Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dark Legacies - Part I

Chicago, Illinois (but my heart will always be in the UK)

Chapter 5 - Part 10

Eldor had never seen such rage on a man’s face! The king’s eyes actually looked red with hatred. The curses that spewed volcanically from the ruler’s mouth were like none spoken since Eternia’s dawn eons ago.

For his part, the wicked Horde Prime laughed at his adversaries. The cold tones echoed all around them. “So much for the meddling pup; now, Your Highness, it is your turn!”

Again, Shokoti’s monster brought his metal hand down. When the dust settled, all could see that it had landed directly on top of the king. Even Horde Prime was surprised that he had managed to squash Eternia’s greatest defender. “I’ve done it!” both heads bellowed.

Suddenly, a large sliver of metal broke through the metal casing on top of the hand. King Grayskull’s sword effortlessly sliced through the rest, revealing that he was still very much alive. Before the stunned Horde leader could pull back, the king was running along the length of his arm, slicing through the red casing.

“No!” Horde Prime cried, as sheets of red metal fell away, revealing the crude inner frame of his body. He reached across with his left hand and brushed the smaller being away like one would brush away a frightful bug.

Landing in a roll, Grayskull was back on his feet in a flash, his teeth gritted. The Eternian ruler launched another attack, this time striking at his enemy’s legs! Just as easily as the broad sword had cut through Horde Prime’s hand, it severed the massive joint securing the left ankle.

Horde Prime collapsed to the ground with a crash that knocked Grayskull’s entire army off its feet.

The jolt was enough to break through Veena’s mournful wails for a moment. She pulled herself to the turret’s ledge, and saw her son’s killer splayed and crippled. Her husband was more than capable of finishing the mechanical leviathan off, but she hungered for her own slice of warm revenge.

The mystical queen held aloft her staff, and turned her tear-filled eyes toward the sky. “I beg of my ancestor, the beautiful Goddess, to replenish me long enough to avenge my son!”

A serpent made of sparkling, crimson light encircled Veena’s staff, and an arc of brilliant green lightening jumped from one cloud to another above.

“Thank you,” she whispered. The woman aimed the enchanted staff at the Horde’s leader, and the crimson serpent struck! It flew down, and coiled around and around the Horde leader, until the translucent beast had completely covered him. “You will never strip another mother of her child!” Veena screamed.

Struggling, Horde Prime vowed, “You have not heard the last of me!” The magical serpent pulled him into the air, and the energy-snake transformed into a cocoon of molten rock, entombing him completely.

The rocky tomb began to glow, before rocketing aimlessly toward the furthest flung reaches of space.

Hordak had seen enough, and he didn’t like what he had seen. From his belt he pulled a tiny communicator, which would instantly allow him to speak through tiny speakers embedded in each Horde trooper’s helmet.

“Retreat!” he snorted into the microphone. “We will regroup at the Well of Darkness, and then make our way to my secret sanctuary!”

As the troopers below began to comply, disappearing back into their subterranean holes before the king’s men could stop them, Hordak took to the airways once more.

The Book of the Ancients was still in his evil grip.
    MORE POP AND NEW ADVENTURES REPRESENTATION IN MOTUC PLEASE!

Dark Legacies
    MVC Comics - Collected Info About the Comics

Zoar28, Facebook

Chapter 5 - Part 11

Eldor placed a comforting hand on King Grayskull’s shoulder, but the monarch jerked away. Without a word, he mounted Savage-Cat and began the trek back to his fortress alone. Above, Veena’s falcon form could also be seen limping back.

The king’s advisor turned to the Man-At-Arms. “A group of men should remain here to alert Castle Grayskull should our enemies return. The rest can return home.”

“And you, sir?”

“I’m staying. I have not seen my son since the beginning of this onslaught, and I want to know what happened to him.”

The Man-At-Arms nodded and went to carry out the orders.

Eldor turned, and realized that the Staff of the Ancients remained untouched on the ground. He gingerly picked it up, and checked it for damage, of which there was none.

The Goddess appeared in a sparkling display of crimson light, and Eldor dropped to his knees at once. “Rise, noble Eldor,” she instructed kindly. She reached out and took the staff from him. “By my account, today was one of the most tragic days Eternia has ever seen.”

“Do you know what happened to my son, Your Grace?” Eldor asked timidly. She was silent, but Eldor wasn’t sure if it was because she didn’t know or if she was trying to spare him pain.

The Goddess held the Staff of the Ancients aloft, and it transformed into a glistening, golden sword with a jewel in its hilt.

“Just as Prince He-Ro did, this sword will defend the honor Grayskull.”

“It’s beautiful,” Eldor marveled. He started to ask about his son again, but the Goddess disappeared as quickly as she had come, taking the sword with her.

Dark Legacies

Zoar28, Facebook

Chapter 5 - Part 12

Shokoti was not going to last much longer. Hacking coughs racked her body, and with each one a thick, mucousy glob of black ooze hailed from her lungs. She placed all of her weight on the Havoc Staff, steadying herself as she stepped into the shallow pool near the throne in her pyramid. She muttered a brief incantation before releasing her grip on the staff and submerging herself in the dark water.

The Havoc Staff remained on top, standing magically on the water’s surface. It pulled sickly green waves of poisonous energy into it like a vacuum, beginning the long process that would eventually heal the evil witch.

In the meantime, she had no choice but to put herself into a suspended sleep. She would not awaken again until every ounce of Despondos’ corruption was gone from her veins.

Outside of the pyramid, three beings appeared in a swirl of sand and dust.

Two of the men looked young and strong, and were the color of cocoa beans. They were clad in alien armor of crimson and silver, and the bulbous, black eye-coverings on their helmets gave them an insectoid appearance.

