Thread: And the hits keeps coming. Mattel loses the disney licence

And the hits keeps coming. Mattel loses the disney licence

First they lose the title of world's bigest toy maker to Lego, and now hasbro gets the disney rights!

Get back on your game Mattel! listen to the fans not your ego driven board and myopic accountants.

http://toynewsi.com/news.php?catid=270&itemid=23348
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

I hope Disney said something like, "Hey Mattel: Just to help manage expectations we're letting you know that you're going to be losing a pretty big brand in the next year or two. It's nothing personal; just logistics."

"Oh, and we've got this great designer working on some new Disney stuff coming up. His name is Emiliano. Have you heard of him?"
    Looking for movie reviews, geek news, and other such nonsense? Check out my site: http://www.thepicreview.com/

"We have a Ram-Man"

Shivering Isles resident diosoth's Avatar
    Personally, I think Disney has their sights set on buying Hasbro sometime in the future- they bought out Marvel and Star Wars for starters, so a toy company seems the next likely step, and Hasbro would be a likely candidate. Or if not buying the company wholesale(which I'm sure would upset Michael Bay quite hard, it'd mean no more Dreamworks-produced Hasbro films) at least using them as a catch-all producer of their merchandise.

I say this because somehow I suspect Hasbro will get the Disney rights next, seeing as they already have the other major Disney franchises well established as core brands. They seem the most likely company. Regardless, I doubt Mattel had any chance of retaining this license, I suspect too many politics are at work here.

I have this sneaking suspicion that next Disney will try to get the Marvel and SW rights out of Lego's hands, and possibly over to Hasbro for Kre-O lines. Despite the fact the Lego lines sell well, Disney didn't seem to want to play ball at all with Lego for the movie- notice that neither SW nor Marvel show up anywhere while Batman is a main character and TMNT at least got cameos. I'd wager they're itching to get all their stuff under one banner, to not work strongly with competitors or companies that side with competitors, and Hasbro has the means since Kre-O would be the final step.

Of course, I could be 100% wrong on this, but it seems most likely to me that Disney will continue/strengthen their partnership with Hasbro in some manner, so it'd probably be more likely they'd get the Disney toy license over Jakks or Playmates. And if you did want to get your hooks into a company t purchase them out, having as many ties with them as possible would not hurt and I can see Disney wanting to acquire a toy company. I'm surprised in all their years they haven't done just that long ago.

Defender of the Underdog He-Dad's Avatar
    Lego has rights to Disney Princesses too. I don't think it would be in Disney's best interest to not license out to Lego. People actually buy them. But in my opinion it doesn't matter what company puts out the toys. I don't really look at that when I buy them.

Mattel had the Disney license?

That is news to me.
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by wolfsfang View Post
    Mattel had the Disney license?
    That is news to me.
    Yeah, they did the Monsters University Imaginext figures. Then, of course, they've been doing all the disney princess dolls for....geeze, I dunno how long! Pretty much all those barbie-style princess figures you see are Mattel.
    Last edited by Alexx; September 25, 2014 at 11:25am.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Hasbro is an interesting choice to sell a doll license too. Just because they aren't really known for that, right?
    Coming Soon. My line of 5.5'' action figures. EonQuest.com
    fwww.facebook.com/eonquest
    www.twitter.com/eon_quest

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    Hasbro is an interesting choice to sell a doll license too. Just because they aren't really known for that, right?
    Yeah, I'm wracking my brain trying to think of dolls in Hasbro's corner, but I'm just coming up with ponies and littlest pet shop. OH, they do those humanoid pony figures now, so that might be a good example.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    Not really - But Mattel hasn't been able to keep up with production on Frozen dolls so I can see where that would be a problem. It makes sense when Hasbro has Marvel and Star Wars to just give them the rest of the properties. I guess they are more satisfied with those lines. Personally I buy the ones from the Disney Store for my neice. I don't know if that was a Mattel line but there is a noticeable quality difference between the two. The Disney Store line is much nicer than the ones at retail.

I believe Disney Store stuff is usually from smaller companies they contract for that stuff- it's only sold through their store, after all, so they can likely get around mass-market contracts. It also tends to mean higher quality pieces, at higher prices. Items like that gigantic and expensive Sgt. Galhoun doll would've never flown at normal retail.

I can believe Mattel isn't keeping up with Frozen demand, since they also have to manufacture their own MH line. They're stretched thin and Frozen ended up being a bigger deal than anyone expected. But will another toy company do any better? AND... with the turnaround time for a new company to make molds and dress patterns, hire factories, make the dolls and ship them out, will Frozen still be as popular in that year or so it takes for a new company to get the goods going?

I get the feeling this isn't about sales, but rather Disney politics. This is the same company that's opted to all but bury the 90s Disney properties because they hate anything Eisner had a hand in, even if stuff like DI Ducktales or Darkwing Duck would probably do quite well because it has a history and enough nostalgic popularity to attract customers.
    Last edited by diosoth; September 25, 2014 at 12:33pm.

