View Poll Results: Should Orko be in the movie?

Voters
113. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

72 63.72%
  • No

10 8.85%
  • Yes, but heavily re-worked

10 8.85%
  • Yes, but only in a very minor role

21 18.58%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should Orko be in the movie?

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar

Should Orko be in the movie?

Okay, so we've had plenty of threads giving personal rundowns of which characters we'd like to see included in a new movie, should it ever happen.

But I feel this little guy merits a special poll - Should Orko be in a new movie?

The character was created for comic relief in the vintage Filmation cartoon, and with him went a lot more of the childish elements of the Filmation version of MOTU lore.
    So does he have a place in a new movie? Will he make it too childish? Or should he be included but updated to make him less childish? Or would it be better without him at all?

I myself like Orko in the vintage version, but am unsure how well he'd work in a big screen adaptation.

Orko was famously replaced by Gwildor in the 1987 movie, when CGI was too basic and too expensive to bring him to life - does he deserve a place this time around?

Vote... discuss... debate
    Last edited by Spacedust; February 14, 2008 at 02:42pm. Reason: minor typo correction
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

I think orko should defiantly be in the flix. not putting him in the movie would be like not putting Man-At-Arms or Prince Adam in it. He was a very important character in the toon. Not to mention he was 1 of only 3 who knew who he man was.

I think he still should be a wise crack, but somehow in the film do something important to show he still can be grown up or make good decisions, so to speak.
    Warpigs Feedback Thread Selling/Buying/Trading
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=173127

\m/(^_^)\m/

The babe with The Power Slackbot's Avatar
    I say yes. One, people remember him fondly from the old show, as I am reminded every time I wear my Orko shirt. (You wouldn't believe how many people comment on it!) He'd bring viewers in, and even if a lot of them are kids, well, parents buy tickets, popcorn, and sodas for those kids, and more revenue for a He-Man movie is good thing, as I think we cam all agree.

Two, CGI is very cost-effective these days; he could easily be animated in and look like he belonged. No bloody Gwildor this time!

Three, written well, he can be a good character and an asset to the team. Nobody wants an irritating, childish little twerp (which is what we got too often in the MYP series), but he had his bright spots as well. Draw on those.
    Castle Numbskull
    Masters of The Universe stuff you won't find anywhere else.
    Thank goodness.

Quote Originally Posted by Slackbot View Post
    Two, CGI is very cost-effective these days; he could easily be animated in and look like he belonged. No bloody Gwildor this time!

Three, written well, he can be a good character and an asset to the team. Nobody wants an irritating, childish little twerp (which is what we got too often in the MYP series), but he had his bright spots as well. Draw on those.
    Well said!
    Heck I wouldn't mind if the whole film was a CGI. The fact that It's a live action film kinda scares me a little

\m/(^_^)\m/

I know that some people don't like him, but Orko is a very important character! He is one of the very few characters who know He-Man's secret! That makes him very powerful in a "political" sense. I mean, he has the knowledge that could destroy He-Man easily.

Also, comic relief characters are there for a reason. A liitle bit of fun can only improve the serious parts. The last think we want is a "serious" movie only hardcore fans would appreciate.

Quote Originally Posted by Slackbot View Post
    I say yes. One, people remember him fondly from the old show, as I am reminded every time I wear my Orko shirt. (You wouldn't believe how many people comment on it!) He'd bring viewers in, and even if a lot of them are kids, well, parents buy tickets, popcorn, and sodas for those kids, and more revenue for a He-Man movie is good thing, as I think we cam all agree.

exactly, he should be in it. written well Orko will easily become a fanf av character, the merchandising opportunities abound, there will be tons of orko shirts, plushies, key chains etc. keep the humour relevant, don't "jar jar-ize" him make him meaningful, make his presence make sense. I said it before in other threads, in filmation it was said (rarely used but they used it) that he is sensitive to magic and can sense any kind of spell, that makes him kind of a poison taster for the king. if anyone put a spell on themselves or an object, Orko could sniff it out. and that alone gives him valid reason to be on a mission/quest. (filmation being what it was at the time they didn't always use this ability of orko's) it doesn't take much to make orko fun, and fitting - but it's really easy to make him jarring and annoying. - hey I wonder if that's where Lucas came up with Jar Jar's name (jarring - doesn't fit, grating etc)
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Quote Originally Posted by ivan View Post
    I know that some people don't like him, but Orko is a very important character!

WHAT!!
    There are actually people out there that don't like Orko? They shouldn't be able to call themselves MOTU fans.
    Last edited by Warpigs; February 21, 2008 at 09:23am.

\m/(^_^)\m/

not a fan so I say no.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

Quote Originally Posted by Divia View Post
    not a fan so I say no.

I'm with Divia. No thanks.
    But that's me making the movie.

I understand that the director or story may want some comedy relief. Orko is really the only one that fits the bill for MotU in that category. So my vote actually went with Yes, but in a very minor role.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

YES!

Because he's ORKO, dangit!

If this were a New Adventures movie you could forego him (but then you'd have to get Jim Carrey to play Skeletor), but.... nah. leaving out Orko is like leaving out Scrappy Doo. Both underappreciated characters who filled a very strong niche and were actually useful outside of just comic relief. You can't forego Orko!

But the new movie makers are probably going to anyway, just like how they didn't even introduce the flippin' Transformers until halfway through the movie.