The third man was pail, with a long beard of mixed gray and white. He was much older than his compatriots, and the crimson and silver robes he wore set him apart as their obvious leader. In his hand he carried a tall red-and-silver pike.

The leader nodded at the older of the two dark-skinned beings with him, and stepped forward. He pointed his pike at Shokoti’s secret place, and a sandstorm, unlike any before on Eternia, swept in from nowhere! The storm’s pelting winds did not so much as rustle the beard of the old man, but it brought forth enough sand to bury the temple completely.

Once the structure was completely hidden, they disappeared just as they had come, in a swirl of sand and dust.

Meanwhile, in a place where time seemed to stand still, He-Ro found himself feeling slightly odd, but otherwise alive! Fortunately for the young prince, he happened to land on the blubbery backside of the Sleeping Beast as it limped away from the spot where the gateway had been. (The behemoth didn’t even seem to notice.)

He carefully disembarked from the cushion that had broken his fall, and then took in his surroundings. It appeared he really had been thrown into Despondos, and without the Staff of the Ancients there was no way to even attempt communicating with his parents.

The prince couldn’t find the words to describe the barrenness that he was staring at. It was hot and dry—worse than any climate he had ever experienced on Eternia—with cracked red dirt and sparse, barren trees.

And then, the reddish clouds broke apart, for just a moment, and He-Ro observed a beautiful black sky, filled with neighboring planets and stars. The closest planet—which loomed over the one he was on like a giant moon—looked breathtaking, with its clearly visible, lush, purple and green foliage.

The realization struck him, then. Shokoti’s staff opened a gateway to this nightmare planet, but surely all of Despondos cannot be so evil.

He-Ro started feeling nauseous and dizzy, forcing him to hold off on further pontifications. “The poison from the barrier is already getting to me.” Before he knew what had hit him, the prince was sprawled in the dirt.

When he regained consciousness he went to lift himself up, but found that something very sharp had embedded itself in one of his hands. He struggled to sit-up, and then took stock of the object that had sliced into him. “This doesn’t exactly look like the right environment for a crystal.”

He-Ro, a voice called to him telepathically. The prince jumped slightly, realizing that the crystal had started putting on a light-show at the same time someone was calling to him. The voice spoke to him again. He-Ro, it’s Light Hope! Shokoti has trapped me in this crystal.

The prince thought it must be some kind of cruel joke. “It can’t be!”

It’s true. I went to confront her alone, just before she opened the gateway. She was far more powerful than I had anticipated, and once she had beaten me she trapped me in this crystal and threw it into the gateway.

“Can’t you get out?”

The rainbow colored lights flashing within the jewel intensified. I’ve tried, but at this point the curse is still too powerful. Perhaps over time I can free myself.

The prince cringed as his feelings of sickness increased dramatically. “Can you get us out of this dimension? Or at least do something to counteract the poison I’ve been exposed to?”

I can try to help you, but we can’t risk crossing dimensions at this point.

A shaft of yellow and blue light sprang from Light Hope’s prison, and passed over He-Ro’s body numerous times. Sadly, despite his best efforts, Light Hope’s powers paled in comparison to the eldritch veil that had inflicted this pain on He-Ro.

“I guess that’s it then.” His voice was filled with melancholy.

The son of Grayskull looked up as the clouds parted once more. “That’s such a beautiful planet. I wonder what it’s called? What it’s like? It’s got to be better than this place.”

I may not be able to heal you yet, but perhaps I can take us there while we wait for Shokoti’s curse to fade. Although Light Hope was trying his best to remain optimistic, he was sure his friend could detect the sorrow and sense of helplessness in his astral-voice.

He-Ro smiled slightly. “You’ve always been such a good friend.” He staggered to his feet, still clinging to the crystal. “Let’s do it.”

Fresh destinies lay ahead for both of us, so let us seek them out, my friend. The duo vanished in a swirl of Light Hope’s magic.

End of Part I

Well, folks, that's it for Part I of Dark Legacies! Part II will be coming soon! In the meantime, I would love to have as much feedback and criticism as possible!

Respectfully,
    Brett (a.k.a. Telkan2)

Dark Legacies

Zoar28, Facebook

This is one of the best stories I have read in a long time! Well done Telkan2 the art has really made this story come alive for me. I hope when He-Ro and Light Hope go to Etheria, they get to meet with the first ones, and maybe the ansesters of Norwin, Madam Razz and the Etherian royal family. It will be intreasting to see how you bring the Crystal Castle into part two of you story.
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Angel-T View Post
    This is one of the best stories I have read in a long time! Well done Telkan2 the art has really made this story come alive for me. I hope when He-Ro and Light Hope go to Etheria, they get to meet with the first ones, and maybe the ansesters of Norwin, Madam Razz and the Etherian royal family. It will be intreasting to see how you bring the Crystal Castle into part two of you story.
    Thanks for the compliments Angel-T. Unfortunately for you and the other POP fans, He-Ro's end of the story will be continued in another "book" entirely (one which is being written as we speak). The remainder of this story will focus on King Grayskull's final days and the rise of Keldor. I hope you and others will continue to enjoy this one, though!

Dark Legacies

Zoar28, Facebook

Grats

Telkan,

i cannot say it often enough...you have truely created a masterpiece...I am checking the forum every day just to see whether an update of your terriffic story has appeared on the board...

A thousand thx again for presenting this great story to us.

Your fan

monstarmaster

Quote Originally Posted by monstarmaster View Post
    Telkan,

i cannot say it often enough...you have truely created a masterpiece...I am checking the forum every day just to see whether an update of your terriffic story has appeared on the board...