Mattel loses Disney doll brands

Here's the link with info:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/09/...5ea3d31d000004

This is a terrible big loss for Mattel. Hasbro has pretty much won on the boys' toys with Marvel, Star Wars, Transformers & G.I.Joe; but now they got a big brand for girls to add to Pony. Having Marvel & Star Wars brands and now adding Disney dolls I may assume that is just a matter of time until all Disney brands are under Hasbro

Mattel has done quite a job with Toy Story & Cars and Princess dolls, but they seem to be suffering from depowerment by just keeping Barbie, Monster High & Hot Wheels. Probably this could mean a new perspective for Mattel to look for other brands or consolidate more MOTU & DC.
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab

My feedback thread

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by diosoth View Post
    I have this sneaking suspicion that next Disney will try to get the Marvel and SW rights out of Lego's hands, and possibly over to Hasbro for Kre-O lines. Despite the fact the Lego lines sell well, Disney didn't seem to want to play ball at all with Lego for the movie- notice that neither SW nor Marvel show up anywhere while Batman is a main character and TMNT at least got cameos.
    What version of The Lego Movie did you see? Because I saw it in the theater and have it on Blu-Ray, and this scene happens in it...

which includes some of the original actors doing the voices...

This scene was also semi-important to the movie since Batman steals a part from the Millenium Falcon that they needed to complete their mission.

Also Batman being a main character (and with other DC Heroes showing up) was not surprising since WB made the movie and WB owns DC.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    What version of The Lego Movie did you see?

None. I don't go to theaters, don't own a DVD or Blu-Ray player. I haven't seen TLM, Avengers, GotG, Frozen, Wreck-It Ralph or any of those other movies, and I can't really say I'm interested in tracking them down. I have enough free stuff between Youtube and the free episodes on startrek.com that I don't even bother with satellite TV.

It's also the first I've heard anyone mention this so it must've been a short cameo. I would've actually expected more of an appearance seeing as SW has been a Lego core brand for a long time. Still, no Marvel characters anywhere.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Wow. First Lego supplants Mattel as Number One Toymaker in the World and now Mattel loses Disney.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhanen View Post
    Here's the link with info:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/09/...5ea3d31d000004

This is a terrible big loss for Mattel. Hasbro has pretty much won on the boys' toys with Marvel, Star Wars, Transformers & G.I.Joe; but now they got a big brand for girls to add to Pony. Having Marvel & Star Wars brands and now adding Disney dolls I may assume that is just a matter of time until all Disney brands are under Hasbro

Mattel has done quite a job with Toy Story & Cars and Princess dolls, but they seem to be suffering from depowerment by just keeping Barbie, Monster High & Hot Wheels. Probably this could mean a new perspective for Mattel to look for other brands or consolidate more MOTU & DC.
    I hope so. Strengthen their in-house properties. Disney Princess, Frozen, Cars and Planes were BIG for Mattel.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Personally, I think Disney has their sights set on buying Hasbro sometime in the future- they bought out Marvel and Star Wars for starters, so a toy company seems the next likely step, and Hasbro would be a likely candidate. Or if not buying the company wholesale(which I'm sure would upset Michael Bay quite hard, it'd mean no more Dreamworks-produced Hasbro films) at least using them as a catch-all producer of their merchandise.

I say this because somehow I suspect Hasbro will get the Disney rights next, seeing as they already have the other major Disney franchises well established as core brands. They seem the most likely company. Regardless, I doubt Mattel had any chance of retaining this license, I suspect too many politics are at work here.

I have this sneaking suspicion that next Disney will try to get the Marvel and SW rights out of Lego's hands, and possibly over to Hasbro for Kre-O lines. Despite the fact the Lego lines sell well, Disney didn't seem to want to play ball at all with Lego for the movie- notice that neither SW nor Marvel show up anywhere while Batman is a main character and TMNT at least got cameos. I'd wager they're itching to get all their stuff under one banner, to not work strongly with competitors or companies that side with competitors, and Hasbro has the means since Kre-O would be the final step.

Of course, I could be 100% wrong on this, but it seems most likely to me that Disney will continue/strengthen their partnership with Hasbro in some manner, so it'd probably be more likely they'd get the Disney toy license over Jakks or Playmates. And if you did want to get your hooks into a company t purchase them out, having as many ties with them as possible would not hurt and I can see Disney wanting to acquire a toy company. I'm surprised in all their years they haven't done just that long ago.
    ^ This. Disney likely intends to purchase Hasbro and produce all of its toy properties under one banner. It does not really say anything about the performance of Mattel or any other licensee.

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    None. I don't go to theaters, don't own a DVD or Blu-Ray player. I haven't seen TLM, Avengers, GotG, Frozen, Wreck-It Ralph or any of those other movies, and I can't really say I'm interested in tracking them down. I have enough free stuff between Youtube and the free episodes on startrek.com that I don't even bother with satellite TV.

It's also the first I've heard anyone mention this so it must've been a short cameo. I would've actually expected more of an appearance seeing as SW has been a Lego core brand for a long time. Still, no Marvel characters anywhere.
    Fair enough in the sense that you don't have to go see the movie if you don't want to, but it seems silly to make as definitive of a statement as you did on the matter having not seen the movie, and basing your conclusion on simply not stumbling across a random comment about it.

