Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dangermouse and Count Duckula

Dangermouse and Count Duckula

Okay I would just like to take this opportunity to declare my love for two of the greatest cartoon series in the history of cartoons, Dangermouse and Count Duckula.

Now as some of you may or may not know both of these shows were created by the British cartoon studio called "Cosgrove Hall" which was founded in 1976 by Brian Cosgrove and Mark Hall. Seeing as DangerMouse was the first of the two I will start with him.

A parody of the classic tv show Danger Man (as well as many other spy shows of course) this show chartered the adventures of Britains top secret agent and his bumbling sidekick Penfold. Througout most of the show his chief nemesis was the evil toad Baron Silas Greenback and his lackey Stiletto as they tried many hairbrained schemes to take over the world (such as selling heaters to Eskimos, only to be foiled when the realise the eskimos have nowhere to plug them in). On these adventures it was haevily shown that DM (as he is known to his friends) may be the worlds greatest (and most famous) secret agent, an expert in many forms of martial arts and a keen detective... he was also as much an accident prone bumbler as his sidekick was and mostly saved the day through sheer dumb luck as much as anything else.

Now while Greenback was the chief villain there were other ones, such as Doctor Augustus P. Crumhorn III and one particular evil character who was obsessed with Show Business... the absolutley brilliant COUNT DUCKULA.

Now unlike the Duckula from the CD cartoon show (which i will get to in a minute) it was implied that this particular one was indeed an evil vampire as he tended to join up with evil people in an attempt to take over the world (or at least get on tv). Now while this love of showbusiness carried over to the Spin Off show "Count Duckula" I tend to think that this particular incarnation of Duckula was the father of the one from the CD show. Yes I know technically it is the same vampire reincarnated every time but everyone (including he himself) refer to them as his ancestors, even though he knows that he is his own ancestor, as he says "Im not Like I was when I was my own father!", but I refuse to believe that the evil Count Duckula of the DangerMouse cartoon is the same Count Ducklua as my Ducky Boos.

Okay onto the Count Duckula cartoon show (which is my favourite of the two, if not my favourite cartoon series EVER).

Starting with one of the greatest openings of any cartoon series ever

"Castle Duckula—home for many centuries to a terrible dynasty of vicious vampire ducks: the Counts of Duckula! Legend has it that these foul beings can be destroyed by a stake through the heart or by exposure to sunlight. This does not suffice, however, for they may be brought back to life, by means of a secret rite, that can be performed once a century when the moon is in the eighth zenith... The latest reincarnation did not run according to plan."

This show followed the zany adventures of the green Transylvanian Vegetarian Vampire Duck... "COUNT DUCKULA" (an obvious parody of Count Dracula) who was made vegetarian when Tomato Ketchup was used in the secret rite instead of blood, as he attempted to become a rich and famous entertainer, explorer, artist... whatever took his fancy really. Of course none of his brilliant ideas would not work without the help of his faithful Butler Igor and his beloved Nanny..Nanny (or is that his brilliant ideas would work without the help of his faithful Butler Igor and his beloved Nanny..Nanny).

The other most famous character of this show was the Wampire, ahem I mean Vampire Hunter Doctor Von Goosewing (a parody of Van Helsing) and his attempts to kill the blood sucking fiend Duckula (he seemed oblivious to the fact this incarnation of the Dreadful Dynasty of Vicious Vampire Ducks was a harmless vegetarian) using his ingenious (well stupid) inventions.

Despite being a Vampire Duckula did not share his ancestors problems with Sunlight (it did not make him turn to dust) and in fact he seemed to quite enjoy it. However he did have some vampiric qualities such as the ability to teleport (usually to the telephone), not casting a reflection in the mirror "look in the mirror and there you are not there." and enhanced strength (he was able to lift and support his entire body with only one finger with no apparent problems)

Oh and he also had a pet werewolf named Towser which was heard on occaision but never seen.

What I liked about both these shows, was not just the brillaint voice acting (especially of DM and CD which were both done by David Jason), but also the brilliant dialogue and play on words such as the memorable back and forth between Duckula and two Egyptian Priests named Hoomite and Yoobee

"Hoomite: I am Hoomite, High Priest of the Sun God Ra! And this is my assistant Yoobee.
    Yoobee: Delighted, I'm sure.
    Hoomite: Who might you be?
    Count Duckula: Yes, I got that.
    Hoomite: No, who might you be?
    Count Duckula: Yes, I know, you said that already.
    Hoomite: So you will not tell me?
    Count Duckula: Well, I hardly need to, do I?
    Hoomite: We shall see about that! Yoobee, you try.
    Yoobee: Oh, very well master. Listen I am Yoobee, right?
    Count Duckula: Wrong. I am, you are.
    Yoobee: Aahhh! There you are Master, he is Yooare.
    Hoomite: So you are Yooare?
    Count Duckula: I am not, I am not.
    Hoomite: See! He is not Yooare, he is Knot!
    Yoobee: You are Yooare!"

