stoic guards of the castle occasionally wept, and when they did so it was without shame or care for who saw.

King Grayskull and Queen Veena were inconsolable, and they alternated between ferocious arguments and clinging to each other tightly, while refusing all others. Even Eldor, who was grappling with the apparent loss of his own son, was not allowed to enter the throne room of Castle Grayskull.

Spurned by his friends, and aching with grief, the old man left one day without a word. Months later, a nomadic woman found Eldor’s remains in the mouth of a shallow cave, not far from the spot where he had last seen Light Hope. The kind woman buried the stranger beneath a pile of smooth stones to protect it from scavengers, before continuing on her way.

During this dark time, the Elders were doing their best to be both governors and protectors of the lands. Taking advantage of the royal family’s weakened state, the Snake Men and other warlords had been relentless. As for the Horde, they were biding their time and growing in numbers while Hordak studied the Book of the Ancients...

One night, a cold rain fell from the dark sky above Castle Grayskull. The moat and the puddles below glistened in the occasional sliver of moonlight. Veena’s sleep had been wracked with nightmares about her lost son, and she found herself prowling the castle halls in an exhausted, almost catatonic state.

She paused near a window that had been left open, and drank in the smell of the rain. A burst of wind blew a smattering of water droplets against her face, but she hardly noticed. “It’s my fault that he’s trapped,” she whispered.

The Goddess materialized, and placed an olive-colored hand on her descendant’s shoulder. “You did not know what would happen, and He-Ro would not have wanted to be spared at the cost of Eternia’s destruction.”

Veena turned and glared at the elder woman. “What about what I want—my son, at home, where he belongs!”

“Take solace in this, child…” The Goddess waved her hand, and a sparkling image appeared in the open window-frame. He-Ro was there, in a lush forest of lavender, sprawled out on the soft-looking grass. He looked dreadfully sick, but a young Troll seemed to be treating his ailment.

The image faded, and Veena gasped. “He’s still alive! We must help him!”

“His body would never survive another cross-dimensional trip. You know now that he is alive, and that he’s not alone. Your son’s destiny is on that world now, and you must let it play out.”

The queen wanted to protest, and scream out that she didn’t care about things like destiny, but deep down she knew that the Goddess was right about the cost of bringing him home. “How do we go on, knowing that he’s still alive but that we are still prevented from being with him?”

“That is a question that only you and your husband can answer.” She took Veena by the arm and started walking purposefully through a maze of corridors. “But, for now, there is something else that I have come to show you, child...”
    Last edited by Telkan2; January 25, 2009 at 12:07pm.

Dark Legacies

Zoar28, Facebook

Part 02

They eventually stopped in a musty, unused chamber that the queen had never seen before. The Goddess tapped on the stone floor with her staff, and it started to sink into a hidden part of Castle Grayskull. It was like being in outerspace, with giant crystalline structures in place of the stars. Blackness encompassed everything but the crystals, and the bottom of the strange area was lost to darkness.

“We are beneath Castle Grayskull now,” the Goddess announced, “in the Crystal Chamber.”

“I have never seen or heard of such a place! It’s incredible!”

“As keeper of the Book of the Ancients, only Eldor knew what lay under the fortress, and I swore him to secrecy long ago.”

“What is it?” Veena asked timidly.

“The resting place of the Ancients,” came the solemn reply. She went on to explain. “When their great powers started to wane, they were forced to rely on the eldritch crystals in this abyss to amplify their magic. Sadly, age marginalized their powers so much that not even these crystals were enough to help them maintain harmony. For the first time in its history, Eternia faced the threat of Evil—the abominated race known as the Snake Men!

“To protect my dear friends in their final years I ensured that a proper fortress was built atop the Crystal Chamber, and that a mighty warrior would stand to protect it.

Veena was shocked. “You refer to Castle Grayskull?”

“By a different name, and in one of its earliest incarnations, yes.”

“And you said this is their resting place. Does that mean…?”

“None of us are able to avoid the transition from this realm to the next. The bodies of the Ancients are protected from desecration deep in the abyss.”

The queen nodded, but a lingering question played on her mind. “Why have you brought me here? Why is all of this significant now?”

“Though the Ancients are gone, great power still dwells here. It is an ideal place to keep safe an object of immense importance.”

