View Poll Results: Should Orko be in the movie?

Voters
113. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

72 63.72%
  • No

10 8.85%
  • Yes, but heavily re-worked

10 8.85%
  • Yes, but only in a very minor role

21 18.58%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Should Orko be in the movie?

CURSE YOU GIN MONKEY the_ultimate_evil's Avatar
    ok maybe i worded that badly. but i do think we can agree that orko is part of what you would call the main four (he-man teela MAA orko). i mean hell the only reason he wasn't in the first film was to do with budget and the lack of fx techniques

i'm not too fond of the little elf myself but i do see him as a character that can be worked on, and it would be strange to have a MOTU without him
    And so I walk, into the searing light which banishes all darkness, surrendering my face and form to atoms of dust, seeking the true darkness of peace,the cool shadows of eternity and the unknown fate of nothingness
    Click to see my portfolio here
    my art blog with my latest pieces here
    my deviant art galleryhere
    all comments, criticisms and questions are welcome in my guestbook

In the first toon he was just annoying. I didnt view him as part of the main cast of characters, but I guess he was.

Thank god MYP watered him down and we didnt see him every 3 seconds.

I would be fine if he wasnt in the movie and I wouldnt think it anyless of a MOTu movie for it.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

absolutely not

*batteries not included Captain Atkin's Avatar
    I think the movie needs ORKO. He will be loved by kids, for sure, in the same way that Yoda and R2D2 are. As long as he isn't a "Jar Jar Binks" clone, we should be ok.
    "Live the journey, for every destination is but a doorway to another." --- Man-At-Arms

www.hemanworld.com

Heroic Warrior
    Yes Orko should be in the movie since he got the shaft in the first movie by this guy:

Along with some other characters that should not have been in the movie.

So I say yes Orko should definitely be in the movie as well as Battlecat, Stratos, Trap Jaw, Tri Klops, and Mer Man.

Quote Originally Posted by warpigs View Post
    Well said!
    Heck I wouldn't mind if the whole film was a CGI. The fact that It's a live action film kinda scares me a little
    Whoa! Be careful what you wish for, we could end up with a hunk of crap like Beowulf, where they make the CGI so lifelike and you know they shot all the actors for reference so you just wonder "Why the Hell did they bother making them all CGI anyway?"

Quote Originally Posted by 8-Bit Star View Post
    YES!

Because he's ORKO, dangit!

If this were a New Adventures movie you could forego him (but then you'd have to get Jim Carrey to play Skeletor), but.... nah. leaving out Orko is like leaving out Scrappy Doo. Both underappreciated characters who filled a very strong niche and were actually useful outside of just comic relief...
    Oh my God. I totally agree with you defending ORKO, but comparing him the utterly irrelevant, Jar-Jar of his time, Scrappy Doo!?!?!? That is where I draw the line. I hated that piece of trash more than Snarf for destroying an otherwise great show.

But I must say, krosfyah said it all very well, and I totally think that ORKO could and should be in the new movie, and, like everyone else, just needs to be written well.
    "I damned the world to save my daughter once... and I will do it for her again."
    I do custom action figures, commissioned art, and I will make any Masters of the Universe costume, tailored to you!
    View my website! http://www.havocstaff.50megs.com

Heroic Warrior

Put Him IN!!!

ABSOLUTELY. Orko, if written well, just like any other character would be a great addition to the film. Sure the film could do without him, but Orko not only represents the fun and humor of the MOTU universe, but the multi-species and fantasy ideas as well. Orko is a terrific character and I'm tired of comedic relief characters getting the shaft just because they're funny. I've always felt He-Man was a lot more light hearted than, say, a Conan, or an Aragorn, or any of those rough kind of guys. He-Man is someone children can look up to, unlike the savage Conan. He-Man needs Orko because he's a great foil. Orko gets into trouble and tries to learn from He-Man and the Master's exmaple. The only way to do Orko is to keep his light heartedness while at the same time, giving him more to do. I admit, movies and tv are very different animals. Movies don't have nearly as much time for comic relief, etc, they have to tell a story and not waste time. I suggest making Orko a little more competent with his magical skills, making him a useful aide to the masters team while still having him mess up and get into trouble every now and then. In this way, making Orko useful could move him with the current of the story and not against it

Just wanted to give this thread a little bump...

