Thread: The Many Continuities of MOTU: Your Favourite?

Widget

The Many Continuities of MOTU: Your Favourite?

There is no single – or legitimate – MOTU continuity, but a number of different continuities, all of which are official. For example, there is the continuity developed in the first four ‘illustrated books’ (written by Glut) in which He-Man is a barbarian from a mountain tribe; there is the continuity found in the DC Comics mini-series (and crossovers) from 1982-3 (written by Kupperberg), in which Prince Adam is first introduced, transforming into He-Man in the Cavern of Power!; there is the continuity found in the second series of mini-comics – by DC – 1982 – in which the Sorceress is more often referred to as ‘the Goddess’ (written by Cohn); there is that found in the later min-comics – by Mattel (various writers) from 1983-87. Of course, there’s the popularly known continuity from the Filmation TV series. Another – and closely related – is that found in the Marvel/Star comics, from the mid-1980’s; and, similarly, in the various ‘magazines’ (e.g. the ‘MOTU UK Magazine’). More recently, there’s the Mike Young Productions TV series (2002-04) and its related MVCreations comics continuity. There’s the Classics continuity (as depicted on the boxes). There’s the new mini-comics – both by Dark Horse and DC. And, most recently of all, there’s the new DC Comics series.

Each of these tells the story (and depicts the characters) is somewhat different ways. While some attempt is made to offer a canonical interpretation, embracing aspects of all, that really doesn’t exist. Each continuity is thoroughly enjoyable in and of themselves.

As for me, my favourite is the 2002 show. In second place, I like Glut’s illustrated books – in which He-Man is a barbarian. What about you? What’s your favourite?

Brassy Baroness
    On behalf of He-Man.org's admin, staff, and moderators, allow me to extend an official Hello and welcome to He-Man.org, Cambro Cave Man!! We're very glad to have you join our site hope you have a fun time discussing Masters of the Universe and Princess of Power here.

Please be sure to read over the rules for posting here when you have an opportunity. Most of them are pretty easy to follow.

If you want to buy and trade you will need to upgrade your account to have access to the Marketplace. Please read over the upgrade options here.

Great question! She-raver here. But never saw the lady bird books...

We hope you really enjoy your time here! Welcome!
    Trust me, trust me, be a'right,
    Drink a little poison 'for you die,
    Sign' blood or fool night,
    Drink a little poison 'for you die.

I know it hasn't been too popular in some circles, but I really enjoy the Bio Narrative that has been coming with the Classics line. It is a decent attempt to bring together all of the continuities you've mentioned, but it still allows room to maneuver. After all, everyone's favourite continuity is the one in their own imaginations!

Brassy Baroness
    Best answer ever! You wins an Internet.
    Trust me, trust me, be a'right,
    Drink a little poison 'for you die,
    Sign' blood or fool night,
    Drink a little poison 'for you die.