At least do a google search or something before jumping to such a conclusion. Simply typing "The lego movie star wars cameo" would have found the info that you were looking for.

That aside, I agree that it wouldn't be surprising if Disney were to buy Hasbro or something like that.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

I remember people making the claim some months back that Disney was probably going to be buying up Hasbro. I would assume one big benefit of the whole deal would be no loss in licensing fees, so either better quality or lower cost on items.

And yeah, I don't think Mattel really fumbled with Frozen. I know before the movie came out people were mostly excited to see it because it was Disney but after watching it the excitement got more intense.

I was kind of hoping for a few more dolls with the Disney classics line they were making though.

Of course, Disney Fairies mass market line is made by Jakks Pacific so let's see what happens with that license.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

I believe Disney Store stuff is usually from smaller companies they contract for that stuff- it's only sold through their store, after all, so they can likely get around mass-market contracts. It also tends to mean higher quality pieces, at higher prices. Items like that gigantic and expensive Sgt. Galhoun doll would've never flown at normal .
    If you watch for sales they are better quality and cheaper. Right now they are $10 a piece if you buy 2 or more. I think Disney would be wise sticking with that for their dolls.

Makes sense since most of Disney's other properties are with Hasbro.

Hopefully Mattel can make up the huge loss they are going to take. Even though the distribution of their Disney products has been pretty bad, the products themselves are actually pretty good and probably the best stuff Mattel is putting out today. The Disney Princess stuff, the Cars line, even the Toy Story lines all were really good. It's Mattel's other lines which have been garbage for the last 10 years.

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Dang, I hadn't though about Cars/Planes. That's one thing I regularly collect, and Mattel does die cast pretty well. I wonder what Hasbro will do with that? From what I've seen of late, I don't think they do much better with case pack-outs, so I see no improvement in that area. Overall, it is a big loss for Mattel.

As for Hasbro, there have been rumors for a while about Disney wanting to buy them so they have their own, in house toy maker. Given that The Mouse has its own stuff and now Marvel and Star Wars, that would be a smart step in their quest to take over the world. If they do plan to try that, it would make a lot of sense to pull the license from Mattel so there are no big loose ends in the toy aisle. I wouldn't be suprised to hear an announcement like this in the next year or so; The Mouse is likely looking at a big influx of money when the new Star Wars films start cranking out, and buying a toy company sounds like a good use for some of that.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

The outskirts of Castlevania, on the hunt!
    Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    Dang, I hadn't though about Cars/Planes. That's one thing I regularly collect, and Mattel does die cast pretty well. I wonder what Hasbro will do with that? From what I've seen of late, I don't think they do much better with case pack-outs, so I see no improvement in that area. Overall, it is a big loss for Mattel.

As for Hasbro, there have been rumors for a while about Disney wanting to buy them so they have their own, in house toy maker. Given that The Mouse has its own stuff and now Marvel and Star Wars, that would be a smart step in their quest to take over the world. If they do plan to try that, it would make a lot of sense to pull the license from Mattel so there are no big loose ends in the toy aisle. I wouldn't be suprised to hear an announcement like this in the next year or so; The Mouse is likely looking at a big influx of money when the new Star Wars films start cranking out, and buying a toy company sounds like a good use for some of that.
    Exactly this.

It has all been carefully planned and worked out. It makes total sense to have all of your most popular properties under one banner. I always thought it was weird that Mattel produced both DC Figures and Disney toys... seeing as how the two properties are owned by separate, large, competing entertainment companies. Just like Warner acquired Midway Games (and renamed NetherRealm Studios) to produce games based on DC Properties, Disney will soon acquire Hasbro and continue to produce toys related to their most popular properties, i.e. Star Wars, Disney Movies, PiXAR, Marvel, etc..

As for the Lego debate, I feel that Lego holds a "get out of jail free" card when it comes to popular properties like Star Wars and The Lord of the Rings. They are granted limited use of certain properties to make Lego toys and nothing else, kind of like allowing Solo to make party cups with Marvel's Avengers or Smallville characters on them. This is why there is such a big variety of IP's used in the Lego universe, from Back to the Future all the way to TMNT and everything in between...
    **Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST have a New Adventures Subscription!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

We did just get / are getting Star Wars themed Hot wheels, Mattel owns both Hot Wheels and Matchbox the two big names in mini cars so they could keep making Cars and Planes jut specifically under one of those brands.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    ...they could keep making Cars and Planes jut specifically under one of those brands.
    From what I've heard, it seems this is true. The Cars license is separate from their other Disney licenses. It's probably the one Disney line, Mattel doesn't have to worry about loosing. If Disney is willing to let Mattel do Star Wars and Marvel cars, than why would they move the Cars license to Hasbro?

Wow, that has to sting.
    Ask not for whom MOTUC is made, it's made for thee.

If you have to disclaimer your like, then you don't really like it.