Because after watching more MYP episodes, and then thinking about the new He-Man film, ALL I can think about is HOW MUCH I LOVE HIS CHARACTER AND HOW COOL HE IS GONNA LOOK, w/ realistic yet cgi eyes/face shrouded in shadow!

So all I can say is...

ORKO BETTER BE IN THE NEW MOVIE!!!!

– No comment.

Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    Orko SHOULD be in the new film, but he should be done genuinely. Give him a good sense of humour, good nature type guy who uses humour to mask his insecurities. make him relevent (in the ways I mentioned) and he can suffer from performance anxiety. there was a filmation episode that was showing that Orko's magic works backwards on Eternia, so when he bumbles it should be because he is still disoriented by how magic works on Eternia as well. he shouldn't be an outright bumbler but when he screws up it should be how he grows and learns and earns his place on Eternia. he should NOT be the insecure "did I do that" steve urkel that he generally was in the MYP toon.

I think he should always suffer performance anxiety though, not meaning he would always screw up, but when he's trying a new trick for display it should take a lot of effort (but in a pinch when his back is to the wall you can count on him - even if he has to improvise to make things work out.) it can make for a really good and fun experience. you can't write orko or he-man lazily. that's a key!
    Yup. Genuine Orko = Good. There were flashes of it in the original Filmation toon and I think the idea should be run with in the movie. Good call, Krosfyah.
    Signed by-- ME!

---
    Did I ever grow up? Probably not. I'm sure the day-glo socks gave it away anyway.

Heroic Master Of Bad Luck
    ABSOLUTELY ABSOLUTELY ABSOLUTELY
    yes! a Master's movie without Orko is like a pizza without cheese!

Court Magician Raider of Shadows's Avatar
    He strikes me as a character important enough to be in the film, but not the type that really should be given a great deal of vital screen time. Unless the movie is specifically targeted for younger kids.
    -Finding Nemo Auditions-
    Hordak of Despondos reading for the part of Dori the Fish, Take 1:

*AHEM* I shall call him squishy and he...will be MINE!

Co-Creator of the NV
    I have a question for everyone who is pro-orko.

In the rumored script, there is mention of a wizard that is not orko who works on the side of good. I could be wrong, but from what I am hearing I don't think he is comic relief (if I am wrong I am sure one of the peope who has read the script will correct me). A lot of people are displeased that there is a wizard and it is not orko. So, my question is, assuming this is a "no-nonsense" serious wizard, would you want orko to play the role (given that it would mean his character is totally changed since he's no longer an accident prone putz)?

For twenty years, Orko has been ignored.

It's time he's given his due (Along with a talking Cringer/Battle Cat)

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Latveria View Post
    In the rumored script, there is mention of a wizard that is not orko who works on the side of good. I could be wrong, but from what I am hearing I don't think he is comic relief (if I am wrong I am sure one of the peope who has read the script will correct me). A lot of people are displeased that there is a wizard and it is not orko. So, my question is, assuming this is a "no-nonsense" serious wizard, would you want orko to play the role (given that it would mean his character is totally changed since he's no longer an accident prone putz)?

I want Orko to play the role that he's always been -- "accident-prone" comic relief (Not necessarily a putz, mind you.)

As it stands, this film is dark, ponderous, and unwatchable. It DESPERATELY needs a sense of humor (Dare I say "camp"? It worked wonders with POTC.)

We tried "dark" with MYP -- and absolutely no one watched. What makes you think things are going to be better the second time around?
    Last edited by Mirage; August 18, 2008 at 12:45pm.

Yes Orko should be in the movie! However, I wouldn't be opposed to him being "beefed up" in the powers department and NOT just have him as comic relief!

