Thread: Lighting your MOTUC Displays

Lighting your MOTUC Displays

I'm shopping for LED tap lights and other lighting options. I'm curious how many of you have some sort of lighting scheme for your figs. I'm not going to be purchasing a big white clear glass case with lighting built in. I'm trying to rig a 20 dollar ikea book shelf and wall shelves

Any pics and stories are appreciated as well as any links or ideas are welcome.

I will say that the wall shelves are not great for figures not on stands. My Adora fig fell about 3 feet to my desk and chipped / dented her chest area. This may be a n00b mistake on my part. Figures like Faceless One and Count Marzo will stand through a plane crash.

Heroic Warrior
    I plan on building my display in some Ikea modules with some glass-front shelf inserts... And then I'll probably use some of their 4-pod light sets, maybe the multicolored ones to provide different moods to the different "scenes".

Ahh.. http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/10192107/

Thank you because this just opened me up to a whole "bookcase lighting" section. http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/ca...ng_room/16281/

Heroic Warrior
    The Dioder are the ones I've bought in the past for other lighting needs. Haven't seen a reason to pay nearly double the price, personally, for the Inreda. My shelving will likely be a few of http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/10103088/ with http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/50171754/ in each section to try to prevent the Arizona dust from getting too thick.

Do you have a current lit display?

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    The tap lights can help if the display is somewhat shadowed, but the light is fairly soft. One thing I've used is the little spotlights that go along with the Christmas villages you see around the holidays. Lemax makes some good ones, and they run on three AA batteries (although you can get an adapter to plug them in). They are small and bright, are adjustable on their little stands, and, if you get a little creative, you can put them almost anywhere in the display to light it however you want. They also make some purple spotlights the same way (those are usually out at Michael's when their Spookytown stuff comes in for Halloween), and those act like black lighting. A scene with Scareglow under those lights would make him look like he's glowing even if the lights aren't out.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

scottmetzger - Yeah I would like tap lights or something more spotlight-ish for a darker bookcase. I would like to keep some characters in the shadows. Not just baddies but I think Glimmer would look cool like that.

Kelvacos - I can't believe those cases are so affordable. Is it easy to affix the led lights to the top to shoot the light downward? I see you light them from under. Is this a preference?

I should just rename this thread Ikea Appreciation

Yeah it's just a preference but you can easily to have them shoot the light downward, I'll be posting pics without the figs later during the week so you guys can see exactly what I did.

Quote Originally Posted by Genyosha View Post
    Kelvacos - I can't believe those cases are so affordable. Is it easy to affix the led lights to the top to shoot the light downward? I see you light them from under. Is this a preference?

I should just rename this thread Ikea Appreciation
    FS MOTU Vintage figures in Zoloworld cases and mini comics:

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...oloworld-cases

I am not sure if you guys considered this yet, but most plastics are vulnerable to 'sunburn'....fading or yellowing of the plastic. I know that if I ever decide to light up my displays, I would go with indirect lighting or translucent shelves that I can underlight through a diffusing film. Direct light or especially sunlight will damage them over time. Just a heads up.
    Darth Pardus

Classic Want list: Stinkor shield, Extendar, Snake Face, Snout Spout, Snake mountain bridge and net, Fright Fighter, Talon fighter radar dish, jetsled, tower tools, cliff climber, scuba attack, turbodactyl, bionatops, tyrantosaur, and Eternia

Totally agree, I don't turn them on and leave them on all night, basically sometimes just to visually enjoy them and to show them off when friends come by

Quote Originally Posted by Hoffrod View Post
    I am not sure if you guys considered this yet, but most plastics are vulnerable to 'sunburn'....fading or yellowing of the plastic. I know that if I ever decide to light up my displays, I would go with indirect lighting or translucent shelves that I can underlight through a diffusing film. Direct light or especially sunlight will damage them over time. Just a heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoffrod View Post
    These are almost all LED lights, which don't have those sorts of issues, thankfully. Most light issues are created by UV light, and LED's contain none, and these lights are actually so low powered anyway, you really couldn't be any safer unless you simply kept them in the dark. They also don't get warm at all, much less hot like regular light sources.

I've actually switched over to LED bulb lighting all over my house and what a difference it makes - they come on instantly (unlike halogen) and they use a fraction of the electricity of traditional bulbs, and even less than the "low energy" hallogens. I leave a light on in a bathroom at night, and when I get up in the morning I can put my hand bare on the bulb and can't even feel it's on. They are usually more expensive, like $8-15 a bulb, but they are also rated to last for 20-30 years, depending on the model.

