Page 35 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2533343536 LastLast

Thread: MOTU Deviantart ART

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    Wow! I really love the new Hordak art.
    Reminds me of Mr.Sinister
    Skeleton-Warriors, Ra-Jar, Lizard-Man, Spinwit, Rock Golem, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Prahvus, General Tartaran, Hawke, Slob-Boar, King Agho, Hunga the Harpy, Sh'gora, Nocturna, Masks of Power Demons, Horde Wraiths, Crimson Fury, Lodar, Vizar, Angast, Negator, Snake Armor He-Man

Widget
    yeah that would be more correct but would also miss the point im trying to make with these designs, and that is that these characters are filmable. problem is as allways that your hollywood movie designer is usually under orders to make ti look cool and wether or not it is recogniseable falls into the second plan

look at any of the movies they did recently
    i try to make characters recognizable, merely translating their features into a plausible look
    and ears that big wouldnt work for the new audience. you see what was cool for us isnt cool for the new kids, it's as simple as that

and today with your new age of design, most of the motu designs are outdated.
    you see my hordak for instance is basically made as a wearable prosthethic costume, personally i would love to see luke goss play him, cause that dude really has the skills to play a badass
    and when you are supposed to be a badass, your looks conform to certain archetypes.

ears that big , unfortunately arent doable.

again, they might work for me , you and the rest of the old motu fans, but new stuff isnt meant to be sustained on a dwindling population. it needs new blood

and new blood has a different sense of aestethics taught to them. so no these arent the old characters, these are old characters modified for new eyes too. to be recognized by old but appreciated by new

not to me, mindyou! i am proudly wearing my nostalgia glasses.

I see your point and I do some what agree with you, but saying that I personally still prefer the bigger ears. Really it is a matter of personal taste, sure the general public or "kids" may not find it cool but I am not the kind of person who cares about what other people think I would want him to have his large bat ears
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Hey Nebezial!
    Nice to see you on the boards.
    I hear what you're saying and unfortunately although I have always hated that line of thinking it seems to be the "norm" in today's movie designs of older properties (ie: Transformers!)

I for one think that the the older designs especially the way 200x was done can work onscreen. The problem is that 'Hollywood' always seems to think they 'know' what the moviegoers want to see... when sometimes that is just not the case. If they have never seen the property before then who's to say that seeing the look for the first time means that they wont like it...
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

Widget
    yeah i know, but remember mate, we are the ones wearing the nostalgia glasses, for us old motu looks awesome, but dont forget, our generations were raised on that aestethics. we are used to that. we see he man we think awesome, same goeds for old lion-o from thundercats

new generation of kids is raised on a different aestethics, to them this stuff looks ..well...lame.

oh not all of them, some wtill prefer the lure of oldschool, but now if aou consider the viability of a franchise like motu and pop

you come to the inevitable conclusion. it can not survive on its eroding number of old fans. and i dont mean that we forget... but life gets in the way. so only solution to keep the franchise alive is to update it

this was , in my opinion , very nicely done with 2002 motu series..well cept for that damn sword, personally i hated it, but cant blame those who liked it.

you see the point is, companies arent really fighting all that hard to keep us as fans.. cause, lets face it , we are pretty much hooked

they do however need new blood

so my idea behind all those designs is to make characters look badass while keeping their features
    and soon i will continue messing around with this.

this is done for my own amusement, and inbetween daily work... and when you draw 14 hours a day and then sit to draw some motu...thats love mate, and its the love we all share XD

Quote Originally Posted by nebezial View Post
    yeah i know, but remember mate, we are the ones wearing the nostalgia glasses, for us old motu looks awesome, but dont forget, our generations were raised on that aestethics. we are used to that. we see he man we think awesome, same goeds for old lion-o from thundercats

new generation of kids is raised on a different aestethics, to them this stuff looks ..well...lame.

