Thread: Count Marzo & Evilseed question

Count Marzo & Evilseed question

This surely was answered in the past, but I can't find the old thread, so sorry if it still exists.

My question is: How was MYP able to use/revamp Count Marzo and Evilseed in the new show though both are Filmation characters? Did they get ERs permission, did Mattel buy the character rights?
    Additionally, how exactly does this affect the possibility of Marzo and Evilseed actionfigures in the MotUC line?

IF I'm not mistaken Mattel was allowed to use filmation characters in MYP so long as they were redesigned and they were different in presentation (and origin) than their filmation counterparts, that being said the MYP versions of the characters are most likely on the allowed list for the classics line (as was said they are free to do any toy, mini-comic (prior to filmation appearance) or MYP character)
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    It's too bad Filmation is off limits, though I can see where the MYP version of Marzo would make for a more interesting figure (a skinny guy in leotards wasn't an imposing visage, though the character was far more interesting and quietly sinister than the MYP version). Either Evilseed would make a good figure, though, again, the original was a better, slightly more disturbing character in the story.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    IF I'm not mistaken Mattel was allowed to use filmation characters in MYP so long as they were redesigned and they were different in presentation (and origin) than their filmation counterparts...
    This sounds an awfully bit presumptuous and as if what you know now is making up for what you didn't know then, whether it applies or not. I might be wrong, although I doubt it in this case, but it seems a bit like 2+2=5 here.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Reilly View Post
    This surely was answered in the past, but I can't find the old thread, so sorry if it still exists.

My question is: How was MYP able to use/revamp Count Marzo and Evilseed in the new show though both are Filmation characters? Did they get ERs permission, did Mattel buy the character rights?
    The entertainment rights to MOTU were still under Hallmark's control when the MYP series was being created.

That may have something to do with it.

Who still OWNS filmation's right's for the characters?

Sobody who is hating real bad I guess....

Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    Who still OWNS filmation's right's for the characters?
    Entertainment Rights. They bought the Filmation library some time in 2004, I believe.

Man, Mattel really should get their act together and buy back the rights to the old cartoons. It's really annoying that despite creating MOTU in the first place, there are aspects of it that they don't own.