A thousand thx again for presenting this great story to us.

Your fan

monstarmaster
    My sincerest thanks, Monstarmaster! I am so greateful for your many gracious comments, and hope you'll enjoy the next part just as much once it's ready to be posted. (It's written, but I'm still working on some of the artwork.)

Dark Legacies

Zoar28, Facebook

Movie mayhem!
    I love the newest stuff, i'm still getting a kick out of these very inventive images!

Thank you so much Patreek! I will be posting Part II around mid-May probably (I'm getting ready to go on my first-ever European vacation)!

The one that I'm most excited about starting, though, is Part III, where we will see the birth of Keldor and the beginning of his conflict with Randor!

Dark Legacies

Zoar28, Facebook

Movie mayhem!
    Very cool, can't wait! Where in EU are you going?

I'll be going to the UK for about 1 1/2 weeks and seeing as much as I can--I need to be in Oxford by May 5th for a "French and Saunders" show. I'll also be going to Ireland for 3 days during my trip. I'm very excited, because I've never been overseas!

Dark Legacies

Zoar28, Facebook

Part II: On Its Way!

Hello,

I just wanted to let everyone know that Part II of Dark Legacies is just around the corner. If you still haven't checked out Part I, now's the time!

As always, feedback is always appreciated!

Dark Legacies

Zoar28, Facebook

Heroic Warrior
    Telkan just wanted to tell you I am anxiously awaiting part 2. I love this story this and book of evil have blown me away. Its nice that we still have stuff like this to give us our motu story fix.
    N8

Dark Legacies (Part II)

It's taken far longer than I expected, but I finally present to you Part II of:

With Artwork by Ofty, Gbagok, and Telkan2

Works Cited

The majority of characters and locations incorporated into this story are the sole property of one of the companies listed below:

Mattel, Inc.
    333 Continental Boulevard
    El Segundo, CA 90245
    310-252-2000

Mike Young Productions
    20335 Ventura Boulevard, Suite 225
    Woodland Hills, CA 91364
    818-999-0062

Filmation Studios

For continuity purposes, in my efforts to piece together a coherent history and storyline, certain parts of this story rely on elements taken from the “He-Man and the Masters of the Universe” televisions series(es) and comics. Material was borrowed from the following sources:

Comics:

Masters of the Universe: Icons of Evil: Beastman

Krikman, Robert, Ian Richter, Val Staples (w), Tony Moore (p), and Val Staples and Mark Sweeney (i). “Beastman.” Masters of the Universe, Icons of Evil #1 [One-Shot] (June 2003), Image Comics.

Masters of the Universe: Icons of Evil: Tri-Klops

Krikman, Robert, Ian Richter, Val Staples (w), Diogenes Neves, Antony Bilal, Renato Arlem, et al. (p), and Bill Crabtree and Ron Riley (i). “Tri-Klops.” Masters of the Universe, Icons of Evil #1 [One-Shot] (October 2003), CrossGen Publishing, LLC.

Masters of the Universe: Volume 3, Issue 5

Santalucia, Emiliano, Lori Ann Scott, Val Staples (w), Enza Fontana, Emiliano Santalucia (p), and James Offredi and Deidre Vance (i). Masters of the Universe [Volume 3], #5 (July 2004), MVCreations, LLC

Television Episodes (2002 – 2003):

“Beginning, The (Part I)”
    “Ties that Bind, The”
    “Snake Pit”
    “Separation”
    “Out of the Past”
    “Rise of the Snake Men (Part I)”
    “Price of Deceit”
    “Power of Grayskull, The”
    “History”

This work is solely that of a fan who wishes to honor the characters (and thereby the creators of said characters) that sparked in him a passion for fantasy and creativity that remains with him to this very day. No infringement on the copyrights or the creative talents of others from whom I’ve borrowed is intended. Thank you!

Dark Legacies

Zoar28, Facebook

Part 01

Eternia was in mourning. Black drapes hung from Castle Grayskull’s white edifice, and flags throughout the land were lowered to half-staff. Men and women everywhere, of all races and tribes, practiced their nation’s varied death rituals. Even the stoic guards of the castle occasionally wept, and when they did so it was without shame or care for who saw.

King Grayskull and Queen Veena were inconsolable, and they alternated between ferocious arguments and clinging to each other tightly, while refusing all others. Even Eldor, who was grappling with the apparent loss of his own son, was not allowed to enter the throne room of Castle Grayskull.

Spurned by his friends, and aching with grief, the old man left one day without a word. Months later, a nomadic woman found Eldor’s remains in the mouth of a shallow cave, not far from the spot where he had last seen Light Hope. The kind woman buried the stranger beneath a pile of smooth stones to protect it from scavengers, before continuing on her way.

During this dark time, the Elders were doing their best to be both governors and protectors of the lands. Taking advantage of the royal family’s weakened state, the Snake Men and other warlords had been relentless. As for the Horde, they were biding their time and growing in numbers while Hordak studied the Book of the Ancients...

One night, a cold rain fell from the dark sky above Castle Grayskull. The moat and the puddles below glistened in the occasional sliver of moonlight. Veena’s sleep had been wracked with nightmares about her lost son, and she found herself prowling the castle halls in an exhausted, almost catatonic state.

She paused near a window that had been left open, and drank in the smell of the rain. A burst of wind blew a smattering of water droplets against her face, but she hardly noticed. “It’s my fault that he’s trapped,” she whispered.

The Goddess materialized, and placed an olive-colored hand on her descendant’s shoulder. “You did not know what would happen, and He-Ro would not have wanted to be spared at the cost of Eternia’s destruction.”

