View Poll Results: Does eating before bed give you nightmares?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

1 4.35%
  • No.

19 82.61%
  • I'm really not sure... I'll try it tonight.

3 13.04%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does eating before bed give you Nightmares?

Does eating before bed give you Nightmares?

The title says it all folks. My mother used to tell me that eating before bed would give me nightmares. I never paid much attention to that, it seemed more like an old wives tale.

Over the past years I've tried to reduce my late night snacking, for the health/weight loss benefits. A couple months ago a friend of mine called me up, convinced that eating before bed was giving her nightmares. I gave it some thought and came to realize it was the same thing with me. Normally I have a lot of power in my dreams. Even if they're creepy, or unusual, I can usually bail out or change the bad to good. Any dream I've had on a full stomach has turned into a full blown uncontrollable nightmare, like the one I had last night.

I had been reading an article in a fitness magazine on binge eaters. The story spoke of a woman who would take leftovers (such as chicken, salad and cake) and boil it into a stew, forcing herself to drink the mixture, hoping it would turn her off food. It did not work. Some binge eaters even eat food right out of the trash. So last night, I ate a big bowl of delicious rice pudding before going to bed.

The nightmare was horrible. I dreamt I was binging on food I found laying on the floor in a dingy basement. It tasted lovely, but there were flies everywhere. I didn't even know why I was doing it, I just was. Sure enough within a few minutes I felt tingling in my skin
    All over my bodies these little fly larvae started crawling out. I ran to the bathroom, hoping to get the food I had eaten out of me as little pale larvae came poking out of my pores. Then I started feeling movements through my muscles, and these giant saw tooted 'super worms' started boring out of me. They looked like giant centipedes and as I grapsed them to yank them out, they nipped at me. I even told myself in the dream that this can't be real, but it wasn't enough to snap me out of it, which is usually all it takes for me to control a dream.

It was a certified nightmare, brought on by eating before bed.

Somogyi or Nocturnal Hypoglycemia does cause nightmares. This is a rebounding effect where at ~3am your blood glucose drops below 70mg/dL and your body over compensates for it and you wake to a high blood glucose level. (120+mg/dL)

So yeah, eating a big bowl of carbohydrates will do that to you.
    Trust me, trust me, be a'right,
    Drink a little poison 'for you die,
    Sign' blood or fool night,
    Drink a little poison 'for you die.

No, I always eat bread with kaya before I sleep, so No is the answer = )
    Our ancestor are praying for the wealthy of his generation, Many has come and we will wait for more.
    "I know what it's like to lose someone you love" - Through Her Eyes Dream Theater.

Death is inevitable, death will keep his promise to greet you in the after life.
    And god will keep his promise to judge you right or wrong. Then your soul will be there forever after.

Co-Creator of the NV
    It doesn't seem to affect me. I have nightmares most nights, regardless of when i last ate.

The babe with The Power Slackbot's Avatar
    Eatig before I sleep doesn't cause nightmares, but if my digestive system is busy it can mess up my sleep. I generally have a light snack a couple of hours before bed, like a bowl of stove-popped popcorn.
    Castle Numbskull
    Masters of The Universe stuff you won't find anywhere else.
    Thank goodness.

"Oh dearie my!" Mer-Man's Minion's Avatar
    Nope, I'm used to eating before bed. I eat supper generally 3-4 hours before bedtime, and I always have something desserty/sweety/chocolatey shortly before I retire to my bedchamber. I just feel like I "have to" or else I'll wake up with my stomach growling. It's probably psychological, but I just feel the need to eat something chocolatey before bed (last night it was binging on a bowl of homemade chocolate chip cookie dough---probably not that good to eat that much sugary stuff before bed, but like I said, I just feel like I have to eat something sweet before bed).
    Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

All around awesome guy sirdanimal's Avatar
    Nope. If I eat something sweet before bed, then I get nightmares.
    "You're killing me, Smalls!"
    "I'm on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen!"

He-Man.org Forum Admin TheShadow's Avatar
    I rarely dream, let alone experience a nightmare. I haven't found that food before bed has affected me one way or the other.

Just released 10/6/2013: EPISODE 55 of Masters Cast!
    The He-Man & She-Ra Podcast at www.masterscast.com

Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    I rarely dream, let alone experience a nightmare.
    Everyone dreams, you must just not remember yours.
    Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

Master of Power Suction Killian's Avatar
    I rarely remember my dreams,

Had an awesome MOTU one a couple mnights ago though
    He who dies with the most MOTUC wins!

