View Poll Results: Do you like He-Ro's new backstory?

Voters
154. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, him being a Cosmic Warrior is fine by me.

64 41.56%
  • No, I prefer his original backstory.

40 25.97%
  • I don't care either way.

33 21.43%
  • Get He-Ro out of MOTU!!!!

17 11.04%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: He-Ro's New Backstory: Yay or Nay?

He-Ro's New Backstory: Yay or Nay?

Just curious to see what the majority feel about the changes to He-Ro's backstory.

I'd prefer that they would just leave it alone. If this line was based off of a new cartoon series or movie that changed things up that would be one thing, but since it is just a classics line, I don't really feel that it is necessary.

He-Ro filled the role of King Grayskull.
    He-Ro is Grayskull, he's an ancestor of He-Man and who originated the Power of Grayskull.
    He already had a cool story
    I don't feel any need to change it.

Defender of the Elders Red Trinity's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I'd prefer that they would just leave it alone. If this line was based off of a new cartoon series or movie that changed things up that would be one thing, but since it is just a classics line, I don't really feel that it is necessary.
    I agree 100% with Firefly. A few years ago when they made She-Ra they used her original backstory on the back of her box. Even though that story wouldn't have fit in with the MYP cartoon, fans were just thrilled to have She-Ra at all.

They should do the same thing with He-Ro, and should have done the same thing with King Grayskull, without shoehorning the idea in there that he and He-Ro "fought side by side."

Luck is for losers GK Version 1's Avatar
    Hmm. No sir, I didn't like it.

The New Adventures of Ion HeManOfGreyskull's Avatar
    Well, since we now have King Grayskull, I feel it's okay to remove He-Ro from that aspect of MOTU. I'm not very attached to a character who was only ever revealed in shadow once in a minicomic and never had his toy come out. So Mattel can change all they want. It's like the multiple versions of Transformers characters we have now.
    Rob
    Captain Picard:So...five card stud, nothing wild...and the sky's the limit.

I gotta say that I really don't care!!
    He-Ro doesn't really register as a MOTU character to me so thay can do what ever they like.
    I thought this latest story behind him was fine.
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

At this point, I don't care. I see potential opportunities as well as potential problems. If done right, it could work fine. If done wrong, it could end as a bad retcon.

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    I like it! TBH I don't really care much for He-Ro, to me all he was/is, is a prototype which never got made into a toy. If they are making him more of a bigger character and getting a figure, then that's fine with me.
    I like the 'new' origin, or whatever it is.

Defender of the Elders Red Trinity's Avatar
    I think it would be neat if Mattel tried to be respectful to everyone and gave a generic bio on the back of his box along the lines of this:

"Some have said the mysterious He-Ro was the first recipient of the powers of Grayskull. Others say he was a cosmic warrior being chased through the galaxy by the evil Horde. One thing is certain, He-Ro used his mystic powers to fight the forces of evil throughout ancient Eternia."

Maybe that would make everyone happy.

Cambridge, New Zealand (formerly South Africa)
    I said "yes" on the poll, but I don't really care. :P I think it'd be too crowded if they have both King G and He-Ro in there filling the same role.
    Evil Simian Mechanic of the Horde!

Master of Power Suction Killian's Avatar
    My personal origin for He-Ro is that he, at some point in the past weilded the Power of Grayskull and years later was summoned to the future to help He-Man when the forces of Skeletor, Hordak and King Hiss became too much of a threat.

It doesn't fit in with the other He-Ro concepts but I think it would work well, so I'm not too bothered what has been said on a dvd extra or what it will say on the back of an action figure box.

I'm just glad there's a chance Mattel may finally give us the He-Ro action figure!
    He who dies with the most MOTUC wins!

I am quite intrigued by the idea actually... So I say YES!
    – No comment.

as a child I only collected the toys not the comics and I can't remember him ever being mentioned in the filmation or myp cartoons so I had never even heard of He-Ro until I joined these boards... so personally I think they can do what they like with him as I have no emotional attachment to the character.

Besides I don't mind people coming up with new bios and back stories for characters as that is what me and Darth have done in the New Vision
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

I don't care in the least. I never had a shred of attachment to his vintage origin (which just barely even exists).

And it's entirely possible that this new origin isn't even THAT different. We don't know all the details.

Quote Originally Posted by Flor2099 View Post
    And it's entirely possible that this new origin isn't even THAT different. We don't know all the details.
    True. Since he was powerful enough to send He-Man and Skeletor back to their own time in the one mini-comic, I guess there could be some room there for him being able to travel across the universe. heh

Quote Originally Posted by Flor2099 View Post
    I don't care in the least. I never had a shred of attachment to his vintage origin (which just barely even exists).

I totally agree and I even feel that his very existence just complicates things.
    Don't hesitate in dealing with Cilman Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    True. Since he was powerful enough to send He-Man and Skeletor back to their own time in the one mini-comic, I guess there could be some room there for him being able to travel across the universe. heh
    Very true.
    We may be jumping the gun a bit too much.
    Maybe Toyguru is keeping his story much more faithful to the original than what we are believign right now.