I just learned something new!!! Thanks!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritOfTeela View Post
    These are almost all LED lights, which don't have those sorts of issues, thankfully. Most light issues are created by UV light, and LED's contain none, and these lights are actually so low powered anyway, you really couldn't be any safer unless you simply kept them in the dark. They also don't get warm at all, much less hot like regular light sources.

I've actually switched over to LED bulb lighting all over my house and what a difference it makes - they come on instantly (unlike halogen) and they use a fraction of the electricity of traditional bulbs, and even less than the "low energy" hallogens. I leave a light on in a bathroom at night, and when I get up in the morning I can put my hand bare on the bulb and can't even feel it's on. They are usually more expensive, like $8-15 a bulb, but they are also rated to last for 20-30 years, depending on the model.

Heroic Warrior
    Those glass cases are actually more cost effective than the non-glass shelving I was looking at, especially after I add the glass door inserts. My only thing is that I like the idea of being able to keep each "scene" lit on its own... Decisions, decisions.

I've been using the led light strip from ikea and they work beautifully. I've put them on my masters shelf and my transformers shelf. They work great for any light piping the transformers have.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from Android app

A lot of good points and ideas here.

My hope is to have a clear case now for general toy display. I like a darker/plain bookcase for the more…narrative or dramatic displays. I change out what I keep displayed every two weeks or so. My figures are usually part decoration and part inspiration while I draw. Unless i'm photographing them my figures never get hit by sunlight but i'll be careful about how long they are exposed to light in general.

photo 1.jpgphoto 2.jpgphoto 3.jpgphoto 4.jpgphoto 5.jpg

Hey guys,

Here are some photos of my MOTUC collection.

Each shelf is lit with LED lighting from Home Depot:

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/39-i...-dirver/845870

I have each shelf light connected to a single remote, so I click one button and the whole show is lit!
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by ramaman View Post
    photo 1.jpgphoto 2.jpgphoto 3.jpgphoto 4.jpgphoto 5.jpg

Hey guys,

Here are some photos of my MOTUC collection.

Each shelf is lit with LED lighting from Home Depot:

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/39-i...-dirver/845870

I have each shelf light connected to a single remote, so I click one button and the whole show is lit!
    Awesome!

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritOfTeela View Post

This is some really good and useful info; I have some displays in the hall that are up close to the light in the ceiling, and I did have some concern about long term effects (I didn't want the white Sorceress turning yellow over time). Do you get the same amount of light with them? I tried some energy savers a while back and the hall was noticeably dimmer with them.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    This is some really good and useful info; I have some displays in the hall that are up close to the light in the ceiling, and I did have some concern about long term effects (I didn't want the white Sorceress turning yellow over time). Do you get the same amount of light with them? I tried some energy savers a while back and the hall was noticeably dimmer with them.
    LEDs actually can be brighter sometimes. I replaced a few of the bulbs in my home fixtures which had old incandescent bulbs, and the new ones seemed brighter. The light felt more natural, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mjharwood View Post
    LEDs actually can be brighter sometimes. I replaced a few of the bulbs in my home fixtures which had old incandescent bulbs, and the new ones seemed brighter. The light felt more natural, as well.
    Yup, exactly as mjharwood said. The quality of light, the cold operating temp, the very little use of wattage, the super-long life (the model I use the most says something like 23.5 years of use 3/hrs/day). The only caveat is the price, but they have come way down. I noticed that places like Lowe's are really pushing them. Incandecents are going the way of the do-do bird one of these days, and suck a huge amount of electricity. Halogen is better with electricity but the quality of light stinks, in my opinion (and I hate how variable they are especially in colder weather, even inside). LED is even better on electricity than halogen, and the quality of light is the best out of all of them, IMO. It's very consistent, no flickers, etc.

Regular LED bulbs that you stick in a lamp are like $8-10 now, depending on what type of fixtures are in your ceiling, you can pay as much as $25-30 for "fancier" ones. I've mostly just bought the basic ones since that's all I've really needed - thought I did buy a $20 one for a lamp that had a low shade that I wanted an odd shaped bulb for.

As to the light itself - I'm a 100-watt type of guy, and I think the 60w equivalent in LED is perfect. I think it's like 800 lumens? I've replaced places I previously had 100w with the 800 lumen/60w equivalents and I'm more than happy. Plus, they only use like 9 or 10w (which again is even less than halogen).

These LED bulbs and steam-in-the-bag veggies for the microwave are two of the better inventions popularized this century.