I'm not really sure but if it does I will certainly eat just before bed a lot more often. The only dreams I really remember are my nightmares, which is lucky as they are the ones I enjoy the most
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Southern-Fried Preacher Dave-Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Latveria View Post
    It doesn't seem to affect me. I have nightmares most nights, regardless of when i last ate.
    Are you maybe a reactive hypoglycemic? I am, but the funny thing is I rarely have nightmares. Or maybe I have them and just don't remember what I dream. I dunno.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"Don't let worry kill you, let the Church help"

Doesn't give me nightmares. I get home from work usually around 4:00 A.M. I will eat something and watch tv for 30 minutes or so and then i go to bed.

Okay well for the last couple of days i have been eating before I go to sleep and what do you know... I seem to be having a lot of nightmares. So I guess that answers that question

But then I seemed to be having a lot of nightmares before I started this little experiment...so...erm...ok so I guess I just invalidated that experiment
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

I can't say that I have been affected by this. I eat about four hours prior to going to bed.
    Formerly known as wrestling fanatic

never heard of this.

i always eat before bed and never have bad dreams..

dreams might happen if i watch some freaky film.. rarely, but it has happen
    Don't hate me cause ... (I'm Da Man)!

Carlo Hooks you up thread, just click HERE!

I work rotating shifts so I pretty much eat before I go to sleep all the time.I never noticed any side effects in my sleep.
    Mike Jr. 1983-2008 the void left will never be filled. Rest in Peace Brother.
    Sgt Weigand

eBay Feedback

" Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elswhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
    --Calvin and Hobbes

Quote Originally Posted by motu77 View Post
    I work rotating shifts
    Yikes...you have my respect, my friend.

I rarely remember my dreams and I can't remember the last time I had a Nightmare. However I do know that eating before bedtime makes you gain more weight because your metabolism really slows down. The only thing that I've found is that when I eat really close to bedtime, I wake up the next day starving when I'm usually not that hungry in the morning. Can anyone explain that one?
    Warpigs Feedback Thread Selling/Buying/Trading
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=173127

\m/(^_^)\m/

The babe with The Power Slackbot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by warpigs View Post
    The only thing that I've found is that when I eat really close to bedtime, I wake up the next day starving when I'm usually not that hungry in the morning. Can anyone explain that one?
    The same thing happens to me! I didn't know if anyone else is like that. My only explanation is a vague "Well, your digestive system doesn't get a rest when it's digesting in your sleep, so it's still on when you get back up."
    Castle Numbskull
    Masters of The Universe stuff you won't find anywhere else.
    Thank goodness.

However I do know that eating before bedtime makes you gain more weight because your metabolism really slows down.
    Unless you work out a few hours before bedtime, in which your metabolism should still be way up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mer-Man's Minion View Post
    Unless you work out a few hours before bedtime, in which your metabolism should still be way up.
    I use to run at night, but I always ran into the problem of being to wound up to go to bed. So I ended up stay up later until my body calmed down.
    Warpigs Feedback Thread Selling/Buying/Trading
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=173127

\m/(^_^)\m/

I use to run at night, but I always ran into the problem of being to wound up to go to bed. So I ended up stay up later until my body calmed down.
    Yeah, I can't work out before work, or else I'll nod off at my desk. I tried that before and it wasn't fun. So I stay late and then go at 5 am when they open, come home, have supper and watch TV, clean up, etc., bed down about 9 or 9:30 or so.

I admit this week I've been wound up some even then, but then again I haven't worked out in like 18 months. So right now my body is just like "Whoa! Dude! He's bein' active!" so it's a surprise to it, lol.

Evil Master of Warcraft
    I don't know about food...but too much alcohol before I go to sleep sometimes causes zombie attacks, the alien from predator chasing me, and/or a hot girl I never can hook up with.
    Giving away three free months of World of Warcraft + copy of game. PM me for details.

Diablo III Battletag = Hordack#1465 WoW - Ghostlands Sever XBL Gamertag = Hordack1980

Quote Originally Posted by GeologyMule View Post
    I don't know about food...but too much alcohol before I go to sleep sometimes causes zombie attacks, the alien from predator chasing me, and/or a hot girl I never can hook up with.
    I often dream about zombies. Never vampires, werewolves, witches, dragons, mermaids or any of the other hundreds of fantasy creatures I love... just mindless hordes of zombies... Maybe its a subconscious revelation of my feelings towards society...

Oh? The Yautja? I love those things! I sometimes dream about them too, but they're probably the opposite of anything you'd dream about.

Hot girls you can't get? Heh, for me its the other sex, but yeah, sometimes they go horribly wrong for me too. Without or without milk and cookies before bed.