View Poll Results: Who's is the best Skeletor?

Voters
122. You may not vote on this poll
  • Alan Oppenheimer (Filmation Cartoon)

57 46.72%
  • Frank Langella (Live action movie)

43 35.25%
  • Campbell Lane (New Adventures of He-Man)

3 2.46%
  • Brian Dobson (New Cartoon)

15 12.30%
  • Uncertain

4 3.28%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who played the best Skeletor?

Court Magician Raider of Shadows's Avatar

Who played the best Skeletor?

Seeing as he's a pivotal character in the mythos and possibly the most different in all versions, I was wonder who everyone thought portrayed the best Skeletor.

Personally, while Campbell Lane is my favorite actor out of the 4 of them, I think that Brian Dobson did by far the best variation.
    Last edited by Raider of Shadows; March 21, 2009 at 11:54am.
    -Finding Nemo Auditions-
    Hordak of Despondos reading for the part of Dori the Fish, Take 1:

*AHEM* I shall call him squishy and he...will be MINE!

I think Brian Dobson probably gave us the best, though I think that, had the NA version of Skeletor been more serious, Campbell Lane would have been the best Skeletor of all time.

I voted for Campbell Lane anyway, as I think he did a great job, even though NA Skeletor was written to be far more humorous and sarcastic. The character just felt more real and natural to me.

I like Frank Langella and Allan Oppenheimer too, but I think the Filmation Skeletor was too bumbling and inadvertently humorous.

It seemed to me that NA's Skeletor always called He-Man "She-Man." There was some sort of hiss or a breath of air the actor took before he pronounced his "H." Ha, there's something for the drinking game thread!

I went with Frank Langella all the way. He brought out a Shakesperean essence to Skeletor that I feel the character's always had. On top of that, I'm royally kicking myself for not waiting outside of the theatre for Mr. Langella when I saw him on Broadway in a production called "Fortune's Fool." He was hysterical as a bawdy member of high society with plenty of homosexual innuendo to boot. If I wouldn't have been so exhausted from being up 24 hours before my arrival, I'd probably have enthusiastically handed him my program to sign and told him how much I enjoyed his performance as Skeletor.

Besides, he's played Dracula before. Have the other three actors tapped into that darkness? I'd say that ability was a key element in his successful protrayal of Skeletor.

Peace.
    I make my own MOTU video game stuff. Check it out.

dA - wallbie.deviantart.com
    YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/user/wallbieswarriors
    Daily Motion - http://www.dailymotion.com/wallbie#video=x14o6e4

Frank Langella has to win hands down, he made Skeletor to a villian to be feared.
    Mike Jr. 1983-2008 the void left will never be filled. Rest in Peace Brother.
    Sgt Weigand

eBay Feedback

" Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elswhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
    --Calvin and Hobbes

Langella.

I really liked DObson's mix of Oppenheimer and Langella, but Frank really made Skeletor the Evil Lord of Destruction with simply a turn of phrase. he brought evil, menace and validity to the role.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Credit must go to Oppenheimer for creating such a perfect voice that most people associate with the Evil Lord of Destruction, and Langella really did make him a serious threat, but I voted for Dobson's perfectly balanced combination of the two. He brought Langella's menace to Oppenheimer's characterization. Brilliant.
    "I damned the world to save my daughter once... and I will do it for her again."
    I do custom action figures, commissioned art, and I will make any Masters of the Universe costume, tailored to you!
    View my website! http://www.havocstaff.50megs.com

Frank Langella
    The gleam of the Power Sword lights your way as you enter the fantastic world of Eternia...

I would be thrilled if Frank Langella did the voice of Skeletor for the new film. Say what you will about the old film, but you can't knock Frank's version of Skeletor.

Co-Creator of the NV
    Frank Langella is at the top
    Dobson is second
    Oppenheimer is last by a mile

I don't count the NA guy because I only saw one ep so I can't fairly say where he stands.

However, as much as I think Langella did a wonderful job, I am flat out against him being connected to the movie at all (as i am against any actor from teh first movie being involved in the new one).
    Last edited by Darth Latveria; December 24, 2008 at 08:22pm.

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    Langella was the best, always my favourite portrayal of Skeletor - the way he should be.

Dobson a huge improvement over the old Skeletor.

Langella changed my life forever. His Skeletor is gargantuan.
    "We're the real deal, you know." - Jake Kong Jr.

GHOSTBUSTERS: http://filmationghostbuster.proboards.com/

BLACKSTAR: http://johnblackstar.proboards.com/

Frank Langella did a really good performance.
    One of the few good things (if not the only) in that movie.
    The gleam of the Power Sword lights your way as you enter the fantastic world of Eternia...

Alan O--easily!
    RIP Andy Conrad.

Heroic Warrior
    Langella? Better than Alan O? Really, folks? I'm shocked. Alan was much more menacing, and set the tone for the MOTU villan. It is always nearly impossible to beat the first of any character, though. We're all so d@mn sentimental.

Langella hand's down. He was incredible...

Alan Oppenheimer. His Skeletor was one of the great classic 80s villains.

Is Langella still acting on Broadway? If so, I'm gonna stake out that theatre, wait for him, and give him a MIB Skeletor figure to sign. How cool would that be?
    I just saw Chicago at the Ambassador (awesome)...and we're probably gonna take the kids to see Lion King in a few months...so I'll do that then!

Oh, btw, Langella was the best Skeletor
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

Langella all the way.
    He's the main reason why I still watch the movie from time to time...

I truly forgot I was watching an actor with a latex mask when he delivered all of those famous lines!
    "I dare anything! I am Skeletor! "
    So you were, Frankie

None could laugh like Alan.

My favorite is of course, the original flavor, Oppenheimer, for sentimental reasons and that he just defined the character for me.

Now, Langella is wicked awesome, and an easy second, followed just a bit by Dobson. Lane would be third, but I've only watched a couple of NA eps.

Now, in all fairness, I think each was perfect for what his role was, as each Skeletor differs in several ways.

Langella is perhaps the most quotable, however...
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

I have to go with Frank Langella. By far the most evil, most ruthless and best portrayal of what Skeletor is all about. Absolute Power!!
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

I had to go with Langella. It was a hard decision though. I really think each have brought a great version of the character. I think, in my head, Alan O is what I think of when I hear Skeletor's voice, but Langella had the best performance of them all.
    Coming Soon. My line of 5.5'' action figures. EonQuest.com
    fwww.facebook.com/eonquest
    www.twitter.com/eon_quest

Frank Langella, though Oppenheimer was awesome too, really hard to pick this one but Langella's Skeletor is how the character should always have been portrayed. I also support Langella as the voice of the new Skeletor, that would be awesome.

Oppenhemier is the coolest voice actor ...ever
    100 % my fave Skeletor
    Last edited by HORDE TROOPER; December 15, 2008 at 08:12pm.

Frank Langella just got nominated for a Golden Globe and an OSCAR!!!!

If they want to give the new MOTU movie some class, and keep the old school fans happy, they really need to give the voice acting job to Langella. I doubt Langella would want to do any live action work on a He-Man movie, but a paycheque for one or two days of recording his voice in a soundbooth? I highly doubt he would say no to that!