Veena turned and glared at the elder woman. “What about what I want—my son, at home, where he belongs!”

“Take solace in this, child…” The Goddess waved her hand, and a sparkling image appeared in the open window-frame. He-Ro was there, in a lush forest of lavender, sprawled out on the soft-looking grass. He looked dreadfully sick, but a young Troll seemed to be treating his ailment.

The image faded, and Veena gasped. “He’s still alive! We must help him!”

“His body would never survive another cross-dimensional trip. You know now that he is alive, and that he’s not alone. Your son’s destiny is on that world now, and you must let it play out.”

The queen wanted to protest, and scream out that she didn’t care about things like destiny, but deep down she knew that the Goddess was right about the cost of bringing him home. “How do we go on, knowing that he’s still alive but that we are still prevented from being with him?”

“That is a question that only you and your husband can answer.” She took Veena by the arm and started walking purposefully through a maze of corridors. “But, for now, there is something else that I have come to show you, child...”
    Last edited by Telkan2; January 25, 2009 at 12:07pm.

Dark Legacies

Zoar28, Facebook

Part 02

They eventually stopped in a musty, unused chamber that the queen had never seen before. The Goddess tapped on the stone floor with her staff, and it started to sink into a hidden part of Castle Grayskull. It was like being in outerspace, with giant crystalline structures in place of the stars. Blackness encompassed everything but the crystals, and the bottom of the strange area was lost to darkness.

“We are beneath Castle Grayskull now,” the Goddess announced, “in the Crystal Chamber.”

“I have never seen or heard of such a place! It’s incredible!”

“As keeper of the Book of the Ancients, only Eldor knew what lay under the fortress, and I swore him to secrecy long ago.”

“What is it?” Veena asked timidly.

“The resting place of the Ancients,” came the solemn reply. She went on to explain. “When their great powers started to wane, they were forced to rely on the eldritch crystals in this abyss to amplify their magic. Sadly, age marginalized their powers so much that not even these crystals were enough to help them maintain harmony. For the first time in its history, Eternia faced the threat of Evil—the abominated race known as the Snake Men!

“To protect my dear friends in their final years I ensured that a proper fortress was built atop the Crystal Chamber, and that a mighty warrior would stand to protect it.

Veena was shocked. “You refer to Castle Grayskull?”

“By a different name, and in one of its earliest incarnations, yes.”

“And you said this is their resting place. Does that mean…?”

“None of us are able to avoid the transition from this realm to the next. The bodies of the Ancients are protected from desecration deep in the abyss.”

The queen nodded, but a lingering question played on her mind. “Why have you brought me here? Why is all of this significant now?”

“Though the Ancients are gone, great power still dwells here. It is an ideal place to keep safe an object of immense importance.”

The Sword of Protection appeared before them, resting in an ornate, wooden box. The queen reached out to touch it, but the box sealed itself before she could. The case slowly sank into the darkness below.

“I felt something…familiar about that sword.”

“You are sensing your son’s connection to it.”

“Was that…the Staff of Ancients?”

The Goddess nodded as the pair began to rise toward the castle proper once more. Once the tiles had settled into place, she said, “I must leave you for now, Veena.” Before vanishing, she placed a tender hand on the queen’s abdomen and smiled.

The queen had mixed emotions about what she had learned, and so many questions. Not for a second, though, did she stop to wonder why her ancestor had placed a hand on her stomach…
    Last edited by Telkan2; January 25, 2009 at 12:07pm.

Dark Legacies

Zoar28, Facebook

Love It, Love It, Love It! Welcome back, I just adora this story!
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

Part 03

Thanks, Angel-T, I appreciate the encouraging words! Keep those comments coming, folks, I really appreciate them all!

Days later, the king and queen were engaged in another furious argument! Veena had learned that twin souls were growing in her belly, and that they had been conceived just days prior to the infamous battle at Castle Eternia. While she was overjoyed, Grayskull felt that the Fates were trying to make him forget his firstborn by pushing fledgling heirs on him. The king was hurt that his wife did not share that view.

“These children will never take the place of He-Ro!” she screamed, tears streaming down her face. “We know now that he is still alive, and he has a destiny of his own to fulfill!”

“These children will assume his place!” the king retorted, his face red. “When we are gone, and one of these children takes the throne, it is his or her name that will be recorded in the scrolls of history! Our firstborn son, the man that practically gave his life in the service of this planet, will be forgotten with the ages!”

Veena tried to argue this point, but she could not. As the tears continued down her face, she cradled her stomach and turned to leave the chamber. Before she could reach the door, three men in crimson and silver—the ones responsible for burying Shokoti’s pyramid—appeared. The queen gasped, and took a step back.

“Who are you?” Grayskull demanded, unsheathing his sword.

“Stop!” Veena shouted, holding out her hand to steady him. She studied the trio’s regiments for another second before declaring: “They’re Cosmic Enforcers.”

Grayskull eyed them suspiciously. “Who are these ‘Cosmic Enforcers’?”

The eldest of the trio, who wore robes instead of armor, stepped forward. “We are riders of the spaceways, a race as old as time immemorial, and we are charged with the solemn duty of maintaining the balance between good and evil.”

The king snorted. “Evil has already triumphed on Eternia.”

“Not so,” was the response. “I am Zanthor, and these are my apprentices, Zeehlar and Zodak.” The two dark-skinned Enforcers nodded respectfully.

“Welcome to Eternia,” Veena stated simply, wiping the remaining tears from her eyes. “Please forgive us, but my husband and I have recently lost our son to a great evil.”

“We know,” Zeehlar replied. “The sorceress Shokoti has brought about a great imbalance between the forces of good and evil on this world. That is why we have come, to help set things right.”

