Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you think She-Ra is better than He-Man?

Do you think She-Ra is better than He-Man?

If so, state your reasons.

Mine are:

1. More interesting overall premise.

2. More likable and fun heroes. Most notably She-Ra herself. She tries to be a paragon of virtue like He-Man, but at least she has an attitude about it (love the way she snaps at Huntara after Huntara calls her a coward).

3. Better villain lineup. Skeletor himself is cool but most of his followers are pretty lame, especially most of the new ones they added in the second season.

What do you think?

Court Magician Raider of Shadows's Avatar
    The only thing I liked better than He-Man were (IMO) better opening music and the fact that the Horde was supposedly in control of Eternia. Hordak himself seemed to me to be more bumbling than Skeletor. Oh and Horde Prime really did seem like a menacing villian.
    -Finding Nemo Auditions-
    Hordak of Despondos reading for the part of Dori the Fish, Take 1:

*AHEM* I shall call him squishy and he...will be MINE!

Sorry but this is pointless question and a pointless thread!
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

Quote Originally Posted by Eamon View Post
    Sorry but this is pointless question and a pointless thread!
    In a pointless forest full of pointless trees into which Oblio and a dog named Arrow were exiled for not having a point of their own...

[An arrow flies into a tree-trunk from just off screen. Camera pans to show Bow standing proudly]
    BOW: There, NOW this topic isn't "point"less!

I rest my case!!
    www.eamonart.com

I rest my case!!
    *Giggles*

But seriously...

We have topics like "is Loo-Kee your favorite character?" and "Should I get a tattoo?" and this is the topic that gets singled out for "pointlessness"?

"Oh dearie my!" Mer-Man's Minion's Avatar
    It's not pointless, POP is better than MOTU.

I do like MOTU and have fond memories of watching the series as a kid, but POP is just a much better series overall. The characters are generally deeper and more explored, the premise is much more exciting and "root for the underdogs"-ish with the Rebellion fighting against The Horde, Hordak is such a complex and interesting villain, the whole "women in power" thing both on the Rebellion's side and in the Horde's high ranks is so interesting, Etheria is a much more beautiful and interesting planet...need I go on?

I rest my case.
    Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

They started to get continuity on a better track with PoP (Larry D did good there).

But the rebels never connected as a group. In He-Man, there was a real connection with characters which gave it certain charm.

I think they are both as good!!

I think the overall storyline was stronger, with a better use of continuity, and for the most part, the stories in the first season were far more interesting than those in the first season of He-Man.

But the second season is awful...really quite terrible. And the cast of good guy's just are'nt as likeable or interesting as He-Man's. The voice acting is also enough to drive me mad sometimes...too many squeaky voiced female characters.

Chris here...

For me personally, I find She-Ra the more entertaining series because it has a more interesting premise, and also because I think She-Ra as a character is (marginally) more interesting than He-Man.

If I was going to give an honest assessment of the series as a whole, I would say that IMO She-Ra at its best was better than He-Man at its best, but She-Ra at its worst was worse than He-Man at its worst - most of She-Ra's season 2 I regard as significantly weaker than He-Man's second season...

Another anecdote I often slot into these types of threads is that for a while in the 1990s I completely lost interest in MOTU - but, I have remained a lifelong She-Ra fan throughout! It wasn't until I rediscovered MOTU via first the Internet and then my good friend James "Busta Toons" Eatock that I recaptured my passion for it, but I actually found James' and Zadoc Angell's old Episode Review Website looking for She-Ra sites!

So, sorry Eamon, but this thread isn't pointless! (j/k!)

Take care...
    Are you fed up with the problems you've been experiencing buying from MattyCollector.com?

If so, please consider joining the Facebook group Mattel Toys - Petition for Change, to present a united voice to Mattel calling for change.

MOTU Classics is an amazing toyline, and collecting it should be fun. Let's try and make a difference.
    --------

www.thundercatslair.org

I like She-Ra but He-Man is much better.
    Mike Jr. 1983-2008 the void left will never be filled. Rest in Peace Brother.
    Sgt Weigand

eBay Feedback

" Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elswhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
    --Calvin and Hobbes

I'm Anime Hyper-Detailed Battle_Brak's Avatar
    If you are referring to the Filmation series then She-Ra is much better. There really is no contest there. She-Ra actually worked where the majority of He-Man episodes felt like animation experiments gone awry. I can watch most episodes of She-Ra and stomach the plot, dialogue, and storytelling. I can barely make it through any of the old He-Man cartoons.

First of all the characters were all much more believable. The acting was better in general and I could buy that the rebels and the Horde were real people who interacted in a believable fashion. In He-Man I really don't feel that Duncan is Teela's father or that Adam is their close friend, or really that any of these characters are more than distant acquaintances.