The Sword of Protection appeared before them, resting in an ornate, wooden box. The queen reached out to touch it, but the box sealed itself before she could. The case slowly sank into the darkness below.

“I felt something…familiar about that sword.”

“You are sensing your son’s connection to it.”

“Was that…the Staff of Ancients?”

The Goddess nodded as the pair began to rise toward the castle proper once more. Once the tiles had settled into place, she said, “I must leave you for now, Veena.” Before vanishing, she placed a tender hand on the queen’s abdomen and smiled.

The queen had mixed emotions about what she had learned, and so many questions. Not for a second, though, did she stop to wonder why her ancestor had placed a hand on her stomach…
    Last edited by Telkan2; January 25, 2009 at 12:07pm.

Dark Legacies

Zoar28, Facebook

Love It, Love It, Love It! Welcome back, I just adora this story!
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

Part 03

Thanks, Angel-T, I appreciate the encouraging words! Keep those comments coming, folks, I really appreciate them all!

Days later, the king and queen were engaged in another furious argument! Veena had learned that twin souls were growing in her belly, and that they had been conceived just days prior to the infamous battle at Castle Eternia. While she was overjoyed, Grayskull felt that the Fates were trying to make him forget his firstborn by pushing fledgling heirs on him. The king was hurt that his wife did not share that view.

“These children will never take the place of He-Ro!” she screamed, tears streaming down her face. “We know now that he is still alive, and he has a destiny of his own to fulfill!”

“These children will assume his place!” the king retorted, his face red. “When we are gone, and one of these children takes the throne, it is his or her name that will be recorded in the scrolls of history! Our firstborn son, the man that practically gave his life in the service of this planet, will be forgotten with the ages!”

Veena tried to argue this point, but she could not. As the tears continued down her face, she cradled her stomach and turned to leave the chamber. Before she could reach the door, three men in crimson and silver—the ones responsible for burying Shokoti’s pyramid—appeared. The queen gasped, and took a step back.

“Who are you?” Grayskull demanded, unsheathing his sword.

“Stop!” Veena shouted, holding out her hand to steady him. She studied the trio’s regiments for another second before declaring: “They’re Cosmic Enforcers.”

Grayskull eyed them suspiciously. “Who are these ‘Cosmic Enforcers’?”

The eldest of the trio, who wore robes instead of armor, stepped forward. “We are riders of the spaceways, a race as old as time immemorial, and we are charged with the solemn duty of maintaining the balance between good and evil.”

The king snorted. “Evil has already triumphed on Eternia.”

“Not so,” was the response. “I am Zanthor, and these are my apprentices, Zeehlar and Zodak.” The two dark-skinned Enforcers nodded respectfully.

“Welcome to Eternia,” Veena stated simply, wiping the remaining tears from her eyes. “Please forgive us, but my husband and I have recently lost our son to a great evil.”

“We know,” Zeehlar replied. “The sorceress Shokoti has brought about a great imbalance between the forces of good and evil on this world. That is why we have come, to help set things right.”

“Can you bring back my son?” Grayskull asked bitterly.

Zanthor’s expression did not change. “That would go against our duty.”

“We act more indirectly,” Zodak added. “But, we have ensured that Shokoti will not be allowed to tilt the balance further until the heroes of this planet are more prepared to hold her back.”

King Grayskull returned to this throne, a brooding look on his face. Zodak’s words fell on deaf ears. “If you cannot bring my boy back from his hellish prison, then you are of no aide to us.”

Zeehlar started to speak. “But—”

“As you wish,” Zanthor interrupted. Together, the Enforcers vanished.

Veena turned to look at her husband, but she could find no words to express her feelings. She finally settled on silence as she left the throne room.
    Last edited by Telkan2; January 25, 2009 at 12:08pm.

Dark Legacies

Zoar28, Facebook

I just finished reading part 1 and this is an amazing story!!! Perfectly ties the 200x back story (which I like) together along with some other surprises. Can't wait to read more!!!

Part 11

I'm glad you're enjoying it, He-Man54, and that you are enjoying the way it ties together bits of the backstory. I'm also intrigued: What little bits have surprised you? (Knowing something like that helps me plan for the future.) Now, back to the story...