Co-Creator of the NV
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post

I want Orko to play the role that he's always been -- "accident-prone" comic relief (Not necessarily a putz, mind you.)

As it stands, this film is dark, ponderous, and unwatchable. It DESPERATELY needs a sense of humor (Dare I say "camp"? It worked wonders with POTC.)

We tried "dark" with MYP -- and absolutely no one watched. What makes you think things are going to be better the second time around?
    MYP wasn't cancelled due to lack of ratings. It was cancelled because mattel drove the line into the ground and without a line to support, mattel didn't see a reason to continue the show. The fact that the show seemed to change air times every 2 weeks didn't help either.

In any case, that isn't what i was asking. I was asking very specifically if peopel would prefer Orko to be in the movie in the role of that Lennox character (or whatever his name is). Obviously it is a hypothetical based on that script being used, which is unlikely as the script is sure to go through a few rewrites. But it doesn't change a number of people whining about Orko not being in it when this other guy is, which implies that some people would rather have a serious, hardcore wizard orko than no orko at all. From what I have heard, I am assuming they had a role for a serious wizard (like I said, i don't think he's meant to be comic relief) and what i want is a simple "yes or no" on if they would like orko to have that role (which'd mean drastic changes to the character), not whether the movie should have comic relief.

Heroic Warrior

Well, there's Dekker and Lennox. Lennox isn't a no-nonsense serious wizard. He's an apprentice that only does one thing in the movie really besides acting insecure.

And yes Orko should be in it. Just figure out how to make Orko work. Orko can be a good character. Seriously, how can you do MOTU with all this other stuff but not Orko?
    "This is true. This is real. This . . . is . . . STRAIGHT EDGE."

-CM Punk

my answer is no. I don't want him to be "made" to fit in the film. if they can't have Orko the way he is supposed to be then leave him out
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
    And yes Orko should be in it. Just figure out how to make Orko work. Orko can be a good character. Seriously, how can you do MOTU with all this other stuff but not Orko?
    I agree. I mean Orko has got to be in the top 5 of what non-fans of our generation will remember when asked about He-Man/MOTU.
    I know this from my experience anyway.
    – No comment.

Skeletors evil colorist Predabot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    MYP was nowhere near as dark as the script for the movie appears to be.

It had comic relief and no blood at all, He-man didn't use his sword to kill. Heck, the show even had Orko in it!

Sounds to me as if the movie is a slight bit even more darker in comparison to MYP, as MYP is to Filmation.

I think an important question is, if there wont be Orko in the movie as comic relief, then WHO else? Ram-Man?? Ram Man can admittedly go either serious or comic-relief, or some mix thereof, since he has a rather shifting portrayal in the various forms of MotU that there is.
    Last edited by Predabot; September 15, 2008 at 06:55pm.

The Cerebral Assassin hhhelmsley's Avatar
    Orko in the movie, Yes.

I'm indifferent here. Certainly wouldn't say no if the story has him appropriately placed, but if not, I wouldn't spend the movie looking for him.

I certainly didn't miss him in the last movie adaptation, even when I was 11!

It wouldn't be He-man without Orko if he wasn't in the movie.
    By the Power of Grey Skull!

I want him in there, but when given comedy it should be natural and not forced, he shouldn't be annoying, his voice should not be as Urkel-ized as the MYP toon and he should serve a purpose in the universe.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Co-Creator of the NV
    Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    I want him in there, but when given comedy it should be natural and not forced, he shouldn't be annoying, his voice should not be as Urkel-ized as the MYP toon and he should serve a purpose in the universe.
    Exactly. Couldn't agree more.

Evil Horde Poison Master! Mr_Yuck's Avatar
    My vote is if he is to be in the movie, make it a very, very limited role. Almost as a nod to longtime fans, but not a role that's critical to the story.

To be honest, I don't see any way that the character can be retooled to be taken more seriously and not change the basis for the character entirely. I understand the need for comic relief, but all to often in movies characters brought in are taken to far and bring a level of camp that takes away from the film IMO.