Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: He-Man Magazine Poster Scans

Heroic Warrior

He-Man Magazine Poster Scans

I've just acquired the He-Man magazine set and scanned in the posters if you are interested. I've only posted the two posters from issue three, but by the summer, i should have more done.
    These are dropped to 300 dpi, due to bandwidth, I won't be hosting the 600 dpi ones, sorry. Regardless, still pretty big and clear.
    http://www.toyjesus.com/posters
    www.toyjesus.com
    All your MOTU Sticker and Instruction needs!

Historian of Eternia LORD FALLEN ELDOR's Avatar
    You are amazing! Eamon has a thread in the fan art forum, he is opening an earl Norem site and would love to have those painted posters on his site. This will make him happy!

p.s. outbid me on ebay again and I’ll send a battalion of horde troopers to take your MOTU goodies. The evil horde will not sit still....Jokes aside, I’m never upset when another forum member outbids me, its almost like keeping it in the family LOL
    http://kotaku.com/why-fanboys-act-like-jerks-1563379006

'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments" (Matthew 22:36-40).

thanks for sharing
    My collection: http://s237.photobucket.com/albums/ff142/leo_skeletor/

EL HEAVY NO ES VIOLENCIA

Skeletors evil colorist Predabot's Avatar
    Toyjesus... have you ever heard of Earl Norem, and an initiative called EarlNorem.com, started by Pig_Boy/Eamon of this board..?

I notice that you have the WICKED Filmation Hordak-poster that he did, and that's something that we desperately need!

Have a look at this link, where you can follow the latest developments of the upcoming site,
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ighlight=norem

Then have a look at this perticular link where you can see wich magazines Norem was involved with, and let us know if you own the whole, or partial, lot of them, and are prepared to give us a hand!
    http://www.comicvine.com/comic/he-ma...20441/&i=27826
    Last edited by Predabot; April 20, 2008 at 07:27am.

Heroic Warrior
    I have the whole run of he-man mags from the US. I intend to scan all of them if that helps! LFE...that wouldn't be that man-at-arms figure would it? LOL, I haven't purchased much lately but I really needed that red-dot helmeted beauty!
    www.toyjesus.com

wow that great, thanks for posting them.
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

Heroic Warrior
    Two more posters being uploaded right now. Check in a few and you'll get the first two from the first issue...third to follow.
    www.toyjesus.com

Toyjesus, those are absolutely smashin'. Do you mind if I give you a suggestion for the scanning tho, courtesy of Eamon?

When you scan, if you intend to have them in 600 dpi, then scan them in 1200 and then resize down to 600. Likewise if you intend to have them in 300 dpi, go 600 and then resize down. This always looks better, and when you chose the descreen-option on the scanner, chose newspaper, this will make the scanner compensate for the little dots that old print has.

Eh, Eamon put it best himself, have a look:
    Quote Originally Posted by Eamon View Post
    I'll have a look as I have a few tricks but the safest way is at the scanning process and what the setting the scanner has.

markatisu: there should be a "descreen" option on your scanner. If you could just try one small tiny part so we can see if it works at: 600dpi, at 75% and set the descreen to "Newspaper".
    Another thing to do is to turn the poster at an angle of about 45 degrees and scan it as you have been doing. Sometimes depending on the way it was originally printed the scanner can't pick them up if it's at an angle.
    This is why i recommend we do some testers first!

Be careful about this high res scans, folks.
    You're treading in some iffy territory.

After all, what would be the purpose of high res scans? - to reproduce the item.
    And reproducing anything, stickers, posters, art, etc, can get you into trouble with the copyright holder.
    Always be aware of that risk when doing something like this.

Predabot:

Most scanners are true optical resolution of 300 dpi.
    Scanning at 1200 dpi, then ressing down to 600 dpi won't really improve quality. It's interpolating (basically guessing/averaging) the data to get it up to 1200 dpi in the first place.
    You'd probably be better offer scanning at 300 or 600 dpi and ressing up in Photoshop.

Who do you trust more with the interpolation?
    Your scanner software, or Adobe Photoshop?
    It's up to you.

Heroic Warrior
    Thanks Predabot, I know what you mean about the moire effect. I intend to have these the raws at 600 but the shared or distributed ones at 300dpi. I'm not picking up the moire effect and the little dots on my screen when I view these however...are you? I'm not a big fan of too much descreening and found that different scanners/software handle it quite differently and sometimes greatly blur and image and text. If you're picking up the effect pretty strongly I'll play around a bit, but again, I really didn't notice it on my screen. I've gotten around 1500 comic book scans under my belt, including the minicomic scans that are hosted here on he-man.org (those were a long time ago and definitely have tons of the effect!).
    Dang...always the voice of reason Val.
    I'll take a few precautions and cut the folder.
    www.toyjesus.com

With the magazines, I'd say the odds are definitely on your side.
    I'm not saying stop, just be careful.
    That's all.