“Can you bring back my son?” Grayskull asked bitterly.

Zanthor’s expression did not change. “That would go against our duty.”

“We act more indirectly,” Zodak added. “But, we have ensured that Shokoti will not be allowed to tilt the balance further until the heroes of this planet are more prepared to hold her back.”

King Grayskull returned to this throne, a brooding look on his face. Zodak’s words fell on deaf ears. “If you cannot bring my boy back from his hellish prison, then you are of no aide to us.”

Zeehlar started to speak. “But—”

“As you wish,” Zanthor interrupted. Together, the Enforcers vanished.

Veena turned to look at her husband, but she could find no words to express her feelings. She finally settled on silence as she left the throne room.
    Last edited by Telkan2; January 25, 2009 at 12:08pm.

Dark Legacies

Zoar28, Facebook

Part 04

Hordak slammed the Book of the Ancients closed, and rubbed his tired, red eyes. The young warlord paced about his private chambers wearily, lost in his dark thoughts.

So much time has already been wasted! This would be the most opportune time to strike at the humans, but most of that blasted book remains undecipherable to me!

He collapsed into a chair, allowing his arms to lay limply over the sides. “There must be someone in this miserable universe that can read that dusty old tome,” he muttered aloud.

Suddenly, the book began to glow an eerie shade of red, and a fierce wind blew in from nowhere. The pages began flipping rapidly against the enchanted air! Just as quickly as it had all started, the glow and the wind both died away.

Hordak jumped from his seat and ran over to the book, staring down at the page left open to him. Like so many of the other pages, this one was written in a script so archaic that he could not read it. He started to curse again, but was struck silent as the glyphs began to swim about and change form. Bewildered though he was, the de-facto Horde leader was now staring down at a page that looked as if it had been written by his own people!

He gave the page a quick once-over, lest it revert back to its original state before he could finish, and then he re-read it more thoroughly:

It told the tale of three Cosmic Enforcers, their names stricken from all records, who had become corrupt with power. They sought to rule the universe itself by harnessing the Golden Disks of Knowledge (whatever those might be). Their friend, a Cosmic Enforcer named Zanthor, was the Keeper of Disks, and they had counted on his help to gain access to them. Though he was tempted briefly, Zanthor did not succumb to the pressures of his dastardly friends. There was a furious battle, the likes of which the universe has seldom seen, and the fallen three called on all of their darkest powers to attack Zanthor. Finally, the Keeper of Disks surrendered. He opened a gateway, which he claimed would lead his former comrades to their treasure. It was a trick, though! The gateway sealed immediately after the three evil Cosmic Enforcers stepped through, trapping them in a ghost-like place known as the Phantom Zone!

The book went on to say that the three were like spirits themselves now. Though they cannot be a part of the living universe anymore, they can still exert a minimal influence at great cost to themselves. Forever cursed, they still do what they can to hinder the Cosmic Enforcers (specifically their former friend Zanthor), which garnered them the title “Shadow Weavers”.

As Hordak finished reading the record of events a second time, the characters on the page reverted to their original language. He tried to soak in what he had just read. He had heard about the legendary Cosmic Enforcers, and the powers they possessed, and if he could just find some way to harness the powers of those evil ones—the Shadow Weavers—the universe itself would belong to the Horde!

Hordak turned away from the book and walked toward the small, lone window in his chamber, but stopped dead in his tracks when he saw the reflection therein. Not a single thing in the room, including Hordak himself, shown on the glassy surface. Rather, three menacing figures, cloaked entirely in charcoal colored robes, and with eyes like molten stones, returned the Horde leader’s gaze.

“You are them?” he asked, trying his best to hide the surprise in his voice.

The trio nodded in unison.

“And it was you who manipulated the book just now?”

They nodded again.

“What do you want with me?”

All three answered in perfect, whispered unison. “Free us, Hordak, and we will help you conquer this world.”

“Why would you help me?”

Again, the Shadow Weavers spoke together. “We have followed our ancient enemy to Eternia. You can free us from the Phantom Zone, but Zanthor would drive us back before we could regain our strength! But you, with the Book of the Ancients, can stop him!”

Hordak’s eyes grew wide. “How am I to challenge a Cosmic Enforcer?”

“Make a trade. The forces of good and evil are unbalanced so long as you still possess the book. Zanthor and his protégés have nullified Shokoti, but they are still wary of you because they do not know how much you have learned from the book. Restoring the balance between good and evil will be more important to Zanthor than preventing our release from the Phantom Zone.”

This time, the Horde leader laughed. “You expect me to give up the Book of the Ancients? It is my key to victory. Once I harness its powers, the universe will be mine!”

“Fool!” the ghosts hissed. “We are as old and knowledgeable as anything you may find in that tome. Free us, and we will be indebted to you! Our wealth of knowledge and power will be at your disposal.”

Hordak was silent for a long moment. It will take an age for me to decipher much of the text in the Book of the Ancients. And if a Cosmic Enforcer has already come to Eternia looking to wrest it from my hands, then perhaps it would be beneficial to me to take these Shadow Weavers at their word.

“Very well,” he finally declared. “I will free you in exchange for your offer of servitude.”

“A wise choice, Hordak…”

Dark Legacies

Zoar28, Facebook

Part 05

To the south-west, across the Harmony Sea, an odd structure now rested between two peaks in the Glacier Mountains. Its occupants, Zanthor and his apprentices, had dubbed it Point Dread.

“Will our stay on this plebian world really be long enough to require a shelter such as this?” the impatient Zodak asked.