I don't much care.
    I'll be happy to buy a MotU classics He-Ro.
    I think the character has great potential. But as to how he's written into the MotU world? It's out of my hands, Mattel can do what they want, it's their property.

If the Green Goddess comes about, it'll be interesting to see what they do there.
    Be it they just sell her as who she is, a concept of the Sorceress.
    Or if they try to write her in as her own character in the MotU mythos, they'll do what they want. Obviously if you know me, you'd know I'll be very interested to see what they do. I may like it fine, I may not, I'll cross that bridge IF I get to it. I have my take on her, and that will never change, unless I actually like their take on her better.

I see He-Ro as a similar case. I know others don't, but I do. He's a concept of a character that barely made it into a minicomic back in the day. He's more important of a concept than the Green Goddess was, because he was to be a central character for a new line. But that new line never happened. So a concept he remained... Until now... Where it looks like he may be coming back in the MotUC line.

And back full circle to his apparent story? I don't really care what Mattel does with his story. I would have preferred that Mattel consult some of He-Ro's biggest fans before they went and made something up. But it's out of my control, thus I don't fuss.

I wasn't tied to his backstory from the original line. I am a King Grayskull fan, and love his story and what he adds to MotU. Seeing him and He-Ro palin' around together with the elders kickn' Evil wherever they find it is for the most part cool with me.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

Hold on I'm a little slow this early in the morning. He-Ro's original back story is he is King Adams & Queen Teelas adopted son yes?
    But now is there talks to make him so cosmic warrior from the past? Is that wat this is about?
    HAHAHAHA
    Xena & She-Ra Rule

Down With the Sickness! Jack T. Chance's Avatar
    The Planet Garnet, AKA Hellhole, Space Sector 0017
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Just curious to see what the majority feel about the changes to He-Ro's backstory.
    WHAT changes to his back story?!?

I just checked the front page of the .Org, and I did a search of all forums for any topics with "he-ro", "he ro", or "He-Ro" in the title, and it found NOTHING... not even THIS THREAD (probably because you put "He-Ro's".)

So, what is this poll referring to? I'm very confused.
    On June 17th, 2011...
    No evil shall escape
    his sight!

The yshould have just left it alone. If anything it will just create more confusion. He-Ro should have been next in line after KG.
    Mike Jr. 1983-2008 the void left will never be filled. Rest in Peace Brother.
    Sgt Weigand

eBay Feedback

" Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elswhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
    --Calvin and Hobbes

Quote Originally Posted by Xena-She-Ra View Post
    Hold on I'm a little slow this early in the morning. He-Ro's original back story is he is King Adams & Queen Teelas adopted son yes?
    But now is there talks to make him so cosmic warrior from the past? Is that wat this is about?
    HAHAHAHA
    Might be best to get everyone on the same page as to what the character He-Ro has been about.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/He-Ro

Personally, I'm a "what if...?" type of fan and wouldn't mind seeing a prototype see the light of day just like we did with Keldor. I'm not necessarily crazy about how that one turned out, but you know the creators were giving a shout out to us hardcore He-Fans out there who grew up with this franchise as kids.

I loved the dinosaurs of Power of Grayskull anyway because I was big into the Definitely Dinosaurs line waaaaay back in the day. Also, it was kinda cool for me to see how powerful King Hiss was. You know, to see that who had banished the Snake Men only for He-Man to ultimately fight them in the future. Guess that Dogpatch experience lit up that character for me big time.

Still, I haven't seen much of King Grayskull's story other than just a snippet through a mound of snow on my TV. All I gathered from that and confirmed from the ORG is he went up against Hordak. Even with all that craziness in mind, I'm optimistic like mad there's a way to just mesh the two.

Even if it's not the POG He-Ro and the Son of He-Man, I'd still be happy to see the trademark go out to the masses. So, if I'm gathering that He-Ro is now a cosmic being (possibly) like Zodak, I'm interested. Especially, if he's from the past, that makes it even better. Just make Eldor his mentor or something to that effect and I'm sold.

This universe is big enough for all of them.
    I make my own MOTU video game stuff. Check it out.

dA - wallbie.deviantart.com
    YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/user/wallbieswarriors
    Daily Motion - http://www.dailymotion.com/wallbie#video=x14o6e4

I'm fine with it; it's definetly different, but that's okay by me.

~W~
    Tales of Masters of the Universe
    The story of Masters of the Universe - spanning from Skeletor's origin to the final fate of He-Man!
    Masters of the Universe: New Legacy
    Find out what happened after the 200x series! Featuring stories and artwork from throughout the fan community!

WANTED: Stratos, Webstor, Horde Prime, Spikor, Snake Mountain stands, and Gygor

I like the "Cosmic Warrior" title because it sounds like they're bringing the "Universe" back into "Masters of the Universe".

One of the things I really disliked about the 200x story was the lack of any cosmic/space elements. Everything was confined to Eternia (with the exception of the Despondos dimension).

I want the science fiction/space/universe elements brought back into MOTU.
    He-Ro being a Cosmic Warrior and King Grayskull being a magical barbarian is awesome.

That's what is great about MOTU. You can have space warriors fighting along side barbarians.
    SUPERHEMANMIKE

"It tasted good..." - Gwildor