Secondly, Skeletor's crew was laughable in Filmation. They were all dumb as a box of rocks and every episode seemed like another hairbrained scheme. The Horde were also dumbed down by Filmation, but they posed a much more realistic threat to the heroes.

Third, She-Ra was more powerful than He-Man on just about every level. She had powers he couldn't dream of. She had a flying steed. Her sword morphed for cryin' out loud. Yet at the same time her crew was more competent than He-Man's. Yeah she often had to save them from peril, but nowhere near as often as He-Man had to save his crew.

Finally, the production values of the show were raised considerably. The writing was solid and there was a bit of continuity between episodes. The animation had improved. There is less of a dependence on stock animation and overall the colors and effects are brighter and more appealing.

Both shows have its ups and downs. Both series had their own episodes that stood out, and at the same time both had episodes not so good.

The only thing that wasn't done was widget vs a twigget

Naturally, I think some of Skeletor's bests moments was in some of the She-ra eps, firstly how he boasts how he defeated both SHe-ra and Hordak in one day, secondly how he says he hates spoo

Quote Originally Posted by 8-Bit Star View Post
    *Giggles*

But seriously...

We have topics like "is Loo-Kee your favorite character?" and "Should I get a tattoo?" and this is the topic that gets singled out for "pointlessness"?
    *looks to all the posts!
    There ya go, what do I know!
    Folks don't seem to think it's pointless.

A few well written epsiodes of POP does not a better series make.
    I can't watch POP.
    I've tried but it's a show that was quite clearly for girls and it's painful to watch.
    I thought so as a kid and I'm even more convinced now.

I do get the impression that 8 Bit 8-Bit Star was referring to the over all brand though?!
    In which case my point above still applies. It was a toyline for girls.
    As I am not a girl, I have no experience with playing with POP toys.

To me it's kinda like comparing Barbie and GI Joe.
    This is why I thought it was a pointless thread.
    www.eamonart.com

Master of Power Suction Killian's Avatar
    She-Ra blows He-Man out of the water. I mean, I love MOTU, but POP is what keeps me liking it so much after so many years.

Whenever Skeletor appeared in She-Ra, he tended to be a more ligitimate threat than the way he bumbled around acting like a kid in MOTU,

She-ra and co had the Horde, a huge intergalactic empire in charge of their planet, the story was way more epic,

The bad guys were better designed and characterised,

There was a good varience of good guys whereas most He-Man episodes were He-Man, Teela, Man-At-Arms, Ram-Man and Orko having adventures, and rarely anyone else,

The continuity was a lot better, Modulok swapping series, Adora's strong origin and loads of references back to it,

It had more a sense of rulers of different kingdoms coming together against a huge threat, with Castaspella, Frosta, Angella etc in the rebellion, whereas MOTU was almost always, Skeletor Vs Eternos

I could go on all day lol.

I know a lot of people don't like seeing women in strong roles saving the day in cartoons etc. but it's sad when they let that blind them to some great writing and characterisation.
    He who dies with the most MOTUC wins!

Quote Originally Posted by Killian View Post

Whenever Skeletor appeared in She-Ra, he tended to be a more ligitimate threat than the way he bumbled around acting like a kid in MOTU,

She-ra and co had the Horde, a huge intergalactic empire in charge of their planet, the story was way more epic,

The bad guys were better designed and characterised,

There was a good varience of good guys whereas most He-Man episodes were He-Man, Teela, Man-At-Arms, Ram-Man and Orko having adventures, and rarely anyone else,

The continuity was a lot better, Modulok swapping series, Adora's strong origin and loads of references back to it,

It had more a sense of rulers of different kingdoms coming together against a huge threat, with Castaspella, Frosta, Angella etc in the rebellion, whereas MOTU was almost always, Skeletor Vs Eternos
    Have to agree with you there on everything you said. You made valid points showing the shows strength.

But what could of made the show better was to have Hordak portrayed as more competant, not the clownish approach.

As powerful as The Horde was portayed in the series, at the same time they were often portayed as a bunch of clowns, which in turn says alot about the heroes since they couldn't rid Etheria of a bunch of clowns

I know a lot of people don't like seeing women in strong roles saving the day in cartoons etc. but it's sad when they let that blind them to some great writing and characterisation.
    Where did this notion come from?
    Sorry man, but that's nonsense!
    www.eamonart.com

Hey Everyone,

For me it is "MotU", I do love "PoP" as well though! But for "MotU" told a story that was just as much about individualism and greed as anything. The motivation for a character like Skeletor, Hordak, King Hiss, or someone else to gain Castle Grayskull to rule the universe with unlimited power just really hits the right notes for me. Plus, in the Filmation/ MYP series you essentially have this Adam/ Randor Father/ Son relationship that highlights the narrow criteria through what is determined as acceptable masculine behaviour, such as, Adam not being fit for King due to his father's view that he is not a warrior or he is too much of a ladies man. I also agree that Adam/ He-Man seemed to have overall better chemistry with the supporting heroic warriors than Adora/ She-Ra. However, Adora/ She-Ra did have excellent chemistry with Sea Hawk and of course Adam/ He-Man.