“Quiet, brother,” Zeehlar shushed. “Master Zanthor says we must be cautious in our efforts to retrieve the Book of the Ancients from evil hands. We do not yet know how much Hordak has learned.”

Elsewhere in the chalet, Zanthor was in a deep trance. He was deeply troubled that the familiar presences of those that had haunted him since their banishment to the Phantom Zone were suddenly gone. For countless years they had attacked his dreams, and done their best to tear away at the things he cared for most. But since arriving on Eternia, they had not whispered horrors in his ears.

Zanthor’s eyes sprang open, surrounded by brilliant silvery glow. “They have convinced Hordak to free them!” In a flash of light, he was gone!

“You’ve done it!” the Shadow Weavers gasped victoriously. They huddled around each other, reaching out to verify their renewed tangibility.

Hordak was slightly let down. The three did not appear nearly as menacing in the flesh. In fact, they looked frail and weak, dripping with oozing, otherworldly plasma.

“We know what you are thinking,” they spoke, returning their attention to him. “As we told you, we will be feeble upon our return. Very soon, though, we will be back at full strength, and the universe will quiver!”

“I think not,” Zanthor challenged, appearing in the center of the chamber.

The Shadow Weavers hissed at the Cosmic Enforcer, and Hordak placed himself between the ancient enemies. “Hold your tongue, great one.”

“I will contend with you in a moment, Hordak.”

But the Horde leader continued. “You mean because I have the Book of the Ancients? Is that what you want?”

Zanthor regarded Hordak suspiciously. “Universal harmony must be maintained. You cannot be trusted with the Book of the Ancients, Hordak. Beyond that, the Higher Power I answer to has determined that no mortal beings are to be trusted with the book at this time. Therefore, it shall be guarded by the Cosmic Enforcers until the time is right to bestow its greatness on mankind again.”

Hordak snorted. “And what if I handed the book over to you, Zanthor? Would you allow the Shadow Weavers to remain on this plane of existence?”

“I would consider it,” he stammered, still unsure of Hordak’s plan.

“Give him the Book of the Ancients, Hordak,” the Shadow Weavers urged.

The Horde leader cursed under his breath, and hoped that he was making the best move to garner the power he wanted so badly. Reluctantly, he handed the tome to Zanthor.

The Cosmic Enforcer held it aloft, and it vanished completely. Lowering his arm, he turned his attention back to the Shadow Weavers. “And now for them.”

“No!” Hordak bellowed. “You said you would not send them back to the Phantom Zone!”

Zanthor opened the portal to the other realm and replied, “I told you I would consider it, but I have decided that they are too dangerous to remain free.”

The Shadow Weavers leapt into the air and circled the top of the chamber like giant, black bats. “We will not be exiled again, Zanthor!”

Unexpectedly, Hordak transformed his cape-like appendage into a pair of wings, and tackled the Cosmic Enforcer. Before Zanthor could react, the Spikean wizard had flung him through the portal of his own creation. It sealed less that a heartbeat later, trapping Zanthor in the Phantom Zone.

The Shadow Weavers returned to the ground. “Well done, Hordak!” they applauded. “It will be a long time before he learns how to communicate with his friends from that ghostly prison. Trapped and alone, he will surely go mad!” They began cackling wickedly, and Hordak wondered just how mad his new allies were themselves.

“We had no intention of keeping our word,” they continued. “But, we see now that your heart is as black as our own. We will aide in you in your conquest of this planet after all, as repayment for our freedom.”

“And after Eternia has fallen?” His eyes were now firmly fixed on the larger prize: the universe itself!

“We will discuss it when the time comes,” they lied. “For now, though, we must rejuvenate. It will still be some time before our powers have fully returned—perhaps even years—but by then Eternia will be yours...”

Dark Legacies

Zoar28, Facebook

Part 06

Zeehlar and Zodak found themselves transported to a stark, white landscape. The sky and the land were indiscernible, but it was beautiful in its purity and simplicity. Neither Cosmic Enforcer had ever seen such a place.

“Where are we?” Zodak asked with wonderment.

“I don’t know, but I think we’re about to find out—Look!”

A swirling, sparkling cloud rolled toward them. The brothers were dwarfed by the massive entity, yet they sensed no danger from it. Greetings, said a thunderous, telepathic voice. I am a Messenger for the Higher Power.

Zeehlar and Zodak dropped to their knees at once. Only the most ancient and powerful Cosmic Enforcers had ever been brought before a Messenger. It was an honor never even bestowed upon Zanthor. “How may we serve?” Zeehlar asked.

The planet Eternia needs your help to maintain the balance, yet you still have much to learn, and our numbers are stretched too thin to provide you with another teacher at this time.

“Why would we need another mentor, Messenger?”

The Messenger did not answer their question. Remain on Eternia until further notice, and help where and when you can.

The cloud dissipated, and as soon as it was gone the brothers found themselves back at Point Dread.

Queen Veena sat upon her grand throne, the larger one to her right resting empty. Her husband had refused the audience with Zeehlar and Zodak, but Veena knew that there must be great danger for two Cosmic Enforcers to seek aide from mere mortals.

“My husband continues to pull away from the outside world,” she explained in her apology. “The loss of our firstborn, I fear, may have been too much for him.”

“It was a loss most terrible, noble queen,” Zeehlar replied. “Unfortunately, my brother and I may be looking at a loss of our own.”

“Our master, Zanthor, vanished without a trace the other night,” Zodak picked up. “We fear the worst for our teacher, but in the meantime the Higher Power we serve has directed us to stay on Eternia.”

“If you seek help in looking for your teacher, then I don’t know what you expect of me,” Veena replied. “Your race possesses magic far beyond my own abilities, and if you have not been able to locate Zanthor then I’m not sure what else I can offer.”