I'm Anime Hyper-Detailed Battle_Brak's Avatar
    YES!!!

Orko should definitely be played for comic relief, but not in a goofy "Jar Jar" fashion. I always liked that MAA was not amused by Orko's antics. Take it a step further and have MAA(and other masters) truly dislike Orko. Perhaps Orko isn't just some childish goofball, maybe he's really just incompetent. I'm not sure how to pull it off. There's just something about a character that gets on other characters' nerves that I find hilarious.
    Check out my various dinosaur sculptures: http://he-man.org/forums/boards/show...re-in-progress

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    You got to have Orko, poor thing missed the first movie, surely its his turn this time round

I'd say keep his role to a minimum - slight comic relief and some purpose to the story. And please no annoying voice or bumbling i.e. Snarf and Jar Jar Binks!

Quote Originally Posted by 8-Bit Star View Post
    If this were a New Adventures movie you could forego him (but then you'd have to get Jim Carrey to play Skeletor), but....

OMG! I would love this!!! A New Adventures movie with Jim Carrey playing Skeletor! That would be great! I want that right after the MOTU trilogy they are making now! (And they better be making a trilogy!)

Quote Originally Posted by warpigs View Post
    WHAT!!
    There are actually people out there that don't like Orko? They shouldn't be able to call themselves MOTU fans.

I retract what I previously stated about how I can't believe that people don't like orko. When the MYP show aired I never got to catch the show, it was on at a bad time and I always missed it. I'm actully just now getting to see it because of the DVD. Which is great buy the way. The Filmation Orko I really like, but I don't care much for the MYP Orko. I like the updated look, but that's about it. Though I still think he needs to be in the Film, but not in the MYP version.

\m/(^_^)\m/

Quote Originally Posted by warpigs View Post
    I retract what I previously stated about how I can't believe that people don't like orko. When the MYP show aired I never got to catch the show, it was on at a bad time and I always missed it. I'm actully just now getting to see it because of the DVD. Which is great buy the way. The Filmation Orko I really like, but I don't care much for the MYP Orko. I like the updated look, but that's about it. Though I still think he needs to be in the Film, but not in the MYP version.
    Orko SHOULD be in the new film, but he should be done genuinely. Give him a good sense of humour, good nature type guy who uses humour to mask his insecurities. make him relevent (in the ways I mentioned) and he can suffer from performance anxiety. there was a filmation episode that was showing that Orko's magic works backwards on Eternia, so when he bumbles it should be because he is still disoriented by how magic works on Eternia as well. he shouldn't be an outright bumbler but when he screws up it should be how he grows and learns and earns his place on Eternia. he should NOT be the insecure "did I do that" steve urkel that he generally was in the MYP toon.

I think he should always suffer performance anxiety though, not meaning he would always screw up, but when he's trying a new trick for display it should take a lot of effort (but in a pinch when his back is to the wall you can count on him - even if he has to improvise to make things work out.) it can make for a really good and fun experience. you can't write orko or he-man lazily. that's a key!
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Well said Krosfyan, I totally agree.

\m/(^_^)\m/

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    Hell's yes Orko should be in the new movie!!!

I agree completely with what krosfyah said. Nicely put.

Quote Originally Posted by pennypunk View Post
    Hell's yes Orko should be in the new movie!!!

I agree completely with what krosfyah said. Nicely put.
    Ditto. Agree with Krosfyah 1000000%
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Co-Creator of the NV
    I think that Orko should be a killer cyborg.

Online Ravenous Killer Organism FTW!!!

Krosfyah said it best. It is the best way Orko would work in the new movie.
    Mattel I'm still waiting for these characters!

Spinwit, The Scientists, Darius,Crita, Kayo, Stridor, Kittrina, Melaktha, Drissi, Master Sebrian, Sagitar

NA DESERVES A MINI SUB!

My Facebook, check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Latveria View Post
    I think that Orko should be a killer cyborg.

Online Ravenous Killer Organism FTW!!!

I think Orko should be KILLED by a cyborg
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

Co-Creator of the NV
    Quote Originally Posted by Divia View Post
    I think Orko should be KILLED by a cyborg
    I'd be down for some Trapjaw eating Orko action

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 8-Bit Star View Post
    leaving out Orko is like leaving out Scrappy Doo. Both underappreciated characters who filled a very strong niche and were actually useful outside of just comic relief. You can't forego Orko!
    Scrappy Doo??? Please, tell me you're joking!!
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

CURSE YOU GIN MONKEY the_ultimate_evil's Avatar
    people have to really get over and come to accept that orko will be in the movie and will act as the kiddy comic relief. as much as we would love a dark and dramatic film there has to be some elements accessible to kids. unless he starts doing jar jar stuff then thats sounds like something outta horror movie
    And so I walk, into the searing light which banishes all darkness, surrendering my face and form to atoms of dust, seeking the true darkness of peace,the cool shadows of eternity and the unknown fate of nothingness
    Click to see my portfolio here
    my art blog with my latest pieces here
    my deviant art galleryhere
    all comments, criticisms and questions are welcome in my guestbook

Well, I dont have to accept anything, because do we even know yet which characters are going to be in the movie? There is a very good chance that they will scrap him.

If that isnt the case then fine, but until otherwise we just dont know. And even if he is in the movie, that doesnt mean I have to like it. I find his character annoying and graiting like nails on a chalkboard.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.