oh not all of them, some wtill prefer the lure of oldschool, but now if aou consider the viability of a franchise like motu and pop

you come to the inevitable conclusion. it can not survive on its eroding number of old fans. and i dont mean that we forget... but life gets in the way. so only solution to keep the franchise alive is to update it

this was , in my opinion , very nicely done with 2002 motu series..well cept for that damn sword, personally i hated it, but cant blame those who liked it.

you see the point is, companies arent really fighting all that hard to keep us as fans.. cause, lets face it , we are pretty much hooked

they do however need new blood

so my idea behind all those designs is to make characters look badass while keeping their features
    and soon i will continue messing around with this.

this is done for my own amusement, and inbetween daily work... and when you draw 14 hours a day and then sit to draw some motu...thats love mate, and its the love we all share XD
    Even as a kid I thought Lion-O looked silly. he was IMO a reversed ronald mcdonald wearing a women's bathing suit. at 8 years old he did not look cool to me. also ten years ago kids though yu gi oh looked cool, and there isn't anything cool about ash's look, I mean I hear 100% what you're saying, but so many kids toons don't really look cool (young justice redesigns look VERY cool IMO. ) aside from that rant, your work is beautiful!!
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Its true the aesthetics of today's toons and toys are vastly different to yesteryears yet even now some kids see He-Man toys and are into it. I can't really talk from experience as my kid is only 20 months old but what say all you parents out there who have introduced their kids to motu?

I dunno, I still think that with todays CG the MotU designs can be pulled off 95% faithful to the originals, I concede that a certain amount of tweaking could come into play.

Either way I look forward to seeing your vision on other characters!
    Last edited by oICEMANo; July 9, 2012 at 10:39am.
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

Very cool art!

I'm 100% behind Nebezial. A new look - especially his kind of new look - is definately how to make the most of MOTU.
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

Widget
    and now i think next ones imma take the true challenges..like peekablue.. and crazily enough i do have an idea for her too XD.

Movie mayhem!
    and now i think next ones imma take the true challenges..like peekablue.. and crazily enough i do have an idea for her too XD.
    Hey great seeing you here on the boards Neb! Loving your stuff. Any change I can twist your arm into joining the redesign challenge? http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...e-102-TRAP-JAW!

waiting with baited breath!
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC

I totally understand your point of view, but I am of an opposite opinion. I think the distinct features of the 200x Hordak were the direction to go. They took the cartoony look from the figure and expanded on it in an exaggerated fashion instead of toning it down. We have state of the art make-up effects now and MORE than enough talent to take Hordak and detail those basic features into a realistic and more demonic movie persona!
    Darth Pardus

Classic Want list: Stinkor shield, Extendar, Snake Face, Snout Spout, Snake mountain bridge and net, Fright Fighter, Talon fighter radar dish, jetsled, tower tools, cliff climber, scuba attack, turbodactyl, bionatops, tyrantosaur, and Eternia

Widget
    true, but ask any actow and any makeup artist who had to make that and they will tell you the nr 1 rule of the job... actor must be able to act in all that costume. simple as that. that is why stuff is streamlined in movies, its not only because designers got nothing better to do.

you see, high paying actors are hired to act out these characters. they want to be recognizeable, director want that prosthethic make up to work for him not against him.

true quality of the translation will in the end mostly be carried by the actor. and actor cant act in something so overloaded and clunky that ot would give a megazord run for his money. ask any cosplayer who ever tried to wear one of those oversized costumes that tried to be faithful to the cartoon material.

again, personally, i love the old stuff, but... again... we are wearing nostalgia glases, and i can face that reality

the actor who plays Hordak can still be recognizable with big bat ears. I mean big horns didn't hurt Tim Curry in Legend so I am sure someone could deal with slightly over sized ears
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Widget
    well...big horns are and have allways been cool...big ears????...no XD

Big ears never hurt Spock or the LOTR elves or Will Smith .
    Could we get some Meteorbs, Please???!!!