Now if you will excuse me I am going to go watch my new Dangermouse and Count Duckula Boxsets
    Last edited by wolfsfang; March 19, 2008 at 01:08pm.
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Shhhh... It's a Secret... Midwinter's Avatar
    These are great shows! It was nice to see a different style of humor than all the other cartoons and such original brilliant ideas.
    In Midwinter, the heat from the oven baking my Shrinky Dinks is all I need!

I wish they would release S2-S4 here in the US, with the dollar being so low compared to the Euro or GBP its too expensive for me to import S2-S4 (S3 and S4 were combined in the final UK release)

So far I only own the US S1 release, its too awesome of a show!
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Yeah I really really highly suggest getting a hold of these shows, there is noway anybody could be disappointed by them.

And if they are they need psychiatric help to fix their obvious mental problems.

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    I wish they would release S2-S4 here in the US, with the dollar being so low compared to the Euro or GBP its too expensive for me to import S2-S4 (S3 and S4 were combined in the final UK release)

So far I only own the US S1 release, its too awesome of a show!
    Of which show?

Oh and these are two shows I hope are never remade. This is because I feel they will try to make DM too much of a suave ans sophisticated super spy and they might add too much horror to Count Duckula. No if there was to be anymore of these brilliant shows they would have to be new episodes that carried on the existing shows that were stylistically identical so as not to spoil these perfect examples of 80's toons

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfsfang View Post
    Of which show?

That would be Count Duckula. Danger Mouse has been released completely here in the US, while Duckula has had only Season 1 put out.

Ah okay, sorry I live in England so I don't know what is and is not released in the US. Have any of you CD lovers tried online (such as Ebay) for later series of the show?

You know I even have my Count Duckula soft toy from when I was little. One of the few things I have left from my childhood and one of my most beloved ones.
    Last edited by wolfsfang; March 18, 2008 at 06:08pm.

Yeah, I have been waiting to see if more seasons of Count Duckula was going to be released in USA, but I guess I will have to buy the Region 2 discs.

I actually bought a region free player when MOTU first came out in the UK and have enjoyed being able to pick up stuff from other countries.

if you can buy from the UK Amazon site each of the three season boxsets of Duckula costs £12.97 which is somewhere between 25 and 30 dollars I think. Well worth it for some Ducky Boos action

The only downside to ordering from the UK is shipping, so I might just bite the bullet and order the two boxed sets at one time to save on that.

I can only assume it did not sell well in the US because as was mentioned before Dangermouse had the entire series released (across 4-6 boxed sets I believe) and it was just as new a release as Duckula but since its been 2-3 years since the S1 release of Duckula it must have tanked.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    I can only assume it did not sell well in the US because as was mentioned before Dangermouse had the entire series released (across 4-6 boxed sets I believe) and it was just as new a release as Duckula but since its been 2-3 years since the S1 release of Duckula it must have tanked.
    Hmm undisputable evidence that a lot of Americans don't have any taste

This exact one is not actually mine (I don't have a camera) but this is still the exact same soft toy of Duckula that I own

Last edited by wolfsfang; March 18, 2008 at 07:57pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Cat dead, details later Sorceress's Avatar
    Loving that Count Duckula toy very cute . I loved Dangermouse and Count Duckula when I was younger. Never knew that Sir David Jason (Only Fools and Horses, Touch of Frost) was such a good voice actor.
    Rob Kerr- 1979-2006. I will always love you.

DISCLAIMER: The above post is not meant to offend, if you feel insulted by it then use the pm button to discuss it with me.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/839006124/nevermore-0?ref=live

Quote Originally Posted by Sorceress View Post
    Loving that Count Duckula toy very cute . I loved Dangermouse and Count Duckula when I was younger. Never knew that Sir David Jason (Only Fools and Horses, Touch of Frost) was such a good voice actor.
    Yep he is. My Ducky Boos toy is in the same place he has always been... at the end of my bed, just a shame I lost his cape a few years ago.

nice little CD clip

Last edited by wolfsfang; March 19, 2008 at 01:04am.

Arrested for copying dogs FiveOfSeven's Avatar
    Far beyond any imaginative work of terror or science-fiction
    "The Vampire Strikes Back" has to be my fave episode of "Duckula". After being blasted into orbit by his arch enemy, the Count and company are rescued by "Tremendous Terence - Hero of Space". They set down on the nearest available planet, where unimaginable horrors await...

Count Duckula-Planet Kewt

Keen eyed viewers may just be able to discern the occasional thinly disguised swipe at certain other cartoons of the day...
    The ponderous pounding of the piano,
    is like the pounding in my heart
    And even though the verse has just begun,
    it's time for the chorus to staaaart...
    ("Because I'm Wet and Lonely" - N.T.N.O.C.N.)