“It is true that even my brother and I, though we are still in training, have more magical energy flowing through us than you do. However, you have knowledge of this world, and its players, that we do not, yet.”

Zeehlar continued. “We fear that Zanthor may have gone after the Book of the Ancients alone. Its removal from Eternia was our next goal, after neutralizing Shokoti. Zanthor was still worried that the most recent keeper of the book may have already tapped into its powers, which is why we had not struck yet.”

The queen was stunned. “I thought the book was lost during the battle, or that good Eldor had secreted it away the night he left Castle Grayskull.”

The celestial brothers shook their heads. “The one called Hordak—brother to the amalgamated Spikean-war-machine that you and your husband sent hurtling into space—came into possession of the book. Even now, he and his Horde wait for the right time to strike at Eternia.”

“If you know Hordak has the book, and you fear that Zanthor went to retrieve it alone, why have you come here? Why did you not rush to his aide?”

“Because, Your Highness, Zanthor never shared with us where Hordak’s army was hidden. They could be anywhere on this planet, which is why we had hoped you would know their location.”

Veena shook her head. “It appears that you know more of this Horde than I do. They are an unknown force, which first emerged during the battle at Castle Eternia on that fateful day. We assumed they were agents of Shokoti, but I know nothing more beyond that.”

Zeehlar and Zodak nodded disappointedly, and turned to leave.

“Wait!” Veena called as they reached the throne room doors. “We believe that the Snake Men were under Shokoti’s banner as well. Perhaps they can shed light on the location of the Horde.”

Zeehlar smiled for the first time since coming to Eternia. “Thank you, Queen Veena. Where can we find the Snake Men?”

“The simplest way is to head east by land, but you would be crossing many areas that are infested with the armies of King Hsss at this time. Instead, I believe the waterways to be the safest route.”

Veena arose from her throne and created a magical map of the planet in midair. As she spoke, a tiny, red-dashed line followed her words. “Head south-west once you leave Castle Grayskull. Take the River of Prosperity until it empties into the mighty Ocean of Gnarl. Navigate toward the setting sun, and you will eventually reach a town called Teserath. From there you can find the terrible fortress known as Snake Mountain.” The map vanished, and Veena accepted their thanks.

“There are two more things that I can offer you,” the queen added. “The kind-hearted Emperor Gnarl, for whom the mighty body of water is named, serves on my husband’s governmental Council of Elders. I will request that he do everything in his power to aide you in your travel across his kingdom.

“Secondly, I grant you the honorary title of ‘Ambassadors to the Elders’. Perhaps this added weight behind your visit will convince King Hsss to be more cooperative, though it is doubtful.”

“Your kindness is matched only by your beauty, Queen Veena. Thank you once more.” The two brothers left the throne room after wishes of a good journey...

Dark Legacies

Zoar28, Facebook

I am so loving this, it's just the kinda back story I had always hoped for!

Part 07

Angel-T, again, I thank you for your kind words! I'm glad to see that there's at least one fan out there enjoying this! I hope other folks are too...and if they are, I hope they'll post some feedback soon, LOL!

And now, on to the next part...

King Hsss stared out from the mouth of Serpos, surveying the stretch of his kingdom within view. Sssqueeze was nearby, prattling on about the annual preparations being made for the winter sleep the commoners would soon be entering. While so many of the Snake Men hibernated, it would be up to the hosts of Snake Mountain to protect them.

“Enough,” Hsss cut him off. “You are doing a fine job of overs-s-seeing the preparations, as usual.” Without another word, the king returned to his humid throne room.

“Master,” General Rattlor beckoned as Hsss sat down. “We have captured a human servant from Castle Grayskull. Before she was devoured, the woman revealed that there is strife between Grayskull and his wife.”

“S-s-strife?”

“Yes, Master. Her belly is filled with young ones, and this displeases the human king.”

Though the gossip was interesting, it was of little consequence. The Snake Men had taken full advantage of the royal family’s discord following He-Ro’s destruction, but now they needed to conserve their might for the winter months.

Just then, a strange, bubbling sound came from a darkened corner of the chamber. An olive colored Snake Man, with a flat body and face, emerged from a watery pit. The creature stepped out of the pool, and bestowed a dripping bow upon his king.

“Ah,” King Hsss announced, “it’s been a long time s-s-since you’ve reported to me, Aipysurus.”

The sea-snake bowed again. “Forgive me, King Hsss, but I was deeply entrenched in a Mer-City.”

“And what information have you brought for me, spy? I hope it is of more use than other news that has been delivered to me today”

“A decree has come down from Emperor Gnarl. Two travelers from Castle Grayskull will be crossing the ocean, and the creatures of the sea are to grant them safe passage.”

“What is their destination?”

After a brief pause the spy answered. “Snake Mountain itself.”

King Hsss narrowed his cunning eyes. What are the humans-s-s planning? “Ready a welcoming party,” he commanded. “As for you, Aipysurus, you have served your king well.”

“Thank you, My Liege.” The sea-snake made his way back into the watery pool which would lead him from Blood River back into the Ocean of Gnarl.

Ten uneventful days later, less than a mile off the coast of Teserath, a giant fish came to a stop mid-swim. It opened its large mouth, and a robust Mer-Man swam out, pulling Zeehlar and Zodak behind him.

The three figures stepped onto the shore and turned to look at each other. The Mer-Man, a solid green warrior with a long, coral-colored beard, spoke first. “This is as far as I go, brave travelers. These lands are not friendly territory for those loyal to Emperor Gnarl.”