Widget
    you may nioice that that size of ears is more or less what i put on ym version of hordak too XD. its the official movie allowed size of cool big ears XD , also known as 1.5 will smith XD

Size of the ears!!?? Who cares? This is a wicked interpretation of Hordak & I don't think I've seen better. Besides, big ears have always looked dumb on hordak IMHO.

you see what was cool for us isnt cool for the new kids, it's as simple as that

and today with your new age of design, most of the motu designs are outdated.
    Ih, bre. Stil u starom Hi-Menu uopšte nije bio nov pa nam se ipak svideo iako smo bili klinci. Dobro je bilo nacrtano, i to je to. To što sad neki tridesetgodišnji kreteni iz podruma označavaju kao otrcano, to može mački o rep da se okači jer je kvalitet večan.

Mislim, današnjim klincima uopšte ne smetaju stari dizajni. To su klinci kao što smo i mi bili. I kao što smo mi mogli, tako i oni mogu da uživaju u stvarima koje su nastale pre njihovog rođenja.

Po logici kretena mi smo trebali da preziremo, recimo, matore Diznijeve crtaće jer su noviji crtaći u naše vreme bili o varvarima, nindžama i gigantskim robotima.

E sad, to svakako ne znači da nema mesta za poboljšavanja (kao npr tvoja verzija Mantene).

again, personally, i love the old stuff, but... again... we are wearing nostalgia glases, and i can face that reality
    Malo morgen. To je argument koji su degeni osmislili kako bi branili nekog seronju koji je uzeo nešto staro i potpuuuno usrao skroz naskroz (primer: Majkl Bejovi Transformersi). Imaš bilo kakvu kritiku? Ti si zaslepnjen nostalgijom/nosiš nostalgične/roze naočare! E ti degeni su oni koji treba da se suoče sa stvarnošću. Poželjno pre nego što odluče da pogledaju Transformerse 4 jedno 50 miliona puta...
    Last edited by Grimbot; July 11, 2012 at 01:16pm.
    Коможедапрочитанекапрочита:овимсајтомуправљајулуда циопседнутиконтролом.Јебаоихмателијебаоихскот .

Widget
    znam, zato se mastersi prodaju ko ludi danas....oh...cekaj. tuzna realnost stari, ali nazalost novi klinci ne preferiraju sto se nama svidja

pogotovo je tuzno sto su sve sanse da ako naprave ikad motu film, biti ce jednaka izdaja ko bayovi crapformersi. gadno je kad nesto volis i gledas kako to izmesare do tocke di izgubi svaku vezu

sorry bout the reply in different language, but the post was too long to translate. in general its just a discussion on whether or not the old stuff appeals to new kids or not
    Last edited by nebezial; July 12, 2012 at 06:12am.

Two NON DA works I had to share!

Okay I just discovered this piece on another art site called "Mania" with an epic MOTU battle scene:
    http://community.mania.com/ver1.0/Co...d109e.Full.jpg
    e4f9810d-2e48-4ce3-bb67-279de54d109e.Full.jpg

An has anyone else already re-posted one of the best Teela fan-arts I've ever seen by Adriano De Vincentiis?
    http://www.sophiabd.com/down/teela_s...d_com_logo.jpg
    Visit my art page at: http://theblock.deviantart.com/ , if you like my work and have an account there to, feel free to fave or watch me, I could use the street cred !

My new chant: Lets go NA MARA, spike-flail pon-y-tail

That Teela by ADV is wonderful, I very much like the concept but am not to sure about the black shading on the theighs.
    Check out my MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ART & More at my ART BLOG!!!

JafariStew's ART BLOG!! UPDATED 7.21.14!!

MOTUC RECORD

NEW! MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ORIGIN ART CARDS PART 4!!

"Revenge is like JAFARI STEW, it tastes best served cold..." ~SKELETOR (the Beginning part 2)

Movie mayhem!
    Be sure to be using the embed feature with deviant art guys.