"Oh dearie my!" Mer-Man's Minion's Avatar
    Wow! I've never seen "Count Duckula" before, but it totally looks like a 'toon I would love!

Must...see...this...show...
    Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

Doha, Qatar, Arabian Gulf ... clearly no where near the US of A ... in case you were curious... not suggesting at all that your geography skills are bad... I'm just saying... anywho...
    Wow that's brought back some memories... that Thames Television opening almost brought a tear to my eye..

Cosgrove Hall also made Wind in the Willows apparently. Who knew.
    "Milk is for babies" - Arnold Schwarzenneger

Quote Originally Posted by Mer-Man's Minion View Post
    Wow! I've never seen "Count Duckula" before, but it totally looks like a 'toon I would love!

Must...see...this...show...
    Yep it's a toon everybody would love. One of y fave cartoons of all time.
    Last edited by wolfsfang; February 5, 2011 at 08:01pm.

i love the count. very good show. just have the one box set. if i remember wasnt it on nick?

dont really care for danger mouse. im upset that they released all those sets of that show and not the better one being count.

austin

Quote Originally Posted by banthafett View Post
    i love the count. very good show. just have the one box set. if i remember wasnt it on nick?

dont really care for danger mouse. im upset that they released all those sets of that show and not the better one being count.

austin
    here is a list of the airing history for CD. Oh and I agree it is the better of the two by far... very far

* UK
    o ITV1 (1988-1993)
    o The Children's Channel
    o Nickelodeon (1995-1996)
    o Sky One (1998-2001)

* USA
    o Nickelodeon (1988-1994)

* Canada
    o YTV

* The Czech Republic
    o Supermax (tv channel)

* South Africa
    o Boomerang

* Mexico
    o Televisa

* Netherlands
    o Boomerang

* Poland
    o TVP2
    o Boomerang

* Australia
    o ABC
    o Cheez TV via Network Ten
    o Nickelodeon

Quote Originally Posted by banthafett View Post

austin
    Yes they showed this on Nickelodeon. If I remember correctly it was also syndicated earlier than this in America though.

just found this website which is good for Duckula fans

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/tehrobocoddess87/

Quote Originally Posted by first post
    Despite being a Vampire Duckula did not share his ancestors problems with Sunlight (it did not make him turn to dust) and in fact he seemed to quite enjoy it. However he did have some vampiric qualities such as the ability to teleport (usually to the telephone), not casting a reflection in the mirror "look in the mirror and there you are not there." and enhanced strength (he was able to lift and support his entire body with only one finger with no apparent problems)
    and here is the proof

Duckula out in the day

Telportation / Smoke

No reflection in a mirror "You look in the mirror and there you are, not there.

Enhanced strength
    Last edited by wolfsfang; March 19, 2008 at 01:25pm.

Hmm undisputable evidence that a lot of Americans don't have any taste

This exact one is not actually mine (I don't have a camera) but this is still the exact same soft toy of Duckula that I own

Hey,

I loved these two series as a kid, but I remember more of Dangermouse. Including an episode with Spiders, and one where their chief seemed to of aged with a very long beard....

I'm hesitant to pick them up, though. have they aged well? What where the two logo's at the end? I seem to remember a Thames logo.....
    Geek Media -
    http://www.youtube.com/NTV1978

Geek Media Abridged - Packing Protons
    http://www.youtube.com/WPLJTV

Quote Originally Posted by Shredder View Post
    Hey,

I loved these two series as a kid, but I remember more of Dangermouse. Including an episode with Spiders, and one where their chief seemed to of aged with a very long beard....

I'm hesitant to pick them up, though. have they aged well? What where the two logo's at the end? I seem to remember a Thames logo.....
    Hmm without sticking the DVD in to check perhaps the other Logo is for Cosgrove Hall, the company that made both shows.

I will be watching some more Duckula later so I will give you a positive answer then.

Oh and I think "Pearson Television International" might have had a logo at the end (I kind of remember seeing one on the end)

So my memory says "Thames" at the beginning and "Cosgrove Hall" and "Pearson Television International" at the end

Oh and yes they have aged well... very well. These are timeless classics which will ALWAYS be funny. This is because there is not much satiring of 80's culture which would date it immensely. Instead it parodies old horror and sci-fi films, an act which is still done to this day on cartoons such as Billy and Mandy (except that Ducky Boos does it with much more style)

That and they were digitally restored so the DVD's look as clear as the show did in the 80's
    Last edited by wolfsfang; March 19, 2008 at 02:14pm.

So my memory says "Thames" at the beginning and "Cosgrove Hall" and "Pearson Television International" at the end
    I loved the Thames logo screen and the chime it did.

Oh and I finally got my camera working so this IS my Ducky Boos

Hmm I really must give him a wash

I also own these (still read them)

Last edited by wolfsfang; March 19, 2008 at 07:11pm.

Wofsfang - he truly is immortal after seeing that picture!