Thread: Fellow Artists! Is there any point in me completing these..?

Skeletors evil colorist Predabot's Avatar

Fellow Artists! Is there any point in me completing these..?

Yes, I'm having serious doubts. Because I'm sick and tired of working in low-rez, especially in cases like these, were there are lots of fine details that are completely and utterly lost.

It's ok when it's just one character, and a close-up, but such is not the case here.

Take the He-man/She-Ra one, I can't even see their eyes properly, let alone put any kind of rendering in them. And in the Sorceress one.. oh the Sorceress.. It's impossible to make out all of the details in the different stages of her transformation, and the energy-lines is hopelessly obscured.

I don't know lads. My computer can currently not support high-resolution colouring, but I can't go on colouring stuff at this level either.

What do you say? What is the solution? I'm not sure who the people that bought these are either, so I can't really ask for bigger scans.

Still... it's hard to let go of your old yet unfinished stuff.

well, in my opinion, coloring is not always about fine details. so even if you can't turn these into super-finished pieces because of their low resolution, they can still make for good practice pieces to get across the lighting and general color palette.
    Visit my sketchblog at its new URL: JASONBOT.com!

And I, for one, would really like to see that He-Man & She-Ra piece taken as far as you can.

Movie mayhem!
    Yea and I want to see the other one taken as far as it can, so I guess you've got to finish them both, sorry

by the way,

Hmm... maybe, maybe. The He-man She-Ra one might be cool stuff, but I dunno' about the Sorceress one.

Do you guys think it's possible to get ahold of the owners of the art? I don't need high-rez such as 300 or 600 dpi ( like I said, my computer can't take it anyway) but something like 150 dpi, or atleast something like 10-15% bigger than this, that would definitely satisfy me.

I'll probably redo that he-man she-ra one from the start tho, because that effect that was supposed to signify the power of Greyskull coming out of the abyss, well it would simply obstructs too much of Emiliano's great rendering of the wines there.

Heroic Warrior
    Predabot, I don't know what advice to give short of upgrading the ram on your CPU. Like others said, your low-res work is still good for practice.

On another note, that Sorceress is awesome. I might have to steal that design.

Predabot:

yeah, if you want higher res, you'll need to ask the owner of the art.
    And they may or may not want to. Commissions are usually intimate pieces of art, and the owners rarely want the world to have access to high res copies of their art.
    But you can always ask.

Yeah, it's been talked about on these boards before, but in this case I can't actually ask... because I have no idea who they are.

Hopefully they might step forth upon seeing this thread.

Heey, while we're on the subject of these, and we've got good ol' Val in here...

There something I've been wondering for some time about this, piece. Bob Layton ( big-star comic-artist in the 80's) has said that almost universally, the shadow under the nose of a character is an excellent sun-dial for finding out the direction of the light-source, but in this piece... there's something strange going on...

He-man and She-Ra's noses have different directions from where the light is coming from?? This confuses me. I'm thinking it's at night, so logically, the only light-source is the full-moon, but alas, that throws that theory away. Hmm... maybe it wasn't so good to begin with, since Eternia has TWO moons.

What do you say, Val? What would you do in a case like this, stick to one light-source anyway, or use two?

Movie mayhem!
    Eternia has more than one moon right? So multiple light sources ;-)

Two equally-strong light sources, used in the way you're describing in your diagram, can flatten out your image and make it quite... blah. I'd recommend utilizing at least a variant of this traditional (and tried-and-true) lighting method:

Three Point Lighting

The great thing about Emil's linework is that it allows for increased flexibility when determining the lighting... In the case of this piece, you can pretty much do whatever you want and it'll look great because the linework doesn't really suggest too much in the way of strong light direction.

Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Predabot View Post
    Yeah, it's been talked about on these boards before, but in this case I can't actually ask... because I have no idea who they are.

Hopefully they might step forth upon seeing this thread.
    Couldn't you try PM'ing Emliano and asking if he can either point you in the direction of the owner or contact them for you (if he would rather not divulge their identity for whatever reason)?

I mean, I know he's a busy guy, but it rarely hurts to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    Two equally-strong light sources, used in the way you're describing in your diagram, can flatten out your image and make it quite... blah. I'd recommend utilizing at least a variant of this traditional (and tried-and-true) lighting method:

Three Point Lighting

The great thing about Emil's linework is that it allows for increased flexibility when determining the lighting... In the case of this piece, you can pretty much do whatever you want and it'll look great because the linework doesn't really suggest too much in the way of strong light direction.

Hope that helps.
    It does, actually. As you say, except for those noses, there's not a whole lot that dictates the light-source, wich means I can pretty much "go to town", now that I think about it.

Interesting tecnique that mention, 3-point lights... hmm. I suppose I might try it, otherwise I'll probably just use the good ol' one light-source, and a much weaker secondary in a few places, to spice things up.

EDIT: I figured your little tutorial was so good, that I actually did a small attempt myself, to get a feel for it. I think I get the general gist of it, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by j-bird View Post
    Couldn't you try PM'ing Emliano and asking if he can either point you in the direction of the owner or contact them for you (if he would rather not divulge their identity for whatever reason)?

I mean, I know he's a busy guy, but it rarely hurts to ask.
    Yes, that's actually a thought. I think I'll do that.
    Last edited by Predabot; March 25, 2008 at 12:06pm.

I always thought Emiliano draws a mean Castle Grayskull!!

I say colour anything that takes your fancy regardless of resolution!
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com