"She-Ra" and "NA" are still important parts of the franchise for me, but they never touched on those same chords for me.

Take Care,
    Darren
    Mattel please, buy the He-Man and She-Ra cartoons from Entertainment Rights. If you owned Both Filmation related "MotU" cartoons, plus "NA" and "MYP" cartoons, you would be able to distribute any or all 4 cartoons to Television in the lead up to another relaunch or a live action movie. Plus, you could include Filmation and "NA" animated characters in "MotU:C"!

Long Live 'MOTU'!

Where did this notion come from?
    Sorry man, but that's nonsense!
    trust me, I've heard so many people over the years talk about how fighting and action are 'boy' things and are inapppropriate for girls, or criticise She-Ra for doing 'He-Man's job'

There's no way anyone could not be aware of people holding those attitudes surely?

trust me, I've heard so many people over the years talk about how fighting and action are 'boy' things and are inapppropriate for girls, or criticise She-Ra for doing 'He-Man's job'

There's no way anyone could not be aware of people holding those attitudes surely?
    Their loss. I mean I love Xena, Long Kiss Goodnight, She-Ra, Wonder Woman, etc. They are missing out.

Take Care,
    Darren
    Mattel please, buy the He-Man and She-Ra cartoons from Entertainment Rights. If you owned Both Filmation related "MotU" cartoons, plus "NA" and "MYP" cartoons, you would be able to distribute any or all 4 cartoons to Television in the lead up to another relaunch or a live action movie. Plus, you could include Filmation and "NA" animated characters in "MotU:C"!

Long Live 'MOTU'!

Fighting and action is usually considered a boys thing so that's a fair enough statement but to say that girls can't kick some ass is crazy talk!
    If this was red neck country, I might understand, but you are in Manchester England, a great cultural city! I find it hard to believe that folks would have such backward opinion.
    You sure, they aren't just He-man fans dissing She-ra becuase it's a girls brand? Or just people who don't like She-Ra?
    www.eamonart.com

IMO she must be pretty damn special, because ever since her series ended, writers on consecutive He-Man shows have been using or planning to use MAJOR plot points established in She-Ra: Princess of Power.

For instance, in the mini-comics, The Evil Horde originally consisted of only Hordak and a handful of renegades who weren't part of this enormous intergalactic empire. That's not to say the stories in those mini-comics weren't cool, but Hordak was just another Skeletor in those first few. She-Ra made him larger-than-life, by saying he had this army of Horde Troopers, etc.

Then there's the whole Rebellion thing. He-Man was never about winning back the planet or whatever. He and the heroic warriors were always firmly in control. But now, every story arc that followed plays it out as if they are freedom fighters or hint that's what it's leading up to.

Hell, even King Grayskull's quest was influenced by She-Ra's "The Stone In The Sword."

I do get the impression that 8 Bit 8-Bit Star was referring to the over all brand though?!
    Your impression is mistaken. I only do cartoons--no toys, no comic books (as anyone whose seen my rants on such knows), maybe video games if they exist, but mostly I stick to what's on the screen.

And when it wasn't Skeletor it was someone like the Game Master who no one wanted to hear about and who seemed to have no purpose outside of staking their own (usually weak) bid for world domination.

One thing struck me as funny... the DVD "Stories of He-Man" Documentaries have the writers saying they overused Skeletor, but it seems like they didn't use Skeletor near as often as they used lame one-shot villains.

Quote Originally Posted by thor View Post
    As powerful as The Horde was portayed in the series, at the same time they were often portayed as a bunch of clowns, which in turn says alot about the heroes since they couldn't rid Etheria of a bunch of clowns
    What, you've never heard of Killer Clowns From Outer Space?

You sure, they aren't just He-man fans dissing She-ra becuase it's a girls brand? Or just people who don't like She-Ra?
    Possibly, though I know plenty religious types who firmly believe the man's role is to work and the woman's role is to stay at home and cook.

Anyhoo... the Filmation writers interviewed on the DVD extras said that She-Ra was meant to be about strong female characters for the girls and a continuation of He-Man style action for the boys. The promotional material for the show in the 80's said similar things.
    It was never intended to be just a 'girl's show' like arguably My Little Pony or whatever.
    Obviously She-Ra was more popular with girls than boys in the 80's, little boys generally hate girls until they reach a certain age. And the toy range was very feminine oriented. If a new She-Ra cartoon came out, you'd probably see similar things. As adults though, it seems many guys that liked MOTU in the 80's now like and respect POP