You're in a gray area.
    They aren't available any more, and that's on your side.
    But, if the copyright holder ever wanted to reproduce them in the future, they can shake their boom stick at you.

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    Be careful about this high res scans, folks.
    You're treading in some iffy territory.

After all, what would be the purpose of high res scans? - to reproduce the item.
    And reproducing anything, stickers, posters, art, etc, can get you into trouble with the copyright holder.
    Always be aware of that risk when doing something like this.

Predabot:

Most scanners are true optical resolution of 300 dpi.
    Scanning at 1200 dpi, then ressing down to 600 dpi won't really improve quality. It's interpolating (basically guessing/averaging) the data to get it up to 1200 dpi in the first place.
    You'd probably be better offer scanning at 300 or 600 dpi and ressing up in Photoshop.

Who do you trust more with the interpolation?
    Your scanner software, or Adobe Photoshop?
    It's up to you.
    Well, I'll be darned. Well, I'm just repeating what Eamon said, about scanning higher than what you intend to use, so I figured some scanners went higher. Shows what I know.

And darn you Val... always the voice of reason.

Toyjesus: The dots kind of show up when you see them in smaller format, especially evident on the Secret of the Sword poster, with He-man and She-Ra. The latter ones with He-man and Fisto fighting Webstor and Clawful are pretty much fine tho.
    Last edited by Predabot; April 20, 2008 at 12:24pm.

Historian of Eternia LORD FALLEN ELDOR's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Toyjesus View Post
    I have the whole run of he-man mags from the US. I intend to scan all of them if that helps! LFE...that wouldn't be that man-at-arms figure would it? LOL, I haven't purchased much lately but I really needed that red-dot helmeted beauty!
    No, a grip of Magazines just sold recently, I thought these where them.
    http://kotaku.com/why-fanboys-act-like-jerks-1563379006

'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments" (Matthew 22:36-40).

Heavy Metal Warlord Hessianking's Avatar
    Those Scans are awesome! Thank you Toy Jesus.

I used to have these posters on my bedroom walls as a kid.
    -Hessianking

Earl Norem is my all time favorite painter, thanks in large part to his artwork for the MOTU line. When I close my eyes and envision MOTU, it's Norem's vision of He-Man and Eternia that I think of. He is such an underrated genius and I'll gladly do what I can to support a website dedicated to him.

Luck is for losers GK Version 1's Avatar
    My lord the quality on these are BEAUTIFUL. Perfect for Desktop image fodder! Thanks!

Heroic Warrior
    Thanks for the compliment...for that I'll throw up another poster!
    Now serving poster 3 from the first issue. Give me about 5 minutes and it should show up.

Now serving poster 4 (from issue 2)
    Last edited by Toyjesus; May 4, 2008 at 04:26pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    www.toyjesus.com

Quote Originally Posted by Toyjesus View Post
    Thanks for the compliment...for that I'll throw up another poster!
    Now serving poster 3 from the first issue. Give me about 5 minutes and it should show up.

Now serving poster 4 (from issue 2)
    THANK YOU I'm nabbing those up and sending off to Eamon ASAP.

Heroic Warrior
    Sending up another in the next ten minutes, that will complete the posters from issue 1-3. Sorry so slow in getting them to you, I've been doing the whole issue as I go, and the books have a few tricky joins. I'm going to take a break from them for a bit and work on some other scans for awhile though.
    www.toyjesus.com

Luck is for losers GK Version 1's Avatar
    Dude, thank you so much for these. I've been looking for pics high quality enough to turn in to desktop images! I have a widescreen monitor, and I've been having a lot of problems finding MotU images that looked good as my background. These are perfect!

A big fan of Slush Head
    Oh man these are great! Thanks man for the scans. I am saving all of 'em.
    http://mikebock.deviantart.com/
    SLUSH HEAD FINALLY SHOWED UP IN MOTUC YAY!!!

Heroic Warrior
    No problem. I aim to please. Posters 1-7 are done and now posted. Enjoy.
    www.toyjesus.com

A big fan of Slush Head
    This is awesome!! Dude do you plan to scan all the posters?
    If so ..how many are they?
    http://mikebock.deviantart.com/
    SLUSH HEAD FINALLY SHOWED UP IN MOTUC YAY!!!

Heroic Warrior
    Yes, I'm doing all of them. Ill keep sharing provided people want them.

Just posted poster 22 from issue 15. Enjoy.
    Last edited by Toyjesus; May 4, 2008 at 09:45pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    www.toyjesus.com

This is my favourite thread in a long while. I only wish it could be a sticky.

Absolutely loving all the posters, especially in high-res. Making wallpapers out of them for my own enjoyment.