Thread: She-Ra - General Sundar Tribute (Three Doors Down - YouTube AMV)

She-Ra - General Sundar Tribute (Three Doors Down - YouTube AMV)

After recieving some good constructive criticism from DisneyBoy for my last AMV, I decided to do a She-Ra AMV focusing on a secondary character. In this case, General Sundar - as the song "Citizen Soldier" by Three Doors Down seems to fit the good General well, I felt.

As the image kind of shows, though, She-Ra (and He-Man) are featured a lot in the video too. Most of the video used is from "Return of the General", one of my favourite POP episodes.

Please tell me what you think!
    "I'm not just crying for Hordak. I'm crying for the saddest thing I know - a wasted life. To be given that most precious gift - the gift of living, to do with as we choose. I'm crying, because this man has chosen to throw it away, and when he goes, nobody will care..." - She-Ra ( "My Friend, My Enemy")

First one...yet again!

Wow! I'm really impressed that you took my resoundingly (and perhaps unduly) negative feedback and took it as a challenge!

So first up - great idea! Sunder is a really great character who is always overlooked even by fans, and it's great to see a video centered around his story. If it were me, I might have used clips from both his two episodes...but that's just me.

You used a song with understandable lyrics and a clear message and build your video around it, which completely works. I really liked the line about "the strongest among you doesn't wear a crown", because the band probably meant it as a reference to oppressive royalty, but it takes on a new meaning following the scenes of Sunder suiting up next to She-Ra.

The song did have a sort of urban reality quality to it, though, so it was a bit jarring seeing the colorful Filmation super-heroes being juxtaposed to it.

If I could suggest anything, it would be not to always try to match-up the images according to the lyrics in the sense that He-Man and She-Ra would pop up on the "brothers and sisters" part. The first and second times they popped up, I felt it you'd cut a previous clip short, and doing that messes a bit with your pacing.

And yet, I liked the speed of the brother and sister clips all three times they popped up, but it felt like you'd spliced them in over a previous cut of your video, if you know what I mean. The flow between that constant and the other shots needed a bit of work.

All this to say, I really, really enjoy She-Ra themed music videos and especially new episodes made by fans using existing animation. That's really clever and fun. I can't wait to see your others. Please keep doing them, and I'll be sure to offer my thoughts. When you've made a perfect video, I'll be sure to tell you I really want you too!

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy View Post
    First one...yet again!
    Thanks for that! Thorough reviews are always greatly appreciated, even if they are mostly critical. Critical reviews are often the best, actually, since they lead to improvements (hopefully).

Wow! I'm really impressed that you took my resoundingly (and perhaps unduly) negative feedback and took it as a challenge!
    Thanks! Don't worry about the earlier critical feedback - I had gotten into doing a lot of AMVs focusing on either He-Man, She-Ra, Hordak, or Skeletor - and that was starting to cause a lack of novelty in my AMVs, in fairness (as well as leaving some good secondary characters - like General Sundar) overly ignored. Getting beyond Secret of the Sword is probably important at this point in my He-Man/She-Ra AMV making.

So first up - great idea! Sunder is a really great character who is always overlooked even by fans, and it's great to see a video centered around his story. If it were me, I might have used clips from both his two episodes...but that's just me.
    I almost used both episodes. It was mainly due to me wanting to squeeze in some of the few really good Glimmer scenes that I simply ran out of room for the first POP episode with Sundar in it.

You used a song with understandable lyrics and a clear message and build your video around it, which completely works.
    A good contrast to the more complex/poetic lyrics of Within Temptation, I'd say, yeah.

I really liked the line about "the strongest among you doesn't wear a crown", because the band probably meant it as a reference to oppressive royalty, but it takes on a new meaning following the scenes of Sunder suiting up next to She-Ra.
    It's really cool that you noticed that! Yeah, I timed that so that the line would fit Sundar's personal situation a bit better (as She-Ra wears a crown, and Adora is an actual Princess).

The song did have a sort of urban reality quality to it, though, so it was a bit jarring seeing the colorful Filmation super-heroes being juxtaposed to it.
    Agreed. That was perhaps the main weakness of the AMV. I purposely went with slightly duller-than-normal Filmation video footage to try to downplay that colorful feel, actually. Try to make the Filmation a bit "grittier" so it could hold up to the music a bit better. I think it largely worked since I also didn't have many of the more imaginative/cartoony Filmation characters in it (Mantenna, Leech, Flutterina, etc...).

If I could suggest anything, it would be not to always try to match-up the images according to the lyrics in the sense that He-Man and She-Ra would pop up on the "brothers and sisters" part. The first and second times they popped up, I felt it you'd cut a previous clip short, and doing that messes a bit with your pacing.
    The first time I went with He-Man then She-Ra I did cut a previous clip a bit short - very perceptive of you to pick up on that.

And yet, I liked the speed of the brother and sister clips all three times they popped up, but it felt like you'd spliced them in over a previous cut of your video, if you know what I mean. The flow between that constant and the other shots needed a bit of work.
    Thanks for the suggestion. Maybe I'll try the fading affect more in the future to try to make the flow a bit smoother.

All this to say, I really, really enjoy She-Ra themed music videos and especially new episodes made by fans using existing animation. That's really clever and fun. I can't wait to see your others. Please keep doing them, and I'll be sure to offer my thoughts. When you've made a perfect video, I'll be sure to tell you I really want you too!
    Thanks a lot, Disneyboy! My She-Ra AMVs were getting a tad formulaic before your critique of my latest She-Ra/Within Temptation AMV, so I'm glad for that critique.

I also like how you like longer clips in AMVs - that's refreshing to hear, especially since I tend to perfer longer clips myself.

Talk to you later.
    "I'm not just crying for Hordak. I'm crying for the saddest thing I know - a wasted life. To be given that most precious gift - the gift of living, to do with as we choose. I'm crying, because this man has chosen to throw it away, and when he goes, nobody will care..." - She-Ra ( "My Friend, My Enemy")

A good contrast to the more complex/poetic lyrics of Within Temptation, I'd say, yeah.

Well, the simple truth is, complex or no, I tuned them out. At least here, I felt like the lyrics were speaking to me.

It's really cool that you noticed that! Yeah, I timed that so that the line would fit Sundar's personal situation a bit better (as She-Ra wears a crown, and Adora is an actual Princess).

And what made that moment especially nice was that you didn't include She-Ra in the shot at the moment the line about the crown was heard. As I was watching I was gambling in my head "Will he go for the easy association?" And I'm glad you didn't. The audience keeps in their head what you show them, so it's important, I think, to focus more on telling a story than just flashing images with instant associations.

I mean, they say that any well-filmed sequence from any show or film will seem to work with a good song when the two are paired up. So maybe, as an exercise, you might want to edit together a video without listening to your chosen song all the way through, just to focus purely on the pacing of the video. Keep the general idea of the song and it's flow in your head, but don't worry about exact cues. Then play it back and see what naturally matches up.

My favorite She-Ra/He-Man fan vid was posted here like two years ago I think, and featured a very "Within Temptation"-type song called "Our Farewell", set to scenes from the New He-Man episode with King Greyskull in it. I fell in love with the song, and the animation just worked really well with it, because it seemed not to worry too much about cues, except for the climax and the end. Great video, wish I knew were it went too.

You didn't make that one, did you? Knowing my luck, you probably did, LOL. I'm so clueless...