Zodak regained consciousness, but he could neither move nor speak. It felt like some kind of gelatinous creature had affixed itself to his nose and mouth, but he could still breathe.

Is it giving me air?

And what was the cold, slimy substance coiled around his left arm and right knee?

He tried to open his eyes, but all he could see were vague shadows. Then he noticed something large moving towards him. The shadowy creature was reaching towards his face…

And then, consciousness fled from Zodak once more...

At first, King Grayskull was pleased to see the fierce tempest raging outside his bedroom windows. It matched the mood he had been in since the loss of his son, Prince He-Ro, to the minions of Shokoti. He felt as one with the ferocious weather outside, until a blast of wind shattered the glass doorway to the balcony.

He barely had time to shield himself with the heavy blankets draping his bed, when, in the background, he became aware of his wife’s screams—shouts of fear and pain! Grayskull turned to look at Queen Veena, and saw that she was rocking on the edge of the bed in agony.

“By Eternia!” he bellowed, as a quake shook the foundations of the mighty fortress, “what foul sorcery is this?”

“Eternia is bleeding!” Veena answered between sobs.

Just then, a reddish-orange flash tickled at the corner of Grayskull’s eye, and he turned to see what had caused it: A giant wall of fire had stretched itself across the horizon, and it was on the move!

But then, as quickly as it all began, it stopped.

The guards posted outside the bedroom doors finally stumbled in, clearly shaken by the strange forces at work. “Your Majesties, the quake kept us from—”

“It doesn’t matter,” Grayskull interrupted, already pulling together his clothes. “Summon the Elders at once, and have them meet me in the throne room.” The guards saluted before rushing from the room. Grayskull dropped all harshness in his voice, as he gently sat back down next to his wife. He brushed her disheveled red hair out of her face, and used his thumbs to wipe away the tears cascading down her cheek. “Are you all right, my love?”

“Yes,” she answered, although her voice said otherwise. “Eternia itself has been attacked, my husband, and it may never be the same again.”

He nodded, before standing to finish getting dressed. Once he had affixed his long red cloak, Grayskull made for the doorway, but then paused, his hand on the knob. “How are the babies?” he asked softly.

A slight smile tugged at Veena’s mouth as she rubbed her belly. “Unharmed.”

“And loved,” he added reassuringly, before exiting the chamber...
    Last edited by Telkan2; January 25, 2009 at 12:03pm.

Dark Legacies

Zoar28, Facebook

Part 12

A few hours later, the Council of Elders—dressed in battle togs rather than ceremonial robes—had assembled in the throne room of Castle Grayskull. Once they were all together, the group moved into the secret chamber behind the king’s throne. Each of the representatives held numerous parchments from different lands, all of them reports on the damage.

Sumana, the beautiful, blue-gray skinned ruler of Arcadia, was the first to speak. “My city sustained some damage during the quake, but there were minimal injuries. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for the people of Caladon.”

“What happened?” Grayskull inquired.

“The Dam of the Ancients burst, and, because Caladon was located in the lowlands, it was flooded within moments. Most of the people probably didn’t even know what was happening.”

“What was left of Zalesia has almost entirely sunk beneath the sand,” Councilwoman Zilora (the former Lord of Zalesia’s sister) announced. “Likewise, two of Castle Eternia’s mighty towers have crumbled to the desert floor. Only Central Tower remains.”

“Have you received news from the Fire People?”

“No,” she answered. “The giant wall of fire, seen by most of us, erupted from beneath their land, and it is still too hot to send a search party out right now. There was, however, a large piece of land that broke away from the rest of the continent. There may be Fire People living on this new island, but the waters are too rough for us to attempt a rescue at this time.”

Grayskull nodded, and turned to Emperor Gnarl. “How did your kingdom fair during this disaster?”

The broad-faced leader of the Mer-People gave a bubbly sigh. “Sadly, it appears as if my undersea kingdom has grown.”

“How so?”

“The Island of Avathar sank—”

“The entire island?” Sumana gasped.

“—creating a massive tidal wave. My people searched for surviving Avathians, but they have surely been wiped out.”

“What of the tidal wave?” Grayskull asked.

“It made it all the way to Lake Rakash, and, with that added water source, it has completely filled the Caverns of Rakash. By my calculations, the cartographers will have to add a new sea to their maps.”

