Thread: Is this a baby scorpion?

Is this a baby scorpion?

I spotted a tiny flake on my toy shelf, went to brush it away, and it moved. It wasn't any kind of small insect I'd seen prior and I managed to snap a macro shot of it. To me it looks like some kind of baby scorpion going by the tiny pincers, perhaps a whiptail variety since it lacks the usual tail, but there aren't any around this region, I don't believe(I have never seen one locally outside of pet stores). It was about 4mm diameter total. If it came from anywhere it may have been a stowaway inside a recent eBay purchase. Maybe someone here can tell me exactly what it is.

It scurried away while I was taking the photo off the SD card, possibly in the very slim space between the shelf and wall. I haven't seen it again. If I can find it I'd brush it into a cup and put it outside, but it's gone for now.

Master of New Adventures!
    I don't know what it is, but I ain't sleeping' over at your house tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by diosoth View Post
    http://i.imgur.com/pr9Fs6r.jpg

I spotted a tiny flake on my toy shelf, went to brush it away, and it moved. It wasn't any kind of small insect I'd seen prior and I managed to snap a macro shot of it. To me it looks like some kind of baby scorpion going by the tiny pincers, perhaps a whiptail variety since it lacks the usual tail, but there aren't any around this region, I don't believe(I have never seen one locally outside of pet stores). It was about 4mm diameter total. If it came from anywhere it may have been a stowaway inside a recent eBay purchase. Maybe someone here can tell me exactly what it is.

It scurried away while I was taking the photo off the SD card, possibly in the very slim space between the shelf and wall. I haven't seen it again. If I can find it I'd brush it into a cup and put it outside, but it's gone for now.

It's a psuedo scorpion or "book scorpion"
    Starchild's #1 fan!!

Master of New Adventures!
    Better call Casper Van Dien -- a/k/a Johnny Rico.

Quote Originally Posted by deltadod View Post
    It's a psuedo scorpion or "book scorpion"

Leader of the Autobots Optimus Prime's Avatar
    Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings, but freedom isn't free."
    http://www.myspace.com/tkd_trevor

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
    Says they prefer dusty environments- I'd just taken some picture frames out of the closet and hung them up above the Skeletor shelf, it was probably on one of them. Still the first time I'd ever seen one, even though it says they're common.