Zeehlar placed a hand on the larger creature’s armored shoulder. “Thank you, friend Maq-Rel, and please extend our thanks to your most gracious leader as well.”

“I know not why you seek an audience with the reptiles, brothers cosmic, but it is not too late to change your mind.”

Zodak shook his head. “We must learn what has become of Zanthor. Besides, we have nothing to fear from the Snake Men.”

“Then at least let me offer some advice,” Maq-Rel said. “King Hsss is extremely devious, and thusly very dangerous. I would recommend that you approach the situation with an equally cunning mind.”

“Thank you again,” Zeehlar replied. “We have already decided to employ a ruse until we can determine what this King Hsss is like for ourselves.”

After a few moments of discussion and planning, the group disbanded. Maq-Rel returned to the water, and the Cosmic Enforcers split-up...

Dark Legacies

Zoar28, Facebook

Hey, been a fan of this story for a long time, it's great to be reading this again! Wonderful job so far with the origin of the shadow weavers and now this build up for the two enforcers meeting king hsss. Great stuff, keep it coming!

(If anyone needs to e-mail me don't use the one on this site just use knight_of_circe@yahoo.com)

"I am Skeletor overlord of E-ville!"
    -Skeletor (MYP version...he definitely said E-ville)

http://khenmes.deviantart.com/

Part 08

Thank you for the feedback, Luminak, I am greatful for your words, and glad that I can provdie you with a fun read! Now, back to the story...

An Orc, dressed in glistening Horde Trooper armor, saluted Hordak as he entered the Spikean’s war-room. “Speak,” Hordak commanded.

“Master, we have captured a humanoid that was snooping around.”

The Horde leader did not even look up from the maps he was studying. “My orders were that all intruders be disposed of immediately!”

The Trooper hesitated before continuing. “But, sir, this human seems to have knowledge of the machinery used to construct Horde Prime.”

That was enough to capture Hordak’s attention. “Search him for weapons, and then bring him to my throne room. And I want all units on full alert!”

The Trooper saluted once more before scurrying from the chamber.

A short while later, Hordak was looking at a puny looking, balding human. “I come from the place that maps once called the Machine City. My name is Galen Nycroft, and I used to be a well-known scientist.”

“What has brought you to my sanctuary?” Hordak demanded.

“Many years ago, when the minions of Prahvus began their attacks on Machine City, mine was one of the first workshops to be razed. Those ignorant brutes stole countless weaponry prototypes: blueprints for everything from lasers that could be embedded in the palms of gloves, to jet-packs in the soles of boots.

“After Machine City was destroyed, I began wandering Eternia like a common urchin. Eventually, news of the great battle at Castle Eternia reached my ears, thanks to a wounded soldier that had actually been there. I heard about the terrible, mechanical horror named Horde Prime.”

“My patience grows thin, flesh bag,” Hordak warned. “Get to the point!”

Galen Nycroft trembled as he rushed through the rest of his story. “Yes, Great Hordak. As I was saying, I heard about Horde Prime, and I was sure that my stolen weaponry prototypes had been used in its construction. After that, I devised a sort of seismic-homing device that eventually led me here.”

Hordak stroked his gray chin. “An interesting tale, and there is a chance that the plans for Horde Prime did incorporate some of your work. Tell me, scientist, could you duplicate such weapons?”

Dr. Nycroft revealed a terrible, crooked smile. “Without a doubt, Great Hordak, and I could aide your army in numerous other ways as well.”

“How so?”

“The leaders of this world did almost nothing to save my city, and I have longed for a way to make them suffer as I did. ‘Lo these many years, I have been working on a way to alter the genetic structure of Eternia’s most terrible beasts, in hopes of one day unleashing them upon the world. Thus, I think I have found a way to build an army of super-soldiers…but I do not have the resources to do it alone.”

Hordak was silent for a long while as he pondered the man before him. Finally, he said, “I will give you the resources to build some of these super-soldiers for me. If your attempts are successful, I may allow you to live. Otherwise…”

Galen Nycroft’s eyes grew wide. “You are most generous, Terrible One. I can begin at once!”

“Take Dr. Nycroft to the laboratories below,” Hordak instructed the Trooper, who complied without question.

Before the Spikean could return to his maps, the Shadow Weavers floated into the chamber. “We have done it, Hordak,” they announced.

“You’ve devised a way to eliminate the Snake Men without having to expend Horde resources?” he asked hopefully.

They nodded, and then each of the dark creatures pulled a stone object from their robes. “When assembled, this Triad of Discidium will block the suns from the sky. Without the suns’ warmth, the reptiles will freeze to death.”

“How does it block out the light from the suns?”

“The Triad will create a coherent vortex structure—in essence, a giant cyclone in the upper atmosphere. It will stay in place over the Snake Men’s realm until they die out from the drop in temperature, and then we will use the Triad to dissolve the vortex and bring light to the area once more.”

“And you’re sure this will work?”

“Of course,” they answered, and then went on to explain. “We used it before, back when we were still Cosmic Enforcers: A Jovian sorcerer in the Terran System sought to enslave an emerging race on a nearby planet, and we were forced to use the Triad to foil his plans. The storm it created was so great that it could actually be seen from that other planet using their plebian technology.”

“Good, good. I commend you on your plan, Weavers!” Hordak replied excitedly, his red eyes bulging with anticipation. “With the Snake Men out of my way, only Grayskull’s army will stand in the way of Eternia’s conquest!”

“We have determined that the Well of Darkness is a focal point for numerous evil energy veins beneath the planet. We should assemble the Triad of Discidium there, so its power will be even greater.”

“Then we will go at once to the Well of Darkness!”

Dark Legacies

Zoar28, Facebook