“The sinking of Avathar caused a tidal wave that large?”

“That, and most of the Selki Archipelago, which also sank.”

Grayskull closed his eyes tightly. The news thus far had been so grim it was almost too much. “Can anyone speak good news?”

The dark-skinned Councilman from Targa raised his hand. “The Dagon Jungle and the Plains of Perpetua were spared! I have already made contact with the Operonians and the Widgets, and their reports were mostly positive. There was minimal structural damage done to their lands, and no reported fatalities.”

“Thank the Ancients,” Grayskull said with a deep sigh, “some good news.”

Red-bearded Duquaine, who lived near Stone Mountain, spoke next. “I have made contact with the inhabitants of the Mystic Mountains: Avion, Andreenos, and Felis Folia all faired relatively well.”

Standing next to Duquaine was the much smaller Councilman named Vulcan. He stroked his long white beard as he spoke. “Some of the people in Stone City have lost their homes, but overall they are fine. Lithos remains unchanged. As for Eternos Forest…”

“What of it?” Grayskull prodded.

“Three large pieces of land broke away, taking a sizeable chunk of the forest with them.”

“Were there any settlements?”

“Just the savages that live in Grark.”

“Well at least that will keep them from attacking the gentler creatures of the forest for a while,” Zilora commented coldly.

Finally, the king turned to Steagor and inquired about Subternia.

The large Caligar spoke in a measured tone, as if something heavy was weighing on both of his hearts. “The damage is incalculable. There were massive cave-ins and eruptions of molten rock. The Speleans and the Caligars have both sustained heavy casualties.”

“What of the other Subternians?” Grayskull inquired.

“The Belats have sustained casualties equal to our own. It is unknown at this time how the Orcs faired.”

“And the Spikeans?”

“The majority of Spikean cities were situated beneath the Sands of Fire. When the giant wall of fire erupted from the planet’s core, it eradicated those settlements. The Spikeans are likely an extinct race.”

Grayskull noted the tears dripping from Steagor’s eyes. “What else troubles you, my friend?”

The Caligar sighed heavily. “During a cave-in, my family…my family…” The giant Councilman broke-down into tears, and his friends gathered around him in a conciliatory manner.

A more inopportune moment for Grayskull’s Man-At-Arms to enter the anteroom could not have come, but enter he did. In his hands he held a thick sheaf of parchment. “Sire, forgive the interruption, but I have the most current tally of casualties.”

Grayskull sighed, but nodded at his chief soldier. “How many?”

“Over 12 million,” was the response. “However, our search parties are still on the look-out, and we have not been able to account for any of the eastern hemisphere.”

The king pounded his fist into the open palm of his other hand, cursing loudly. “Are we assuming this was the work of King Hsss?”

“It is too soon to tell,” Sumana replied, “but a dark cloud hangs over the entire hemisphere on which he lives.”

For the first time during the session Veena spoke. “King Hsss is powerful, but I highly doubt that he was the one behind this. The dark magic that caused this surely came from the Book of the Ancients, which belongs now to the Spikean warlord Hordak.”

Grayskull pummeled the chamber wall. “How do we find this Hordak?”

Zilora answered, “My spies had started bringing me word of a large force—possibly the Horde—operating near the banks of Harmony Sea. At this time, though, it is too dangerous to travel to that area.”

“Then we wait for things to settle, and then we strike!”
    Last edited by Telkan2; January 25, 2009 at 12:02pm.

Dark Legacies

Zoar28, Facebook

The surprises weer mostly from part 1. Shokoti being Skeletor's eventual mother, Evil-Lyn being WAY old, among other things. And the latest, the formation of the Sea of Rakash. You really made the Spell of Separation sound like a true global catastrophe. Well done.

Dark Legacies (Part III)

It's taken far longer than I expected, but I finally present to you Part III of:

Works Cited

Mattel, Inc.
    El Segundo, CA 90245
    310-252-2000

Mike Young Productions
    Woodland Hills, CA 91364
    818-999-0062

Filmation Studios

Comics:

“Ties that Bind, The”
    “Snake Pit”
    “Separation”
    “Out of the Past”
    “Price of Deceit”
    “History”

Dark Legacies

Zoar28, Facebook